PDA

View Full Version : My DC is freezing

killbuddy
October 4th, 2005, 01:42
i just bought a used DC off of ebay and I got it today. works fine for about 5 minites when i play some demos. after that i would put in a different disc. and it would not play any sound at all. i would go to select a game demo and it would begin to load then it just freezes. has anyone had this happen to them. i even tried to clean the power contacts going from the ps to the mobo. help please cuz i am about to buy another one.

thanks for the help

obelisk
October 4th, 2005, 04:10
Hey, man, welcome to the forums.
yeah, carefully remove the white power connector clamp thing, and try to very carefully clean the posts, you don't need to cause abrasion, or scratching, but if idoesn't work, use an emory board, metal nail file or etc, i used my keys that way on a friends dc, and while i may not have done it as good as i could have, his machine works now, as opposed to it dying out.
Good Luck, and best wishes. - Also- there may be a tutorial with pics, look around here, dcemulation.com, or dchelp.

killbuddy
October 4th, 2005, 06:26
yea i was just playing dead or alive 2 demo for about 10 or 15 min and all of the suddon my video was getting messed up big time and the audio started to go haywire as well. is it possible that the person who had it before i bought it off of ebay tried to do a oc mod on it. i think that it is getting too hot in there. so as to cool it off i was thinking about making a custom heatpipe solution. get a block of copper or aluminum and attach it to the two main procs. drill some holes into the blocks and put some small copper pipe into them and solder the pipes in place making sure that they will reach the outside of the case. find a sutable raidator and attach the pipes coming from the two procs to them and not before adding some water in the pipes. solder the proc pipes to the radiators and put some fans on them. if you could do you think that this would work and at the same time be suitable cooling for the procs inside as well as reduce the internal temp below the GD-ROM drive. thanks for your input.

ptr.exe
October 5th, 2005, 15:24
I wouldnt do all that unless you're sure the DC is overheating, take the mobo out of the case, set it all up and put an external fan blowing onto the sh-4 and gfx and see if the problem persists, if it does then overheating is not the problem.

Also, OCing a DC doesnt usually cause major problems in heat, the increase in heat is nominal if it's only a 'standard' OC to 240Mhz. My DC is OC'd to 252Mhz without any extra cooling and it works fine, probably should get round to putting something there eventually :p