PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft: We still support the PSP

Shrygue
June 10th, 2008, 18:29
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ubisoft-we-still-support-the-psp)

Ubisoft has told GamesIndustry.biz that it still considers the PlayStation Portable as an important platform in the current videogames market.

"By way of further clarifying some recent statements made in the press, Ubisoft wants to reaffirm that it strongly supports the PSP, which holds a unique place in the market, addressing dedicated gamers and offering unprecedented power in a portable console," a spokesperson explained.

The statement comes after a GamesIndustry.biz interview last week with UK managing director Rob Cooper, in which he called for more direction from Sony with regard to its plans for the handheld.

However, while Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's own boss David Reeves recently admitted to GamesIndustry.biz that the platform did need more games, Ubisoft is keen to stress that it is looking to answer that call.

"We support the PSP with innovative game experiences and plan to publish around 12 PSP games this fiscal year, including titles for some of our top-selling brands."

Although sales of the PSP have fallen away in Europe, the platform continues to perform strongly in Japan, with lifetime sales of 9.5 million units and 2008 sales of almost 2 million, according to Media Create.

Buddy4point0
June 10th, 2008, 19:20
Great!
PSP, now running at 333, Can definitely pump out some nice graphics if used right. I mean seriously, look at Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7. I think that That has amazing graphics, the best on the system, and it is only running at 222. Imagine, after the full power of the PSP and 333 are figured out, we could have games looking at least twice as good as Crisis Core.

JKKDARK
June 10th, 2008, 20:34
Yeah, it's doing well lately. Mainly in Japan.

Justise
June 10th, 2008, 22:13
PSP suffers because all it gets is stupid ports! Most of them way worse than the original! So thats how it was named Im-portable.
I would be happy if they take advantage of this port-mania that surrounds psp and release the tales games in europe as they are remaked and released in japan. Instead we only took tales of eternia, with a lot of bugs added and with the worst voice acting in gaming history.

The other PSP flaw is the controls since the buttons are never enough for a proper port, and the analog stick is so hard to use it's almost useless.

John Vattic
June 11th, 2008, 04:00
A Beyond good and evil game for psp would be awesome. Also, I bet Ubisoft could make an interesting horror game for psp if they wanted to.

Putting too much into multiplayer can ruin a game, look at portable ops.

Though it is a handheld, people are really looking for "console-feelng" games. Ubisoft has done pretty well in that respect.

I like prince of persia better than god of war anyway. he he.
.:p

osgeld
June 11th, 2008, 18:32
oh thank god, i dont know what i would do without ubisoft's half assed 5 year old ps2 ports

jamotto
June 11th, 2008, 19:11
The PSP needs all the games it can get.

crazyhare
June 13th, 2008, 08:50
This is starting to sound like the Commodore Amiga saga - everyone in the business press proclaiming their support, only for nothing to ever materialise. If you ask me - given that NDS sales at my place of employment are outstripping PSP sales 5 to 1 (perhaps more), barely translated Japanese ports aside - the psp is finished commercially.

jamotto
June 13th, 2008, 23:36
This is starting to sound like the Commodore Amiga saga - everyone in the business press proclaiming their support, only for nothing to ever materialise. If you ask me - given that NDS sales at my place of employment are outstripping PSP sales 5 to 1 (perhaps more), barely translated Japanese ports aside - the psp is finished commercially.

With the DS's larger install base, the DS and its games should out sell the PSP's games by default.

Eviltaco64
June 14th, 2008, 00:58
Last week, PSP sold 20,000 more units in Japan than DS did.

It's not at all a failure, and is actually doing much better now than for most of 2007 and later 2006

andwhyisit
June 14th, 2008, 09:14
Last week, PSP sold 20,000 more units in Japan than DS did.

It's not at all a failure, and is actually doing much better now than for most of 2007 and later 2006

Thing is right now it is becoming a failure everywhere apart from Japan where it is topping the competition. Sony in Japan put more effort towards supporting the psp, while SCEE/SCEA are hardly making an effort in comparison. Maybe more advertising, better customer support and a better effort with the PC store might help a bit?

AvengedSevenfold Fan
June 18th, 2008, 04:04
At this point, the psp except for one or two games is only used for homebrew and emulation for me.

Eviltaco64
June 18th, 2008, 07:18
I agree andwhyisit. PSP could be doing so much more.