PDA

View Full Version : NeoDS 0.2.0 released - NeoGeo Emulator for Nintendo DS

JKKDARK
June 20th, 2008, 18:26
Ingramb has released a New version of the excellent Neo Geo emulator (http://groups.google.com/group/neods/files) for Nintendo DS.

Changelog:

* Key configuration
* Pause key
* Put DS to sleep when lid is closed
* Save SRAM and NeoDS configuration to flashcard
* Fix crash when switching roms on certain flash cards
* Fix palettte bank swap bug on tile layer (metal slug 1 hud)
* Improve accuracy of vcounter, and vposition interrupts (fix freeze in Samurai Showdown 3, fix graphics in Blazing Star level 2, probly others)
* Fix issues when using dldi and slot2 ram from same flashcard (like supercard lite)
* Fix graphical corruption that occurs after a while when using slot2 ram

Download and give feedback and Compatability reports via comments

wraggster
June 20th, 2008, 18:29
another sweet release for the ds scene :)

zzt
June 20th, 2008, 19:05
Yeah, the DS scene has been quite alive as of late. Between this and Still Alive we are getting spoiled:D

Oh, and welcome back wraggster:)

isoptera4
June 21st, 2008, 01:41
Great job thank you. It'd be nice if the emu and roms could be placed in other folders though.

agenericperson
June 21st, 2008, 02:32
Great job thank you. It'd be nice if the emu and roms could be placed in other folders though.

I completely agree. NeoDS is one of the best DS homebrew projects. That is my only complaint. That one directory always gets cluttered because everyone uses it.

paul3100
June 21st, 2008, 07:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoptera4 View Post

I completely agree. NeoDS is one of the best DS homebrew projects. That is my only complaint. That one directory always gets cluttered because everyone uses it.

Yep ill third that, would be nice to have a configuration file so we can put roms and emulator where we want!

But what an excellent emulator , its been out only a couple of months and its more complete than any other emulator for the DS :thumbup:

Thank you for this Ingramb :D

EDIT:

Quote fom Ingramb:

Could i recommend that in the next version NeoDS could be able to read the roms in any folder (my NeoDS isn't in the root and works fine)?

Yah, I was meaning to add that to the current version actually, but I forgot Smile Will be in soon.
paul

acidspunk
June 21st, 2008, 15:22
Just out of curiosity, can the DS actually run NeoGeo games fullspeed?!

Steely
June 21st, 2008, 17:27
Yeah, refer to the compatibility list.

heathenasparagus
June 21st, 2008, 17:59
Viewpoint, which worked before, doesnt work now.
also, jarbled graphics when M3Real slot2 cartridge is present still exist.
Tested on:
Roboarmy
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug 4

Japanese NDS lite, M3Real. firmware 3.7e

LazerTag
June 23rd, 2008, 18:29
I can't wait to fire up 2020 Baseball on the DS, one of my favorites.

Slightly off topic, I've always thought that all the Metal Slug games seemed to be a rehash of the first. I always presumed they simply were making new sprites and graphics and reusing all the same code. At least that's how it feel to me.

So seeing the compatibility list showing problems with MS1 and MS2, but not the others, does that sort of "prove" they really are not the same code rehashed?

Just a random curiosity of mine, nothing more.

isoptera4
June 23rd, 2008, 19:06
They're not the same game as they have different plots.

jangosolo
June 25th, 2008, 21:55
Allo

I've tried the previous version and this one, but its still not running for me.

I'm using the Supercard Lite and I have used the appropriate DLDI patch (the same I have used for JEnesisDS)

I have transfered the patched file to the root of my card, but all I get is one black and one white screen!

Can anyone help me out?

