PDA

View Full Version : Greenberg: The Wii? Total Fad

wraggster
July 4th, 2008, 23:14
Ah, it just wouldn't be an Aaron Greenberg interview without a little juice to it, would it? Xbox's director of product management has, while speaking with Gamasutra, re-iterated a common and well-worn theme amongst Microsoft (and Sony) executives that, after new gamers buy themselves a Wii, they'll eventually "graduate" to a 360 or PS3. And why will they graduate? Well, because of another wll-worn argument: that the Wii is a fad:

Everyone says that eventually the novelty will wear off, right? I think that a lot of the people that are buying that console today are not people that have generally bought consoles in the past, right?

You see they're not buying games on it, right? They're buying it, it's like something they break out when people come over, and it's maybe a fun thing, but it's almost like the same people that buy a karaoke machine, you know? They're not really buying it for games, they're just buying it as a novelty.

Ah, the ritual, pre-E3 poo-chucking. Always a hoot.

http://kotaku.com/5022228/greenberg-the-wii-total-fad

AndrewArsonn
July 4th, 2008, 23:28
Just another case of someone's attempt at "dissing" someone else's more successful console. :)

KristenBaldousor
July 5th, 2008, 05:07
So, MS people are starting to whine on the low sales of 360 huh?

Maybe what he says is true, maybe most people who buys a Wii had never bought console before, and just because they saw it on someone's else house, they bought one.

The best part is, Nintendo doesn't care who buy a Wii, they get money!!!!!!

Keep saying whatever you want, I have a PS3, just bought MGS4 past saturday (i live in mexico, pretty hard to nab one at good price so got to go to us to grab one) and believe, this past days, I have been playing Mario 64 on my Wii cuz i'm not feeling like playing MGS4. The hype of the game has kinda died for me, xD

Say whatever you want, 360'll never reach the sales of the Wii

trugamer
July 5th, 2008, 15:31
TBH the wii has been successful for too long to be called a "fad", and the fact the ds is also doing well with a similar attitude of "expanding the gaming market" shows that perhaps Nintendo is doing just that. MS is probably annoyed that come the next generation the same people will be buying the Nintendo console again (if they know the wii and ds is made by Nintendo- I'm serious)

watupgroupie
July 6th, 2008, 00:12
TBH the wii has been successful for too long to be called a "fad", and the fact the ds is also doing well with a similar attitude of "expanding the gaming market" shows that perhaps Nintendo is doing just that. MS is probably annoyed that come the next generation the same people will be buying the Nintendo console again (if they know the wii and ds is made by Nintendo- I'm serious)
Kinda true, but it is a fad, in and around where I live, 6 or 7 of my friends bought a wii, only 1 person still plays it. I'll whip it out when friends come over... but thats it. And the person who still does play it, plays it in like 5 min. bursts. All of my friends have upgraded to a ps3 or 360. Plus I know a lot of people who sold their wii because it just sat there gathering dust, along with their DS.

Auriono
July 6th, 2008, 03:53
Yet, Microsoft seems eager to make a Wii 2 too.