PDA

View Full Version : Sony releases PSP security patch

wraggster
October 3rd, 2005, 18:09
Source - Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61115)

Sony's released a 2.01 firmware upgrade for Japanese PSPs. Its only function, as far as we can work out, is to close the security hole that allows people to downgrade their systems to version 1.5 system software, which can be easily manipulated to run homemade emulators, games and other software applications loaded onto the Memory Stick.

We'd question the logic behind this 2.01 strategy of Sony's, but then we'd end up using the word "logic" in conjunction with it, which wouldn't do at all. The patch has to be manually applied to a Japanese PSP running 2.00, but surely the people who are prepared to apply will have decided they don't care about downgrading anyway? It doesn't actually make any difference to anything else – there certainly aren't any games out there that won't work without it, and you can fool the ones that think they need 1.51/2 or 2.00 into running on earlier firmware anyway.

It's not so much locking the stable door after the horses have bolted, then, as it is asking the bloke who opened the stable door in the first place if he wouldn't mind going off, fetching the horses, putting them back again and then locking the door afterward. The only other explanation is that this so-called security update has been designed to prey on the gullible and uninformed. Surely not!

By the way – the website warns people outside Japan not to apply it and to wait for regional versions to emerge. So far there's no sign of it on the American PSP system update page.

Still, if you own a Japanese PSP and want to apply 2.01, you can do so on the Sony Japan website. Doing so renders you slightly less naughty than you were before, but you're still going to hell for buying a Japanese PSP in the first place. That said, you're not the only ones.

(Is anyone gonna upgrade and ruin the only chance to downgrade - i think not)

Stew2000
October 3rd, 2005, 20:28
I'm a minority, I Upgraded!

SiZiOUS
October 3rd, 2005, 21:29
I'm a minority, I Upgraded!
Feel free to do it.

The only other explanation is that this so-called security update has been designed to prey on the gullible and uninformed. Surely not!
Agree. Why Sony called this patch a "security upgrade" ? Do you know any virus for PSP (or other things like that) ... ?

People updating their PSP with this update aren't informed about the scene, that's it.

shadow77
October 3rd, 2005, 22:50
I don't see why anyone would update, nothing Sony offers will make me upgrade to the latest firmware.

I also see many posts saying that they will have to upgrade to the latest version for new games coming out etc.. and I mean wow, I can't belive people still think this, there have been ways to bypass FW checks for MONTHS now.

SiZiOUS
October 3rd, 2005, 23:00
To continue playing homebrew with games asking for firmware 2.01, you must install the new SXT Version Changer 2.1. It emulates a 2.01 firmware on 1.50.

Avialable here (http://www.sonyxteam.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=5) (but site offline for now).

wraggster
October 3rd, 2005, 23:12
thanks for the PM/news Sizious ill grab the file later

SiZiOUS
October 3rd, 2005, 23:47
Ah ok Wraggs. :)

aruka57
October 3rd, 2005, 23:54
so another completely useless update, yay...

*hugs the 1.50 system and sings it stories at night*

Plude220
October 4th, 2005, 00:54
No One In Thier Right Mind Would Download This Pointless Update...

xuphorz
October 4th, 2005, 01:00
some one did, see second post
then again, he ain't in his right mind

Privateer
October 4th, 2005, 01:07
Ugh, all the new games are gonna require this. Will a new version of WAB Version Changer be released, you think?

Psyberjock
October 4th, 2005, 01:33
Privateer Ugh, all the new games are gonna require this. Will a new version of WAB Version Changer be released, you think?

Are you referring to the SXT Version changer that was mentioned earlier? Because if you are, I think the answer is yes.

SiZiOUS To continue playing homebrew with games asking for firmware 2.01, you must install the new SXT Version Changer 2.1. It emulates a 2.01 firmware on 1.50.

Avialable here (but site offline for now).

YourStillWithMe
October 4th, 2005, 01:53
guys the version changer is out and it works perfectly! i downloaded that half-ass BS update to try it out and it works like a gem (yes i put it on my psp in the UPDATE folder just to be EXTRA sure it worked! ;) ) the psp says its a 2.01 when its a 1.00 or 1.5 and i also tried it out with a 1.52 update (madden) and it also works. you can get it at www.sonyxteam.com in the download section. . . I gave DETAILS FOR THE NOOBS. . .

ps-if you upgraded to this firmware WILLINGLY i think your insane. . . Plain And Simple. However if you upgraded from a 2.00 i MIGHT understand that because of the fear of the downgrader. 1.5-2.01 your smoking something. . .

candrews
October 4th, 2005, 03:00
I dont think ne one should upgdate thier psp bc thier is no reason 2 atleast if they were going to do somthing like this they should give incentivies to update like flash or java support.

RedKing14CA
October 4th, 2005, 04:28
too bad i turned my 1.5 for a 2.0, its like i stayed in the horse barn thing, lol... i was the only dumb horse... i hope they give me a 2.0 and not a 2.01

Stew2000
October 4th, 2005, 10:28
some one did, see second post
then again, he ain't in his right mind
First of all, I upgraded because I got bored with V1.50.
Second, I'm never right in my mind. :D