PDA

View Full Version : Rise Of The Triad PSP v 1.0

deniska
June 13th, 2008, 19:56
Rise Of The Triad PSP v1.00

This is a PSP adoptation of Rise Of The Triad, 1st person shooter, originally developed by 3drealms/Apogee.
(http://www.3drealms.com/rott/)
Special thanks to people @ http://icculus.org/rott/, who developed the SDL/linux version of the game.
Please read the attached documents for credits and other information.

If you are unfamiliar with the game please read this great article:
http://rott.classicgaming.gamespy.com/hell/
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/rott2.JPG

WHATS NEW
-------
- Slim psp support.
- fixed a memory leak bug, crashing the game after 5-10 minutes of playing.
- fixed intro screens / cut scenes
- some performance optimizations to rendering and timidity routines.
- added a PSP screen-size selector.On "Screen Size" selector menu, pressing [Right Arrow]
while at max screen size value, toggles between "Original" (320x240), "4x3" and
"Full Screen" modes.
- added Brightness control.On "Screen Size" selector menu, pressing [Left Arrow] while
at min screen size value, toggles between different brightness settings.
- new psp game icon.

INSTALLATION
--------
This game requires "homebrew-friendly" custom psp firmware to run.
- select between the shareware and full versions (shareware game files are included)
-copy ROTT_Shareware or ROTT_Darkwar to ms:/PSP/GAME or ms:/PSP/GAMEXXX
(XXX is your custom firmware version number)
-to run the full version you need to copy the game files from the original game CD (Rise of the Triad: Dark War) in to
ROTT_Darkwar folder on your PSP.

MUSIC SUPPORT
------------
In order to save space and reduce loading times, this release is bundled with minimized midi
instrument library.
Better instrument samples can be downloaded from http://www.libsdl.org/projects/mixer/timidity/timidity.tar.gz
timidity.cfg & instruments directory from the archive must be copied to the ROTT_xxxxx game folder

CONTROLS
----------------
Due to ovious PSP limitations, some game functions are not mapped in the default key configuration.
If you don't like the control layout/functions - you can re-assign them in the controls menu.
-Use [TRIANGLE] to get out of text entry mode

GAME PLAY
-----------
Refer to original documentation for details on game play.
Network/multiplayer modes are not supported in this release, but you should be able to use some multiplayer levels in
"exploration" mode

Download and leave feedback via comments

bigleak2
June 13th, 2008, 22:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yZon2vuQLo
a awesome gameplay video

deniska
June 13th, 2008, 23:06
Nice capture but the framerade in the video seems to be much slower than in the game..

kando
June 14th, 2008, 00:02
awsome port! i played this back in the day, mad props :D

doobz
June 14th, 2008, 12:25
Thanks for the update deniska ! :D

kavayo
June 14th, 2008, 12:47
Thanks! I love old school 1st person shooters! Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D and of course the bloody Rise Of The Triad... Mmmm... I can still feel the scent of napalm...

I've just tried it but i get no music at all... Any Idea? I've used the instruments and cfg from the timidity link you've posted on a fat psp with 3.52.

Despite the music problem, it works flawlessly, nice framerate, wonderful customizable controls, i prefer the analog for moving, instead of using the d-pad. Thanks again, Deniska! After Tyrian, ;-) this is your best port.

I answer myself, it was my fault. all of the instruments in timidity.cfg were pointing to instruments folder instead of inst were i copied them, so renaming the folder to instruments fixed the problem. A good read of the readme file should prevented me of having this mistake. Ahhhh... I should paid more atention at my english lessons...

JLF65
June 14th, 2008, 16:56
You forgot to include ICON0 and PIC1 in the source. Yes, I know those don't HAVE to be included, but not doing so means they either have to make their own or extract them from the eboot.

Otherwise, nice release! This was a favorite of mine. I'd turn the gore up to maximum. :)

JLF65
June 14th, 2008, 17:01
You forgot to include ICON0 and PIC1 in the source. Yes, I know those don't HAVE to be included, but not doing so means they either have to make their own or extract them from the eboot.

Otherwise, nice release! This was a favorite of mine. I'd turn the gore up to maximum. :)

midnitdragoon
June 15th, 2008, 00:25
im trying to get this to work and am not succsful. i have a psp slim 3.95 and put the rise of the triad iso in the eboot directory. its not working

McWild
June 15th, 2008, 01:50
I can't get sound, what settings do I use when it goes into the setup menu at the beginning?

deniska
June 15th, 2008, 08:38
I can't get sound, what settings do I use when it goes into the setup menu at the beginning?

try removing all configuration files (.rot) from the memory stick and run it again

warsaw
June 15th, 2008, 23:37
I understand this game had it's source code released some time back, does that mean we can legally get a full download version somewhere?

