PDA

View Full Version : The State of the PSP

wraggster
June 25th, 2008, 20:58
Three years ago, the PlayStation Portable landed in the collective laps of gamers and the general public, and the reaction was mixed. Quality games rolled out but a perception that there was nothing to play on the platform dominated. UMD movies flooded the marketplace but few people were building up libraries. The system was selling but the Nintendo DS dominated the charts and made the Sony install base look tiny.

The system continued on its way with games and applications, but it wouldn't be until Sony President and CEO Jack Tretton took the stage at last year's E3 and held up the PSP Slim that stores would see a boom in interest. Suddenly, folks were scooping up the system as fast as they could to play classics such as Daxter alongside new titles such as Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron and God of War: Chains of Olympus.

Yet, here we are thundering towards E3 2008, and the Interwebs have been abuzz with PSP commentary. There aren't that many games announced for the show, there haven't been that many games released this year, and the outlook past E3 is foggy at best.

Is the PSP dying?

Rather than just give you our own ramblings on the PSP situation -- which we have included at the end of this piece -- the IGN PlayStation Team grabbed SCEA Director of Hardware Marketing John Koller for a 30-minute interview about all things PSP. We found out about GPS, a downloadable movie system, what third parties are looking to do with the system, and Koller even answered a few of our reader questions.

Let's grab a cup o'info.

IGN: Well, John, thank you so much for joining us. I think one of the big things on IGN readers' minds is where exactly the PSP is. In your opinion, what is the state of the PSP?

John Koller: The state of the PSP is very strong. It's a high-growth business for us. It's a highly demanded product. It's red hot for us -- we've had issues keeping it in stock in the last six to seven months, more of a supply issue really than anything else. And the demand has been there really since the price drop when the PSP-2000 launched last September. Overall, the sales are up -- just to put a number with it -- sales are up 87 percent since the 2000 launch in September. Year over year, we're up really across the board. It's very, very successful for us. It's a big part of SCEA, SCEE, and SCEI overall. It's a very important product. So, for us, there are a lot of things that are happening with the PSP, a lot of things that are going to happen. The kind of where we've been -- we launched at a time in 2005 when it was more of an older consumer that was getting into it. We're at a point now where this is a teen proposition -- 15, 16 year olds. We're schooled regularly in focus groups on how easy it is to put PSPs and hide them in books, the back of classrooms, and things of that nature. It's much more of a teen type product now. I think as we go forward, we're going to see a lot more integration with PlayStation 3, particularly as the install base of the PS3 continues to grow stratospherically in many ways, and the integration that is going to occur there is part and parcel of the strategy that the PS3 is the living room hub and really where your entertainment flows. Then, your PSP is your digital living room on the go, and being able to access your PS3 in a wide variety of ways is really a key part of our overall branding strategy. That's going to be something that you're going to see expanded on in future firmware updates and other things.

IGN: OK.

John Koller: That's a big part of it as well. So, long-winded answer to your question. PSP is very, very strong. We're very bullish on it here, and it's an exciting time.

IGN: You talked a little bit about that 2005 launch. When the PSP first hit, for a long time it seemed like it had this reputation that it couldn't get past in a lot of people's minds that "Oh, there's no good games. There's blah, blah." That's ignoring titles like Daxter, Hot Shots Golf, Lumines, I can go on -- these titles were there, but it had this reputation and then E3 comes around last year and you guys announce the 2000, the PSP Slim, and it seemed like immediately perceptions changed. When those bundles were released, people were scooping them up and, like you said, it's been hard to keep those in stock or get people the ones they specifically wanted. It seems like right now, there's this lull, and I think you have a lot of people that have bought those Slims wondering. There's been a lot of talk -- I'm sure you see on the boards all the time -- is the PSP dying? How do you respond to criticism like that or comments like that?

