PDA

View Full Version : cQuake 28/06/08 Released - Quake for DS

wraggster
June 28th, 2008, 22:24
elhobbs has released a new port of Quake for the DS, heres the original release info:

A port of id softwares Quake 1 to the Nintendo DS. The main goal of this project is to drastically reduce the memory requiremments needed to play quake on the DS.

you can check it out at:
http://code.google.com/p/cquake/

6/28/08 changes
################################################
There are now two nds files. cquake.nds for single player and cquake_mp.nds for multi-player.

The screens can be swapped to put the 3d view on the top screen - it is on the options menu.

touch screen support has been added - thanks to silent_code (I took the code from his shadow demo for the ds).

the HUD is visible. There is an option to adjust the HUD transparancy on the options menu.

I fixed a bug in the status bar code that would cause the game to crash if the health went negative.

I tried to make the keyboard a little better.

cquake will now look for a file named cquake.ini in the root directory of your flash card. This file can be used to pass command line parameters to cquake. It is a single line (without carriage returns) up to 255 characters. A sample has been provided. cquake_mp.nds will look for a file named cquake_mp.ini in the root directory of your flash card.

You can now put the quake directory in a non root folder. To put quake in a sub folder at the path /games/quake you would need to modify the cquake.ini and cquake_mp.ini files to change "-basedir /" to read "-basedir /games/quake". Then the id1 directory would need to be moved to /games/quake/id1

I have also added an option to the ini file to have cquake show a menu of mod directories to choose from upon startup. I have turned this on in the sample ini files. It can be turned off by removing "-listgame" from the ini files.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU REALLY NEED TO READ THIS PART
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in order to increase the read speeds while pulling data from the flash card the libfat library is bypassed. In order for this to work correctly it is required that the pack files be completely defragmented. If the files are not defragmented the game will crash. If you do not already know how to do this then you will need to refer to the documentation for your operating system.

You will probably need to adjust the gamma settings as by default the colors can be very dark. This can be done through the console or through the menu.

The keyboard implementation in this version is a little better - just barely.

Eric Hobbs

Download and give feedback via comments

masterchief929
June 28th, 2008, 23:47
so... how do i refer to my systems documentation?

trugamer
June 29th, 2008, 08:58
To defragment on Windows XP simply go to my computer, right click the storage device and select properties. Then go to the tools tab and select defragment now, the rest is obvious.

To check your systems documentation go to help and support in the start menu. This is how I get to it on Windows XP Professional SP2.

masterchief929
June 29th, 2008, 12:13
ok, thanks!

MrSkiz
June 29th, 2008, 14:56
OK, now this release really kicks ass ! Seems there's a little more fps, and still this great lightmap rendering.

I've figured out the texture-less effect : by setting the brightness slider to the right, it's not the screen that is brighter but it's like if the textures are semi-transparently hidden.

I didn't have the time to test the multiplayer, but I'll give feedback as soon as I will be able to multiplay.

Keep up the good work ! What's your next objectives about this project ?

Sir_Voe
June 29th, 2008, 15:09
To make the game brighter, use the console command r_ambient 60. the "60" is my personal preferance, but you can set it anywhere from 1-200. It really helps in some of those dark corridors, and you don't get the faded texture effect the brightness slider causes.

MrSkiz
June 29th, 2008, 16:17
Thanks Sir_Voe !

About cquakeds' mod compatibility, any advice of few interesting mods which can improve fps (cartoon rendering), or simply fun to play (solo or multi)

About evolutions for this homebrew, here some :
- Jump with double tap on touchscreen (like MPH)
- A row of icons for switching guns at the bottom of the touchscreen
- Secret/enemy counts status