PDA

View Full Version : SNES9X 3.1 LoPsT - Snes Emulator for Nintendo Wii

wraggster
June 1st, 2008, 10:29
LoPsT (http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_emu-snes9x-v-3-1-deteccion-automatica-modo-de-video-etc_1030026) has released an updated version of his port of Snes9x to the Nintendo Wii, heres whats new:

This version includes:

-- Support for 2 Wiimote (fast connection).
-- Support Command classic.
-- Support Nunchuk (run the diagonals).
-- Support SD Front (to load roms and savegames).
-- Support savegame direct gcram (now whether to leave the emulator saves).
-- Support for long file name.
-- Support for compressed files in ZIP.
-- Support exit to the menu of Homebrew Channel.
-- Support for consoles with RGB cable PAL60 (finally!).
-- Support for commanders Game Cube (not) xD
-- Automatically detects the video mode of the TV (PAL60, 480p, ...)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

WhizzBang
June 1st, 2008, 11:18
I just tried this and it loaded fine through the Homebrew Channel but when I selected 'Load Rom' the screen changes to have lots of horizontal green and purple lines with a black background.

None of the buttons on my Wiimote or classic controller would get any response, and I could not turn my Wii off by using the Reset button or the power button.

I had to pull the plug but when I plugged the power back in there were no lights and my Wii was not responding any more and would not turn on.

I pulled the power out again, and then retried about half an hour later and it is working again.

Has anyone else had this happen with any homebrew? Any idea what could cause it? I think the point at which the app crashed was probably when it was trying to auto detect my TV mode (it is a PAL one that can display in PAL 60 and PAL 50, and also does NTSC I think).

Deepthought360
June 1st, 2008, 12:37
Works perfectly for me

Running in 480p on a PAL Wii

Thanks a million

____anders____
June 1st, 2008, 14:32
thanks, great update:)

DPyro
June 1st, 2008, 14:44
I just tried this and it loaded fine through the Homebrew Channel but when I selected 'Load Rom' the screen changes to have lots of horizontal green and purple lines with a black background.

None of the buttons on my Wiimote or classic controller would get any response, and I could not turn my Wii off by using the Reset button or the power button.

I had to pull the plug but when I plugged the power back in there were no lights and my Wii was not responding any more and would not turn on.

I pulled the power out again, and then retried about half an hour later and it is working again.

Has anyone else had this happen with any homebrew? Any idea what could cause it? I think the point at which the app crashed was probably when it was trying to auto detect my TV mode (it is a PAL one that can display in PAL 60 and PAL 50, and also does NTSC I think).

I had something like that happen and had to press the home button to get back to the main menu, then press 1 or 2 (can't remember) as the button for select.

kingslime80
June 1st, 2008, 15:54
I think I'll stick with my older one, at least it works reliably.

KainShadow
June 1st, 2008, 16:02
works good
but not analog sticks on classic pad are completely disabled again :\ i want to play with them (i think they were disabled because of no diagonals)

WhizzBang
June 1st, 2008, 17:41
I had something like that happen and had to press the home button to get back to the main menu, then press 1 or 2 (can't remember) as the button for select.

I pressed the home button and nothing happened. Nothing happened when I pressed any button. I am a little concerned that this has only happened to me and it works fine for everyone else.

Edit: After reading around a bit I have found out the a general rule if anythiing goes wrong is to remove any Gamecube memory cards. I tried the emu again and removed my Gamecube memory card first and it worked great, an excellent emulator indeed. It is only a shame that the save game files do not have the same name as the ROM.

Nintendo Maniac 64
June 1st, 2008, 19:07
Is there no long-name support for saving or something? Snes9x on the Wii is the ONLY emulator I know (including emulators on other systems) that doesn't name its save files the same as the rom file (though with the extension SRM obviously). This makes thing EXTREMELY hard if you want to use those saves in another emulator, because with just an 8-digit code, you don't even know what game it's for!

jordan4peace
June 1st, 2008, 19:54
you guys rock

Vernonjr
June 2nd, 2008, 05:51
So I'm not trying to complain because I honestly really love these emulators, especially this one, as its my favorite, and I appreciate the hard work you guys do, but when will the menu's for these be updated? For instance, when will they look somewhere more along the lines of the frontends on the xbox's emulators? Its a little annoying having to load a rom, and then start it as well. Just curious, keep up the great work!

