PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo to release USB devices for Wii

Shrygue
June 9th, 2008, 18:21
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=190520)

Nintendo is planning to release a number of USB devices for Wii, according to a job vacancy posted on its website.

The advertisement calls for a software/hardware tester that will work out of the company's Redmond offices in Washington State.

Among the successful applicants duties will be: "creating and executing a test plan for Wii's USB devices."

Our first thoughts were a USB hard drive, but Nintendo has repeatedly denied claims it was even considering one. Earlier today, we reported that Nintendo of Europe's managing director had dismissed the hard drive space as an issue only "geeks" were interested in.

So what could they possibly be testing? Let the speculation commence below.

theotherfreakyguy
June 9th, 2008, 19:36
Well, in Japan MSX games from the virtual console can be played with a USB keyboard, so Nintendo is probably going to try and release its own 'official Nintendo brand' keyboards, mice, etc. I'd love to see USB Mice replacing the SNES Mouse for Mario and Wario and Mario Paint!

KristenBaldousor
June 9th, 2008, 20:22
And the race is on

Nintendo vs Scene!!!!

iofthestorm
June 10th, 2008, 07:05
And, scene has already won ;). Gotta love homebrew that way. But of course, having USB mass storage support in homebrew doesn't really help those who just want to store more VC or WiiWare games.

linkenski
June 10th, 2008, 09:01
well to release a harddrive to wii, just call the box, Wii Channel Capacity ultra or something, so they make nongeeks know that its better

heathen_gray
June 10th, 2008, 10:59
I wouldn't get my hopes up... It'll be a dance mat, or a peddle bike, or an auxiliary sensor bar, or a usb lan connection... you know: Nothing useful or relevant, just expensive and to be used with 1 or 2 games in the course of the next few years.

dahun
June 10th, 2008, 13:46
wii mote charger?
an adapter so u can plug in ur old controllers for use with vc?
keyboard + mouse to play old DOS games?

WHEN will we know? *cough*6 months*cough*

agenericperson
June 11th, 2008, 16:17
my money's on a hard drive. i cant think of much else it would be. though i wouldnt mind mouse support.

Rotheit
June 24th, 2008, 18:02
umm you can already use usb keyboards lol