PDA

View Full Version : Wii Menu Update 3.3 kills Twilight Hack

Darksaviour69
June 17th, 2008, 09:55
Well folks, looks like the party has come to an end. All of you enjoying your free Tetris are up the proverbial creek sans paddle. Your Wii should be glowing blue as you read this right now.

The latest update, which rolls the Wii Menu to 3.3, not only kills the Twilight Hack, but also allows you to move a Mii from the Mii Plaza into the Mii Parade directly, thanks to the addition of a handy new icon. You just drag and drop as you normally would.

But, let's get back to the real news here. Nintendo has finally gone ahead and sunk the U.S.S. Homebrew. We're anxious to see how the community is going to take this one.

Update: According to commenters, the update doesn't kill the Homebrew Channel (if it was already installed), so there's still something for you all to have fun with.

Via wiifanboy (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/tag/twilight-hack)

AndrewArsonn
June 17th, 2008, 10:00
There's an option not to update right?
If so, Things will have to get tempting for me to ever stop homebrew. ;)

*edit* My Homebrew Channel seems to be working fine too.(but I guess that would be obvious) :D

WizardOfOdd
June 17th, 2008, 11:01
Bad news for everyone who didn't get round to installing the Homebrew Channel. Bet they are kicking themselves now. Fortunately I just got my sorted about a week ago!

Reports from my own forum are suggesting the update had broken some WADs installed via the Twilight Hack too, like sneaky installs of VC and WiiWare games.

Bad times!

jmf145
June 17th, 2008, 11:28
Crap, I need to install the homebrew channel on my friend's wii before he updates it.

trugamer
June 17th, 2008, 11:39
Actually its only bad news to those who updated without checking (it was obvious anyway, Ninty told us what it did). And anybody associated with homebrew knows to do that. Now I can install the homebrew channnel and then update (so i can have homebrew, until the next update at leasf :S)

Shrygue
June 17th, 2008, 12:10
Shucks, got to remember not to update my Wii console - and think about getting a copy of Zelda: Twilight Princess real soon. I've yet to try out homebrew on this machine and I don't want to wind up losing the chance to do it.

heathen_gray
June 17th, 2008, 12:27
Wow Nintendo, that was a smart move. Now, the small minority of people who wanted Homebrew will have to either wait for a fix, or get their consoles modded.

You just put more money into the hand of the modchip manufacturers! I hope that doesn't in turn lure some people to play "backups" of a current generation console game ;)

mat128
June 17th, 2008, 12:31
It's psp homebrew all over again!!! Time for a downgrader >:D

Unicron2k
June 17th, 2008, 13:19
No it's not!!! The Wii stores all firmwares in its internal memory, so there's no need to downgrade :D

There are three options:

1. For those who can run homebrew, patch ios30/wii-menu so the Chainloader/trucha signer works(custom firmware)

2. Find a new exploit.

3. Sitt on you ass and do nothing.

dudeofcube
June 17th, 2008, 13:32
I do not get how the tp hack was fixed. I thought when you load a game, the game becomes in control?

Any way, has anyone tried to delete thier tp hack/tp save, do the update, and then try to copy the hack back to the system? maybe this is just a one time scan of the system to check for things that are already there.

Also, what about save files made by wii64 and other emulators on wii? Will it detect/ delete those too?

Makes me wonder how long before they try to delete the HB channel...... Damn you nintendo:mad:

heathen_gray
June 17th, 2008, 13:50
I do not get how the tp hack was fixed. I thought when you load a game, the game becomes in control?

Any way, has anyone tried to delete thier tp hack/tp save, do the update, and then try to copy the hack back to the system? maybe this is just a one time scan of the system to check for things that are already there.

Also, what about save files made by wii64 and other emulators on wii? Will it detect/ delete those too?

Makes me wonder how long before they try to delete the HB channel...... Damn you nintendo:mad:

It's not the game Nintendo have fixed, it's the save file you use with Zelda. It contains a really long name for the horse, and when you talk to the guy ingame, it causes the Wii to crash (or something like that). This lets the hack run. It doesn't have to be the Homebrew channel, any HB with a boot.elf will work like this I think.

