PDA

View Full Version : Team M33 To Ditch 1.50 Firmware Support

wraggster
June 25th, 2008, 21:05
Alek (http://alek.dark-alex.org/index.php?itemid=143) one of Dark Alexs inner circle posted this news:

Bye bye, 1.50!

Due to the almost sure probability to abandon 1.50 kernel on future releases 'cause of better compatibility and security on 3.xx/4.xx, some new devs were asking me how to port their knowledges to 3.xx kernel, and of course also their own apps.

I did all of them redirect to this post on ps2dev, a little tuto from CpuWhiz that explains the way to do so :)

Even though changing it to 4.xx kernel it will change some things on this tuto, it's a very easy and direct way of doing this process. Hope it helps, credits go for the one who made it.

But anyway, does this change to superior kernels is necessary? Indeed it is. It allows a greater range of thinks that can be done, plus solving tons of problems on 1.5 kernels. Therefore, having the oportunity to use this ones with the actual cfws, why not to do so? Open to debate.

Does the loss of 1.50 support bother you ?

Saracchini
June 25th, 2008, 21:12
Yes, it bother me...
Except if someone port PCEP to kernel 3.xx.

imnotgerman
June 25th, 2008, 21:21
this really bothers me. I don't know how to use any other kernel. how do you run programs on 3.xx 4.xx kernel? i have been using the k xploit method since 2.0. never had any problems. anyone got any suggestions?

jurkevicz
June 25th, 2008, 21:31
yeah, just update your firmware with a CFW from DAX.

Tets
June 25th, 2008, 21:36
I think it would be a good decision to drop the 1.50 kernel. All it's really used for now is homebrew that has been abandoned by its programmers. If you're that concerned about still using 1.50 homebrew, you can either refrain from updating to the latest custom firmware or, better yet, use Time Machine.

LilSwish722
June 25th, 2008, 21:51
This does bother me. All my favorite homebrews are 1.50

newb_fo_life
June 25th, 2008, 22:30
I think developers will now concentrate on 4.xx homebrew

Honestly I dont care coz of i got 2 psps but if i only had one I would Stick with 3.xx

warsaw
June 25th, 2008, 22:34
If the latter firmwares provide more options for developers then it really should be embraced. Let's face it, the PSP is getting stale - especially on the homebrew front - and anything that helps inject a little more life into this unit is worth the investment of time.

Just like we all didn't sit on Windows 95 forever, it's time to move on and explore the possibilities the latter firmwares have on offer.

I'm quite happy to take it on face value that if the top end devs for the homebrew scene feel there's more to be gained by updating, then so be it.

Devs can now spend time porting the older 1.5 kernal based brews to the new format, a perfect way for them to get a feel for the newer environments!

Baboon
June 25th, 2008, 22:37
Yes, it bother me...
Except if someone port PCEP to kernel 3.xx.

I agree. This is one emu that won't be updated (theres no source about) so it's never gonna work and be ported to 3xx. :(

I'm not really bothered with any new games on the psp so maybe for the first time I wont bother updating firmware seeing as the 1.5 is being dropped. :(

Safari Al
June 25th, 2008, 22:43
Why wouldn't this bother someone? There are far too many applications that require the 1.50 kernel. Most of which do not have a released source code, and therefore will become dead. I support the porting of homebrew games, but completely removing 1.50 kernel will really damage the scene.

Buddy4point0
June 25th, 2008, 23:13
1.5 is teh best kernel there is...

Harshboy
June 25th, 2008, 23:18
Doesn't bother me since I traded my PSP for an iPod Touch 2 weeks ago.

Besides, most emulators had 3.XX versions and that is what most people use the PSP for...there shouldn't be any problem.

onetwentyeight
June 25th, 2008, 23:27
All it's really used for now is homebrew that has been abandoned by its programmers.

precisely why we need to keep it or else i (and countless others) cannot use that software anymore.

pspmodel1001
June 25th, 2008, 23:27
I praticly giving up on 1.50. It bothers my if I want to play my N64.

juiceface
June 25th, 2008, 23:31
Does the loss of 1.50 support bother you ?

