PDA

View Full Version : Sony still quiet on 2.40 progress

Shrygue
July 4th, 2008, 19:34
via Computer and Video Games (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=192285)

Sony is staying hush on when the pulled PS3 2.4 firmware update may be reinstated for download.

like to at least have a rough idea of how long it may be before Sony fixes the problem and delivers the goods, but in pestering Sony UK today, CVG was told there was "no further update".

In case you missed it, the much-anticipated update, which adds in-game XBM access and a new trophy rewards system to the PS3, among other tweaks, was launched yesterday then swiftly pulled when it emerged it was breaking consoles.

The CVG boss managed to install the new firmware without a problem. But of all the firmware updates to mess up, this should not have been the one.

Accordion
July 4th, 2008, 20:04
Surely backing up you data and using another source to download the update is still possible.

Would be nice to know what makes the HDD corrupt

urherenow
July 4th, 2008, 20:49
I Can confirm that. Downloading the .PUP from the 'net and installing via USB works perfectly as far as I can tell. I think the real problem was that this update was so hyped, people hammered the server and it couldn't take it. This corrupted the .pup downloads.

Shrygue
July 4th, 2008, 20:53
That's how I got the firmware update package as well. After installing version 2.40, I didn't have any problems.

jrsmaster411
July 5th, 2008, 05:22
anyone who didn't get the update isn't missing that much so far the custom soundtracks don't work on any game I've tried and the only game with trophies is super stardust hd although in game xmb is pretty neat cause you can check your downloads and message in game

synthetic_h8
July 5th, 2008, 07:30
i'm actually kinda pissed about the soundtrack thing. i was hoping i could listen to some metal while i got my frag on, instead of whatever lo-fi crap the guy i'm shooting at is.

DPyro
July 5th, 2008, 15:04
Blame Microsoft.

F9zDark
July 5th, 2008, 16:22
Blame Microsoft.

While I agree with this statement 99% of the time, what does Microsoft have to do with this?

DPyro
July 5th, 2008, 17:36
Sorry, I should have quoted who I was speaking to. Blame Microsoft because they have a patent on in-game music.

F9zDark
July 5th, 2008, 17:41
Sorry, I should have quoted who I was speaking to. Blame Microsoft because they have a patent on in-game music.

I am still a little skeptical about this, I didn't think software could be patented in the US.

DPyro
July 5th, 2008, 19:25
It was posted awhile ago here (http://www.ripten.com/2008/03/31/microsoft-owns-patent-for-in-game-custom-soundtracks/)