PDA

View Full Version : cquake 20/06/08 Released

wraggster
June 21st, 2008, 17:22
elhobbs has released a new port of Quake for the DS, heres the original release info:

I have released my version of a quake port for the nintendo ds. I named it cquake for lack of a better name. The frame rate is not the best but I think it is playable on easy or normal. Hard and Nightmare are not very playable.

you can check it out at:
http://code.google.com/p/cquake/

be sure to read the readme_cquake.txt file as it includes some important notes about defragmenting the PAK files.

I left some debugging code turned on that can be used to trace failure points at startup. If you see a message that says "wait for it..." then you need to press the A button to continue. This only occurs during startup. You can turn off the rest of the debug messages by going to the console and setting developer to 0

Like this:
developer 0

I have tested this on:
Ezflash 5
Supercard Lite microsd
Max Media Doc CF

I have not tested this on a FAT32 or SDHC card as I do not have the hardware. So, I would be curious to know the results.

Download and give feedback via comments

MrSkiz
June 27th, 2008, 13:49
Hi !

I've tested it on a M3 Simply. Quite good job, seems a little more fluid, better lightning and shadowing and less texture flickering than SimonJHall's... I hope there's still place for improvements and that the author is still at work on it.

A little problem though : maybe I'm wrong but it seems that putting brightness at full make all the textures gone... But this bug show how well the lightning/shadowing is performed by the brew, and that there's definitively a track to be followed : less texture-intensive, and more well lit color based surfaces.

Then the DS' awful lack of texture filtering can be circumvented in some degrees, in a way that can really be aesthetic.

A good example of what I mean is the recent Wall-E DS adaptation : while lacking of shadows the game is very aesthetic with these pretty cartoony/concept-arty style in term of low-poly modeling, near-absent textures but flat tints of colors, and overall reinforced by a good job in the animation department.

Sir_Voe
June 28th, 2008, 07:02
New version here...

http://code.google.com/p/cquake/downloads/list