Nintendo have basically just put in a scan for save files with strings (names of anything) that are exceptionally long. Any saves that match will be erased.

I think N would have thought about people putting the save on after the update. The save is only needed to install the HB Channel, once it's on there, you can remove the save (and put back your old Zelda save). So I guess it'll be scanning the saves at startup, or something :S

Unicron2k
June 17th, 2008, 13:54
It was fixed with some system menu code that checked the TP save, if any, and looked for 6 strings. If any of the 6 strings were longer than game input allows, delete it!.

Copying it back to the system won't work, since it checks the TP save then to.

As far as i know, all the emulators out there saves to the SD card used to load the roms from, so nothing is saved to internal memory.

WizardOfOdd
June 17th, 2008, 14:09
I don't even know if Nintendo would have done this on purpose. Do you think they did? Ha, perhaps I'm being incredibly generous to them, but maybe it was just a side effect of the update they intended to do?

If they DID do it on purpose that's a big downer, since other than minimal VC and WiiWare costs they weren't losing money, it's not like you can run ISOs from the hack yet.

Dunno, maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Doesn't really matter since it will be hacked by the end of the week. Look at the PSP, everyone crying every time they update by accident. It's always fixed though.

____anders____
June 17th, 2008, 14:15
of course they did this on purpose, but what will happen with the HBC updates, will it be able to update itself?

EDIT: i found this on hackmii.com, maybe this gives us a little hope:

Congrats to tmbinc and tehpola for finding a combination of two bugs in the code that Nintendo added that — when combined — allow us to fool their check into ignoring the TP hack. More info will be forthcoming — I still wouldn’t rush to update my system, anyway.

mrsidnet
June 17th, 2008, 15:06
installed HBC Channel Sunday evening, then Monday night Nintendo fixes the exploit. Good timing haha.

____anders____
June 17th, 2008, 15:15
damn that was luck:p
i got it the second i saw it was out:D

goshogun1
June 17th, 2008, 16:55
When I read about this yesterday my heart started beating really fast, and panic ensued. The amount of time I spend using emulators far outweighs my actual wii game use, so I am glad I always have wii-connect 24 off all the time. So far I am not being asked to update. Is wii-connect 24 the only way to do this update? If so, it might interfere with Blastworks for sharing stuff online. Quite a dilemma.

Graxer0419
June 17th, 2008, 17:38
I have no reason not to update mine. My Wii was never able to use the Twilight hack properly. It was unable to boot off of the SD card once the hack was running. I tried everything and asked for help in all sorts of places and just came to the conclusion that its a problem with my Wii.

h2923j42n2
June 17th, 2008, 17:54
I have no reason not to update mine. My Wii was never able to use the Twilight hack properly. It was unable to boot off of the SD card once the hack was running. I tried everything and asked for help in all sorts of places and just came to the conclusion that its a problem with my Wii.

What kind of SD card were you using? Some cards have a problem with working on the Twilight Hack. Have you tried a Sandisk card?

urherenow
June 17th, 2008, 18:22
First thing I would ask is... is the SD card formatted in FAT16 (or FAT)? FAT32 will not work with the hack.

agenericperson
June 17th, 2008, 18:33
Nintendo should know better than to mess with the homebrew scene. Now the homebrew scene is going to hit back harder.

I just hope they don't go after the HBC anytime soon.

icecoolwas
June 17th, 2008, 19:09
Ok now what we should be expecting...

An update for the HBC (Those people who updated with the HBC Channel) Update, when they run the HBC they will be given the option to "Dummy" the file that scans save files, thus it being disabled.

what you think of that idea? Kinda like the PSP Japanese fonts, you had to dummy them to free up like 3mb of flash NAND Space for custom themes.

Capt_Trips
June 17th, 2008, 19:35
Just stop buying Nintendo products. Really, hit their pocketbooks so hard their wives and children cannot afford to eat.

