PDA

View Full Version : PSP Downgrader v1.0

wraggster
October 1st, 2005, 21:08
BBS who im right in thinking is the webmaster of the German PSP Emulation Site --> http://www.pspemus.de/ has posted this news in our Submit News Forum (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11618):

News from Sonyxteam.com!!!

WARNING TO EVERY PEOPLE WILLING TO DOWNGRADE THEIR PSPS !!

We wanted to warn the users that the fiirst beta downgrader version released by MPH is VERY Unstable ! It has about 5 to 10% chances to brick your psp when using it, because it writtes directly on the flash offset and that can be very dangerous, uf the offset changes just a little it will overwrite another file than index.dat, and that will brick your psp without doubt !

However that issue had been fixed on v1.0 , the probability to brick your psp using v1.0 is less than 1%.

We still want to remind you that we still give credits to MPH for taking part on the downgrader creation, (as he did gave credits to SXT as well), and will be added in any future downgrader version based on the one we devlopped together. So althrough 1.0 Final was entirely coded by yoshihiro and finished by yoshihiro, we give credits to MPH for it as well, as it's still based on the beta version where we worked on it together.

(Especially MPH and Yoshihiro, as yoshihiro found the lflash writting code on 2.0 working overflow exploit, and MPH and yoshi both had the index.dat idea, MPH created and compiled the first beta version from the knowledge and data he and yoshi acquired together).

Here the changes:
- More stability
- Added text infos
- No need for index.dat file anymore
- Easier for noobs

http://www.sonyxteam.com

Thats great news and if anyone uses it successfully let us know ;)

Im sure this will start another case of handbags at dawn when certain hackers with friends on certain sites see the above release, in any case lets keep it clean gents ;)

groovemaster303
October 1st, 2005, 21:21
more stability is good news as i have a friend who wants to downgrade and wants me to sort it for him can you imagine what it would be like to say to your mate "soz m8 i bricked it".
nice one Yoshi/Mph

wraggster
October 1st, 2005, 21:23
yeah its a realy scary thought

PSP_Newbie
October 1st, 2005, 21:24
if this does what it says it does, then thats great news
i still dont want to try it until i really need it and it has some positive feedback/success with ppl that decide to try it

Insane1
October 1st, 2005, 21:26
I actually found this version of the downgrader a day ago on their site. Worked perfectly for me! Quite easy to use as well.

wraggster
October 1st, 2005, 21:28
yeah i always find its better to wait first ;)

Psphreak
October 1st, 2005, 21:59
Where are those 5-10 percent chance of failure? I must have several around 500 posts, NONE of those ended up getting bricked. I'm just surprised there haven't been any confirmed bricks due to so many newbs getting mixed up, trying to run homebrew when the psp was at "1.0". Turning it off at the wrong times, even then no bricks have been found. The only brick that was confirmed was when Yoshi had been helping out mph with one of the processes, quoting from psphacks.net

"The psp has been bricked before i code the downgrader, no problems Wink

For credits :

Yoshihiro had the idea to copy all the nand but it has bricked a psp.

He give results tests to me and I continued alone...."

This is just a failed attempt by the part of Yoshi trying to get back on the good side of people. I for one wouldn't try it out simply because Yoshi isn't a trustworthy person. We all know what happened to their iso loader and the downgrader wasn't any different.

ataribob
October 1st, 2005, 22:15
yoshihiro found the lflash writting code on 2.0 working overflow exploit

That's bullcrap

He did not find that flaw he just took credit for someones elses work

Here is an important statement from Niacin of Toc2rta :

------------
Congratulations to MPH who has successfully developed a downgrader using the exploit discovered by Toc2rta.

Unfortunately there is always one person who tries to claim that it was them. Toc2rta was responsible for the 2.0 exploit/Binary Loader and that has been confirmed by every PSP news site on the planet. Also something i would like to point out is NEVER have Toc2rta asked for donations or released false videos/statements.

not here anymore
October 1st, 2005, 22:20
Agreed with psphreak, I haven't heard of ONE person bricking their psp with MPH's downgrader.
Those ****ers just say that so that this new file will circulate with their credit written somewhere instead of only MPH's credit.
They can GO TO HELL.

TSR

wraggster
October 1st, 2005, 22:37
Well i dont know who to believe in this whole Niacin/Yoshihihro thing but i will say that some of the antics ive seen im not too impressed with the Tocrta people either, they seem to use their site to bitch too so the truth is in there somwhere but godknows whos telling it.

Although to be fair i praise MPH because it was him who did the killer work, the exploit was found on a forum a week before it was posted according to a forum post at ps2dev.

Stew2000
October 1st, 2005, 22:43
I got bored of V1.50 (No Browser, Wallpaper, Good Video Playback), So I ReUpgraded back to V2.00. :rolleyes:

wraggster
October 1st, 2005, 22:45
i still think a true v2.0 exploit with access to the Kernel is needed

parabolee
October 1st, 2005, 23:13
Yoshiro is full of it. He's just trying to steal credit for the downgrader, from what i hear he did virtually NOTHING. MPH got AN IDEA from something Yopshiro was TRYING to do with his own downgrader.

MPH deserves 100% FULL credit for the downgrader (with a small nod to yoshiro at best), I don't believe that there is any more or less chance bricking the PSP with his "Final" release than the original.