Tarsul
June 2nd, 2008, 15:21
well, would be great if you could load the rom and then directly decide whether to start the game, load a savegame or something else.

But other than that, my only wish is that you add a fastplay-function like in snes9x gc 2.01b8 (with the C-Stick you could fast forward) - then its almost perfect^^

GrandMasterJimmy
June 2nd, 2008, 15:50
^
They could easily add that function to the right analog of the classic controller. I'm sure most people use the classic pad, as it's a pain to play most snes games with anything else.

RedMoogleXIII
June 2nd, 2008, 16:46
It looks good, and starts up much faster than the version 2.2 I use, but I've had no luck in getting any version past LoPsTs 2.2 SNES9X to load a rom. I keep getting the error :
"Unable to mount WiiSD: 0"

karlgross
June 2nd, 2008, 20:20
It looks good, and starts up much faster than the version 2.2 I use, but I've had no luck in getting any version past LoPsTs 2.2 SNES9X to load a rom. I keep getting the error :
"Unable to mount WiiSD: 0"

Then take a good look at my little findings...
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148073572&postcount=44

KristenBaldousor
June 2nd, 2008, 22:49
Then take a good look at my little findings...
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2148073572&postcount=44

that weird, i got my sd card formated in fat32 and got no problems finding my roms on the snes emulator

ploggy
June 3rd, 2008, 02:51
Does this version support the Wiimote as a super scope.
For games like Yoshi Safari and what-not?

skroooagh
June 3rd, 2008, 07:31
Am I the only person who has an issue with save files? Whenever I try to save either savestates or SRAM I get an "error 8" message... this emulator is so great that it sucks that I cn't save games like Super Metroid or Yoshi's Island. Any help would be much appreciated!

kingslime80
June 3rd, 2008, 09:36
I can't use the save files properly either. Load up the Homebrew Launcher and use an older version until it's working properly. That's what I'm doing.

metaleggman
June 4th, 2008, 03:26
I can't even load up games with sram. I'll have to try the old version...

Xax
June 4th, 2008, 05:40
Works great! But I have a really big problem with the controller configuration; it's extremely confusing, limited, and doesn't seem to save changes. Is there any way to fully configure the buttons and have them save?

heathen_gray
June 10th, 2008, 11:15
This is almost perfect! Well done to the devs, I am severely impressed - I have't played SNES on a TV screen in so many years ;)

There's only a few of things I'd love to have:

- Tighten up the Wiimote/Classic controller interface. If I press B (easy to do on the classic controller), without a game loaded, it takes you to the test screen. I can't get back to the menu sometimes without fiddling with he c-stick on a GC controller. If this is the worst problem I find with it, the devs have earned themselves a drink from me!

- IPS support for games translations, especially when zipped with the rom.

- 4 controller support (4 Bombermans is better than 2 :D)

I know most of this is done with the main Snes9x versions, so hopefully, they're not that difficult to implement.

Skm
June 10th, 2008, 14:06
I can't get back to the menu sometimes without fiddling with he c-stick on a GC controller. If this is the worst problem I find with it, the devs have earned themselves a drink from me!

just press "home" and "+" on the wiimote to get back to the menu. ;)

heathen_gray
June 10th, 2008, 16:56
just press "home" and "+" on the wiimote to get back to the menu. ;)

Yeah, even so. Sometimes no button on either Classic or Wiimote works. Only the GC C-Stick seams to do it.

Other times it only works after a few seconds.

It's quite odd, but doesn't spoil it that much; just means I have to get off my ass :D

Xax
June 12th, 2008, 02:17
I ended up ordering a Thrustmaster T-Wireless controller, which I can configure to overcome the shortcomings of the emulator. Still, controller improvements with the emulator would be welcome so this wouldn't be necessary.

WizardOfOdd
June 12th, 2008, 08:08
Hi all,

I downloaded this and it's all working fine - with SOME roms. However, about half the games I have tried to load get an error when I choose them. Something about 'FAILED - unable to find 45435345345.srm save' or something like that. It's like the game is trying to find a save before it will load even though I've not played them before.

