PDA

View Full Version : Interview with yoshihiro from SXT

wraggster
October 4th, 2005, 19:58
Yoshihiro was interviewed by French Site Metagames.fr (http://www.metagames-fr.com/Article257_Interview-de-Yoshihiro.php) heres a excerpt from that interview which has been translated by PSP Vault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article329.psp)

How did you come to the PSP? Do you own other consoles?

I came to the PSP because I found it was not a bad device at the begining and when I got my hands on one, homebrews weren't working yet.
A this time I used my PSP to watch my pictures but also to test its weakness and study its behaviour during the launch of eboot.pbp files like the 1.0 update from Sony launched in January 2005.
For the other consoles I own a modified PS2 with a HDD, 2 Xbox (one modified with a dev kit) and a modified Gamecube.

Ive mirrored the entire interview via the comments so that full comments can be made.

wraggster
October 4th, 2005, 19:58
Could you introduce yourself a bit?

I am a young 24y/o dad, father of a little boy. I love electronic and I am a big fan of video games.
For me developping is a hobby and not my work, unless someone need me...

How did you come to the PSP? Do you own other consoles?

I came to the PSP because I found it was not a bad device at the begining and when I got my hands on one, homebrews weren't working yet.
A this time I used my PSP to watch my pictures but also to test its weakness and study its behaviour during the launch of eboot.pbp files like the 1.0 update from Sony launched in January 2005.
For the other consoles I own a modified PS2 with a HDD, 2 Xbox (one modified with a dev kit) and a modified Gamecube.

Why developping on the PSP rather than on other consoles, just the fun of hacking?

No simply because the PSP is really autonomous, no need to use a TV or screen to make tests and developments. I don't bother anyone and I can stay on my side, working.

How would you define yourself, programmer or hacker?

When you developp you sometime need to write clean codes and in that case I am a real developper like when I write a Sega emulator for the PSP, a Xbox BIOS or a Xbox dash like Dash2Gam.
But sometimes it is not possible and you need to find your way out one way or another. Like when we started with the exploit for the 2.0, we didn't have the choice. The PSP hung 50% of the time if the code was too complete, asm didn't go well!

How did it all start? Were you expecting so much rumors/bad mouthing about the project?

I expected that a few persons will talk badly about it and that others will start "riots" against me on differents forums. But everything really started on a misunderstanding of a date.
PSPSpot announced the release of the downgrader for spetember 1st at midnite. Evertything started wrongly as I only told them that I was waiting for an European PSP on september 1st. Then you know the rest...

What can you say to shut down all the rumors?

All the donations made to me were use to buy an European PSP, but the PSP died the day the downgrader was released. I only asked for donations from August 28th to September 1st.

Can you tell us why it is dangerous to flash the firmware?

The Nand contains all the PSP system and it is dangerous to flash it with non official tools because there are several segments to unblock to access the Nand correctly.

It seems you took a new start. What are your project in the SXT team?

For now I think it will always be hacking the kernel. Now the downgrader has opened the door to everyone. It is possible to do everything you want, eveything we want with the kernel, so just keep it up...
Otherwise I am now looking for the PSP eeprom, I have a few words to tell her...

I am not a programmer, could you explain me simply what is the meaning of the kboot.bin structure?

The kboot.bin is what is needed to boot the hardware. It is like on a PC, without the BIOS (Award or Ami) your mother board will never launch your operating system. The kboot is at the PSP what the BIOS is to your PC and in the Nand,Lflash is the operating system of the PSP.

Now concerning the firmware 2.01, any clues, where are we heading for?

I haven't got any feedback on the firmaware 2.01 yet but I suppose that Sony fixed all the known holes and we will have to wait until someone find a new hole before releasing anything...

What is going to change for you now? How are you going to proceed with your future releases?

Now I think I am just going to shut up until I release anything and leave the surprise. I learnt my lesson.

Do you code demo?

No, it is AloneTrio from WAB who code graphic demo. He is only good at this. Me, I am more into hacks and write the core of applications. I like to find a way around protections...

The problem with the downgrader is that the new codecs aren't working anymore?

Yes it is true but I am going to work on the problem with UMD video in order to make a little something. You have to remember that the 1.50, 1.51 and 1.52 OS use the same key to decrypt the video files PRX but after the calls for internal functions may differ and can hang the PSP in case of modifications.
For the AVC codec you will absolutly need to upgrade to 2.0, at least for now...

What do you think of the new peripherals like PSP2TV which connect the PSP to the TV? And the NEOMS that will let us use other memory cards than the MS?

PSP2TV is a good thing to enjoy watching your UMDs with friends on your TV or play a racing game without having 5 heads looking over your shoulder while you are playing.
The only problem with PSP2TV is the price, too expensive for me: more than 100 euros. For the NEOMS, I think it is also a good thing to finally use memory cards of higher capacity and cheapper.

What would you like to say to the readers of this article?

I'd like that the false rumors concerning myself stop and that the site Gueux stop cautionning those rumors and attacks. Peoples even pretend that I have made the first PSP virus. Peoples are insulting me and try to demolish my reputation.
I hope that this childish rumors will stop one day. They are not constructive and the peoples who talk about me don't even know me.

RedKing14CA
October 5th, 2005, 05:16
yoshiro sounds OK, but is he japanese, or what, his english is kinda bad...

plungmonies
October 5th, 2005, 06:09
I think he is french, A photo of him was on wab a while ago.

nexus68
October 5th, 2005, 16:12
He's french.
Normally this interview is in french, has been translated by PSP Vault.
The bad reputation of yoshiro started on the xbox scene, it' not new. :rolleyes: