PDA

View Full Version : Comparison Of Each Handheld Console Vs Gp2x For Emulation, zodiac, gba, ds, psp, gp3

wraggster
July 5th, 2008, 21:52
renejr902 (http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?act=ST&f=58&t=42910) posted his comparison of each handheld and which is best for emulation, heres his review:

I had most handheld console. This is my comparison between them. I will give them a rank by emulator console and a % of perfection comparing them with the real hardware and others emulators ( speed, stability, emulator options, strething option and quality, playability.) In fact, the more enjoyable emulator on the top 1.

NES EMULATOR ( considering the best nes emulator on each handheld)

1. Gba ( but you have to play it unscaled with sprite following the screen, its nice anyway) the more accurate emulator in speed. D-pad really enjoyable with nes emulator 95%

2. Gp2x and PsP. its a tie ( Gp2x suffer from his jostick digital. PSP suffer from ghostling and blur. Gp2x streching look nice with nes emulator (different strechted option). PSP too with bilinear filtering) 92%

3. Nintendo Ds ( need to play it unscaled a little too large, great speed) 90% ( you can always play it with the gba nes emulator

4. Zodiac ( play nice great filtering but suffer fomr a bad jostick) 85%

5. Gp32 ( its not fullspeed with lj nes emulator vwersion 0.4 you have to use v0.3 instead to get fullspeed. Fullstreching look a little weird) 83%

SUPER NES EMULATOR ( considering the best nes emulator on each handheld)

1. PSP ( best speed, grea bilinear filtering, most games playable at frameskip 0 or 1, Great D-pad) 95%

2. GP2x ( great speed , slower with transparency On, Fullscreen stretched look a little weird, digital jostick not great for emulation but its ok.) 92%

3. Zodiac ( great speed, alittle slower than the gp2x snes emulator, but very enjoyable, fullscreen filtering look really nice, but really bad jostick for snes emulation.

4. Nintendo Ds ( great speed with a lot of games, but No transparency.) But a lot of games very enjoyable, they are fullspeed. but a lot of games not playable too because no transprency. 85%

5. Gp32. ITs suck lol. Super Punchout playable with sound at frameskip 2. same thing with mario world.
A lot of games run very slow.

6. GBA. At least a few games are playable fullspeed with no sound. a few of them have graphical glitch.

GENESIS/ Megadrive ( considering the best nes emulator on each handheld)

1. Wow GP2X. You want a real genesis hardware in your pocket, this is the best emulator on all handheld. Full speed for all games ( all games i tried, at 200 to 250 mhz). No ghostling, great color, real screen resolution 320 x 240. no need for stretching for a lot of games. because they are 320 x 240 like the gp2x. This emulator is awesome.

2. PSP and NINTENDO DS. Its a tie. ( you dont want to buy a gp2x but want a genesis emulator that runs fine. Buy the psp or Ds, the same give similar result. PSP: fullspeed with a few slow down or vsync not always perfecly accurate OR DS : fullspeed rare slowdown but sound bug sometimes. The 2 emulatorsa are really enjoyable.

3. Gp32 ( game playable at frameskip 1 with sound ) ( most of time 30 fps) a little faster than Zodiac. real resolution 320 x 240.

4. Zodiac ( games playable at frameskip 1 with sound) (20-30fps) better at frameskip 2. all fullscreen emu look nice on Zodiac with filtering.

5. GBA ??? is it exist

Gamegear/sms

1. PSP ( all games fullspeed great filtering fullscreen, Great D-pad)

2. Gp32 ( All games full stretched fullspeed with sms32 v0.5 not fsms32 (fsms32 not fullspeed when full strectched) Great playability, great jostick digital. i always love the gp32 jostick controller.

3. Gp2x and Zodiac A tie( Gp2x cant play games completely full streched, no option, jostick ok for games. All games fullspeed, more enjoyable than Ds and Gba) Zodiac great stretching , bad jostick, great speed.

4. Gba and DS a tie ( anyway the best emulator is the gba emulator. so you have to play the gamegear gba emulator on DS) Fullspeed for all games, small screen, great D-pad for ds and gba.

GAMEBOY mono and color emulator

1. PSP ( really prefer it. Fullspeed, full stretched with filtering look really nice, great brightness, great color palette, accurate speed, great emulator, great D-pad ( RIN emulator)

2. Gp2x ( Fullspeed, but speed not always accurate, great looking for full stretched, i dont like a lot the palette colors in any of the gb emulator. need progress here, if possible. Jostick ok.