Yes

noname1
June 25th, 2008, 23:45
I don't mind there's no more 1.5 support because i have a psp slim and it's almost impossible to run 1.5 on my psp slim.

wraggster
June 25th, 2008, 23:58
its an issue that really concerns those with phat psps, i do worry that the whole community loses out in the long run of what was the golden era of the PSP Scene, yes Dark Alexs firmware are great and easily the best out there but to lose 1.50 support will stop many being able to try the many fantastic releases at the time when the PSP scene was releasing homebrew at a rate thats never been repeasted.

Im talking up to 20 releases a day at that time and it was madness :)

AdamRav
June 26th, 2008, 00:02
I dont mind really

as long as we still got CFW its all good

myuusmeow
June 26th, 2008, 00:05
I do not mind one bit. I have a Slim, and the only 1.50 homebrew I wanted to use was the Duke3d port, and it worked with eLoader, and now has an even better Slim port.

ojdon
June 26th, 2008, 00:07
NOOOO! WHY!? Just why drop the 1.5 Kernal? Is there any point!? I still use a LOT of 1.50 apps, more than any other FW.

mike_jmg
June 26th, 2008, 00:10
Guess I bought a slim at the right time

Even so it bothers me, cause back in the days (2 years ago lol) 1.5 kernel was the best thing that happened to me
And the snes9x emu is not quite well ported to the 3.XX kernel yet. the port of snes9x 4.2me to the slim is slightly slower than the one for 1.5 kernel, but I'll live (also, I'm not doing all the time machine hassle for a single app :p)

The new test versions are faster but the emu always dies on me while I'm trying to configure the settings or it wont access menu after a couple of changes.

That's my main concern, guess it's not that bad, at least for me, bye bye 1.5 kernel you served us well, I'll miss you

burrito
June 26th, 2008, 00:14
Someone should make a GUI program (for windows) to convert 1.50 eboots to 3.xx eboots.

urherenow
June 26th, 2008, 00:18
1 question: Does a 3.x version of irshell actually use the remote control (IR) features? That is the only thing that would keep me from updating my phat.

My Slim will be updated in a heartbeat though!

noname1
June 26th, 2008, 00:19
I dont mind really

as long as we still got CFW its all good

OMG no CFW then we have to use modchips:(

andwhyisit
June 26th, 2008, 00:36
No 1.50? Well this sucks. :(

Time to start throwing away homebrew. :( :(

osgeld
June 26th, 2008, 01:07
1 question: Does a 3.x version of irshell actually use the remote control (IR) features? That is the only thing that would keep me from updating my phat.

it works just fine

but! offically the latest firmware supported is 3.80, everything else has been patched to allow it to run on newer firmwares

so if you go out and upgrade to 4.00 m33 i dunno if it will work out of the "box"

NyghtcrawleR
June 26th, 2008, 01:13
No 1.50 kernel support is a bad day for psp homebrews. I understand the idea of supporting the newer stuff but not everything is ported over nor will it. A shame really if this ends up true.

turnerl
June 26th, 2008, 01:24
I don't understand why everyones worried the only emulator I know that doesn't support 3.x is the apple II. Every other system is available on 3.x or through eLoader there is a fantastic PCE emulator on 3.x

alanparker05
June 26th, 2008, 01:34
It is a shame but it does leave the door open for another developer to create cfw with the 1.50 kernel hopefully dax will share his source code and allow it to be modified for 1.50 because a lot of us only trust m33 firmware

andwhyisit
June 26th, 2008, 01:40
I don't understand why everyones worried the only emulator I know that doesn't support 3.x is the apple II.

There is more homebrew out there than just emulators. I am hoping that Ozone has a 3.xx version. Oh this is so utterly screwed up. *bangs head against desk*

Oh well. Time to try out this eloader app. *bangs head against desk again*

Tets
June 26th, 2008, 02:13
Again people, Time Machine, it works great. If you've got custom firmware, you either have pandora's battery already or are capable of making it, so you can use Time Machine. Moreover, this has not been confirmed, despite the misleading headline. Finally, stop with the "oh no loss of 1.50 will be the death of the scene" nonsense. I don't know how any of you can justify saying that, because it's simply not true. Anyone who is currently developing for custom firmware is still going to be doing so whether 1.50 is there or not.

