PDA

View Full Version : New PSP firmware adds Google search

Shrygue
June 17th, 2008, 18:40
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191090)

PSP firmware version 4.00 is on its way "soon", Sony has officially confirmed, adding a new Google search option into your handheld's XMB (Xross Media Bar).

Once installed, the new firmware will boast an Internet Search option within the Network icon that will apparently bring up the same internet search results as a full-fat Google search on PC.

"Click on the XMB's Network icon and then the new Internet Search icon. Enter your keywords and then let Google's algorithms do the work. You'll need to be connected to the Internet via a wireless access point or Wi-Fi hotspot," explains Sony.

And video playback has also been tweaked, now allowing you to speed up and slow down playback of videos streaming from your memory card with the up and down D-pad buttons. Nice and simple - can't think why that wasn't added sooner.

Sony hasn't put an exact time on the firmware release, so just keep checking the System Update option on your PSP, or keep an eye on the official update page.

Triv1um
June 17th, 2008, 18:42
Wow, they are really pulling out all the stops for the big 4.00.

*rolls eyes*

Anonymous D
June 17th, 2008, 19:04
they make it seem as if a google search is some amazing new thing we couldnt do before. i alweays thought theyd pull out something useful for 4.0, divx support or something.

alanparker05
June 17th, 2008, 19:09
All those rumours about what 4.00 will contain and we end up with this, what we want at least is divx playback and i know psp is struggling to keep developers wanting to create games but when sony won't give us some of the basic things we expect it's no wonder the psp is slowly dying

simonjhall
June 17th, 2008, 20:06
Why should they do something special for 4.00? It's just a version number. They ran out of .1 increments in v3, and now it's time to go to 4. It's that simple.

Qmark
June 17th, 2008, 20:15
They ran out of .1 increments in v3, and now it's time to go to 4. Ah, but they still have plenty of .01 increments to play with!

mcdougall57
June 17th, 2008, 20:30
hardly popstation is it?

Murdock
June 17th, 2008, 21:24
Why can't u folks see it? $ony is just another greedy company with the intention to take ur money ...

They just don't want to implement good and entertaining features ... all they want is to make u buy addditional stuff u don't even want ... therefore, they offer "great" features like a ****IN google "addon" and hide another attempt to prevent CFWs in the new FW ...

It's just rubbish ... u really think they'll offer u divX? LOL forget it! They can't make money from it? It coysts them money? They won't make it! $ony is good in engineering high-tech parts together to form a great piece of hardware and to sell it at a rediculously high price .... but nothing else ... they've laughed at the Wii and lok where it is now: Outselling $ony products!

Don't hope that U'll see any good new features in further Firmwares ... the only reason for them to implement Skype into the new FWs was the hope to boost the selling of PSP Slims, since not all features of Skype work on the old one ... another thing that is not limited by hardware, but software, as we've seen in an impressive homebrew attempt! $ony just doesn'T want fat users to be able to use the entire software on old PSPs ... because if u want the features, u should buy the Slim version .. ADDITIONALLY to ur expensive investment, the old one!

Comming back to the FW 4.0 ... Don't install it, don't use it ... that's all one can say about it ... a piece of software that no1 needs!

Oh, and b4 I forget it: I doN't use the (pretty rubbish) browser of the PSP, but afaik, google.com wasn'T blocked by the browser before 4.0, was it? so what's the news here? LMFAO!

LilSwish722
June 17th, 2008, 21:58
First off...That rant was irritating to read. If they wanted to block firmware why not put *Added Security like they did in the past. They don't care whether or not people know it. Plus stop using the "$ony" thing. Yes, they wanna make money. EVERYONE WANTS TO MAKE MONEY. So really why not just start everyone's name witha dollar sign. Also, this is a pointless addon but did this post also say what else was being added...I think not. So quit judging this early.

Milleniumas
June 17th, 2008, 22:33
I do agree that I $hould u$e dollar $ign everywhere. It make$ me $uper awe$ome!

Edit:

I po$ted 64 po$t$? It $eems impo$$ible... I never po$t!

