PDA

View Full Version : 87% of PlayStation 3 owners watching Blu-ray movies? Survey says yes

wraggster
July 5th, 2008, 21:00
Buried under predictions that 2012 will bring dominance for Blu-ray over DVD and breaking news that the PS3 just may have had a hand in winning the format war the Entertainment Merchant's Association 2008 Annual Report on the Home Entertainment Industry holds survey results showing 87% of PS3 owners reported they watch Blu-ray movies on their console. That's a stark contrast to last year's NPD survey indicating 60% of owners didn't even know it played them. We don't know what's behind the jump, be it better marketing/consumer education, or something wrong with how one the surveys were conducted. You can mull that one over during the fast money round while also peeping results that say 22% of HDTV owners think they're watching HD programming, but in fact are not -- not like we haven't heard that before.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/04/87-of-playstation-3-owners-watching-blu-ray-movies-survey-says/

JKKDARK
July 5th, 2008, 21:50
Of course, the PS3 hasn't good video games.

wind_mill
July 7th, 2008, 09:46
@JKKDARK

I'm pretty sure they mean in addition to playing games, not exclusively ( because according to the NPD survey, 60% of owners last year were unaware of this feature).

Baboon
July 7th, 2008, 13:04
I've got two friends with ps3's and ALL they use it for is bluyray movies. They have sold the couple games they had as they weren't impressed with what's out. lol

KFR42
July 7th, 2008, 13:25
Its fairly well known that a lot of people buy PS3s primarily as a cheap blu ray player and its excellent upscaling facilities. Thats certianly the case amongst people I know. Certainly for me gaming was secondary. I can only assume it is for other owners too, because quite frankly, as a games console the 360 blows the PS3 out of the water.

jamotto
July 7th, 2008, 23:31
If all I wanted to do was watch blu-ray movies i'd buy a standalone.

KFR42
July 9th, 2008, 07:23
If all I wanted to do was watch blu-ray movies i'd buy a standalone.

Pft, not when the PS3 is about haf the price of a standalone you wouldn't.

jamotto
July 9th, 2008, 08:40
Pft, not when the PS3 is about haf the price of a standalone you wouldn't.

The initial cost is cheaper, but the cost to run the PS3 vs a standalone player is ridiculous especially when considering power consumption.

pibs
July 9th, 2008, 09:59
The PS3 upscales DVDs quite impressively so I hardly ever buy blu-ray titles. I just wished sony would release a VGA cable for PS3 so I could hook it up to my projector or monitor where my router is at :/

I have a feeling it will never happen

KFR42
July 9th, 2008, 13:13
The PS3 upscales DVDs quite impressively so I hardly ever buy blu-ray titles. I just wished sony would release a VGA cable for PS3 so I could hook it up to my projector or monitor where my router is at :/

I have a feeling it will never happen

I highly doubt that will happen. You'll have to pay out for an HD Fury.

The DVD upscale is brilliant, but they still look nowhere near as good as blu rays.

I don't know about US prices but in the UK a PS3 costs about 3/5 of the price of most standalone blu ray players. And given the quality of the the player and the upscaling its pretty much the best blu ray player for your money. Thats why people buy them even if they don't intend to play many games on it.

F9zDark
July 9th, 2008, 22:23
I highly doubt that will happen. You'll have to pay out for an HD Fury.

The DVD upscale is brilliant, but they still look nowhere near as good as blu rays.

I don't know about US prices but in the UK a PS3 costs about 3/5 of the price of most standalone blu ray players. And given the quality of the the player and the upscaling its pretty much the best blu ray player for your money. Thats why people buy them even if they don't intend to play many games on it.

Very true, but just last year 60% of owners had no idea the PS3 played Blu-Ray movies. So we cannot say that most PS3 owners bought it to simply play Blu-Rays.

KFR42
July 10th, 2008, 13:23
Very true, but just last year 60% of owners had no idea the PS3 played Blu-Ray movies. So we cannot say that most PS3 owners bought it to simply play Blu-Rays.

Yes, you're right. I just know that a lot of people I know bought them primarily for blu ray play back.

lmtlmt
July 11th, 2008, 02:27
well bluray players are less expensive than the ps3 here now

Shadowblind
July 11th, 2008, 02:31

Thats why I can't believe either article. In a single year (or 6 months or less) I don't think the scale would jump from 60% NOT knowing about Blu-Ray to 87% USING it.

I don't believe 60% didn't know about it, considering, its splattered on the box, and Sony has used a HUGE marketing campaign since the launch of the PS3 to get people to see it.

No se.

KFR42
July 11th, 2008, 18:02
well bluray players are less expensive than the ps3 here now

Really? Unfortunately not here in rip-off Britain.

F9zDark
July 11th, 2008, 22:11
Thats why I can't believe either article. In a single year (or 6 months or less) I don't think the scale would jump from 60% NOT knowing about Blu-Ray to 87% USING it.

I don't believe 60% didn't know about it, considering, its splattered on the box, and Sony has used a HUGE marketing campaign since the launch of the PS3 to get people to see it.

No se.

Well the 60% not knowing about Blu-Ray was conducted by the NPD group; so I believe there is some credibility there, but why this number would jump to now 87% USING the feature is a little strange.

Whats even more disconcerting is that it hasn't even been a year yet. So in 11 months the PS3 fan base made a damn near 180 as far as Blu-Ray watching goes?

Who really knows, but I put my stock in the NPD survey.