PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Holds off on Wii DVD

wraggster
June 28th, 2008, 15:48
Nintendo's planned DVD-ready Wii system appears to be on hold at the moment. The morning edition of the Nihon Keizai Shimbun reports today that at a stock holder meeting on the 27th, company president Satoru Iwata said of the device, "With supply constraints [of the Wii] continuing worldwide, the priority is on the current model."

This updated Wii system has been mentioned by Nintendo before only in vague terms. The firm originally suggested a release date of some time last year.

Nikkei also reports that at the same stock holder meeting, Nintendo revealed plans for a retail release of the DS's 1seg tuner peripheral this July. The device, which allows Japanese DS users to view digital television broadcasts, is currently being sold exclusively online.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/885/885116p1.html

agenericperson
June 29th, 2008, 00:37
I bet it will have a hard drive or more flash memory. Well, whenever it is that they get around to it.

firedragon_jing
June 29th, 2008, 02:12
I don't see why Nintendo needs to release a upgraded Wii just to play DVDs, the Wii plays DVDs for it's games, a simple firmware upgrade is all that should be needed to allow licensed DVD movie playback.

But the way one thing is phrased here, "DVD-ready Wii", leads me to think new Wiis already packed with the upgrade and channel. At least this is what I hope for. Hopefully they will also expand SD card usage to help solve some memory limitation.

masterchief929
June 29th, 2008, 17:14
they would just release a wii-dvd system for extra cash to play with.

DPyro
June 29th, 2008, 19:24
'Now doubles as a DVD player' Way to get with the times Nintendo :rolleyes:

wiggy fuzz
June 29th, 2008, 19:52
it'll be a high def ready wii console with component, twin hdmi ports, DVI, display port, packing a pair of ati hd4870's and 3 amd opteron quad core processors...

*wiggy fuzz wakes up*

masterchief929
June 29th, 2008, 19:56
listen to wiggy fuzz ninty! we want more powerful features!!!

Joel92
June 30th, 2008, 17:10
The more powerful the more costly.

The more costly the less of a hit Nintendo Wii will be.