Triv1um
June 17th, 2008, 22:36
I do agree that I $hould u$e dollar $ign everywhere. It make$ me $uper awe$ome!

HAHA!

DCEmu's best post.

--------

Still, I do know what lilswish is saying.

Being a huge sony fan (call me a fanboy, whatever), of course they want to make money.

But they need to stop screwing everyone over. Its not fair.

Why cant they give us a good surprise for once?

mcdougall57
June 17th, 2008, 22:41
Come on that rant was poor at best. Do you take english by any chance? If not please do. Just a load of pointless CAPS, bad spellings and just poor grammar overall.

If you want to get a point across you could at least put the effort in to spell properly.

Its all about th£ pound sign the dollar i$ weak.

warsaw
June 17th, 2008, 22:44
Sorry LilSwish722, I'm with Murdock on this one. It's not just an exercise in bandwagoning to bash the big bad wolf here, but rather an honest (albiet cynical) look at the business practise that is the Sony corporate machine and how their arrogance and greed is really hurting a top (and dare I say it - 'ground breaking'?) portable entertainment platform.

For sure, the PSP honestly has no real rival on the market at the moment in terms of performance, but certainly by no means doesn't mean that it's the best. The GPx2 would clearly be a winner over the PSP if it had better hardware and powering options and the sales figures for the NDS clearly speaks for itself.

Sony reps might like to think because they had a unit which operates differently to the likes of the DS that it shouldn't be compared to it, but realistically nothing could be further from the truth. Many consumers won't buy both platforms - they will generally choose one or the other and by and far the DS is leading the charge in this respect.

Why?

I do actually own both the DS and the PSP - both platforms have pros and cons, but it's highly frustrating to have such a solid piece of hardware virtually crippled by large corporations who want you to use the product they way THEY want you to, rather than explore the limits of the technology at hand.

This isn't just about having a go at the big corporations as greedy monkeys, but rather having a product provider trying to dictate terms to ME on how to use a product I purchase from them.

Screw the establishment I say I 100% support the efforts of the unofficial mod teams out there who try and bring to life and explore the true potential of a consumer product I have owned and paid for.

Sony's 'right' in regards to how I use my PSP ended when I paid for the product. I'll continue to use my PSP in any way I see fit from here as will most others who frequent sites like this searching for the means to explore the limits of what is otherwise an excellent gadget.

Peace out!

alanparker05
June 17th, 2008, 22:58
The simple fact is that sony had so much success with ps1 and ps2 that they seem to have the mistaken belief that people will blindly buy whatever they make and they make little effort to give us what we want and people are now starting to realise this and are switching to microsoft and nintendo

Nocuddle
June 17th, 2008, 23:00
*anti climax ON*

Brilliant update! Wonderful! Cant wait! I get horny! boink!

*anti climax still ON*

jamotto
June 17th, 2008, 23:19
Not much left to add to the PSP, any real big changes will probably occur when the PSP 2 ships.

PoorKingz
June 17th, 2008, 23:19
What's the big deal? Atleast the PSP gets updates. Sony doesn't have to spend the time and money updating the firmware but they do.

And Skype wasn't a ploy to get people who own the original PSP to buy the new PSP Slim. That's absurd. Sony loses money each PSP sold in hopes that people buy enough games to make up for it and make a profit. So if you bought two PSPs, then unless you plan to buy twice as much games, Sony isn't making a profit from you.

warsaw
June 17th, 2008, 23:34
The 'updates' are minimal on the features front and more aimed at a lame attempt to tighten down security to funnel the homebrewers and pirates into their commercial aims.

Don't be so naive as to think the constant updates to the firmware provide any real benefit to you as a user of their product. That would be misguided...

PoorKingz
June 18th, 2008, 00:24
The 'updates' are minimal on the features front and more aimed at a lame attempt to tighten down security to funnel the homebrewers and pirates into their commercial aims.

Don't be so naive as to think the constant updates to the firmware provide any real benefit to you as a user of their product. That would be misguided...