Chains of Olympus -- the PSP blueprint from here on out.John Koller: Well, it's absolutely not dying. We're at a point actually where the counter to that is that it's actually doing very, very well. From a gaming standpoint, I think that there's a few things that are happening. There's been a calibration amongst publishers of how to publish for the PSP. You bring up some good points that initially a lot of the games that launched were either ports or games that didn't really meet the demographic's interest, and that was as we were shifting down to that teen demo. I think that a lot of publishers were unsure about who was purchasing and who owned the PSP. We have been -- and I guess where we are now is at a point were today publishers are seeing the results of decisions made 18 months ago. Where they were saying, "You know what, maybe we'll try this or that or maybe we'll wait a little bit to see how the PSP does." The level of games that we have now are very strong on the quality side, and I think, in many ways, have kind of followed what we have been preaching here is that the key to success in publishing on the PSP is to launch larger franchise games with unique gameplay underneath. That's a non-port type strategy. That's something like a God of War or Crisis Core where it's a large brand name, it's a very good game from a quality standpoint, but it's unique. You can't play it on console, and it avoids the cannibalization that you would get from someone who may own a console and play their PSP at home, which is a common occurrence. Given that situation, many consumers were choosing one or the other, and that's not a situation that we want to put a consumer in. That's another point to be made, and then the third thing is a lot of interest in the PSN, the PlayStation Network, and the downloadable distribution there. There's some considerable resources there being placed against development in that area as well. So, I think the net of this is that over the course of the next six to twelve months, there's going to be a tremendous amount of excitement about the franchises that are coming to PSP, the quality of the games, and then also the games that are going to be easily downloaded that are very engaging but for a less expensive price. I think that those areas are really going to instigate a lot of excitement around that category.

IGN: Are we going to see stuff from these unique franchises coming to the PSP soon? I mean, it's been a very quiet first half of the year here. There are exceptions obviously -- Patapon, God of War -- but then we ran into this section where we weren't having any games released or at least not that many. Now even looking at the E3 list on IGN.com -- which granted is only what people are willing to talk about; obviously everyone has stuff under their hats they want to try and blow out at this thing -- but you figure right now our list earlier in the week had about 100 games on it and only six of them were PSP. Is that cause for concern or are we going to hear about these things soon?

John Koller: You should hear about them. I'm not sure about soon because it's up to each publisher, but we have a very good idea of what's coming. We know both first and third party and without scooping anything because it's up to each publisher what they want to announce at E3, the franchises that are being brought over to PSP or currently are being considered to be brought over to PSP are very, very strong. The gameplay that is going to come from them is excellent. I think it depends whether all of those titles are announced at E3, but I can tell you that on the first-party side here at SCEA, we see tremendous opportunity on the PSP. Our worldwide studio team is actively developing titles for that platform and we've been on a road show amongst every, major third-party publisher -- which we actually just finished last week -- and have been talking to them about really how to publish on the PSP, and the level of excitement is really palpable. You can really feel the publishers getting back into the platform if they had walked away. That's really good news across the board. I think in talking to all of them, and seeing some of the gameplay and even talking about some of the franchises that they're going to bring over, it's a good time to be a PSP owner.

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/883/883679p1.html?RSSwhen2008-06-23_154700&RSSid=883679

osgeld
June 26th, 2008, 03:35
psp isnt dying, it never lived, it started life as a expensive fragile little thing with nothing to do

now its thinner cheaper and even more fragile, cost about the same and still nothing to do

the only reason i own one today is becuase my buddies brother dropped his, and shattered it

he didnt care about it, he got a ds "because it has fun games", and gave me the psp in zip loc baggies and a shoe box

quality games there are yes, but its in a sea of crap you cant tell one from another, + dissapointment after dissapointment (mgs card game anyone, simpsons game that looks and plays like tomb raider 1?) and floods of half assed ps2 ports, i personally dont even bother looking at the psp section any more

theres just no reason to

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 04:57
I dont fully agree about that statement osgeld
I believe the psp still has alot more to offer
Monsterhunter 2G is one good example of how good a polished game could be
God of war, FF crisis core, mgs po,tekkenDR, naruto 1,2 the upcoming dissidia and KH birth by sleep..
In japan games like macross and gundam games keep coming so I dont see the psp dying in terms of 3rd party games and games from sony they are just slow
But hell boy was truly a dissapointment

What I see as dying is the psp homebrew scene it used to be buzzing with emulators and games
[e]mulator, daedalus, gpsp(curse you takka:mad:)
I am just glad dark alex is still with us

hatman101
June 26th, 2008, 04:59
O.K. I don't say much. But here it is.

Here are my thoughts...

PSP lacks emersion. That’s it!

Gamers are attracted to immersion. Game developers know it, and if they didn't before I think given the reaction Wii has had on consumers, well lets hope they get it by now...But Immersion can be delivered in a number of ways, again Nintendo has proved you don't need Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound, Just a Motion Sensor Remote Control will do just fine’s

DS at the very least, as insignificant as it may seem is interactive.

The PSP has a wide screen and virtually no sound. I say no sound because 95% of the time when I actually use the damn thing, it’s without headphones!