Anyone got a link?

If not, does this work with the shareware version?

Cheers

JLF65
June 16th, 2008, 03:50
Edited to get rid of all the friggin duplicates, plus the REAL update is below. Sorry about the mess up. :)

ALIEN771
June 16th, 2008, 08:04
Thank you so much for the update!! :thumbup:

JLF65
June 16th, 2008, 22:03
I updated this to the latest SDK/toolchain. I also used my SDL with TV support, so you can play this on the TV on the Slim. Read the readme for changes and info on TV support.

If you got the previous update I made, this is a bit better, having icons, updated readme, and changes to the controls.

You can get it from MediaFire here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ybjvduym2o3

JLF65
June 16th, 2008, 22:06
I understand this game had it's source code released some time back, does that mean we can legally get a full download version somewhere?

Anyone got a link?

The source code was released, not the game data. You still have to buy the full version. Granted, you can probably find it places for less than $5 given how old it is. :D

If not, does this work with the shareware version?

It COMES with the shareware version. Just copy the shareware folder to the memstick instead of the Dark War folder.

McWild
June 17th, 2008, 12:49
try removing all configuration files (.rot) from the memory stick and run it again

Oh snap, works perfectly!!! Thanks mate!

JLF65
June 19th, 2008, 07:33
Oh, for anyone using my v1.01, there is an instrument in the mini set I include that is REALLY slow to process in timidity, so when that instrument plays, it causes the game to grind to a halt. Either go back to the tiny set included with 1.00 or get the BIG set from the timidity web page. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out which of the instruments is the problem since I really like the mini set.

EDIT: Jumping Jiminy! Found that pesky little rascal. Replace the instrument in the mini directory with this one. Note that they're the same size, but this one sounds a little different and doesn't slow down the system. Amazing how much trouble such a small file can cause. :)

wraggster
June 20th, 2008, 21:45
thanks for the release :)

ill make you a dcemu coder now :)

240-185
June 20th, 2008, 22:09
Nice job, I am unable to get into the main menu.
I'm using a Phat.

update: doesn't work either on my psp slim, and i'm playing the full version...

deniska
June 21st, 2008, 06:05
I'm using a Phat.

- Check if you have anything in stdout.txt stderr.txt files - this might give us some clues..
- try deleting old config files *.ROT
- check to make sure you got the correct EBOOT

240-185
June 21st, 2008, 10:16
When I had the bug, no STDERR.txt file was generated.

After deleting *.rot files, that works fine now, thanks!

(but why use F11 for right direction on the analog stick? Now it sets gamma and turning right :/)

AshTR
June 21st, 2008, 23:16
I'm using a Phat.

I'm experiencing the same thing on my regular PSP with v1.01 instead of Deniska's 1.00.

I can't get to the main menu with it. I guess I'll just go back to Deniska's version.

I also deleted all the .rot files. Let me make 100% sure that they're all gone. Could have sworn I deleted em all though.

JLF65
June 22nd, 2008, 00:01
@240-185 - If you're using the full version, be sure to use the EBOOT from the DarkWars directory. Also, you could try describing the problem better than "it doesn't work". :)

Are you using any plugins? If so, have you tried it without them? The only plugin I'm using at the moment is FuSa and it doesn't cause a problem here.

On a Phat PSP - try deleting the timidity.cfg file. Maybe the larger instruments are using too much memory for the Phat.

@wraggster - Thanks! I've posted other releases of stuff I've done here before, so it's good to finally get recognized. :D

EDIT: I tried it with the music with large memory turned off and it works fine, so there's no reason it should fail on a Phat... except maybe one - DON'T copy over the dvemgr.prx on a Phat. It doesn't have TV support, so there's no telling what would happen if you tried to use the TV support functions... probably crash the PSP. As long as dvemgr.prx cannot be found, nothing associated with the TV is used.

barev
June 23rd, 2008, 21:47
Hi guyz!

