PDA

View Full Version : Fun Factoid: Zelda Dev Team is 2 to 5x as Large as Wii Fit's

wraggster
June 29th, 2008, 09:10
That's one of the tidbits coming out of a 90 minute interview Shigeru Miyamoto did with Wired, in which he expounds at great length on Wii Fit and to other degrees on subjects such as the Wii's graphical capabilities, competitor imitation of the Wiimote, and other matters. Here's an interesting excerpt:

Miyamoto: I think that the understanding of the Wii remote technology has certainly proliferated to developers, and their understanding of how it works is now very strong. But, I think that in terms of developing games for the Wii remote, it's really more about the focus of the team and how thoroughly they consider the user interface and the end experience for the consumer in terms of how intuitive that is and how easy it is to use. And, at this point, I think it's just difficult for me to say how many teams that are really focused on that experience ae out there and are working on games.

In other words, shovelware, by its nature, doesn't fully employ the capabilities of Nintendo's unique controller. Or any, controller, really.

Was that too harsh? I need to go back and watch "I Love the World" again. In all fairness, Miyamoto covers a ton of ground in this talk, including how his approach to designing Donkey Kong carries forward to game design today. Check it out.

http://kotaku.com/5020543/fun-factoid-zelda-dev-team-is-2-to-5x-as-large-as-wii-fits

masterchief929
June 29th, 2008, 19:51
i hope they announce a new zelda game soon.(hint for ninty: e3)

alienanthropologist
June 29th, 2008, 23:11
Yes the article says that the dev team that makes Zelda games has betweenn 50 and 100 people (as opposed to 20 people making Wii fit)... it does not say, however, that this team is currently working on a Zelda title.

My fingers are still crossed for an annoucement on this matter at E3. Let us hope.

In an unrelated matter:
20 people made Wii Fit??? WTF?
Seriously. Ok, I know Wii Fit isn't a complicated game, but I'm just shocked that the product of the work of 20 people has resulted in nearly 5 million sales of a product that's not that cheap really.

Wow, Nintendo does know how to make good money. Good for them.