PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Stakker PSP

MK2k
May 30th, 2008, 21:57
http://www.mk2k.net/serendipity/images/stkpsps01.png

Description
As a consequence to my previously released port of the Chipmunk Physics Engine to the PSP here is my new release: Stakker PSP.
Stakker PSP is a fun game of building up and destroying towers made out of falling blocks. Build up your tower on the platform and don't let any piece fall off. If you reach high enough, destroy it with a projectile coming from the left and get points for each piece falling off the platform and bouncing against the screen borders.
Stakker PSP is officially entered to the PSP-Hacks Homebrew Idol 2008 Competition.
It is coded in C++ using the JGE++ engine, the Chipmunk Physics engine and some funtions from pgeLib courtesey to InsertWittyName.
It features a hardcorbreaks soundtrack by DJ Runningman, thanks to him for permission to use his tunes.
Features

* Heavily physics-based Gameplay
* Online Score System
o View and upload your best attempts to mess with the best in the world!
o You can also point your web browser to http://stakkerpsp.mk2k.net/scores/
* GameShare
o Send this game over to your friend's PSP and have a nice fight for the first place in the online list :)
* MP3 Playback
o Automatically loads your music files in mp3 format from ms0:/MUSIC
o Plays back 44kHz mp3s in all bitrates you could think of
o Skip tracks, stop and start the player right in the game
* Custom Themes
o Put a JPEG image called theme.jpg in Stakker's directory to have it loaded as a new background (480x272 size recommended)

Video

Youtube Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn27Hi59bw0

Download

Update 2 via mk2k.net: http://www.mk2k.net/releases/psp/games/stakker_psp_update2-mk2k.zip

Notes

Read the readme.txt for installation notes and read the ingame instructions for button configuration.

pspmodel1001
May 31st, 2008, 02:23
Tryin' out

EDIT: Great game,great physics. I like it, pretty fun. :thumbup:

Buddy4point0
May 31st, 2008, 02:29
Looks really freaking good.
Very nice job dude.

Tets
May 31st, 2008, 05:03
This game is just fantastic loads of fun. However I've noticed that none of my MP3s are playing, or even showing up for that matter, and it occurs to me that it may be because they're all organized in subdirectories under MUSIC.

Otherwise, awesome work. I think I'm already slightly addicted. What we need now is online multiplayer. :D

Sp3ct0r
May 31st, 2008, 05:13
This looks awesome, great work! :D

AdamRav
May 31st, 2008, 09:38
Top game

it freezes too much though and maybe even have a save option somewhere

flaminfox
June 1st, 2008, 02:20
i hope for more improvements like, more levels.

also another update is available for users with nonworking analog sticks.

Update 2 SE (special version which does not utilize the analogue stick) via mk2k.net: http://www.mk2k.net/releases/psp/games/stakker_psp_update2_se-mk2k.zip

dangee
June 1st, 2008, 02:51
Great game, just love the bouncy GFX.
but it keeps freezing & crashing just like the Bugz game,
when using the MP3 player, or at about level 3-4 at random.
(3-40OEA, GAME folder, 3.40 kernel)

Looks like stack corruption (no pun intended)..

MK2k
June 1st, 2008, 10:24
You are the first reporting about random crashes, maybe update to a newer firmware (the game uses functionality provided by newer firmwares).

flaminfox
June 1st, 2008, 17:24
it doesnt freeze on 3.71m33-4 on a slim, lol

AdamRav
June 1st, 2008, 17:42
Great game, just love the bouncy GFX.
but it keeps freezing & crashing just like the Bugz game,
when using the MP3 player, or at about level 3-4 at random.
(3-40OEA, GAME folder, 3.40 kernel)

Looks like stack corruption (no pun intended)..

Change your kernal to 3.40 or whatever

and move the folder into the GAME340 folder and it should work

If not upgrade to higher custom firmware

dangee
June 1st, 2008, 18:18
You are the first reporting about random crashes, maybe update to a newer firmware (the game uses functionality provided by newer firmwares).

OK thx , looks like it just doesnt work on prehistoric f/w.

runs just fine on 3.71 m33-4 , MP3 'n all
(level 5: score -35)

Ziim
June 1st, 2008, 19:40
QUALITY! Im hooked, Thankyou. I have drained my Stamina battery 3 times playing this. I cant put it down. My wifes playin too. Where do we Vote? Its a WINNER.