jedikevin20
June 26th, 2008, 04:13
Pretty sad day to here even talks that 1.5 kernel is gone. Loved it. Guess i'll have to try to hunt down all the emulators that were redone on non 1.50 kernel. Its a shame though. The reasoning behind it still doesn't stick in my head. Feels more like, "I don't wanna make it" compared to, "its better without". Shame shame but as i'm prob gonna need newest firmware for force unleashed when it releases, I guess i;m force to go along with this communist mentality of no 1.50 kernel. You will def be missed. Feels like now i'm losing part of my psp lol

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 04:26
This upsets me greatly. Almost every homebrew app I have is on 1.50, like all of my emulators, rRootage, Nethack, Trigonometry Wars, and others. Many of the best emus are dead(ish) now, like nesterj, snes9xtyl, gpsp, and RIN. Gutting 1.50 is like gutting a huge portion of psp history, and I am not familiar with Time Machine, but I really want those save states we were told about...

imnotgerman
June 26th, 2008, 04:28
yeah, just update your firmware with a CFW from DAX.

I do have a CFW. I have 3.95 m33.

turnerl
June 26th, 2008, 04:30
This upsets me greatly. Almost every homebrew app I have is on 1.50, like all of my emulators, rRootage, Nethack, Trionometry Wars, and others. Many of the best emus are dead(ish) now, like nesterj, snes9xtyl, gpsp, and RIN. Gutting 1.50 is like gutting a huge portion of psp history, and I am not familiar with Time Machine, but I really want those save states we were told about...

Again All system emulators are available on 3.XX and eLoader with the exception of the Apple2 emulator.

NO STRESS!

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 04:40
What is eloader? Does it work at the same speed as the 1.50 kernel? Last but not least, is it possible to simply convert the old eboots into the newer ones? And yes I am dead serious. I love playing the Mother series and rRootage on my psp.

If I use dc5 to make a pandora battery, will the battery function as a normal battery at the same time? If no, then how do I operate Time Machine without being glued to a charger?

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 05:22
I do have a CFW. I have 3.95 m33.

LOL you mean 3.95 gen do you?

This is no big deal 1.5 is long dead time machine could fix all these problems

Utopia is sumtim all of you guys should look forward to..

What is eloader? Does it work at the same speed as the 1.50 kernel? Last but not least, is it possible to simply convert the old eboots into the newer ones? And yes I am dead serious. I love playing the Mother series and rRootage on my psp.

If I use dc5 to make a pandora battery, will the battery function as a normal battery at the same time? If no, then how do I operate Time Machine without being glued to a charger?

use boosters alternate ipl which lets you boot psp normally and hold L-trigger to launch pandora...

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 05:27
LOL you mean 3.95 gen do you?

This is no big deal 1.5 is long dead time machine could fix all these problems

Utopia is sumtim all of you guys should look forward to..

Why Utopia? Sounds like Linux to me, no offense. Perhaps someone could better explain it to me.

Where do I get this alternate ipl? Also, how do I use it?

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 05:31
Why Utopia? Sounds like Linux to me, no offense. Perhaps someone could better explain it to me.

you shud head to lan.st they are discussing it there
yup its like window compared to linux as in psp is to utopia

what I read so far its like a a shell less firmware mainly to boot hombrews with out sony file in it
somewhat a truly custom firmware its said to be text based with no shell but devs are free to make one the utopia team is juz making the base which is utopia

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 05:42
So, about the ipl? Also, would there be a way for Time Machine to load Utopia in the future?

tuta
June 26th, 2008, 05:54
So, about the ipl? Also, would there be a way for Time Machine to load Utopia in the future?

It hasnt been discussed yet as to how the utopia wud take place its still in developement its jus that utopia has been kept in the dark and math has juz shed some light on this math and dax are well known so it isnt a hoax

ipl get boosters ipl lol I said it clearly previusly search google or go to qj downloads

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 06:01
Thank you. Man, where i am at, its 1:00 am. After I get the ipl, I'm sleeping....