Joel92
June 17th, 2008, 20:02
Well you know... its really to bad that nintendo made this decision, but I guess that we cant complain, because they made the wii for us to play aroudn with in the first place...

mo3ejac
June 17th, 2008, 21:17
This is as gay as California's legalization of homosexual "marriage"

vicious1988
June 17th, 2008, 21:20
http://www.offbeatenough.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/ghettotoothfairy-17d.jpg
Oh no you di'int!!!

DimensionT
June 17th, 2008, 21:30
AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, that comment was completely uncalled for, Mo3ejac (not yours Vicious, that was definitely CALLED for).

Nintendo can in no way do a vague check on the save files. It has to be strict on what data it looks for, to avoid giving legit saves the red flag. This means it SHOULD be theoretically possible to alter the save in a way that makes it work again. Either by little changes to what's done, or finding a new way to cause a memory leak...

But, like Bushing said, there's already been discovery of a bug that can be exploited to disable the save check. Which I believe they should by all means keep under wraps, until they find a more full proof way of keeping the hack working.

Heero808
June 17th, 2008, 22:26
Thank god i turned off my wiicconnect24 yesterday afternoon.

I was wondering is the HBC safe to put on your Wii because I heard if you try to remove it there will be traces of it left right?

will nintendo do anything about these traces?

h2923j42n2
June 17th, 2008, 22:44
Thank god i turned off my wiicconnect24 yesterday afternoon.

I was wondering is the HBC safe to put on your Wii because I heard if you try to remove it there will be traces of it left right?

will nintendo do anything about these traces?

If you already have it installed on 3.2 or lower, you could update to 3.3, if you haven't already, and it will still work. However, on newer updates, Nintendo may patch it, along with the pirated Virtual Console/WiiWare games, so they delete off automatically if installed.

If you have 3.3, as of right now, because of the Twilight Hack and "trucha" bug being (temporarily) fixed, you will not be able to install the Homebrew Channel, as the exploit that it uses has also been fixed on this version. However, they will not intentionally brick any Wii.

Heero808
June 17th, 2008, 23:13
ah ok i got 3.1 updated from SSBB. no pirated VC games but i checked and i can still can use TP Hack. HBC is it really good?

h2923j42n2
June 17th, 2008, 23:34
ah ok i got 3.1 updated from SSBB. no pirated VC games but i checked and i can still can use TP Hack. HBC is it really good?

I would say it is better then the Twilight Hack. However, since you are installing something onto the Wii console, there is a chance something could go wrong with the installation, and cause a brick. However, I don't believe any incidents have been reported. Since the update is not required at this point, if you feel more comfortable using the Twilight Hack, just don't update. Apparently, a work-around has already been found, and by the time the update is included on a game, it will more than likely been released.

WizardOfOdd
June 17th, 2008, 23:43
The only time I will be updating is if a retail game I really want to play forces me to do it.

____anders____
June 18th, 2008, 00:53
The only time I will be updating is if a retail game I really want to play forces me to do it.

if you don't update now, you can use the freeloader to play all future games without ever updating your wii:).

hjfbv1
June 18th, 2008, 01:03
ya.. did noone read the nintendo message before they updated? at anyrate i wasnt going to update for the "mii parade" anyway

on a diffrent note, just a thought but couldnt you just do the twiilight hack but on a diffrent less popular game? the way i see it, nintendo is targeting the TP hack specificly. now im not saying keep it perminant. less we have to switch games everytime nintendo updates but to give ppl a chance to DL the HBC before the next update. incase its harder to break than it looks :P

____anders____
June 18th, 2008, 01:10
yeah, switch the game, but nintendo have done it once, then it's alot easier for them to do it again (i really hope not)..

one thing came in mind, what happens if you change eponas (the horse in TP) name to anything else, but still too long so the wii will crash, maybe the string they search for in the gamesave will change if you change the name?

EDIT: i can still access the Shop Channel, so i guss the update isn't released yet in Europe?
anyone with a europe wii that's been asked to update?

kurtless
June 18th, 2008, 01:21
I won't update, as I am only using the Twilight Hack right now ( I can't get that HB channel to work, its tricky).

No Earthbound and Chrono Trigger!! I Love you!!!