As I said about half work fine, but half get this error. I have my folders set up correctly, and the games that DO work I can save no problems.

Any ideas?

EDIT : There can't be anything wrong with the ROMs themselves, since I tried them in a Windows build of snes9x and they worked fine...

Xax
June 12th, 2008, 15:44
I downloaded this and it's all working fine - with SOME roms. However, about half the games I have tried to load get an error when I choose them. Something about 'FAILED - unable to find 45435345345.srm save' or something like that. It's like the game is trying to find a save before it will load even though I've not played them before.

I've only tried one game (Chrono Trigger), and had this problem. I think after choosing the ROM, I went into the save menu and saved the state and sram, and then the game would run fine.

bigfiyah
June 12th, 2008, 16:27
great piece of software! can anyone tell me how to get two classic/wiimote controllers working though? cant figure it out, many thanks

kingslime80
June 12th, 2008, 17:42
Hi all,

Guess what. It's trying to find the save game in the numbered format LoPsT is using. press A, Start the game and save right away and it should be fine.

Personally I'd like him to go back to the File Name format for the save files and I WILL NOT use his emulator until he does because I want to keep my saves from the old system. I'm at the end of Star Ocean and want to actually finish it. That said I think he's doing the best he can otherwise, it's just that 1 little problem.

CronoSage
June 13th, 2008, 04:23
I agree that it's troublesome for the saves to be hex numbers. From what I see, the filename is the same as the CRC32 header the emulator sees (and is viewing in bottom corner after initially loading and starting a ROM).

Both LoPsT and the original version of this branch (SNES9x GX 1.43) use regular filenames for the ROMs, but use the CRC32 for save names, I wonder how easily modifiable it is in the code?

GVector
June 14th, 2008, 13:02
When I select an option in the emulator menu I get a black screen with some color blends. For a short while a text is displayed saying something like "color demo...". Then I have to reset me Wii. I have the same problem with 3.0. I use a 512mb SDCARD and I have set my tv type to 60Hz.
What am I doing wrong?

GVector
June 14th, 2008, 13:03
When I select an option in the emulator menu I get a black screen with some color blends. For a short while a text is displayed saying something like "color demo...". Then I have to reset me Wii. I have the same problem with 3.0. I use a 512mb SDCARD and I have set my tv type to 60Hz.
What am I doing wrong?

GVector
June 14th, 2008, 13:06
What am I doing wrong?

GVector
June 14th, 2008, 13:07
What am I doing wrong?

phinn
June 16th, 2008, 00:34
sorry about the tripple post

phinn
June 16th, 2008, 00:35
ughh sorry about the tripple post i have no idea what happened

phinn
June 16th, 2008, 00:36
This works perfect for me with the Wii Homebrew Channel with the exception of one issue.

I can control everything with the Wiimote except if I chose to load the roms with it. That locks up the entire Wii and shows crazy colors on the screen.

If I chose to load the roms with the Gamecube controller there is no issue, then I can go back to the Wiimote if I want.

nihlathak_
June 16th, 2008, 16:58
I keep getting "Unable to mount Memory Card Slot A" errors. Replugged memory cards, switched memory cards.

Ever since the first versions of the Wii Emu's I haven't been able to load any of my SRAM's of previous GC emu's that worked on the Wii trough GCOS. Any word of advice? I'm 14hours into Lufia, would like to advance :D

KristenBaldousor
June 16th, 2008, 18:00
This works perfect for me with the Wii Homebrew Channel with the exception of one issue.

I can control everything with the Wiimote except if I chose to load the roms with it. That locks up the entire Wii and shows crazy colors on the screen.

If I chose to load the roms with the Gamecube controller there is no issue, then I can go back to the Wiimote if I want.