myuusmeow
June 26th, 2008, 06:17
This upsets me greatly. Almost every homebrew app I have is on 1.50, like all of my emulators, rRootage, Nethack, Trigonometry Wars, and others. Many of the best emus are dead(ish) now, like nesterj, snes9xtyl, gpsp, and RIN. Gutting 1.50 is like gutting a huge portion of psp history, and I am not familiar with Time Machine, but I really want those save states we were told about...
I personally don't care/don't know about the first few. EDIT: Isn't Powder a Nethack clone?
NesterJ - 3.xx port
SNES9xtyl - 3.xx port
gpSP - Use Takka's unofficial for 3.xx port
RIN - Use Masterboy as a GB/C emulator on 3.xx

Aryn
June 26th, 2008, 07:10
This is not really that big of a deal, considering that there is still the ELoader program. I have tried it on almost every custom firmware and noticed that it worked equally well irregardless of the firmware version.

The only app that I would use which only works on 1.50 is Time Baby, and there are alternatives to it already. There is about a 90% to 95% compatibility while using ELoader, and if using this program is too much of a bother to use then a developer could always use code from ELoader to create a "quick and dirty" way to launch 1.50 homebrew (eg. place the game in a specific sub directory and change the code in ELoader to launch what is in that directory instead of loading the menu, I am sure that the people who abandoned development on this program would not mind).

The only thing that would take a major hit by not using the 1.50 kernal is LUA Player, and almost every single game in LUA Player is mediocre compared to other homebrew titles (although I would like to see a 3.xx version of Galactic Breakout).

ab88
June 26th, 2008, 09:16
The only thing that would take a major hit by not using the 1.50 kernal is LUA Player, and almost every single game in LUA Player is mediocre compared to other homebrew titles (although I would like to see a 3.xx version of Galactic Breakout).

HM works on 3.xx

I also agree with you about it not being a big deal. People are seriously talking out of their ass in this thread, it's just proof of how ignorant the scene has gotten.

taking away 1.5 is not taking away all those "1.5" apps as many believe. Much of those homebrews work with a simple eboot joining in PSP brew. The only ones having the most problems would be the ones calling functions that can cause trouble (ME function, etc)

Many offer "proof" of all the emulators that would be lost. As mentioned above by that other guy there are alternatives already.
N64, seriously? the 1.0 eboot version(Basically 1.5, joined in pspbrew) has worked on 2.xx and 3.xx kernels from R-1 to R-13 or whatever the newest release is.

So, people if you are going to be complaining to M33 please make sure you are not making an ass of yourself and verify what you say. 1.5 is dead it has been dying in the last year or so, get over it. Some stuff will not work and that's just life.

Joe88
June 26th, 2008, 09:48
also long as all the home brew that need 1.50 kernal still work and that the double folders for homwbrew still work then I have no problem...

Codaz
June 26th, 2008, 14:01
What is everyone whining. You can also use an old Devhook if you want 1.50.

Devhook still works perfectly. Or use Eloader or Time Machine.

solidsnake_8608
June 26th, 2008, 15:19
Wasn't the point of CFW to run 1.5 kernal for 90% of homebrew? What's the point of even having a CFW that doesn't run the kernal that nearly all homebrew needs to run?

Cloudhunter
June 26th, 2008, 15:27
Time machine works wonders. If you haven't already tried it, I recommend you do so.

Also, there once was a time when 90% of homebrew were 1.50 - but now, that is no longer the case. Even so, many 1.00 eboots work, and for the ones that don't, Time machine will. I've tried the 1.50 - 3.40 mix on my psp slim and it works perfectly.

No sense crying when the functionality can be replicated.

Cloudy

donutman
June 26th, 2008, 16:34
Finally, stop with the "oh no loss of 1.50 will be the death of the scene" nonsense. I don't know how any of you can justify saying that, because it's simply not true. Anyone who is currently developing for custom firmware is still going to be doing so whether 1.50 is there or not.

i dont think anyone said its the death of the scene they said it would greatly DAMAGE the scene and it will damage it greatly since the only reason Dark AleX started making cfw was to be able to play ur homebrew and the newest released psp games without having to downgrade ur psp

anyway if Dark AleX and team m33 are doing it they have a reason to do it whether good or bad and it does bother me since 1.5 is one of the only reasons i bought my psp and will always b one of the greatest firmwares ever

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 16:48
Okay, I can't get Time Machine or boosters ipl to work. Boosters ipl worked once for me. Then I installed the Time Machine thing, and now it doesn't work. Could somebody give me a clearer explanaton as to how to operate Time Machine and explain to me simply how I get both to work with one battery?

