PDA

View Full Version : Want my Wolf3D v4.0 Port On The DS?

Zack
July 6th, 2008, 00:44
Hey DS users!

Don't think I am leaving you out!

I planning to release my Wolf3D port on the DS too. (see psp news forum for info and screens)

The reason I have not yet released it is because of a few things.

1) I have purchased a DS and Flashcart from ebay. Until they come I can't really work on it.

2) I have to set up my DS development environment.

For those of you that do not know, my port features the following :

1) Spears Of Destiny Full And ShareWare Support
2) Wolf3D Full & ShareWare Support.
3) Music & Sound.
4) Saving & Loading.

I'm not sure if there is much interest on this being ported to the DS so please post here if you want it!

wraggster
July 6th, 2008, 01:57
moved to DS News forum ;)

masterchief929
July 6th, 2008, 02:24
we really, really, really want it! that would be awesome to have this ported over to the ds!

pakkman781
July 6th, 2008, 02:32
Yeah, I want it. Having it on my DS and PSP would be great :D

Zack
July 6th, 2008, 02:42
@ Wraggster, thanks for moving it there. I saw I could post in this forum but didn't know if it warranted being here.

I am currently working on the port now :) (got my dev development environment set up)

I ordered a DS and flashcart (as said above) but don't have it yet, so I am using No$Gba for testing for the time being. I will keep you guys updated.

AuroraKnight
July 6th, 2008, 03:01
Wow wolf3D! That game takes me back. I wouldn't mind having this on my DS, it's always cool to have a larger gaming library. I'll be looking forward to seeing what your port is gonna be like :thumbup:

madcat1990
July 6th, 2008, 03:04
Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme!!!

I Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant!!!!!

Just a quick note Zack, No$GBA doesn't like DLDI IO
(I use NDeSmuME for IO emulation, it supports R4 DLDI emulation)
If you need help, PM me or add me on msn, I'll be glad to give you some hints!

jdvorak007
July 6th, 2008, 04:47
Wow YESSSS we want a port of this. While I have the GBA cart of Wolf this would be much better. The colors were washed out on the GBA version. Cool to have this. I knew this kid in Grants, NM that was just 3 when Wolfenstein 3D came out and they had a Logitec Flightstick and he could beat the entire game. Man those were the days!:)

Shadowblind
July 6th, 2008, 07:17
Wolfenstein 3D? The precursor to Doom?

Frankly, anything having to do with Doom in any way is more then welcome in my books :)

DO IT

DjoeN
July 6th, 2008, 12:50
Yupz,

Love to play Wolf3D and SOD on my DS \0/

HtheB
July 6th, 2008, 22:23
Isn't there already a wolf3d (and/or spear of destiny) port for the DS? :confused:

afaik there is..... :confused:

TheLazy1
July 6th, 2008, 22:37
There is...
And when I get around to it updates will come, but the past while I haven't been able to work on it.

If you want to try porting wolf3d to the DS you can forget about music unless you convert it, the arm7 is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate the YM3812 sound chip.

MP3 Does work but it's not practical for a game, the best bet would be to write an adpcm decoder and run it on the arm7.

TeenDev
July 6th, 2008, 22:44
it would be nice, yeah. the last Wolf3D port kind of died. If you need any coding help, just ask.

DSmanic!
July 6th, 2008, 23:26
There's already a DSDOOM port of Wolfeinstein
3D, Return to Castle Wolfeinstein, Spear of Destiny and Nocturne Missions. And I'm not talking about mod levels, it's the real thing.

Zack
July 6th, 2008, 23:58
There is...
And when I get around to it updates will come, but the past while I haven't been able to work on it.

If you want to try porting wolf3d to the DS you can forget about music unless you convert it, the arm7 is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate the YM3812 sound chip.

MP3 Does work but it's not practical for a game, the best bet would be to write an adpcm decoder and run it on the arm7.

It's up to you. If you plan on updating yours then I don't need to port mine.

No point us both working on a ds port.

I can help you with supporting the full version of wolf3d, spears of destiny etc, or fixing/implementing the changes i made in my psp port, if you want help with it.

let me know of your plans anyway :)

There's already a DSDOOM port of Wolfeinstein
3D, Return to Castle Wolfeinstein, Spear of Destiny and Nocturne Missions. And I'm not talking about mod levels, it's the real thing.

Where?

MichaelA
July 7th, 2008, 05:10
I'd definitely like to see your new Wolf3D ported to the DS. I haven't tried the PSP version yet, but I plan to.

While the other port works, the sound effects cut out after a short time, and then it goes silent. (I'm not talking about music which I know is not supported at present.)

I'm also hoping that your version supports Wolf3D mods. The older one does if you replace the necessary files with patched/updated versions containing new graphics and sound. I'm particularly interested in running Barneystein 3D. (It runs on the earlier port but with the sound problem I mentioned above.) I'm the author of the Barneystein patch for the PC game (some other guy apparently created one for the Mac version after mine), and I've been recently messing around with getting it to run on various modern systems. There's no point, really, it's just a bit of nostalgia and messing around. For what it's worth it does run on the Dreamcast port of Wolf3D, and under DOSBox, and someone's Windows/DirectX port of Wolf3D. :-)

Thanks to both of you coders for bringing this classic game to the DS! If you have the time or inclination to to include cheats usable on the DS (specifically the warp to level cheat and god mode), that would be awesome too. That's an easier way to get to Barney at the 9th level than playing through the entire game. ;-)

Enaress
July 7th, 2008, 05:41
I'd really like to see a Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold port to the DS, that game was kick butt.
But I'm all for your port of Wolf3D!

.:PSP1.0:.
July 7th, 2008, 10:54
Yeah, I want it. Having it on my DS and PSP would be great :D

Agreed!! lol you know i love your work Zack! :)

anteopimp
July 9th, 2008, 20:38
Where?

http://lazyone.drunkencoders.com/wordpress/

The project was started by a drunken coder, but it died... Also the full version of the game was never available so it wasn't much fun. There was no music and it was only a beta, if you can download it or ask the person fora source then you'll have a very good start.

TheLazy1
July 9th, 2008, 21:33
It didn't die, I just got sick and couldn't work on it as much as I wanted to.
I do regret only releasing demos though, bad move on my part but the full versions still had a few bugs that needed to be fixed.

However, I would be interested in whatever fixes you made in your PSP port.
Music is difficult, although the Spear of Destiny test release decoded and played MP3 for music it is just unsuitable for the DS.

The source is also a mess, what I would love to do is re-write the whole engine to use the 3D hardware and have the game moddable by external graphics files and a scripting language for AI and gamerules.

If you're interested in an automap for your port I can provide the code/example how to do it.
It's pretty easy since the engine does most of the work for you :D
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/7137/amapwip3sf4.png