3. Zodiac ( great speed, great looking fullscreen strched, bad jostick for emulator)

4. Gp32 ( not always fullspeed, too fast , too slow, but i didnt try the last version of fgb32 preview day because I CANT GET IT TO WORK GRRR !!! i tried the first version of fgb32. others emu dont runs great.) anyway more enjoyable than Ds and Gba

5. Gba and DS ( i use the gba emulator goomba for the 2 console. Fullspeed, but little screen to play.

For gameboy advance the gp emulator runs a lot better with PSP. in fact PSP seem to run all games at fullspeed with rarely need for frameskip. Gp2x runs slow with some games

i didnt play much the others emu to compare them between console

This is my favorites hnandheld for emulators.

1. PSP ( all emus runs great , really nice for emulation, its the best, ghostling is not so bad, hard to see when playing, but some blur)
2. GP2x ( genesis emulator runs PERFECT, wow) (nes great too)others emu are good but not great like psp ones
3. Gp32 and Nintendo Ds ( its a tie because love the fullspeed genesis emu on nintendo DS, and snes emulator runs better, others emu runs better on gp32
4. Zodiac nothing bad with it all emu runs enjoyable but bad jostick.
5. GBA ( yeah its fifth, but GBA HAS MY BEST NES EMULATOR OF ALL TIME) others emu are ok.

For me

NES = GBA
SNES = PSP
GENESIS = GP2X
GamegearSMS = PSP or GP32
Gameboy = PSP
Gameboy advance = PSP

I SAID THE TRUTH , i hope it can help some people to do their choice depending the favorites emulators

agree or not via reply

Eviltaco64
July 5th, 2008, 22:47
I only disagree with the Genesis part.
I wouldnt tie DS and PSP, after all, PSP has Sega CD Emulation, DS doesnt.

kcajblue
July 5th, 2008, 23:26
i disagree with the gameboy, psp does deserve to be up there, but the ds doesnt deserve to be last.

acidspunk
July 5th, 2008, 23:30
meh this reeks of inaccuracies and broken English.

juiceface
July 5th, 2008, 23:40
Yeah the DS genesis has came a long way but the psp's is much better in my opinion. The screen is not cropped on the psp either, and the sound is much better emulated.

On nesterJ i don't notice any blur, can anyone point me to a game/example of it?

theotherfreakyguy
July 5th, 2008, 23:59
I disagree about GB/GBC emulation for DS- this guy obviously hasn't tried Lameboy.

mike_jmg
July 6th, 2008, 00:37
best handheld emus are on PSP hell yeah

JKKDARK
July 6th, 2008, 01:05
No one will get all the systems anyway :/

masterchief929
July 6th, 2008, 01:14
its OK, once i get my Pandora console i will have a hand-held that will own the emulation scoreboards!

chipan
July 6th, 2008, 01:41
Kinda lame comparison.

The GP32 Gameboy emulator (FGB32 F-Day) Is the best GB emulator I saw for ages.

Eviltaco64, GP2X is the first handheld with SegaCD emulation.

And I don't know how is posible to say that a panoramic system is the best way to emulate classic 4/3 system games.

And the best SMS/GG emulator for GP2X run all games fullspeed while underclocked.

Twisted.inc
July 6th, 2008, 01:57

GENESIS/ Megadrive ( considering the best nes emulator on each handheld)

So... What exactly does a NES emulator have to do with a Genesis or Megadrive emulator?

Further speculation may infer as to why some of his choices are what they are...

Eviltaco64
July 6th, 2008, 04:10
Kinda lame comparison.

The GP32 Gameboy emulator (FGB32 F-Day) Is the best GB emulator I saw for ages.

Eviltaco64, GP2X is the first handheld with SegaCD emulation.

And I don't know how is posible to say that a panoramic system is the best way to emulate classic 4/3 system games.

And the best SMS/GG emulator for GP2X run all games fullspeed while underclocked.

Im very well aware that GP2X had Sega CD Emulation. In fact I was amazed seeing Sonic CD run on it at first (it even kinda made me want a GP2X). But I'd say PSP is up there with GP2X. DS would be pretty low in my opinion.

