PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo: Only geeks want storage

Shrygue
June 9th, 2008, 18:19
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=190499)

Laurent Fischer, managing director at Nintendo of Europe, has dismissed concerns that Wii is quickly running out of storage space.

Speaking to Edge, Fischer "easily slipped into talking about how 'geeks and otaku' were the only people who would want this issue addressed."

Nintendo has consistently denied rumours and reports that it's even considering manufacturing a storage device, despite the growing amount of downloadable content demanding more space.

Even developers are struggling to produce games due to the limitation. Speaking with CVG, Rock Band designer Rob Kay answered the question over the lack of downloadable content for Wii with: "The whole problem is there's nowhere to store it. If the platform could do it, we'd jump on it."

agenericperson
June 9th, 2008, 18:38
I have 32 blocks left. And I want downloadable content.

eatnooM
June 9th, 2008, 19:42
What's wrong with catering to geeks or otaku? They're customers too, and the more people you get singing the praises of the Wii, the better.

Of course, there's still the more immediate problem of actually producing enough Wii for the people who currently want one.

goshogun1
June 9th, 2008, 19:56
I ran out of blocks a long time ago, and had to erase channels to even fit Final Fantasy MLAK. I am now dreading anything I want being released (turbo cd and N64 games), because I will have to shuffle stuff out. Come on Nintendo, a small add-on HD with a few gigs shouldn't be too hard, or that expensive.

Auriono
June 9th, 2008, 20:16
Apparently, Geeks and Otakus are so important to Nintendo that they remove the region free trick shortly after it was discovered. But they don't matter when it comes to official software for them. I thought geeks were the only ones who bought the gamecube and it's games, and now Nintendo suddenly turns around and gives them the finger.

KristenBaldousor
June 9th, 2008, 20:21
I'm an Otaku, give me, give me, give me!!!!!!

pibs
June 9th, 2008, 21:34
They really dropped the ball on this one. Offending the consumers is a new low.

Now apologize with a new storage system ;)

____anders____
June 9th, 2008, 22:54
i think alot of geeks has a wii, including me:D

just make some different size usb sticks or something, like 1, 2 and 4GB, so the geeks can choose between them:p

Vernonjr
June 10th, 2008, 00:38
well they are sort of right... only geeks know they want it... but i think if the general public knew what we lacked because its missing they would might want one too. I mean we miss a lot from games like rockband because of the lack of storage and i think if the public was more aware of this they would want an hd or something too.

Shadowblind
June 10th, 2008, 00:39
Thanks Nintendo. I'm sure everybody is a geek.

JKKDARK
June 10th, 2008, 00:50
Damn, I can't believe Nintendo don't want more storage :/

Jay6
June 10th, 2008, 02:22
I'm too afraid to download any more VC Games, or Wii Ware games because I'm not used to having such little data... Don't make me hate you Nintendo! I already hate Nintendo of America enough for not bringing Mother 3 to North America.

AndrewArsonn
June 10th, 2008, 02:35
I guess I'm a geek then.
512mbs (correct me if I'm wrong)
but thats little friggin' space for a next gen console.

The Hombrew Hunter
June 10th, 2008, 03:35
Damn it, Nintendo.

If you're going to insult us, do it right.

We're nerds.

But, everywhere I've read this usually said "RUMOR" everywhere.

dahun
June 10th, 2008, 03:50
they need to have an update that lets u use ur flash drive with the wii it has 2 2.0 usb's doesnt it? or at least let us buy something from then to stick into the wii that add storage

gamesquest1
June 10th, 2008, 03:58
Well i think not only did they just insult a lot of customers they also just said a big F you to any developers developing for wiiware, they dont care because all nintendo are releasing are bloody emulators which easily fit on 512mb, I am sorry but 512mb memory is pathetic yeah on xbox 360 20 gb fine but has anybody noticed a big F*ing hole in there comment if nobody wants more than 512mb why have you got so many channels on the main screen nobdy will ever be able to fill the sodding things, and now with the nintendo channel not only does that take up 100 blocks or whatever you also are required to always have 120 blocks free aswell and saying average users dont want more space dosnt mean its true average users just dont bother to complain to nintendo....ask them to do a everybody votes channel or should we all keep submitting it to nintendo on the channel untill they pick it

heathen_gray
June 10th, 2008, 10:54
This is the same idiot who wont fight for Europe release dates to match Americas. No really, we love waiting 6 months for a game to be localised only to find out it still uses the American Spelling!

Every time Nintendo say something like this, I go to the Homebrew Channel and I look at all the things I can play off the SD card. I'd love to buy more VC and Wiiware, but you know what - I'm all out of space.

I'm a PC gamer at heart. You know what we do when we run out of space? Backup? Hell no! We buy another HardDisk! The time I spend going to the shop, finding out I don't have enough blocks, moving a few games to SD card, going back to the shop, downloading the game I want, is better spent, you know, playing it!

Look Nintendo, Here's my money! Take it! I want you to have it. Just sort it out!

Shuichi
June 10th, 2008, 14:56
So Nintendo, everyones a geek with a Ipod now?

kingslime80
June 11th, 2008, 04:57
I've already sent this letter into Nintendo of America, hopefully they'll listen.

To Whom It May Concern,
I recently read about the unprofessional comment made by Laurent Fischer in the Europe office (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=190499) and quite frankly I'm not the only one who's upset about the comment. I've been an avid and almost-exclusive Nintendo Supporter since the NES came out, and his comment left me cold. I am counted as neither Geek nor Otaku. I downloaded a few games for the VC and 1 WiiWare game, the only reason I don't purchase more is very simple: I don't have the space. I will not save the games to my computer simply because I refuse to swap games back and forth and erasing then re-downloading games when you suddenly feel like playing them is irritating when you don't have a stable internet connection. If his comment rings true and no storage space is implemented soon, you will not be making much money from those who won't swap downloaded games out regularly. Look at the comments from that site and you'll see that most people agree that you NEED to release storage space and that he personally has alienated a good number of Nintendo Supporter I can't tell you how to run your business, but if it were me I'd start offering a USB storage option. I'd even be willing to pay for the Nintendo brand.
Sincerely,
Simon Cwilich

____anders____
June 12th, 2008, 22:24
that's a good letter, i hope they will listen...
at least a little..

quzar
June 13th, 2008, 11:48
They fix exploits because they are based on unintended behavior, and as such could cause other issues. The same sort of buffer overflow exploit that allows one to boot their own code, if not done 100% correctly will simply crash the system, something Nintendo does not ever want.

As for storage, they're entirely correct. I'm sure 75% of all Wiis purchased will never get close to filling their storage. Think of who they're targetting. So many people are buying it as a single-use device replacement for a computer similar to WebTV or some such. News/Internet/WiiFit/WiiSports. It's like all those people who bought Xbox just for Halo. How many games, on average, do you think they buy?

Hell, think of how many NDSs are out there with only Big Brain Academy to play.

I can't remember numbers, but I the average number of games sold per console is quite low, with exceptionally low numbers for the Wii.

Anyways, if anyone really wanted to they could offer addin content on SD cards or USB jump drives. They could probably make a mint on leasing the software to do it too.

Shuichi
June 13th, 2008, 11:52
I filled mine up like the first 3 months and I constantly have to delete things, also I know about 20 or so people with a DS Lite and each of them have Pokemon Mario Kart and infact only one of them has Big Brain Academy so I doubt that this is just for casual gaming.

I think personally when he says geeks I think he's saying hackers like "Only hackers want more storage."