DimensionT
June 18th, 2008, 01:24
I'm willing to bet money that Nintendo actually put a little work into patching it... They're not gonna make it as easy as changing the name.

The hack is most likely based on the number of characters in the name. Nintendo can just block any saves that contain a number of characters over the normal limit. If they're going to fix the hack in this manner, it'll probably come down to addressing the problem a different way. Such as modifying the inventory (giving Link 6,023 swords).

Making it work on a different game would be more trouble then it's worth. The game would have to handle stack overflow the same EXACT way that Zelda does for it to be a straight "port" job. It'd be much more like working on the Zelda hack from scratch for the second time.

h2923j42n2
June 18th, 2008, 01:27
yeah, switch the game, but nintendo have done it once, then it's alot easier for them to do it again (i really hope not)..

one thing came in mind, what happens if you change eponas (the horse in TP) name to anything else, but still too long so the wii will crash, maybe the string they search for in the gamesave will change if you change the name?

EDIT: i can still access the Shop Channel, so i guss the update isn't released yet in Europe?
anyone with a europe wii that's been asked to update?

According to Wiibrew, it is released in US and PAL regions...

* 16 June 08: The latest Wii System Menu update appears to remove copies of the Twilight Hack and fix the trucha signing bug. It is now available in US and PAL regions. Updating is not recommended.

ShadowAssasin
June 18th, 2008, 01:41
When I read about this yesterday my heart started beating really fast, and panic ensued. The amount of time I spend using emulators far outweighs my actual wii game use, so I am glad I always have wii-connect 24 off all the time. So far I am not being asked to update. Is wii-connect 24 the only way to do this update? If so, it might interfere with Blastworks for sharing stuff online. Quite a dilemma.

Wii Disk Update :mad: i think the new upcoming games (like Rock Band) may have that and rushes u to update ur wii before paying it :(

____anders____
June 18th, 2008, 01:52
According to Wiibrew, it is released in US and PAL regions...

ok, i guess i will have to turn on my wii again to get the message, but i won't update for anything in the world.

...just want to see the message:p

firedragon_jing
June 18th, 2008, 01:55
I'm not worried yet, as I've had the homebrew channel installed for quite a while now, but I am sad that they blocked the trucha as I didn't get a chance to play with it yet, though I haven't updated my Wii from 3.2 to 3.3 yet. I just hope they don't try and block unregistered channels next, but if they do, I hope the homebrew channel gets an update so it can bypass it.

*actually, just read you need a modded Wii for Trucha, so doesn't matter to me anyways.

h2923j42n2
June 18th, 2008, 02:03
I'm not worried yet, as I've had the homebrew channel installed for quite a while now, but I am sad that they blocked the trucha as I didn't get a chance to play with it yet, though I haven't updated my Wii from 3.2 to 3.3 yet. I just hope they don't try and block unregistered channels next, but if they do, I hope the homebrew channel gets an update so it can bypass it.

*actually, just read you need a modded Wii for Trucha, so doesn't matter to me anyways.

The "trucha" exploit is also used to install the Homebrew Channel, and other channels, on a modded or unmodded Wii.

firedragon_jing
June 18th, 2008, 02:14
The "trucha" exploit is also used to install the Homebrew Channel, and other channels, on a modded or unmodded Wii.
trucha is only to allow modded Wii ISOs to be loaded on the Wii with an electronic signature. I read it doesn't work on a non-modded Wii, though somehow Datel has figured out how to do so which is why Freeloader works.

Twilight Hack is the main thing for installing channels, though only a few have been released so far and the homebrew channel has made the others obsolete. I was hoping more could be brought from the Twilight hack, but I guess whatever could be done with the TH could also be done with the HC

____anders____
June 18th, 2008, 02:20
i still don't get the message about a new update available, but i don't complain:p as i won't update anyway, just wanna see the message:D

and i don't use the shop channel anymore anyway so i won't miss it when i refuse to update..;)

mepsipax
June 18th, 2008, 02:51
don't worry guys, team twiizer already found a bug in the current update and are releasing an updated twilight hack soon, *breathes a sigh of relief*

h2923j42n2
June 18th, 2008, 03:19
trucha is only to allow modded Wii ISOs to be loaded on the Wii with an electronic signature. I read it doesn't work on a non-modded Wii, though somehow Datel has figured out how to do so which is why Freeloader works.