This is what it seems he always does, steal other people's code, cleans it up a little and tries to take all the credit. It's not that he does nothing but he tries to take all the credit whih is disgusting. I saw that website a few days ago and though what a BS artist!

We should justv ignore him and when talking about the downgrader call it MPH's downgrader ONLY. Because that's what it is.

YourStillWithMe
October 1st, 2005, 23:21
We can downgrade to 1.0??? Are you serious!? i was just dreaming about this the other day haha does this work? I'd like some feedback from some brave people i would do this but i need my 2 psp's right now because i need one to keep homebrew forever and the other one to use as a backup if the version changers arent realeasing a new version so i can keep playing the new games as well. Should i do this? I wasnt scared AT ALL to do the 1.50 downgrade and i didnt even know how to do it i just used common sense and opened up the file in photo and closed it in like 5 secs and went over and boom i was done im scared to do this 1.00 would be SO MUCH EASIER to use and so much more room to see my files easily. . .

shangrula
October 1st, 2005, 23:45
you can't downgrade to 1.0

it's just verison 1.0 of the downgrader ;)

VFerg
October 2nd, 2005, 00:11
Why does everyone seem to think its so much easier to have a v1.0 psp? v1.5 is practically the same thing! What needs to be so different that its that hard to make programs run on 1.5 then on a 1.0? All they do is split the file down into 2 so it can run why do people think its so much harder getting stuff to run on 1.5 is beyond me, they even have little applications to make it a one click process!
Thats really cool though what he did awsome work!

YourStillWithMe
October 2nd, 2005, 00:23
I know there arent any differences aside from german added to the language i think but im just a dork and would like to see less folders on my PSP

I admit im a neat freak!

I would PREFER a 1.00 over a 1.5 but im not going nuts i was just excited for a sec. . . :rolleyes:

p4ch3c0
October 2nd, 2005, 00:30
You can't downgrade to 1.0 because that was the first firmware that the PSP had, so there isn't a 1.0 upgrade file.

Smiths
October 2nd, 2005, 00:48
I prefer the cleanliness of 1.0, but I have upgraded to 1.5 because it seems to now be the base upon which everyone programs/tests their application on.

I miss clean folders though....

urherenow
October 2nd, 2005, 04:41
"The next one who will say shot about him or any respectable devlopper will get my kick on his ass."

lol

anyway, some of you are real idiots and don't pay attention to ALL of the information that is available. This Yoshiro guy didn't and doesn't try to take one efing bit of credit for the overflow exploit! Show me where he does if you think so... IDIOTS.
He just discovered the way to USE that exploit to write to the part of the flash memory that has the version information and stuff. THAT is what makes running the 1.5 firmware upgrade possible.
And regardless of how many people worked on this thing, he is obviously the one who actually sat down and wrote and compiled the code. Seems to me like they're trying to give credit to those who deserve it. just look in the readme.

And stop all of this efing drama... I come here for PSP news not a soap opera! Nobody gives a flying **ck how you feel about the whole thing, they see downgrader 1.0 in the topic that's what they want to know about. sheesh...

RedKing14CA
October 2nd, 2005, 04:41
i downloaded the first downgrader, and then downloaded this one... i still havent got my psp back from sony, but when i do which downgrader should i use, i don't want to brick my psp AGAIN...

Slade_au
October 2nd, 2005, 10:22
I used the first downgrader twice today, and it worked perfectly both times. Was I worried ? Not really, I'd seen literally hundreds of posts on how easy it worked.

All this, coz I bricked my first 1.50 trying to upgrade it to a 2.0, just to test the browser out.

My advice, stick with what's confirmed as working until others are willing to test this "new" downgrader.

YourStillWithMe
October 2nd, 2005, 14:46
2.0 is a piece i used the original downgrader twice and it worked ok. I only went back up to test an idea I had to crack the system which was if the update worked well with that index.dat and all that other stuff maybe games could run through there or in the GAME folder. . .just a thought. Someone bricked there psp doing this? whew sucks for them! I need both of my psp's though 1-stay 1.5 forever other-if necessary upgrade with the new upcoming update(s)

I love the fact I have 2 1.5's i have backgrounds for them too so good

im done here

Shannon
October 2nd, 2005, 19:10
My head hurts..

ShinSean
October 3rd, 2005, 01:40
Didn't John MPH say in another forum that he is NOT in conjunction with sonyxteam? wtf? some nerve! anyways only one (maybe more?) confirmation of this pos working and over 100,000 confirmations of Johns? unless I see more I think . . . . yeah . . . smell that?

BULL S&%^#$!!

Cap'n 1time
October 3rd, 2005, 02:33
personaly, i think yoshi is a little bit insane, and niacin is a little insignificant irc douche. drama is the last thing we need. neither of them really did much the TIFF exploit has been around for ages.. they just happened to stumble upont it. Super duper! Yoshi with the help of MPH (the only seemingly normal dude of the bunch) made it a little bit more simple to pull off this downgrade.

so up yours yoshi and niacin... hang in there MPH! May god go with you through this dramatic bullshit these two are trying to start up.

Kaiser
October 3rd, 2005, 02:43
Well this is impressive. Too damn busy to keep up with all these new things for PSP homebrew scene.