PDA

View Full Version : New Threat to PSP and DS ?

wraggster
June 22nd, 2008, 19:19
http://digital.asiaone.com/A1MEDIA/digital/06Jun08/others/20080622.155655_20080622-st-playonline.jpg

Watch out, Sony PlayStation Portable and Nintendo DS. A new portable game console that could rival the market heavyweights is set to hit the shelves here next year.

This week, South Korean firm Posdata showed off what would be the first handheld console in Singapore that has a built-in wireless broadband connection.

The Flyvo G100 comes with familiar directional buttons like those found on the Nintendo DS.

But it also hooks up to the Internet using WiMax, a wireless technology characterised as a long-range version of Wi-Fi. This means users can play games online with friends wherever they go, and not just at cafes and other hot spots providing Wi-Fi.

Local Internet service provider QMax Communications, which is now rolling out a WiMax network here, will sell the game device, along with its wireless broadband service.

QMax director Alex Tan said the company plans to bring the G100 here next year, although the price has not been set.

The device runs on Microsoft's Windows CE software, sports a 4-inch screen and has 4GB of space to store games and other files.

Its main challenge, acknowledged Mr Tan, is to come up with hit games. Sony and Nintendo have both built up libraries of popular titles over the years, while Posdata will be starting from scratch.

http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/News/Story/A1Story20080622-72210.html

____anders____
June 22nd, 2008, 20:38
possible homebrew device?

i would like to see the hardware specs once it's out.

goity
June 22nd, 2008, 21:10
bloody hell, it's more than likely just another JXD-alike.

wraggster
June 22nd, 2008, 21:31
whats this wiimax thing

mikebeaver
June 22nd, 2008, 22:25
whats this wiimax thing

WiMAX, the Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access, is a telecommunications technology that provides wireless data in a variety of ways, from point-to-point links to full mobile cellular type access.

Nabbed it from the Wiki as it was quicker than typing it out, seems there is a large scale operation of this going on in Pakistan, where they have 17 cities hooked up to it, in the UK "Pipex" have the rights to it (or something similar) and were given an awful lot of money by a company a few years back (Intel I think but cant remember now) to look in to it etc, thought about buying shares in the company based on that but they seem to have done nothing with it here and may even have sold off the rights to it now.

Mike..

0_o
July 26th, 2008, 18:37
It'll end up like the Gizmondo :(

JKKDARK
July 26th, 2008, 18:57
Yes, I don't think it will do anything against PSP or DS. Just liek the many homebrew handhelds.

AdamRav
July 27th, 2008, 00:49
If it has decent games then maybe

but i doubt it'll even get close on number of units sold