Veskgar
June 26th, 2008, 16:52
Its not a big deal for me. I think Homebrew and CFW needs to evolve. All emulators work fine on the newer kernels if you know what you are doing. Sure there may be 1 or 2 apps that need to be ported over to the newer kernels but that may be done in time.

If nothing else, this discussion has made this thread 6 pages long. That doesn't happen to much anymore regarding PSP homebrew news.

I still believe PSP homebrew has a long way to go and even more potential. I hope its not given up on.

Tets
June 26th, 2008, 16:58
donutman, I really don't get your reasoning. From what I've pieced together, you're telling me that dropping 1.50 will damage the scene because Dark Alex started making custom firmware so you wouldn't need to downgrade to 1.50? Never mind the fact that when he started out the only way to even get CFW installed was to downgrade to 1.50 first, none of what you said makes any sense at all. If anything it seems like an argument FOR dropping the 1.50 kernel.

And to anyone still claiming that most homebrew is still coded for 1.50, why not try actually having a look at the recent releases. They're either 3.xx exclusive or both. Nothing is going to change if 1.50 is dropped by Team M33. Like I already said, anyone developing for the PSP is still going to be doing so afterward, and nobody is holding you at gunpoint to upgrade. And if you really want to, you still have Time Machine to fall back on!

cdtje
June 26th, 2008, 17:26
that they;re dumping the old 1.5 kernel doesn't mater for the hombrew your using now
It just emans future releases wont have the support for it
But you can still Use your old kernel if you really want to
Most hombrew will be made Compatible anyways

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 19:12
In response to these mentions about 3.xx ports, soebody said there was one for Snes9xtyl. Yes there is one, but it is of poorer quality (even says so on its own site) than the 1.50 kernel Snes9xtyl me.

And people who say most homebrew will be made compatible, who do you presume will do this. Some homebrew such as the psp port of rRootage haven't been updated for 2 years, so I don't think that the devs are all going to magically come back.

donutman
June 26th, 2008, 19:27
donutman, I really don't get your reasoning. From what I've pieced together, you're telling me that dropping 1.50 will damage the scene because Dark Alex started making custom firmware so you wouldn't need to downgrade to 1.50? Never mind the fact that when he started out the only way to even get CFW installed was to downgrade to 1.50 first, none of what you said makes any sense at all. If anything it seems like an argument FOR dropping the 1.50 kernel.

And to anyone still claiming that most homebrew is still coded for 1.50, why not try actually having a look at the recent releases. They're either 3.xx exclusive or both. Nothing is going to change if 1.50 is dropped by Team M33. Like I already said, anyone developing for the PSP is still going to be doing so afterward, and nobody is holding you at gunpoint to upgrade. And if you really want to, you still have Time Machine to fall back on!

yes i know u had to downgrade to 1.5 before u got into the cfw but after that u were good u didnt have to downgrade again and again just to play hombrew and i dont really mind it being dropped i just know that its been developed on for a long time its a shame if it goes to waste! since porting over homebrew to higher firmwares sometims results results in quality loss. and u have a point on the people developing will continue to do so but what im saying is that 1.5 shouldnt be dropped becuz of whats out there for. and time machine does work but not to well since if u go into sleep mode or standby it has a chance of crashing and it doesnt look like an update on it will be made anytime soon

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 19:49
About Time Machine crashing in standby, everything in 3.90 M33-3 does that in 1.50 kernel

Cloudhunter
June 26th, 2008, 19:59
In response to these mentions about 3.xx ports, soebody said there was one for Snes9xtyl. Yes there is one, but it is of poorer quality (even says so on its own site) than the 1.50 kernel Snes9xtyl me.

Actually, the latest ports to 3.xx are enhanced also better than the 1.50 version.

And TimeMachine solves all - It is incredibly convenient to use, even for slim users.

Cloudy

BloodLust8
June 26th, 2008, 20:04
The only thing that will bother me is the los of my xvid player as no one been able todo a proper xvid player for non 1.5. Other wise it can be a good thing to leave 1.5 behind.

