PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation loses chipping case

Darksaviour69
October 6th, 2005, 12:23
Sony has lost a legal battle in Australia over the modifying of its PlayStation games console.

The High Court has ruled that chipping the console so that it can play imported games does not breach copyright law.

The ruling ends a four-year legal battle between Sony and a supplier of so-called mod chips, which bypass regional controls on the machine.

In the UK, the selling of mod chips was ruled illegal in 2004.

full story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4315172.stm)

Cap'n 1time
October 6th, 2005, 20:10
hah! a win for the good guys!

xuphorz
October 6th, 2005, 21:23
hell ya, glad that's true

what about america? are mod-chips illegal?

Emulation_Chief
October 6th, 2005, 23:21
Hello:

Yes. It is Illegal. They worry about software piracy.

xuphorz
October 7th, 2005, 02:07
ah, oops my xbox, and ps2 have mod chips
oh well, not like the first illegal thing i've done

plungmonies
October 7th, 2005, 04:08
hey guy's I kive in australia and know of this so called distributor that sony has been battling for the past few years. It's nothing more than a small family business called the mod shop. Sony have been seeking to crush this particular shop for years forcing them to stop modifying sony consoles yet other stores offering the same services are let go. So I am glad to see a small retailer win against a big fish like sony however I think people should know how rampant and socially acceptable piracy is over here.
I would say that at least 90 percent of the population owns bootleg dvd's and games. One reason for this is the fact that australia's favourite tourist destination is bali which you may know is the bootleg capital of the world.
everyone you ask who has come back from holiday will gladly show you the 4 or 5 hundred dvd movies and ps2 games they just bought for the equal of 50 ausie dollars and then happily trade with you. it is honestly like trading cards over here. So while I find It great about the latest ruling I can sympaphise with sony to some degree here as they are trying to protect their ip ,however nobody will ever believe me when I say that I chipped my consoles to play emus and homebrew. looks like the vast population have ruined it for the rest of us.

shadowprophet
October 7th, 2005, 09:16
point score for the home team!!:D

Jdemon
October 7th, 2005, 13:42
Corporations need to be brought DOWN!!! They rape the working man for a buck and it's about time they got told NO! If they would wise up and bring down prices on CD's, DVD's and Videogames this "bootleg" problem wouldn't be anywhere near what it is.

Power To The People :D

ptr.exe
October 7th, 2005, 16:14
Corporations need to be brought DOWN!!!
Without them, there would be nothing, where would you get a PC? who would make a Dreamcast or a PSP? As much as people hate large corporations we need them almost as much as they need us.

I can understand Sony of Europe taking this viewpoint, they stand to lose money if people purchase an import before the EU release.

Still, glad they lost :p

xuphorz
October 7th, 2005, 22:56
shadow, your back already?

shadowprophet
October 8th, 2005, 08:19
well lol call it more of a visitation.
Things with the house arnt going as expected.
The more I spend to fix it, the more I notice needs to be fixed.
Sigh,,,
Anyway. Ive taken a break from it,
But As soon as I get over this little stress break i'll be back at it.

ptr.exe
October 8th, 2005, 18:16
shadow, your back already?
I was wondering the same thing, good to see you back anyway.

Unlucky, projects always seem to need more than first expected especially something as big as that, stick with it, it'll be worth it.

shadowprophet
October 9th, 2005, 18:17
You know it wasnt but a week after I was gone that I started to really miss the forums:(

So Im really glad to be back.

Right after i had my little (episode) about the house.
I figured I needed to do somthing to get my mind off things.

And yes much like people in the insane house. are pursuaded to make crafts with popsicle sticks. I was in need of a non threatning hobby.
Somthing that didnt include arson- 0.o I really did wanna burn it to the ground guys *cries

But anyway thats all behind me now. and I have finished (triumph)

The worlds first psone constructed entirely out of legos. ( to my knowlage anyway)

and yeah it works like a dream. :) I even sent in these same pics to EGM.
So who knows maybe we will see it in there. no clue yet tho I just sent the email last night.

* cheers

Cap'n 1time
October 11th, 2005, 04:41
hah... HAHAHA! GREATEST MOD EVER
BTW: I read once in a magazine that LEGO's must be spelled in all caps.. but its not like a give a rats ass... i cant spell anyway.

shadowprophet
October 11th, 2005, 15:02
You know I had my evil dark reasons for modding this psone.
See the problem with the psone design is that tricky door lever.
With that having been tricked out. and a psx gameshark.
Well.
I really dont wanna get in trouble.. so i'll leave it at that :D

ptr.exe
October 11th, 2005, 15:14
Very cool, nice work :)

That's the first LEGO PSone ive seen, although there are LEGO PC's and GC, and NES. Why does everyone love LEGO so much? :p

shadowprophet
October 11th, 2005, 18:03
I dont know about most people.
but I guess the reason I still like (LEGOS) in caps. (there happy now 1timeuser) :p

I guess is because. I mean there a toy theres no geting around that.
But beyond that. You can build things that justify . (at least half heartedly anway)
That a full grown adult has played with building blocks, and somhow people can identify with this and find it acceptible. in short its one of the only toys out there that allows kids to be kids and adults to relive that experience.
Or if thats to deep an explination.

Fine then I played with kids toys and liked it :D so there :p

Hmm a lego pc case :confused:

I think ive still got enough left. That might rock indeed.

ptr.exe
October 15th, 2005, 15:08
Definately, if i had enough LEGO left over from when i was little i'd do it.

I'm off now to go build a castle out of LEGO :D

Mental2k
October 17th, 2005, 12:01
Yeah but chips which allow us to load linux aren't illegal are they? ;)

Mental2k
October 17th, 2005, 12:03
hmmm LEGO DC....

Kaiser
October 25th, 2005, 04:23
You know it wasnt but a week after I was gone that I started to really miss the forums:(

So Im really glad to be back.

Right after i had my little (episode) about the house.
I figured I needed to do somthing to get my mind off things.

And yes much like people in the insane house. are pursuaded to make crafts with popsicle sticks. I was in need of a non threatning hobby.
Somthing that didnt include arson- 0.o I really did wanna burn it to the ground guys *cries

But anyway thats all behind me now. and I have finished (triumph)

The worlds first psone constructed entirely out of legos. ( to my knowlage anyway)

and yeah it works like a dream. :) I even sent in these same pics to EGM.
So who knows maybe we will see it in there. no clue yet tho I just sent the email last night.

* cheers

I'm sad that I missed this nice work SP. I myself have been working on a PC case built with mostly lego. I've seen pictures of such a thing before.