PDA

View Full Version : DS Threatens To Make Textbooks Obsolete At Tokyo Girls School

wraggster
June 28th, 2008, 01:23
Ever conscious of educating today's youth, Nintendo has been providing DS systems to an all-girls school in Tokyo. The AP got their reporter into one classroom full of "giggly" seventh-graders to determine if any learning was going on.

In the process, the AP determined the favorite game of one 12-year-old:

Like many other Japanese youngsters, she has the DS at home and plays DS games like "Mario Kart" and "Animal Crossing." But she insisted her favorite was her English class software

It was only a couple of years ago that I went to a high school in Chicago to watch students try to learn from Civilization III. Putting each student at a desktop computer seemed to make communication hard. I wonder if the DS is any better a replacement for a textbook.

Curious detail about this story #1: Nintendo is providing 40 DSes to a classroom of 32.
Curious detail about this story #2: English Training for best game?

http://kotaku.com/5020233/ds-threatens-to-make-textbooks-obsolete-at-tokyo-girls-school

fdtoonsman
June 29th, 2008, 00:55
Cool, it's interesting how video games are slowly becoming education tools. Pretty soon, we'll all be doing our homework on DS's, and our teachers will assign us to do brain age daily! XD

azn_tomato
June 29th, 2008, 01:21
Ha, i think i'd say i loved school too if i got a free DS

Shadowblind
June 29th, 2008, 02:35
Scary...but in the way that I wish it would happen to my school :(

masterchief929
June 29th, 2008, 12:46
iwould not like staring at a ds screen all day....

wiggy fuzz
June 29th, 2008, 21:20
i kinda think it's creepy - i fear my ds has a built in webcam sometimes '>.>

fg-54
June 29th, 2008, 21:40
i kinda think it's creepy - i fear my ds has a built in webcam sometimes '>.>

LOL! what would be the use of THAT? so nintendo can see who is playing their games?

wiggy fuzz
June 29th, 2008, 21:46
i have good reason to be paranoid - i got pantsed today and i expect to see dozens of youtube videos of it, too...

some_guy_named_matt
June 30th, 2008, 07:53
my school experimented for about five or six years with laptops. most students [cough] found ways to avoid the boring lectures in favor of other forms of learning...

...if halo or an NES emulator is considered learning.
[Matt]

wiggy fuzz
June 30th, 2008, 08:22
my school experimented for about five or six years with laptops. most students [cough] found ways to avoid the boring lectures in favor of other forms of learning...

...if halo or an NES emulator is considered learning.
[Matt]

:rofl: memories... my secondary school brought in a few cheapo dell laptops. so naturally i copied grand theft auto vice city onto any laptop i borrowed (it managed to run on them, too)

anyway, didn't a UK school do something like this? replace early morning maths with ds brain training