Once again big thanks to deniska for this update. I, being one of the biggest fans of this game, just cannot really express my delight :)
Well this really is a great port and ROTT is a great game to play on a handheld (it's a pity no one is interested in porting it to PPC for example :( )
I have some constructive propositions to deniska or whoever would like to maintain this source code (JLF65 or doobz). The first one is the keyboard mappings of the PSP buttons:

The square button on the PSP is mapped to '\', which really has no function in-game. It would be much better if this is mapped to TAB, since currently the in-game map cannot be invoked due to the lack of a key binded to TAB. I think this is fairly easy and would really benefit the gaming experience.
Additionally as can be seen here:

http://rott.classicgaming.gamespy.com/fun/

ROTT is definitely the game with the most cheats of all and the most funny cheats that really add up to the gaming experience. Currently there is no way of entering them on the PSP. I would love to see such function in the future. Extreme Gibs Mode and Missile Cam would be great things to have on the PSP port :)

Btw. if someone is interested there is a port of ROTT for the DS which even has missile cam support:

http://vespenegas.com/rott.html

PS.
anyone interested in getting the files from the original game CD just PM me ;)

Verderf
June 25th, 2008, 13:53
Im using the full version on CFW 3.74 M33, problem Im having is that save games I make disappear once I shutdown the game :(

deniska
June 26th, 2008, 05:18
Hi guyz!

Once again big thanks to deniska for this update. I, being one of the biggest fans of this game, just cannot really express my delight :)
Well this really is a great port and ROTT is a great game to play on a handheld (it's a pity no one is interested in porting it to PPC for example :( )
I have some constructive propositions to deniska or whoever would like to maintain this source code (JLF65 or doobz). The first one is the keyboard mappings of the PSP buttons:

The square button on the PSP is mapped to '\', which really has no function in-game. It would be much better if this is mapped to TAB, since currently the in-game map cannot be invoked due to the lack of a key binded to TAB. I think this is fairly easy and would really benefit the gaming experience.
Additionally as can be seen here:

http://rott.classicgaming.gamespy.com/fun/

ROTT is definitely the game with the most cheats of all and the most funny cheats that really add up to the gaming experience. Currently there is no way of entering them on the PSP. I would love to see such function in the future. Extreme Gibs Mode and Missile Cam would be great things to have on the PSP port :)

Btw. if someone is interested there is a port of ROTT for the DS which even has missile cam support:

http://vespenegas.com/rott.html

PS.
anyone interested in getting the files from the original game CD just PM me ;)

I'll see if I can throw in on-screen keyboard similar to one I did for Tyrian.. It might take time though...

barev
June 26th, 2008, 10:39
10x for the reply deniska. No worries about time, after all you do this for free and in your spare time. But if this is ready some time in the future it'll be great.

Verderf
June 27th, 2008, 08:05
Im using the full version on CFW 3.74 M33, problem Im having is that save games I make disappear once I shutdown the game :(

any idea on my problem?

deniska
June 27th, 2008, 17:02
any idea on my problem?

- check for stdout.txt stderr.txt for clues.
-check the memory stick for corrupted files
- see if you have rottgame*.rot files and try removing them
(I assume you do save the game with tiangle ;-) )

DiaboloS
July 1st, 2008, 19:13
Specifically what files do I have to copy from my licensed cd to ROTT_Darkwar?
The folders ROTTPLAY and ROTTINST both have executables that launch the game, are they both needed? What about ROTTCD?

deniska
July 2nd, 2008, 19:45
just install the game on your pc and then copy all the files from the installation folder..
(You may remove *.exe & .rot files)

andwan0
February 22nd, 2011, 17:07
Does anyone else get saving & reloading games crashing?

Mateogodlike
February 22nd, 2011, 19:27
Not for me. Tested psp slim 2001 CFW 6.37ME-2

andwan0
March 7th, 2011, 10:47
Wow, am still on PSP 4.01 M33-2

Where did you get 6.37 or is that slim only? I've got FAT.

andwan0
March 7th, 2011, 13:04
Not for me. Tested psp slim 2001 CFW 6.37ME-2

Can you record a youtube video demonstrating the save & reloading in ROTT PSP please.

mikedefoy
January 13th, 2014, 22:36
Running a PSP-1001 with 1.5 (DevHook 0.52) etc, and even though I own ROTT I only copied over the ROTT_Shareware folder into the PSP/GAME folder and when attempting to access the game, the PSP came back with a 'The game could not be started. (80020001)' error message. These are the only files in the folder:

E:\PSP\GAME\ROTT_Shareware\ ------- 1 12 9,463,019 9,463,019
demo1_3.dmo
demo2_3.dmo
demo3_3.dmo
demo4_3.dmo
EBOOT.PBP
huntbgin.rtc
huntbgin.rtl
huntbgin.wad
MODEM.PCK
ORDER.FRM
remote1.rts
VENDOR.DOC
E:\PSP\GAME\ROTT_Shareware\mini\ ------- 0 128 4,391,424 4,391,424

Any ideas why this thing refuses to run? The same thing happens with the Darkwar folder and all the files from the original ROTT install CD copied into it. Likewise DOOM, HERETIC and HEXEN yield the same error message.