Not really. With Pandora and CFW, Sony probably gave up. The latest updates do not have added security.

warsaw
June 18th, 2008, 00:36
Hence why the latest updates are lame pieces of crap perhaps?

firedragon_jing
June 18th, 2008, 00:50
I doubt that these will be the only features added in 4.00, my guess is a full list will be announced at E3, it'll come sooner than you think.

PoorKingz
June 18th, 2008, 01:13
Hence why the latest updates are lame pieces of crap perhaps?

You dont have to update. Nobody is forcing you. Its free so you can't bitch about it.

firedragon_jing
June 18th, 2008, 01:17
You dont have to update. Nobody is forcing you. Its free so you can't bitch about it.
Wrong, if future games that people are interested in, such as Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep require firmware over 4.00, then they'll need to update.

LilSwish722
June 18th, 2008, 01:24
Wrong, if future games that people are interested in, such as Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep require firmware over 4.00, then they'll need to update.

Assuming people ARE actually interested in it. It's supposed to be along the same lines as Chains of Memories. With the cards and stuff. Which killed it IMO. Also, I owned a DS too, and hated it. Sold it to Gamestop and bought GH3. Not that I'm complaining, I bought the DS for 15 bucks with 9 games, sold the DS ALONE for 50. But what I'm trying to get at is, I doubt this will be the only features added to 4.0. 3.0 had some nice features. Really, anything in between 1-2 or 2-3 etc...is just filler and minor updates. Of course Sony wants to make money, they are a BUSINESS.

Dembonz
June 18th, 2008, 03:11
Of course Sony wants to make money, they are a BUSINESS.

I know this may be unpopular, but I like Sony and believe they are trying to give people what they want within the limits of their business structure. The PSP is a very technical, versitile, innovative machine. Yeah, updates have been slow for the PS3 and PSP (shamefully) but I believe while Sony's true vision and potential for them has yet to be realized, it's slowly coming together.
There is alot of untapped potential for the PSP, it's a little dissapointing, but they can't please everyone. But nothing out on the market even comes close to doing what it can. Especially at it's price. The DS? Not even close.
Firmware 4.00 may still suprise you, it's not like it's a full list of features they are adding!
Give Sony a break.

pspmodel1001
June 18th, 2008, 04:23
Give Sony a break.

What Dembonz said:cool:

Besides, if they at least update flashplayer and give more supported video formats, I'll be happy with it. Till then I'm not updating, it's a waste of time.

jamotto
June 18th, 2008, 07:22
It would seem that 4.00 is now out.

djbrotherson
June 18th, 2008, 08:28
ofw 4.00 is garbage, stick with what you have, I doubt DAX will make a cfw for this

lol Sony is retarded

andwhyisit
June 18th, 2008, 11:22
ofw 4.00 is garbage, stick with what you have, I doubt DAX will make a cfw for this

lol Sony is retarded

I hope he does. The custom buttons option in pops will make it worth it.

jxx2005
June 18th, 2008, 14:52
why isnt this on the official sony site yet?
official sony site ays 3.95 is the one they show

flaminfox
June 18th, 2008, 16:31

ur both right and wrong. not all games require you to update especially cfw.

I remembered using 3.52 and needed 3.71

I tested games in 3.90 tht still work with 3.71

warsaw
June 18th, 2008, 23:08
It's really irrelevant at the end of the day.

But I will point out that just because something is 'free' doesn't automatically mean you don't reserve the right to take issue with it.

Let's not forget the minor fact I paid a pretty handsome sum to Sony for the PSP in the first place...

Indeed Sony are producing what they can within limitation of a business model, which is both good and bad.

It's just a shame to see such a quality unit be held back because of poor software and severe limitations in what you can do with it.

I don't think any of us are satisfied with what Sony has on offer in it's stock standard PSP options, hence why we're all here on a site which promotes and supports hacking of the PSP to ensure it's reaches it's true potential.

Or put another way, let's all assume for a moment you had two PSPs side by side. One is the standard PSP model that Sony offer's you, the other is basically a GPx2 with PSP level quality components.

Which unit do you go for?

kjetil1991
June 20th, 2008, 10:39
eh my homepage on my psp is google looool i dont need it ;P