Much appreciated!

isoptera4
June 25th, 2008, 23:47
I have had the best results but have had problems with the following roms I have tested:

Sengoku 3 and Ganryu - uni bios 1.0, 1.1, and 2.3 freeze when you try to use the cheat menu

Samurai Showdown 5 Special freezes when cheat menu is toggled with uni bios 2.3 (1.0 and 1.1 have no cheats for this game because it is so new)

"Bank Error" with uni bios 1.0, 1.1, 2.3:

Samurai Showdown 3,4 (Not with samsho 2)
Real Bout FF 1,2,Spec.

Graphical Glitch and Crash with KOF 2000-2003 with uni bios 1.0, 1.1, 2.3

I am also using an m3 lite slot 2 device in case this info is useful

Sir_Voe
June 26th, 2008, 00:11
Allo

I've tried the previous version and this one, but its still not running for me.

I'm using the Supercard Lite and I have used the appropriate DLDI patch (the same I have used for JEnesisDS)

I have transfered the patched file to the root of my card, but all I get is one black and one white screen!

Can anyone help me out?

Much appreciated!

Check the 3rd post on this page for a possible solution:

http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=6503&start=15

jangosolo
June 26th, 2008, 11:30
Check the 3rd post on this page for a possible solution:

http://boards.pocketheaven.com/viewtopic.php?t=6503&start=15

Cheers, I'll have a crack at that when I get home from work

I assume that the emu should still run with just the nds file and no gamefiles (*.neo) - I should still see some kind of menu right?

Everything else I've put on the card has worked a treat. The other thing I can look at is the FW of the Supercard lite I suppose.

EDIT - Nice one - thats done the trick, just the games to suss out now, getting a quick flash of green and then a z80 error!

EDIT2 - YES!! wrong bios - its all working now and its absolutely awesome - Ingramb = Genius

Meloku
July 7th, 2008, 04:48
I have some troubles when converting roms with the new NeoDsConverter...
When trying to convert kof98.zip the program asks for 242-p1.bin and stops converting. I tried converting the same rom with an older converter (0.1 version specifically) and it do the job pretty well... but then when I load the rom on my cart, NeoDS doesn't seem to recognize it.
I'm gonna try with another games, but it seems that Kof98 is bugged.

rikseaside
July 9th, 2008, 21:43
Three cheers for Ingramb!

I've just used NeoDS for the first time after seeing this new version had been released, and I'm very impressed. I started with Metal Slug (which I've never played before, but it seemed the obvious choice) and it works very well indeed. I think I'd better sign up to the Pocket Heaven forum as well now so I can join in the fun properly...

Penguinator
July 13th, 2008, 14:30
The converter seems to convert only the neogeo.zip .

TihadBaker
July 14th, 2008, 20:09
The NeoDSConvert.exe so far has only been able to convert Metalslug games.
I tried getting elevator.zip to convert (contains .bin files and such) and it doesnt appear to even attempt to convert it. However when i changed it's name to metalslug.zip, it attempts a conversion and says

Opening ROM file: 201-p1.bin
Missing file

So is neodsconverter.exe only compatible with only certain "known" games or is ElevatorActin just not compatible?

.:PSP1.0:.
July 15th, 2008, 09:29
The NeoDSConvert.exe so far has only been able to convert Metalslug games.
I tried getting elevator.zip to convert (contains .bin files and such) and it doesnt appear to even attempt to convert it. However when i changed it's name to metalslug.zip, it attempts a conversion and says

Opening ROM file: 201-p1.bin
Missing file

So is neodsconverter.exe only compatible with only certain "known" games or is ElevatorActin just not compatible?

Yeah i noticed this too when i was trying to convert tophunter all files inside the .zip file are in .bin format but when i try and convert it using the provided converter nothing happens :confused: weird! lol

zzt
July 20th, 2008, 04:35
Is anyone still getting the black screen flicker on Blazing star level 2? I am.

crookedmouth
July 20th, 2008, 04:49
Is anyone still getting the black screen flicker on Blazing star level 2? I am.

