PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario RPG confirmed for VC

Shrygue
May 30th, 2008, 19:31
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=190012&skip=yes)

Retro fans should be happy to know that Super Mario RPG is one step closer to the European Virtual Console, as Nintendo of Japan has confirmed the game will be hitting its VC in June.

The confirmation means that Nintendo has finally come to an agreement with Square Enix over releasing the game, breaking down the barriers for American and European releases. Sooner than later we hope...

On the downside, Japanese Wii owners will have to fork over 900 Wii Points to get the game. We have no reason to believe that the price point will be any different over here.

crouchingleech
May 30th, 2008, 19:35
Wow, I hope it comes out in America soon. This is one of my favorite games ever. Great news

urherenow
May 30th, 2008, 19:48
I've never played it, but you bet I'll play it when it hits the VC!

limming
May 30th, 2008, 20:22
If anyone has never played this game before, BUY IT ON VC!!!! It's one of my favorite games ever!!!

grossaffe
May 30th, 2008, 21:24
I love mario RPG, I still have my cartridge.
Since Nintendo has come to some kind of agreement with square, does that mean there could be a true sequel?

JKKDARK
May 30th, 2008, 21:31
Yes, Super Mario RPG. As long as they are RPG's, they are always welcomed :)

The Hombrew Hunter
May 30th, 2008, 22:08
Eaarth...

Bouuuuuuund....

darkness angel 777
May 30th, 2008, 22:09
YES!I've been waiting for this one. :)

kurtless
May 31st, 2008, 01:08
I played it partly on the snes but the cartridge battery ran out, and my memory got erased!! So, its nice thats going to be on the VC, I'll get it surely.

masterchief929
May 31st, 2008, 01:31
i have never played it but i bet it will be a good one to spend a lot of time playing.

kingslime80
May 31st, 2008, 01:49
I have to ask if anyone has experianced this on SMRPG.
My friend and I rented the game from a video store when it was still on the console. When we got to Seaside Town before fighting Yaridovich there was an item called the Spear in the shop saying it was for Toad on the equip window. We baught it figuring it would be good to have a weapon when we got him, but we ad to return it later that day. I've never seen this item on any other copy, either on the console or the emulator.
Was I seeing things, or has someone else seen this item? I figure this was probibaly a glitch or perhaps a late Beta that was shipped by accident, but I can't be sure.

Shadowblind
May 31st, 2008, 01:57
Hm...is there anything they won't humiliate Mario by doing?

Mario is now just being used to sell games that otherwise wouldn't be bought if they didn't have Mario. This is what Miyamoto wanted, huh....

grossaffe
May 31st, 2008, 02:29
I have to ask if anyone has experianced this on SMRPG.
My friend and I rented the game from a video store when it was still on the console. When we got to Seaside Town before fighting Yaridovich there was an item called the Spear in the shop saying it was for Toad on the equip window. We baught it figuring it would be good to have a weapon when we got him, but we ad to return it later that day. I've never seen this item on any other copy, either on the console or the emulator.
Was I seeing things, or has someone else seen this item? I figure this was probibaly a glitch or perhaps a late Beta that was shipped by accident, but I can't be sure.
Does your friend remember it? I've done pretty much everything there is to do in that game and i've never heard of the spear, and *spoiler kind of* toad never joins your party.

masterchief929
May 31st, 2008, 02:31

Mario is now just being used to sell games that otherwise wouldn't be bought if they didn't have Mario. This is what Miyamoto wanted, huh....

at first i thought it was a regular sidescrolling mario game until some of the other posts made me realize that u are right. they use mario to just sell games now. :/

firedragon_jing
May 31st, 2008, 05:07
I almost forgot about this game, and I still haven't beat it yet, I'll put it on my Wii in the morning

The Hombrew Hunter
May 31st, 2008, 06:39

Are you f**king kidding me?

Please tell me that was a joke.

Both Square and Nintendo collaborated on this game to make one of Mario's deepest (and actually funniest...The third Star Piece still makes me laugh a bit each time.) adventures. Strange monsters, living blue dolls, yellow whiny puffballs, etc.

Regardless, this game was made way back in the day and it's one of the best Mario games out there, AND one of the best SNES RPGs made.

I mean, this was the first time Bowser assisted Mario and they did a /good/ job of it.

Play it before you bash it, because you've obviously never touched it before.

ninja9393
May 31st, 2008, 17:53

Both Square and Nintendo collaborated on this game to make one of Mario's deepest (and actually funniest...The third Star Piece still makes me laugh a bit each time.) adventures. Strange monsters, living blue dolls, yellow whiny puffballs, etc.

Regardless, this game was made way back in the day and it's one of the best Mario games out there, AND one of the best SNES RPGs made.

I mean, this was the first time Bowser assisted Mario and they did a /good/ job of it.

I 2nd that, sorry shadow, I usually agree on your posts but that one was not cool

goshogun1
May 31st, 2008, 18:32
I think SMRPG is a fantastic game and a nice addition to the series. Feels like Final Fantasy a la Mario. And the fact that the battles actually have you do more than just hit the fight option is great. Back in the day I remember trying to get an absurd amount of super jumps on an enemy.
Oh, and the Mario RPG series that followed, like Paper Mario and the Saga ones are some of the classiest RPGs I have ever played. A great use of the franchise IMO. Whoever hasn't bought Paper Mario yet on VC, BUY IT! It looks 10X crisper than it did on N64. When SMRPG comes out, buy that too! :thumbup:
As for unnecessary franchise games...that GBA Mario pinball, or Mario hoops DS felt kinda like a misuse of the Mario name to make money.