That is because you are pressing the B button on the wiimote that is the number 1 if i'm correct, that sends you to the current running rom, but because you are not running anything it will show you the tv's debug panel (well, I consider it the debug panel, where it show all the colors the tv can display and else)

You just need to press the other button instead the one that takes you there, and to return from this screen to the menu, on the wiimote press home and +, this will take you back to the menu

phinn
June 16th, 2008, 18:35
Oh your right, I was clicking that button. But it seems I wasn't clicking it on the Gamecube controller. Thats a dangerous button. Thanks

Soulshifter
June 25th, 2008, 03:16
I keep getting Error 8 when I try to save. Help!

folderol4
June 25th, 2008, 06:20
I am running into the issues posted by WhizzBang and GVector. The emulator menu loads without a problem. If I select any item from the menu my screen changes to a background with some strange lines of color near the top of the screen to the middle of the screen. The bottom has some type of error message that is hard to read because the screen clears itself very quickly. I then can not exit the blank screen until I unplug my Wii. I get the same results with SNES9X 3.1 and SNES9X 3.0 on NTSC 480i and 480p.

I see a lot of questions being posted here and no one trying to give answers. Hopefully this one will get answered.

KristenBaldousor
June 25th, 2008, 06:30
I am running into the issues posted by WhizzBang and GVector. The emulator menu loads without a problem. If I select any item from the menu my screen changes to a background with some strange lines of color near the top of the screen to the middle of the screen. The bottom has some type of error message that is hard to read because the screen clears itself very quickly. I then can not exit the blank screen until I unplug my Wii. I get the same results with SNES9X 3.1 and SNES9X 3.0 on NTSC 480i and 480p.

I see a lot of questions being posted here and no one trying to give answers. Hopefully this one will get answered.

And if you'd read a couple of post back, you'll see I already stated what the problem is!!!!!

folderol4
June 25th, 2008, 17:17
Sorry KristenBaldousor, I thought I had read the entire thread but I had not. Your suggestion works.

sheridan2000
June 25th, 2008, 20:31
all i get when i try to load it through the homebrew channel on an unmodded wii is an error message

"""THIS IS NOT A VALID WII APPLICATION"""

Ho Hum

Motoko_gio
June 25th, 2008, 23:45
I keep getting Error 8 when I try to save. Help!

sure you havnt locked your SD card?

Motoko_gio
June 25th, 2008, 23:48
Is there any chance you can have 2 wiimotes and 1 or 2 GC controllers working at once? Im looking forward to playing Bomberman with my siblings but we only have 1 GC controller and 2 wiimotes

h2923j42n2
June 26th, 2008, 02:54
all i get when i try to load it through the homebrew channel on an unmodded wii is an error message

"""THIS IS NOT A VALID WII APPLICATION"""

Ho Hum

Try downloading it and copying it over to your SD card again. I have a similar problem with FCEU, and recently found that it did it on both the Homebrew Channel and Twilight Hack. I'm just guessing, but maybe the ELF file got corrupted when it was written onto the SD card.

EDIT: I recently tried this with the same version of FCEU that I had. I deleted the old ELF file off of my SD card, copied the new one onto it, and had no problems loading it on the Homebrew Channel. I assume that it would also work on the Twilight Hack now.

kingslime80
June 26th, 2008, 04:35
I've had a similar problem with an older version. Try putting the emulater in /homebrew and the homebrew launcher in /apps, then run the loader in the Homebrew Channel and then load the SNES emulator. That what works for me. :)

sheridan2000
June 26th, 2008, 19:13
ok got the emulater to load but then when i try to load a rom it errors...stating "" opendir (/snes9x/roms failed with -64 press a to continue"".
i placed them into snes9x/rom folder.
the roms i got have a extention of smc or something like that. does the extention need to state .rom

Also does it matter if the rome are jap/us/pal. I have a pal wii and pal tv that will accept ntsc as well??

So many questions....LOL

h2923j42n2
June 26th, 2008, 19:31
ok got the emulater to load but then when i try to load a rom it errors...stating "" opendir (/snes9x/roms failed with -64 press a to continue"".
i placed them into snes9x/rom folder.
the roms i got have a extention of smc or something like that. does the extention need to state .rom

Also does it matter if the rome are jap/us/pal. I have a pal wii and pal tv that will accept ntsc as well??

So many questions....LOL

Do you have the name of that folder as 'rom'? If so, it needs to be 'roms'. The extension should not matter. I removed my extensions, and the emulators still have no problems loading them.