Yes, it seems to come and go. Lvl 3 it goes back to normal I believe.

evilmario666
September 1st, 2008, 17:04
what does it mean by bios rom?

evilmario666
September 1st, 2008, 17:28
it doesnt convert ...

evilmario666
September 1st, 2008, 18:01
Need Help!!

RamZee
September 1st, 2008, 18:38
what does it mean by bios rom? bios = basic input/output system ie. the program to read the joystick and output screen graphics on the Neo Geo Arcade Machine.

The bios file (ie. neogeo.zip) is needed with the game rom (ie. mslug.zip) for NeoDSConvert.exe to work.

You then use the converted rom file (ie. mslug.neo) with the emulator (NeoDs.nds) in the root directory of your flash card on your DS.

There is a youtube video that may help
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yipAW796hM

Black.
September 25th, 2008, 09:39
hi,
the converter in the folder won't seem to work (im converting all six of the metal slug games; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and X) CAn anyone help? Much appreciated :)

crimeclown420
September 26th, 2008, 17:14
I've play'd MAME game on my PC, so I have a few downloaded. I saw this emu for my DS & got it too, but only the Metal Slug games seem to play(among a few others). I REALLY wanna play the splatter house :thumbup: (http://www.rom-world.com/file.php?id=21471) for MAME. From what I've read, NeoDS plays alot of the MAME ROMS, correct? Is there anyway to get this one running or will there be more playable games in the future with NeoDS patches?

crookedmouth
September 26th, 2008, 19:15
NeoDS only emulates NeoGeo games. In the other thread I mentioned the Genesis version of splatterhouse, as I recall they are decent ports.

heres what the author wrote about mame sets

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback so far.

I know it's been mentioned, but you need MAME compatible roms for NeoDS. The converter is actually a stripped down version of MAME, which handles all the decrytion/protection crap that newer NeoGeo games have. But it will only load games that are in the format MAME expects (even the file name must be correct).

I know this is kinda a pain, especially if you have a collection of roms for a different emulator, but it would be more or less impossible for me to try to support every type of dump. So I chose MAME as the standard. If MAME can't load it, the converter may ignore it, and it certainly won't work in NeoDS. It's possible that rom organizing programs might be able to fixup non-MAME sets, but I haven't really tried this.

I'll try to get some of the broken games working soon. Metal Slug 1 used to work for me, so I must have broken it shortly before release =)

igor02
September 27th, 2008, 18:35
please help
I cannot convert the games =/

crookedmouth
September 27th, 2008, 19:46
You need to find the neogeo.zip roms, put that in the same folder as NeoDSConvert and your game .zips, look for the mame versions in .bin format,make a short-cut of NeoDsConvert.exe, and add "-bios1" to end of the target(without the quotes).

example, the below bios is the one with the drug warnings.
NeoDsConvert\NeoDsConvert.exe -bios3

Just right-click the shortcut go to properties and add the -bios1 to the target box.

Run the shortcut and copy the created .neo files to the root of your microSD. NeoDS.nds can go anywhere but the games need to be in the root.

You of course need to find the bios, somewhere.

Hope that helps.

Max10
May 16th, 2009, 20:06
Sorry if I up this topic, but the bios mentionned in the latest message are here : http://www.rom-world.com/file.php?id=22504

I got a version of SVC Chaos - SNK Vs Capcom who works. I can send it to you if you want it.

guidodinho
October 16th, 2009, 18:25
Wow, this works excellent! I didn't think the DS could handle emulating the Neo-Geo but it's working great. Playing The King Of Fighters and Metal Slug right now.

mattsaysfooey
October 16th, 2009, 21:09
Did the author include a homepage or something with a donation link?

ablauser1
December 30th, 2009, 21:15
Took me a minute to locate the correct roms to convert. Once I got them it worked great. This is nothing less than amazing! Takes me back to when I spent all of my quarters playing Samurai Shodown 2 with my buddy on the arcade machine. The BEST Homebrew out there for the NDS in my opinion. (running TTMenu_V1.17a07 firmware on DSTT Card for DSLite)