PDA

View Full Version : QuakeGX - 2008/06/13 - Quake for Nintendo Wii

wraggster
June 21st, 2008, 19:50
Eluan Miranda (http://code.google.com/p/quake-gamecube/downloads/list) has released an Hardware accelrated version of Quake for the Nintendo Wii:

Release Notes for version 0.01
To correctly see the transparent water without artifacts, please apply Vispatch to your pak0.pak (and pak1.pak, if you have the full version) file.
This is an early release. I am not currently able to solve the freezing bug until my USBGecko arrives. International mail is SLOW, so please be patient. :)
Be sure to read the "Installation" section for info regarding the different Wiimote button mappings.
If you notice a split-second freezing, quickly save you progress and quit the game, then reload it. At least it warns before freezing. :D

General notes
You can freely change button bindings on the Wiimote without affecting the GC pad bindings, except for the D-Pad on both controllers and Start/Plus. These are paired and changing one's binding will change the other
There is still no music support, but expect it for future releases. (Probably you will have to rip your original quake music from your CD.)
There is a new menu option for adjusting the size of the screen to adjust for your TV's overscan. (Does not work with the GX accelerated version yet.)
Software rendering notes
All of the original dosquake rendering features are supported.
Unfortunately, the original palette is converted from RGB8 to RGB565. The best way to correct this is writing a full 24-bit software renderer, but don't expect it soon.
Framerate may be a bit choppy and there is still no support for going back to the old 320x200 resolution.
Software rendering is only available through svn.
Hardware rendering notes
Full speed, fully implemented GX port of the original glquake, with some new features being added gradually.
Supports all of the original glquake features: dynamic lightmaps, water transparency, and more.
To make the water correctly transparent, you will need water-vised maps.

Download Quake Shareware Version (http://quake-gamecube.googlecode.com/files/Quake_shareware.zip)

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

fg-54
June 21st, 2008, 23:31
wow! looks pretty awesome!

metroid87
June 26th, 2008, 23:47
i have the full version of quake, which i actually owned. but whan i go into the folder ID1 ther are no .pak files, not pak1 or pak0 ther i a folder that i called maps and other stuff can anyone help, I would like to play more than the first mission. by the way great job on getting this to work!!

bigking
July 2nd, 2008, 00:41
Awesome release, definitely doesn't get the attention it deserves. It's much better looking than the non-GX version, so everybody that wasn't really satisfied with that version should give this a shot.

Really smooth, probably the best looking homebrew app released on the Wii. Some minor bugs, but very promising and already very playable.

Can't wait for a Quake 2, or even better 3 Arena, GX port though. Anyway, a big thank you to the author!

iSynic
July 2nd, 2008, 03:48
I looks great and runs silky smooth. Controls are very tight.

Thanks!

pcartwright81
July 2nd, 2008, 13:18
I agree this is a great project. I have been playing quake on the Wii since the first release with Wii mote support. The color pallet on this version needed adjusting, but the controls were very responsive so I still played it. I just started playing the GX version and I was pleasantly surprised. The graphics look crisp on my 51" tv, and I haven't ran into any glitches. Keep up the great work.

gary_abernethy2
July 21st, 2008, 15:05
Which is the better version?
This GX version or the Wii version?
I couldnt get the homebrew channel to put the Wii version on the load menu. Will I have more luck if I try this one?

KristenBaldousor
July 21st, 2008, 19:32
Which is the better version?
This GX version or the Wii version?
I couldnt get the homebrew channel to put the Wii version on the load menu. Will I have more luck if I try this one?

GX Version = Wii version