PDA

View Full Version : 2K taps up Havok physics engine for Wii

Shrygue
June 27th, 2008, 20:36
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191838)

Developer and publisher 2K Games has signed up physics program Havok for use in a number of games for Wii.

The physics system, which has been used in Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, BioShock and Oblivion, will first be used in, uh, Carnival Games: Mini-Golf.

Okay, so it's not an obvious choice but does make sense. Golf balls have to know when gravity dictates they should fall, after all.

Other titles are yet to be confirmed, leading us to believe there's a few projects 2K hasn't told us about yet.

We just hope they use the highly complex physics system for a highly complex game, instead of just applying it to party games.

vicious1988
June 27th, 2008, 21:04
OMFG, end that company. NO MORE SHIT GAMES FOR THE WII!!!!

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/249/reviews/939414_20070907_embed001.jpg

I don't wanna see Creepy McRapeface in my golf games.

RevVS
June 28th, 2008, 00:32
Okay, it may sound like a stupid use for an advanced engine...

*****BUT*****

First game out of the gate, it may not be such a bad idea for them as a company even if it is destined for the discount bin. After all, if it is the first time they've used it, they are going to have to kick and tweak it R&D-style to figure out what it is they have and what they can really do with it on the Wii. And rather than just play with it, if they have a goal, even a small one like mini-golf, they will at least have made something and had a chance to recoup some of that R&D money...

*** SO I THINK ****

Bigger things are yet to come. This is just the baby step before the leap. Kinda like "Stretch Panic". Not a great game but a real-world test of a new implementation before bigger things.

vicious1988
June 28th, 2008, 00:59
Don't get me wrong, I like to investigate something before I implement it too. But if you're gonna make a shitty game make it for a console that needs more of them (360). The Wii, DS, and PS3 have plenty for people who can't do research to blow $40 on.

Or at least release it as WiiWare if you absolutely have to create a shitty motion sensitive control scheme.