Sterist
July 6th, 2008, 06:57
i think a kid wrote this

Eviltaco64
July 6th, 2008, 07:00
i think a kid wrote this

nah, it would be NINTENDO DS WINZ on everything if it was :p

xabier
July 6th, 2008, 10:33
gp2x also emulates svp chipset full speed with picodrive

Eviltaco64
July 6th, 2008, 10:52
hmm, ill give you that one as psp only does partially :)
but thats still only one game, and overall, doesnt make that much of a difference experience-wise

drock82
July 6th, 2008, 10:53
psp is damn near the perfect emulator machine and now that the psp slim drop with 64 ram space who knows what developers can get out of the psp take a look at the emulators that runs full speed

snes
picodrive
cps2
cps1
nesterj
masterboy( emulates gameboy color,sega mastersystem)
gpsp-gameboy advance emulator
atari
colecovision

and last the best emulator that psp secretly had on its system the perfect ps1 emulator;)

pippo
July 6th, 2008, 15:15
and C64 ????
on DS is really poor and slow..
and MAME ?
many standalone coinops run on GBA better of DS..., DS have no mame...but MARCA...
slow, old..and no updates..

the DS MUST say THANKS to the GBA develp. for the few emulator what have!!!

no body (good one) like to programm emulatos on ds..that's true.

for the anothers little console are many, many more...and work better...

blazsly
July 6th, 2008, 20:15
this person has also forgot that psp can emulate 2 systems none of the others can and never will.
The N64(runs pretty slow but hey games like smash bros work and are enjoyable and playable)
and....................A PERFECT PS1 emulator!

therefore there is no comparison. Psp has to win no matter what.

kharaboudjan
July 6th, 2008, 21:04
well, i think the psp is the best as well. but on GG and GB i would say that the GBA is the best all the way! i mean the d-pad is perfect and you dont have to scale anything on these two emulators. its just perfect emulation in your little pocket!

the DS is not so much better in emulating NES or SNES than the GBA so i sold my DS. there was no use for it.

like some other posted before, the guy seems not to have tested picodrive for the psp :D

i would say that the psp and the GBA is equally great, it just depends if you want to emulate 8 bit or 16 bit systems. (for 8 bit systems i prefer GBA and for 16 bit systems i prefer PSP) the DS was just lame in emulation if you already have a GBA and a psp.

chipan
July 7th, 2008, 00:51
this person has also forgot that psp can emulate 2 systems none of the others can and never will.
The N64(runs pretty slow but hey games like smash bros work and are enjoyable and playable)
and....................A PERFECT PS1 emulator!

therefore there is no comparison. Psp has to win no matter what.
Nobody talked about the most important emulator, Im talking about MAME, an emulator that works so well on GP2X and doesnt work (or barely works) on other handheld consoles.

The PSP is not the best emulator handheld, but the "being" who made this comparison is kinda lame because try to tell us the psp is the best.

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 00:59
Dude PSP has CPS1, CPS2, Neo-Geo, and some 80s MAME. That's still decent, although I'd like to play some Arcade Turtles in Time

Baboon
July 7th, 2008, 12:33
PSP is without a doubt the handheld king of emulation! :)

GP2X mame is indeed impressive but as Evilaco64 said psp mame is not too far behind... 100% perfection with cps1&2 and all neogeo games on psp - plus all of them have adhoc multiplayer! :)

I know people moan about the d-pad on the psp but with a simple fix its great for pulling off moves on mark of the wolves and street fighter. Apparently the joystick on the GPX32 is awful (not tried one so cant say for sure) so even with more compatibility with mame games running its pointless if the controls are shite. lol

100% perfect PS1 emulation on the psp seals the deal really. :thumbup:

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 12:53
NES is fine on PSP and GP2X
SNES works better on PSP.
There is no N64 emulator for GP2X, so PSP wins that one, too :)
Master System, Im not sure really, but Im sure its a tie.
Genesis goes to the GP2X, although there's not much of a difference.
MAME goes to the GP2X.
PS1 goes to the PSP.

Not including the ties, PSP wins.

Baboon
July 7th, 2008, 12:59
NES is fine on PSP and GP2X
SNES works better on PSP.
There is no N64 emulator for GP2X, so PSP wins that one, too :)
Master System, Im not sure really, but Im sure its a tie.
Genesis goes to the GP2X, although there's not much of a difference.
MAME goes to the GP2X.
PS1 goes to the PSP.

Not including the ties, PSP wins.

I think amiga emulation on the gpx32 is supposed to be better though.... plus pc engine cd is better on gpx32... not sure about zx spectrum comparisons though.

In the end so long as your happy with the handheld youve got then who cares. :D

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 13:07
Well Im just thinking about game consoles (I shouldve included TG16).

But yeah, you're right, you'll end up being happy :)

Bigburito
July 8th, 2008, 07:02
I disagree with most of it (possibly because I'm a DS fanboy!) but something that I really have to say is incorrect is that you used goomba for the DS instead of Lameboy! (lameboy blows every other gameboy emulator out of the water! it even has a coloring feature from the super gameboy implemented!) also if you included games like quake (they're ports but still sort of fit the category) the DS would win hands down thanks to the touchscreen!