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 20:10
Okay, I''ve used this guide to install Time Machine and everything: http://forums.qj.net/archive/index.php/t-138307.html

If I revert my battery back to normal, will Time Machine still work?

If no, then from the end of that guide, EXACTLY how do I go about making ONE battery work normally and with Time Machine?

Veskgar
June 26th, 2008, 20:44
Actually, the latest ports to 3.xx are enhanced also better than the 1.50 version.

And TimeMachine solves all - It is incredibly convenient to use, even for slim users.

Cloudy

Yes, you are correct. I can't believe so many people don't know about or don't use the better version of emulators. Especially an SNES emulator. The 3.xx SNES Emu I use on my Slim is way better than the 1.50 ME version.

And then there are those people that use Takka's UNOFFICIAL gpSP because they think the release by Exophase doesn't work on 3.xx.

donutman
June 26th, 2008, 20:52
About Time Machine crashing in standby, everything in 3.90 M33-3 does that in 1.50 kernel

o does it?
im on 3.80 m33-5 i didnt know that but still im not argueing for or against it im just saying it might not b a good idea to leave it behind. i dont mind becuz i only use pops on my psp so i really dont care for 1.5

donutman
June 26th, 2008, 20:55
Okay, I''ve used this guide to install Time Machine and everything: http://forums.qj.net/archive/index.php/t-138307.html

If I revert my battery back to normal, will Time Machine still work?

If no, then from the end of that guide, EXACTLY how do I go about making ONE battery work normally and with Time Machine?

try boosters ipl thingy i herd it makes ur battery work like normanl and if u hold the L trigger on boot up it will start the other thing(time machine)

that1guywiththeface
June 26th, 2008, 20:58
Yes, you are correct. I can't believe so many people don't know about or don't use the better version of emulators. Especially an SNES emulator. The 3.xx SNES Emu I use on my Slim is way better than the 1.50 ME version.

And then there are those people that use Takka's UNOFFICIAL gpSP because they think the release by Exophase doesn't work on 3.xx.

Couple things:

1.) Which Snes emu do you use? Does it support the use of txt files for faq's?

2.) I don't know if it effects quality or not, but I use a phat psp.

BTW, I got my battery and Time Machine working :)
Thanks for the help guys!

V3N0M
June 27th, 2008, 09:16
Yeah I've been out of the scene for a while but I really should get all my stuff updated. I think its good they are going to focus on newer kernels because now and days simplicity can be your best friend.

Sonicboy 101
June 27th, 2008, 10:32
I don't really care what kernal I use. As long as it all works out in the end, I'm happy. :)

kjetil1991
June 27th, 2008, 13:34
changing kernls is maybe a good idea but yeah a lot of homebrew is going to die ;(

Broadus
June 27th, 2008, 23:13
Uh, what does that mean for all the 1.5 homebrew?

Cloudhunter
June 28th, 2008, 01:09
It means that the ones that can't be unkxploited to run on m33 can still be ran using Time Machine.

Cloudy

Qmark
June 28th, 2008, 02:31
So do we have a decent list of what breaks?
I really really don't want this to be another situation where I don't upgrade my fw for about a year, and miss out on games that want some-odd high-number fw, again, only to have another game-buying orgy when another miracle occurs.

MicroNut
June 28th, 2008, 04:25
I wont miss it.

jamotto
June 28th, 2008, 06:47
Perhaps this will be incentive to port the remaining homebrew that currently does not work without 1.5. I hope at some point Ruka's NesterJ v1.20 is ported over as well as Exophase's gpSP.

that1guywiththeface
June 28th, 2008, 19:58
2 things: One, the kernel add-on is being made, the headlines are wrong.

Two, isn't NesterJ v1.20 an unstable beta?

jamotto
June 28th, 2008, 23:42
Two, isn't NesterJ v1.20 an unstable beta?

The actual emulator was as stable as the previous version, what this version added though was ad-hoc multi-player which was an unstable beta feature, when it worked it worked well.

drock82
June 29th, 2008, 17:40
almost all of my homebrew works on the newer firmware

andwhyisit
June 30th, 2008, 05:00
2 things: One, the kernel add-on is being made, the headlines are wrong.
You understand that "in the future" does not exactly mean "in the next firmware release", right?