PDA

View Full Version : Kamala Khan's Freshness Makes Her the Perfect Marvel's Avengers Protagonist

wraggster
October 22nd, 2019, 21:22
As I lined up Kamala Khan’s outstretched, oversized hand, I expected her to just give the advancing soldier a bit of a smack, maybe knock him around a bit. Instead, as I let go, her palm shot out, crushing the soldier like a bug on the back wall test chamber. If I hadn’t been quite so horrified, that might have been the perfect moment for a clever superhero quip. As it happened, I ended up more concerned about wiping off all that viscera.
Earlier this month, Crystal Dynamics confirmed Kamala Khan - perhaps better known by her superhero alias, Ms. Marvel - as the sixth playable character in Marvel’s Avengers. Rather than a roster-filler, however, Kamala will be the campaign’s main character (to begin with, at least), the central figure that attempts to unite the scattered Avengers after the events of A-Day.
The reasoning behind this makes a lot of sense. Crystal Dynamics sees Ms. Marvel as a blank slate, unlike most of the characters at its disposal. Studio head Scott Amos boasts that the studio has 80 years of comicbook history to draw from but Kamala Khan, created in 2013, is relatively new addition to the Marvel Universe and, as such, doesn't have decades of accumulated lore and audience familiarity: “we get a lot of flexibility on creating and re-creating our version of her. She’s kind of a new character for most people, and we get to bring her to life in a big screen way through our story. And that's exciting, having those core five icons that people might be familiar with, and then a sixth one who has that freshness." Compared to the decades of history attached to characters like Thor, Captain America, and Hulk, the new arrival has plenty of room for creative freedom, and her youth gives a fresh perspective on the grizzled been-there-done-that story of the 'classic' Avengers crew getting back together.

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/10/22/kamala-khans-freshness-makes-her-the-perfect-marvels-avengers-protagonist