PDA

View Full Version : BrainMachine Demo released!

wraggster
June 29th, 2008, 18:15
Maxthebest (http://maxence-dev.blogspot.com/) has released his BrainMachine Demo for the PSP, a brain training type game for PSP i presume

Heres the translated info:

Hello,
Yesterday, I had a lot of different reactions during the day, they evolved by hours, and others.
I will therefore like to share with you my assessment when out of the demo.

First, early in the day, many people started to criticize it (without good reason this demo, accusing him of being useless and harmful to health.
This first wave of reaction, although I expected out this demo was quite discouraging. Indeed, that people expressing their opinions without even having tested, it is quite depressing, and it does not encourage others to test.
But fortunately, a little later, people who actually tested this homebrew began coming to me to share their reactions, positive for most.
However, unfortunately, there are people who use the machine has no effect, see a negative effect. I do not understand why and how it can have an adverse effect, but I advice them to stop trying because it is not interesting for them to choper a migraine with this machine.

Moreover, the results of small surveys done 1 day on my blog, and devsgen show that many people really appreciate the brainmachine.

I am therefore delighted that most people, fear a possible spite of this strange homebrew, and a skepticism about his performance, have shown that it actually walked, and I am pleased to announce that this demonstration phase to be conclusive most, I will continue the project.

Expect therefore to hear about the brainmachine again, perhaps not immediately, however, since I BAC of french oral review.

Thanks to all those who have tested, and those who support me

Download and give feedback via comments.

Mr. Shizzy
June 29th, 2008, 20:00
Looks interesting. I'll try it out :)

osgeld
June 30th, 2008, 08:33
would a description and maybe a screen shot KILL the author

im loading up the ol memory sticks for a week long trip, ill try it out

arsenal-4-life-naz
June 30th, 2008, 14:42
it is not working on verision 4.01

Buddy4point0
June 30th, 2008, 18:14
it is not working on verision 4.01
You need custom firmware to run homebrew.

robocelot
July 1st, 2008, 16:02
I don't have my PSP handy, and my French is a bit rusty -- but I believe it's an electronic version of a sound and light brain machine similar to this:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/28/brain-machine-legally-induces-mind-trip/

This is the kind of homebrew I like to see, rather than everyone rushing to port all of the open source emulators that everyone seems to port to systems once they can homebrew on them.

maxthebest
July 1st, 2008, 17:02
Hey, I'm the author ;)
I'm going to give you a better description of my work, because the news doesn't teach you much...

So, as robocelot said, it is a PSP version of the Sound and Light machine (also calles brainmachine) made by Mitch Altman (a great man, who hacks microcontrollers into very cool stuff, like TV-B gone, which you might know)

So, what does it actually do?
This PSP version is only the sound part of the machine, so it's not as efficient, as the real one, but it works?
All you have to do is plug you earphones, start the game, set the volume level to half or 3/4, depending on your brand... you need to hear the sound, but it musn't make you feel unconfortable.
Then, press Start button to play the sequence.
The sequence is a meditation sequence that lasts 14 minutes (or so), while listening to it, you cazn either be on your bed, or sitting on a chair, or whatever, as far as you feel relaxed.
Then, after the 14 minutes of listening, you should feel better, like invigorated...

I'm waiting for feedbacks :)

Oh, and if you feel unconfortable while listening to it, just quit, that' means it doesn't work with you... I'm sorry :(

EDIT:

would a description and maybe a screen shot KILL the author

im loading up the ol memory sticks for a week long trip, ill try it out
Oh, I just wrote a documentation (in french) and uploaded it on my blog, so, please, just don't talk without knowing, because the news on this website haven't seen any description form the author doesn't mean there is not any ;)
Thanks.

discombobulated
July 1st, 2008, 19:20
It seems slightly calming for me but basically this is just audio. Why not just give us a link to the mp3 instead. It would start faster, no coding involved, and 100% compatibility as long as your PSP can play mp3's.

maxthebest
July 1st, 2008, 21:25
I haven't got any MP3, and, if it was just to give every one a mp3, I would have stayed at home...
The goal is to, in a future version, let you chose your sequences, let you chose the time you want it to last, many little details that you couldn't have with a mp3.
And anyway, I'm developping things I like, and I like developping this, so...

discombobulated
July 1st, 2008, 21:37
I haven't got any MP3, and, if it was just to give every one a mp3, I would have stayed at home...
The goal is to, in a future version, let you chose your sequences, let you chose the time you want it to last, many little details that you couldn't have with a mp3.
And anyway, I'm developping things I like, and I like developping this, so...

Understandable. Thanks for the app, it's got potential. And as stated, it's good to see something different besides games being made and see it used for different applications.

maxthebest
July 1st, 2008, 21:46
Yeah, thanks.
My main goal is to code some "different" applications.
I'm bored of seeing always the same kind of homebrews on psp website's front page, so, I just decided to start making cool (or not, but different) homebrews ;)
Hope most of you will like it ;)

SpEnTBoY
July 4th, 2008, 03:59
This is the kind of homebrew I like to see, rather than everyone rushing to port all of the open source emulators that everyone seems to port to systems once they can homebrew on them.

FWIW I'd like to second this ... I think this is a great idea and a little thinking outside the box might attract other developers as well. Dont get me wrong, a strong interest in most homebrew development is good for all of us ... but I like the idea of _different_ homebrew with a new cool factor.

Keep up the good work!!