It offers nothing to immerse a gamer and offers no options, at all to a game developer to come up with a creative way to immerse a gamer. Absolutely nothing!

And yes while this traditional handheld game boy approach has worked in the past, gamers want something new.

Listen as crazy as it sounds. A gamer wants to be as much as possible, in the game.

The PSP has survived because of the application use and I strongly believe especially because of the homebrew community. (That why I own 2 slims and 1 fat) And I don't even care for the games????

Kudos to Sony for Slim for component out. (a step closer to immersion)

PSP would skyrocket in sales if it could offer options to both the developer and the gamer for immersion i.e.) built in Force Feedback, Louder Sound., What about that clever device from the hombrew community to add Tilt/Motion controls to Loco Roco.

And when I say louder sound, this thing should Pump like some of the cell phones out on the market right now.

Yes battery is a concern but that’s for Sony to figure out with their Lab Team.

I just come up with the solutions. :thumbup:

Immersion people….Immersion….

A pretty wide screen with no sound…that’s not immersive!

Hombrew Emulators need not be immersive. We have all already been sold on these in the past and are essentaly only ntersted in playing the damn thing because of the fond memories we have. (immersive)

Do I like PSP? Only because of the hombrew community. I wouldn't even look at the damn thing without it!

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 05:12
sony I believe you shud stop innovating and making games interactive to compete with the DS you cant beat the DS in terms of interaction and innovation
I see the psp more of a portable ps2 capable of making games that are graphically better or on par with the ps2
we need long games it doesn't mean portable=to short games it means ease of having a console at all times

I have got to dissagree with the sound part the DS doesnt have any better speakers

battery life isnt a reason you cant have a laptop running for 5 hours straight can you?

you cant compare ds with the psp! they are different why coz long battery life has always been a gameboy trade mark
graphic wise their wide a part(I own a ds not a sony fanboy)

Gameplay wise ds is top notch but psp has good games
Can monster hunter or tekken(look at gba tekken) excel in ds no it cant
but in the opposite can detective games like jake hunter and phenix wright do well on the psp they cant

ICE
June 26th, 2008, 05:24
Piracy= no games
no games= dead console.

Its getting bad folks.

Nocuddle
June 26th, 2008, 05:33
PSP was an expensive zombie... until DAX come to the rescue. It sky rocketted PSP hardware sales! Look at the chart!

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 05:35
u do realize DS has tons of piracy tools openly sold in japan and korea and lots of asian countries
Piracy doesnt hamper the console

piracy=dead is nonsense
ps2,ps1 ds anyone are they dead ps1 yes ps2 and DS no wii is pirated aswell! you dont see wii dying dont you

And wasnt it clearly stated that not everyone pirates you know
ask someone on the street with a ds or psp do they know whats custom firmware or flash cart on the ds that would ask you whats that. LOL

ICE
June 26th, 2008, 06:13
Piracy doesnt hamper the console

So the fact that far more people are pirating games rather than buying them has no effect on whether or not companies choose to waste their money developing a game for psp? I think you're far underestimating how bad piracy is for PSP.

Sure DS is bad but its not even close. It killed the Dreamcast and its killing the PSP. No one wants to waste their money making games for it. That will kill it.

EDIT: There was a thread posted here I believe on how bad piracy is on psp. Look it up.

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 06:20
yup piracy is huge in the psp but I still believe it doesnt hamper the sales(past few months psp sales is higher than ds in japan)
look up in gamefaqs how hot and many upcoming relaese are in japan
sony isnt localising all the hot tiltles

dreamcast was killed due to ps2(AGAIN I am no sony fanboy)

dreamcast came when ps1 was on the verge on converting to ps2 and at that time everyone was a sony fanboy

you do know that ps2 piracy was huge as hell and ps2 is still around alive kickin with games still in developement for it

you all do know that ds has huge crappy games compared to good games hannah montana all those disney lame ass games
do you call all those worthy tiltles they are worse than hellboy on psp I prefer slow but worthy titles like mhp2g although its jap its playable and I am a proud to own the umd till today I juz have 3 games and 2 are jap games and the other is tekken
I am not afraid to admit I pirate and I do pirate on the ds and psp are the game I pirate worth the time to dl no they arent

I plan to take up japanese so I wud be able to play all those jap games
psp sales is high in japan and I think sony is content with it

