PDA

View Full Version : PS3 2.40 Update Problems And Solutions

Shrygue
July 2nd, 2008, 21:01
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5021458/ps3-240-update-problems-and-solutions)

While it seems like every time the PlayStation 3 undergoes a firmware upgrade is plagued by people trying to blame broken systems on the update, last night's 2.40 update seems to have caused genuine issues with many posters over at the official PlayStation forums. Owners of PS3s in all shapes and sizes have been reporting that their systems were loading to the initial PlayStation wave screen and simply hanging there after applying 2.40. No icons, no controller functions, no nothing, just the wave across the middle of the screen.

There doesn't seem to be any real pattern as to which systems are affected. 60GB, 40GB, 20GB, and 80GB systems alike have all been afflicted with the issue. We've contacted Sony for word on the issue, but in the meantime several of the more tech savvy forum posters have determined how to fix the issue, if you're willing to yank out your console's hard disk drive.

Users found that removing and reformatting their PS3 hard drive and then reinserting it into the console would get the system to boot completely, after which it asks to reformat the disk again and everything runs normally. Of course they lose all of their saved games and have to redo all of their downloads, but I suppose that is better than sending in the system for a $150.00 [£75] repair.

One can only assume that the update was the catalyst that caused certain data on affected hard disks to become corrupt, rendering the system unbootable. It would certainly explain why only certain systems are being affected, and why Sony couldn't have caught the problem in the first place.

We'll keep you updated on the issue as we learn more. In the meantime, feel free to hit the link below to read through 30 plus pages of quality PS3 forum drama (http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3042817&view=by_date_ascending&page=1).

DPyro
July 2nd, 2008, 21:34
Also appears to be custom themes do to the new icons (trophy) being added in 2.40.

F9zDark
July 2nd, 2008, 22:07
So I guess thats why when I booted up my PS3 5 minutes ago there was no update found?

Accordion
July 2nd, 2008, 22:30
Updated no problems, MGS4 custom theme is fine.

Really wish that music would play in the store though.

Gizmo356
July 2nd, 2008, 22:30
Yeah they took down the update :S

DPyro
July 2nd, 2008, 22:47
If you don't want to wait for sony to put the link up again, you can download it from here (http://www.ps3hax.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=145) (already updated mine, works fine)

F9zDark
July 2nd, 2008, 23:52
If you don't want to wait for sony to put the link up again, you can download it from here (http://www.ps3hax.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=145) (already updated mine, works fine)

Now that I hear there are issues I am a little hesistant to do it. What model PS3 do those of you have who updated?

Accordion
July 3rd, 2008, 01:36
I have 60gb PAL region launch console If a hdd format fixes the problem then make sure to back up before the update.

Shadowblind
July 3rd, 2008, 01:58
EDIT: Already been posted. Why does the firmware crash the ps3s anyway?

DPyro
July 3rd, 2008, 01:59
60GB NTSC. The issue is merely to do with a corrupt HDD. It won't actually 'brick' your console. If you do run into problems, you can always format the PS3 hard drive in your computer which fixes the problem.

DarthPaul
July 3rd, 2008, 03:04
I'm guessing this problem is due to the server overload.

Too many people were waiting for this firmware, and the whole world was downloading it at the same time. So the servers went laggy and had a lot of problems. Like with me, for example. I couldn't download the firmware from the PS3, I kept getting an error, and suddenly couldn't even get connected to the PSN server.

So, the server was overloaded, some people couldn't download the update correctly, and downloaded a corrupted file instead. That's why their PS3's bricked.

But me, and the rest of my friends, downloaded the firmware from PlayStation's site copied it to a USB, and updated the PS3 through the Storage Media option.

No corrupted file, good installation, happy customers.

I'm really happy with it right now, and impatiently waiting for patches, so Metal Gear Solid 4 gets Trophies support.

F9zDark
July 3rd, 2008, 04:18
I'm guessing this problem is due to the server overload.

Too many people were waiting for this firmware, and the whole world was downloading it at the same time. So the servers went laggy and had a lot of problems. Like with me, for example. I couldn't download the firmware from the PS3, I kept getting an error, and suddenly couldn't even get connected to the PSN server.

So, the server was overloaded, some people couldn't download the update correctly, and downloaded a corrupted file instead. That's why their PS3's bricked.

But me, and the rest of my friends, downloaded the firmware from PlayStation's site copied it to a USB, and updated the PS3 through the Storage Media option.

No corrupted file, good installation, happy customers.

I'm really happy with it right now, and impatiently waiting for patches, so Metal Gear Solid 4 gets Trophies support.

That is a very sound observation; since I think we all know that Sony's update verification is horrible, considering the same problem happened to countless PSPs.

Edit:

By the way, I updated and it works, I have a 60gb PS3 as well, don't know if that makes any difference, but from what I read at the official PS boards, more issues seem to crop up with the 40gb model than any other. (Overall, not just this update)

rageteam1000
July 3rd, 2008, 05:08
updated two days ago. originally 60gb (upgraded to 300gb). everything seems fine with it. typing this post from my ps3 right now.

Shrygue
July 3rd, 2008, 20:20
Mine froze right after updating but a quick restart and all was fine after that.