Shadowblind
May 31st, 2008, 18:37

Then i was obviously not talking about this game, but the idea in general. Its like throwing Mario in front of a sports game and then selling it because they know it wouldn't sell any other way. Oh wait, they already have...many times. Just glad they haven't done a Super Master Chief Tennis or Ultra Kratos Soccer EXTREME.

Thats construing my post to fit one game only. Things aren't that black and white. Do you think the majority of people buying the game would even look at it if it featured a normal cast like other Square games?

kingslime80
May 31st, 2008, 18:54
Do you think the majority of people buying the game would even look at it if it featured a normal cast like other Square games?

I would have. I judge games based on the potential for fun, and sometimes the level of challenge, but NEVER on what franchise they belong to. Final Fantasy 2 on the NES is god-awful, poor play stile anf no real character development, even the remake didn't really correct this. Kingdom Hearts from all accounts is a good, fun RPG with a decent level of challenge that just HAPPENS to be set in the Disney Universe, so why judge the Mario RPG to be a typical Mario-centric rip-off? If it never was made would we have the Paper Mario games? And just because you don't like more recent Mario spin-offs, not all games should be painted with the same brush, even in the same series.

Shadowblind
May 31st, 2008, 19:04
I would have. I judge games based on the potential for fun, and sometimes the level of challenge, but NEVER on what franchise they belong to. Final Fantasy 2 on the NES is god-awful, poor play stile anf no real character development, even the remake didn't really correct this. Kingdom Hearts from all accounts is a good, fun RPG with a decent level of challenge that just HAPPENS to be set in the Disney Universe, so why judge the Mario RPG to be a typical Mario-centric rip-off? If it never was made would we have the Paper Mario games? And just because you don't like more recent Mario spin-offs, not all games should be painted with the same brush, even in the same series.

Thats how you think, not how casual gamers think. And why are you again saying that I said the RPG was bad? I never said that, don't even pretend I said that. And the fanbase for that game would be split in half if it wasn't about Mario. Square's fanbase would like it while the base for Mario wouldn't even turn a blind eye to it.

The Hombrew Hunter
June 1st, 2008, 02:50
Then i was obviously not talking about this game, but the idea in general. Its like throwing Mario in front of a sports game and then selling it because they know it wouldn't sell any other way. Oh wait, they already have...many times. Just glad they haven't done a Super Master Chief Tennis or Ultra Kratos Soccer EXTREME.

Thats construing my post to fit one game only. Things aren't that black and white. Do you think the majority of people buying the game would even look at it if it featured a normal cast like other Square games?

Yes.

One, it's Square, and two, you gotta read the description of the game. It's funny and visually pleasing for it's time.

Thats how you think, not how casual gamers think. And why are you again saying that I said the RPG was bad? I never said that, don't even pretend I said that. And the fanbase for that game would be split in half if it wasn't about Mario. Square's fanbase would like it while the base for Mario wouldn't even turn a blind eye to it.

*facepalm* I used to think you were smart.

Shadowblind
June 1st, 2008, 03:21
Yes.

One, it's Square, and two, you gotta read the description of the game. It's funny and visually pleasing for it's time.

*facepalm* I used to think you were smart.

Then you know little of marketing strategies. You think Mario is not at all being used to simply sell games? You seem even more blind then I do.

masterchief929
June 1st, 2008, 03:40
meh... i'll probly play it... shadow and homebrew hunter... this argument isn't worth ruining a friendship. :p

Shadowblind
June 1st, 2008, 03:49
meh... i'll probly play it... shadow and homebrew hunter... this argument isn't worth ruining a friendship. :p

Your probably right.

I guess I'll try it out first, before I jump to any conclusions about mario in a ▄ RPG.

pibs
June 1st, 2008, 05:02
On the downside, Japanese Wii owners will have to fork over 900 Wii Points to get the game. We have no reason to believe that the price point will be any different over here.

Im sure the japanese will agree that its worth it:p

Jay6
June 1st, 2008, 06:07
I'll get Super Mario RPG. I'm looking forward to playing it again. Of course, I want Earthbound as well.

The Hombrew Hunter
June 1st, 2008, 08:03
Your probably right.

I guess I'll try it out first, before I jump to any conclusions about mario in a ▄ RPG.

Damn right you'll try it first.

koji2009
June 2nd, 2008, 19:17
No one should complain about having to spend $9USD to purchase the game on VC. When I originally bought the game in the US it was either $70 or $80 (due to the SA-1 chip that was manufactured in each cartridge) and it was worth every penny.

hjfbv1
June 3rd, 2008, 22:45
accualy if you want to break it down it was a truly amazing rpg. take that i played this game when i was YOUNG it was like the third game i played (ZELDA then something else.. dont remember) so i didnt know anything about mario before-hand. this was the game that made me love him.

for it being an RPG they put a spin on the normal i hit you then you hit me aspect we know so well for most RPGs. adding in button hitting to increase/decrease damage. it being nintendo they threw in tons of puzzles and random minigames (sliding down a moutain + in a barrel = fun) and then an odd storyline whith a new group of baddies so horriable they have bowser asking mario for help (but honestly.. a poodle if scarrier than bowser)

so truthfully its a good game, great for its time still good today.

P.S. im on the wii right now so sry for misspellings