PDA

View Full Version : VBA 1.7.2 30052008 - GBA Emulator for Nintendo Wii & Nintendo gamecube

wraggster
May 30th, 2008, 22:50
Emu_kidid (http://www.tehskeen.com/) has released another build of his Game Boy Advance/Gameboy/Gameboy Colour emulator for the Nintendo Wii & Nintendo gamecube

Heres whats new:

whatsnew:
fixed GB/GBC slowdown on Wii
fixed GC pads

Download and give feedback via comments

gary_abernethy2
May 31st, 2008, 03:36
I have some questions please.
Can you save onto a gamecube memory card, or does it have to be an sd card?
And did you fix it so you can read longer rom names, or do they still have to be severly shortened?
I love the work youve done on this and Im happy either way, I would just appreciate it if someone could answer my questions so I dont have to find out by trial-and-error myself. :)

stevenrpat12
May 31st, 2008, 04:18
wow, that is cool, Oh, and I think you have to have to have an SD card and adapter.

rbervoets
May 31st, 2008, 09:00
I have some questions please.
Can you save onto a gamecube memory card, or does it have to be an sd card?
And did you fix it so you can read longer rom names, or do they still have to be severly shortened?
I love the work youve done on this and Im happy either way, I would just appreciate it if someone could answer my questions so I dont have to find out by trial-and-error myself. :)

Straight From the readme :)

whatsnew:
fixed GB/GBC slowdown on Wii
fixed GC pads

I decided that I would do a few little minor additions to this emulator before I dropped it totally from my list and so here's the results.

Wii Port

Wiimote / Classic Controller / Gamecube Pad support

Front-SD ROM Loading

Front-SD SRAM Saving and Loading

MEM2 ROM Storage for fast access

In-game Menu with ability to exit to loader (Home button)

Auto frame skip for those core heavy games

GC Port

SDGecko ROM Loading

SDGecko SRAM Saving and Loading

In-game Menu with ability to exit to loader (X+Y)

Auto frame skip to give you the illusion of full FPS

Please note, there's not much of a GUI if anything. The only way you can load another ROM is to exit to the loader through the in-game menu or simply reload the DOL.

Roms must be placed in /VBA/ROMS/ and cannot be compressed.
Saves will be placed in /VBA/SAVES/ and will automatically be loaded if they exist.
The GBA BIOS file is to be placed in /VBA/BIOS/BIOS.GBA.

If you want to use a Wiimote/Classic Controller, turn it on during the ROM selection menu for it to be detected.

Full source code is included. You will need to wait until the current libOGC CVS is updated to devkitpro r15 and actually working. I compiled using a modified devkitPro r14 and libogc from CVS. Use the pre-compiled GBA.o (done with level2 optimizations) if you wish to compile this software again. (GBA.d will need to be modified) This is a messy build process but it's the only way to get it working for now.

Wii/GC ports by: emu_kidid,
Original Gamecube port: softdev.
VBA by Forgotten (http://vba.ngemu.com/)
libOGC/devKitPro by shagkur/Wintermute.

gary_abernethy2
May 31st, 2008, 15:05
Ah, thanks. But I read the readme.
It mentions you can save your game save onto the SD Card. I was just wondering if there was a way to trick it to save your progress onto a gamecube memory card, because thats how I do it. I like just my roms on the SD Card. Dont get me wrong, Im THRILLED I can save at all now, and SD Card is fine. I was just asking. so I didnt have to keep loading, playing, trying to save...
And it doesnt mention anything about the old limited space for the rom name problem. The list of roms only use to show a few letters. I was wondering if that got fixed so I didnt have to rename my roms and then check and see if I could see the whole name or not.
Just wondering if anyone could answer those 2 things for me :-)
I wasnt trying to be a pain, and I did read the readme, I just didnt see my answers there.
Im sure the answer to both is No, but Im looking forward to starting up my gba games again anyway, now that I can save and switch games =)

Arion2064
June 3rd, 2008, 16:27
this is just way to awesome :) i´ve been waiting for this since the first release great job..now to find some roms :P only for games i own ofcourse :cool:

BenderRobot
June 19th, 2008, 20:28
Ummm, I have GB ROMs in VBA\ROMS on my SD Gecko yet it says there are no ROMs in VBA\ROMS, I also tried putting the ROMs on my main SD Card in the front SD slot yet it says there are still no ROMs, and I am using the newest version of VBA.

Woofumz
August 19th, 2008, 17:01
There doesn't apear to be any rom or save files in this RAR, do I create them?