Buddy4point0
June 26th, 2008, 11:26
yup piracy is huge in the psp but I still believe it doesnt hamper the sales(past few months psp sales is higher than ds in japan)
look up in gamefaqs how hot and many upcoming relaese are in japan
sony isnt localising all the hot tiltles

dreamcast was killed due to ps2(AGAIN I am no sony fanboy)

dreamcast came when ps1 was on the verge on converting to ps2 and at that time everyone was a sony fanboy

you do know that ps2 piracy was huge as hell and ps2 is still around alive kickin with games still in developement for it

you all do know that ds has huge crappy games compared to good games hannah montana all those disney lame ass games
do you call all those worthy tiltles they are worse than hellboy on psp I prefer slow but worthy titles like mhp2g although its jap its playable and I am a proud to own the umd till today I juz have 3 games and 2 are jap games and the other is tekken
I am not afraid to admit I pirate and I do pirate on the ds and psp are the game I pirate worth the time to dl no they arent

I plan to take up japanese so I wud be able to play all those jap games
psp sales is high in japan and I think sony is content with it

Your missing it dude.
Yes, PSP hardware sales will be untouched, or even improved, by piracy. But software development and sales are strongly affected. Software sales are low because there is so much piracy.

No one wants to develop for a console that there game will mainly be stolen and barley bought. Eventually, everyone will stop developing for a system that doesn't bring as much profit as the competitors. Then there won't even be games to pirate, killing the PSP.

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 12:16
Your missing it dude.
Yes, PSP hardware sales will be untouched, or even improved, by piracy. But software development and sales are strongly affected. Software sales are low because there is so much piracy.

No one wants to develop for a console that there game will mainly be stolen and barley bought. Eventually, everyone will stop developing for a system that doesn't bring as much profit as the competitors. Then there won't even be games to pirate, killing the PSP.

I dont see why I am missing it you got a point there everyone has its an open talk

What I wud like to emphasize more is that the psp at this stage isnt gonna die or is dying
japan are getting more releases juz that there are very little E and U releases.

because ICE brought up that piracy killed the dreamcast but how about ps2 or the ps1?
I stated all this coz everyone was comparing especially ds to the psp

I did aswell but in ps2 bein on par with psp was technically proven with the number of ports and games like tekken and gow being available.

and you did say no one want to develop but you shud see upcoming jap psp releases there are tons...

Veskgar
June 26th, 2008, 17:29
I don't think its so much a piracy thing that casts a dark shadow over the PSP. I think its SONY's lost sense of direction with the PSP. Its long been touted as a portable multimedia device but it doesn't do things like audio/video playback particularly well. The internet browser isn't very convenient. It was a joke in the earlier firmwares but its getting better. But now, 3 1/2 years later to not have a set course of action is beyond ridiculous.

The PSP has the muscle under the hood to long be dominant in the portable gaming market. But it hasn't been utilized as well as it could have been.

Why isn't there a motion (tilt) sensor, light sensor, rumble stick add on, etc. etc. etc. ??? As the DS Lite and Wii clearly show, people like that sort of thing even if they have to plug something extra and external into their unit.

SONY also needs to create some sort of PSP network where anyone connected to WiFi can log in and have access to an XBOX Live sort of network or something similar.

Regarding the WiFi SONY has given us things like being able to remotely access our PS3 while being anywhere in the world.... but WTF? How many people actually do that or even have a use for that? Again, no sense of direction and wasted opportunities.

Maybe if they didn't waste 2+ years releasing minor firmware updates every other week to try and block homebrew and force people to upgrade, they could have instead focused on other things firmware related.

Its only a matter of time now before Microsoft, Nintendo, etc. release a new and improved portable gaming device. If SONY wants to maintain its grip they should start REALLY soon with unveiling some cool stuff and plans for the PSP.

osgeld
June 26th, 2008, 20:40
I dont fully agree about that statement osgeld
I believe the psp still has alot more to offer
Monsterhunter 2G is one good example of how good a polished game could be
God of war, FF crisis core, mgs po,tekkenDR, naruto 1,2 the upcoming dissidia and KH birth by sleep..
In japan games like macross and gundam games keep coming so I dont see the psp dying in terms of 3rd party games and games from sony they are just slow
But hell boy was truly a dissapointment

What I see as dying is the psp homebrew scene it used to be buzzing with emulators and games
[e]mulator, daedalus, gpsp(curse you takka:mad:)
I am just glad dark alex is still with us

see thats the problem, and why i dont bother looking any more, you have what 8 "now" games listed, and theres what 100+ games on the market thats a >90% crap factor why bother looking

i dont like wasting 30-40-50$