I believe some emulators have video modes for JAP/PAL/NTSC, but I'm not really sure on the answer to that question.

sheridan2000
June 26th, 2008, 20:20
all the roms i have have either a (u) or (J) in the name thus i believe they are jap/usa. Will these run using this emulator on a pal wii??

-64 must mean something but i dont know what. is there a web based support site that i can ask??

sheridan2000
June 26th, 2008, 21:54
ok seems that i actually answered my own question as above. while the application is in the apps folder and within that there is a folder called snes9x and within that a folder called roms. i thought that you put the roms in there...oh no you dont. you need to have the snes9x folder outside the apps folder as the programme will not look in to the apps folder for the snes9x/roms folder. Am i making any sense!!!

So techincally i have the full programme in the apps folder and the snex9x/roms folder in the root of the directory. It works now so now i gotta test all 800 roms i got......many hours of fun...

Just need a N64 emulator that makes use of the wiimote and nunchuck and ill never buy another game again.....thanks for all you help.

Melee54
July 14th, 2008, 17:19
This emulator seems to be working great, except for one thing. It never goes completely full screen. Is that normal? It seems as though the emulator thinks my TV is widescreen, so I always end up having 2 black bars on the top and bottom of my TV screen. Depending on the game, they are of varying width... It's not a huge problem, after awhile I forget about it. But still...

pulproute
July 14th, 2008, 23:22
This emulator seems to be working great, except for one thing. It never goes completely full screen. Is that normal? It seems as though the emulator thinks my TV is widescreen, so I always end up having 2 black bars on the top and bottom of my TV screen. Depending on the game, they are of varying width... It's not a huge problem, after awhile I forget about it. But still...

I use this emulator and my tv is not widescreen and i dont have the problem you are describing. Maybe you wii setting is in 16:9 ?

Skaterben55
July 15th, 2008, 00:03

Someone screwed up the scaling. There was someone on tehskeen who was looking into it but nothing has happen for the past couple of weeks. He just copied code over from one of eke-eke's emulators to snes9x. He posted a build with the issue partially resolved but there are still some things that need to be worked on.

Melee54
July 15th, 2008, 02:44
Someone screwed up the scaling. There was someone on tehskeen who was looking into it but nothing has happen for the past couple of weeks. He just copied code over from one of eke-eke's emulators to snes9x. He posted a build with the issue partially resolved but there are still some things that need to be worked on.

I see... Thanks for the info. I think I'll checkout tehskeen for his build(s) then.

And no, pulp, my wii isn't set to widescreen, I made sure of that, heh.

clappingfetus
July 16th, 2008, 00:32
it keeps telling me that it cant load some srm file and it wont load any roms. does it play roms compressed to .7z?

h2923j42n2
July 16th, 2008, 03:57
it keeps telling me that it cant load some srm file and it wont load any roms. does it play roms compressed to .7z?

I doubt it. If it plays anything like that, more than likely, it will need to be in .zip format.

pulproute
July 16th, 2008, 04:52
Ok, and what games is causing you this problem ? Because from those few that i have given a try there wasn't any problems

RockyRan
July 16th, 2008, 18:03
Pretty noobish question:

I have the homebrew channel, and I just extracted this new version and tried to replace it, but all I get is a completely black screen that doesn't respond to anything (including R+Z and other quick fixes). In the "apps" folder and under the SNES folder, I have the title image, icon file, the meta.xml, a boot.elf, a boot.dol, and title.txt. And on the snes9x folder under the root of the SD card I have the a saves and roms folder. Is there anything I'm supposed to have/not supposed to have? Am I supposed to not have the boot.dol in there? Just the boot.elf? Because I've heard something to that extent previously.

Thanks in advance for any help.

gary_abernethy2
July 18th, 2008, 00:54
where do i put the roms?

gary_abernethy2
July 18th, 2008, 18:54
i see. roms go in snes9x/roms and it has to be on the root of the card.
and the program itself needs to go in the apps folder so the homebrew channel can recognize it.
as usual this is the best program out of ALL the emulators.
i can even keep all my saves from when i was using the gamecube version :-)

gary_abernethy2
November 14th, 2009, 17:57
do any of these SNES emulators support saving to the big gamecube memory cards or 2 gig sd cards?

dr2391
February 26th, 2011, 09:57
Thanks!!