Twilight Hack is the main thing for installing channels, though only a few have been released so far and the homebrew channel has made the others obsolete. I was hoping more could be brought from the Twilight hack, but I guess whatever could be done with the TH could also be done with the HC

True, but the installer also needs to use it in order to install channels...

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/June16_update#What_is_affected_by_the_patched_Sign ing_bug.3F

What is affected by the patched Signing bug?

The Datel Freeloader, modified disc images, certain custom channels, hacked virtual console content, and a plethora of other things that we don't usually care about at Wiibrew. This does however mean that the ISO installer images for the Homebrew Channel no longer work.

If I remember correctly, the only reason that the Datel Wii Freeloader worked on an unmodded Wii is simply because Datel has the ability to produce pressed discs. Without a modchip, the Wii will not read burnt discs.

____anders____
June 18th, 2008, 17:44
If I remember correctly, the only reason that the Datel Wii Freeloader worked on an unmodded Wii is simply because Datel has the ability to produce pressed discs. Without a modchip, the Wii will not read burnt discs.

yea, that's what i heard too..

fretmelter
June 18th, 2008, 17:54
ok people remember this does not effect the homebrew channel... so if u want to run homebrew you need to install the homebrew channel BEFORE you update

wertyer
June 18th, 2008, 18:11
I'm not going to update. Their really isn't a good reason to update and if your wii system gets too full and gets corrupted and you have to format it, then your pretty much screwed.

Graxer0419
June 18th, 2008, 20:53
What kind of SD card were you using? Some cards have a problem with working on the Twilight Hack. Have you tried a Sandisk card?

I've used 2 different types of SD card. I dont have a SanDisk though.

First thing I would ask is... is the SD card formatted in FAT16 (or FAT)? FAT32 will not work with the hack.

Yes, the SD card is formatted in FAT16 mode, but I have also tried FAT32 with the Fat32 version of the Twilight hack.

h2923j42n2
June 18th, 2008, 21:47
Im using a "Datashark" card and have tried a "Nokia" one. I dont have a SanDisk though.

If you can, try to at least borrow a Sandisk card. Other users have reported problems with certain SD cards, but were able to use the Twilight Hack when they switched to a Sandisk one. I'm assuming that those are the only two cards that you have, and that you haven't yet updated to the 3.3 firmware. If you have other SD cards, try those first.

Graxer0419
June 18th, 2008, 22:55
If you can, try to at least borrow a Sandisk card. Other users have reported problems with certain SD cards, but were able to use the Twilight Hack when they switched to a Sandisk one. I'm assuming that those are the only two cards that you have, and that you haven't yet updated to the 3.3 firmware. If you have other SD cards, try those first.

Yes, they are the only SD cards I have. But as you say I will try to borrow a Sandisk one from someone. And no, I've not updated yet. I dont plan to now unless Smash Bros. Brawl is released in the UK requiring the update. Thanks for the help.

____anders____
June 18th, 2008, 23:27
Yes, they are the only SD cards I have. But as you say I will try to borrow a Sandisk one from someone. And no, I've not updated yet. I dont plan to now unless Smash Bros. Brawl is released in the UK requiring the update. Thanks for the help.

hope you fix it;)

maeurd
June 21st, 2008, 13:19
I saw through this at first anyway, and still haven't updated. Twilight still works on mine, and runs just like it is supposed to. I'm glad this was an optional update :)

evilzippy
December 24th, 2008, 13:34
lol I got a new wii today erased the data from me microsd card formatted as standard FAT inserted into sd convertor....btw using standard sandisk microsd to......I then used the latest Twilight PAL hack file copyed that onto the SD card as instructed , then ran the twilight game spoke to the guy you see the info like a dos screen explaining its programming the hack and tada lol i have homebrew station so un sure whats happened to all of you i updated to the very latest update as of today .....