Some Bugs I found, just reporting, there so small that they dont effect enjoyment of the game.

Bug:MP3 playing first 15 seconds than looping, over and over. This happened after hours of continous play. Have not been able to repeat bug.

Bug: The line you stack over depending on the Level is off.

Bug: Sometimes when a box gets dropped the sound gets stuck, you have to throw boxes on it to unstick it.

Bug?:After Stacking over the line, if you dont fire your projectile and knock boxes over, you just sit there. Must go back to game menu and start again.

oooooomonkeys
June 2nd, 2008, 04:05
this is the BEST homebrew game ive ever played, thanks a lot. hours of fun to be had here.

MK2k
June 2nd, 2008, 10:05
Thanks for the nice comments so far, this is the right way to keep developers developing :)
Ziim: I answered your questions at the psp-hacks comments section.

oooooomonkeys
June 2nd, 2008, 14:29
i would love more games demos etc with this physics engine, i loved watching the chipmunk demo a while back

MK2k
June 2nd, 2008, 14:34
You can bet a tenner that I'll do the one or other nicely physics-based game in the future.

MK2k
June 6th, 2008, 10:47
IMPORTANT: I have encountered a lot of cheating attempts on the stakker online highscore. I cleaned the table and locked it. Don't be too angry at me, there will be a security updated version out soon and I'm thinking about starting the highscore completely over, so go practise for that day (release around tuesday next week, stay tuned)!

dangee
June 6th, 2008, 12:25
arrghh, the lockdown just locked out my 1st hiscore. never mind , I can better it !

some suggestions

1: there is still an occasional random freeze (3.71,phat). I still think this is user stack related, a fix would be nice
2: likewise the awful regular buzzing glitch in the mp3 player.

3: 'next block' indicator, like tetris

4: game over after 3 tower topples.

anyhow, its a winner, looking forward to updates.

AdamRav
June 6th, 2008, 12:33
IMPORTANT: I have encountered a lot of cheating attempts on the stakker online highscore. I cleaned the table and locked it. Don't be too angry at me, there will be a security updated version out soon and I'm thinking about starting the highscore completely over, so go practise for that day (release around tuesday next week, stay tuned)!

Cheating ???

lol, some sad people in this world

dangee
June 6th, 2008, 17:24
re: the Lockdown.

1147 looked like some kinda tremendus achievement to me. I thought
somebody had developed a superior stakking stratagem, actually it
was just a hakking stratagem.

that level of hiscore should be achievable tho, with a modified
scoring system. eg could involve some sort of bonus for overall
tower irregularity just before reaching the level line, &/or wall
impact velocity. I'm sure MK2K,you can access the block angle,
& speed variables to implement this

flaminfox
June 6th, 2008, 17:42
its good that hes releasing a security update, since these little kids are either using some custom cheat or a cheat i know that works but freezes the game ( using the screenshot plugin) hope he fixes that :)

AdamRav
June 7th, 2008, 12:43
i scored 700 today :)

superadamwo
June 7th, 2008, 14:34
For some reason the game won't start to me. I've tried it in game, game150 and game380 and all I get is a black screen when it starts. The only thing that's in the folder is an eboot file. Is it supposed to be like that?

dangee
June 7th, 2008, 19:21
superadamwo : the PBP and nil else in the version I downloaded.

re : game over
re-think : 3 tower topples on any single level = game over

superadamwo
June 8th, 2008, 19:35
I wonder why it isn't working for me then. No matter which kernel and which folder I start it from, it always goes to a black screen after the gameboot and doesn't start.

AdamRav
June 8th, 2008, 19:52
^Have you got a MUSIC folder on your memory stick ???

wwboy
June 9th, 2008, 19:08
good game it even has an online highscore

superadamwo
June 9th, 2008, 21:17
^Have you got a MUSIC folder on your memory stick ???

Yeah, on the root.

lycenhol
June 10th, 2008, 16:14
My PSP Phat (with 3.71 M33) shuts down after I start Stakker.

All the other applications work fine....

Ideas?

I try PSP\GAME and kernel set to 1.50 and 3.71.

MK2k
June 10th, 2008, 16:24
Everyone should download the newest Stakker (Idol Edition). Check psp-news.dcemu.co.uk front page. And read the readme.txt about installation.