PDA

View Full Version : MPlayerWii - Native MPlayer port for the Wii

Pages : [1] 2

fcorbier
July 6th, 2008, 00:50
I just released MPlayerWii which is a native port of the MPlayer media player for the wii.

http://ronwarez.com/mplayerwii

formats tested
Containers: AVI, WMV, MKV, MP3, FLV (Flash Video), MP4, M4V, QuickTime
Video codecs: Xvid, DivX, Windows Media, MPEG 1/2, H264
Audio codecs: MPEG 1/2/3, Windows Media, AAC

Update 10/03/08:

v0.07
-fixed screen color depth/banding issues (uses code from dhewg's mplayer port)
-added progress bar osd display during seek/volume on videos

v0.06:
-huge speedup on USB devices (thanks to rodries and Hermes)
-added classic controller support to position and scale the video display

v0.05:
-added file folders support
-added fix for PAL widescreen users (set the correct setting in mplayerwii.conf)
-much faster USB reading speed (huge thanks to rodries)

v0.04:
-mount/unmount the SD card and/or USB drive so you can swap them out without reloading MPlayerWii (thanks to rodries)
-added USB read-ahead cache (thanks to rodries)
-added preliminary samba network share support (thanks to scip)
-fixed startup crash when a usblan or usb keyboard is attached
-added network streaming cache
-added video scaling with the nunchuk (use joystick to move, Z button to stretch and C to reset)
-added configuration file (put in the SD root folder)
-new ascii logo by sensah

v0.03:
-happy french bastille day!
-added USB storage support (USB reading is dead slow unfortunately, only good for MP3 files)
-added volume controls (Up/Down buttons on the wiimote)
-added wiimote buttons repeat during playback
-added preliminary test network streaming (shoutcast and mms)
-longer filename display in the file selection screen
-fix for widescreen aspect ratio (uses the Wii display settings)
-more audio playback fixes

v0.02:
-added svenp's libfat patches (better read speed on SD cards)
-added pause button (A button on the wiimote)
-disabled MPlayer's error/status text during video playback
-file list now displays 20 files instead of 10
-improved audio playback code

installation
- unzip the package into the "apps" folder on your SD card.
- place video and audio files on the root folder of your SD card.
- launch MPlayerWii through the Homebrew Channel.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

____anders____
July 6th, 2008, 11:52
yay!
video playback:)

vicious1988
July 6th, 2008, 17:13
Wait, uncompressed AVI or divx/xvid?

fcorbier
July 6th, 2008, 17:24
divx/xvid AVI files will play just fine. I haven't really tried H264 playback yet but that *should* work as well.

WMV files have been reported to play too.

whYeNQue
July 6th, 2008, 21:58
nice.
hope to see CD/DVD support soon.

is there AC3 support?

well i hope to see support for the codecs in CCCP, I will be very happy.

Good Luck!

PeyeRate420
July 7th, 2008, 04:21
i just played a high quality 700MB avi with this and it played without a single flaw from start to finish. I would just like to say this is a blessing to the end user and thank you for such an amazing application (I am very impressed!)

the good:
amazing quality and supports many formats that all play with ease couldnt ask for a smoother media solution :)

The things that could make this better:
naturally a GUI that goes without say (yet i say it doh...lol) and i was thinking what if you could hook up a USB based external HDD to play your media from! imagine that would fill the void/lack of media on the wii!

(they sell cheap at bestbuy 90$ for a 300 GB western digital external hard drive i use one for my 360's media actually)

all in all i would be happy if this were the only release! this application is just an amazing contribution to a ever growing wii homebrew scene gr8 work i will be watching this close as it matures! :)

Shapyi
July 7th, 2008, 05:14
Great work. Getting a direct port of MPlayer is just one step towards getting XBMC on Wii one day. I hope you continue this project :)

ciper
July 7th, 2008, 08:12
I'm going to be one of those annoying people who asks for new features while the product is still young -

CIFS support would be extremely useful!

m_jay
July 7th, 2008, 08:22
Man, thanks for the contribution to the scene! I'd like to say that subtitle fucntion is the most desired feature I'd like to see in the next realse. I just can't wait for it!

m_jay
July 7th, 2008, 08:24
Also are you considering to include the realmedia support?

11azrael
July 7th, 2008, 11:05
Just add subtitles
and woaou

whYeNQue
July 7th, 2008, 12:01
how does it handle HD video?

lets say it is 1080 or 720, then what happens, does it downscale?

WizardOfOdd
July 7th, 2008, 12:58
Cool!

Does anyone know of a homebrew app which will allow me to stream media (mainly video) from my PC to my Wii, similar to how I can on my 360 over my wireless network?

Thanks!

WiiBoe
July 7th, 2008, 13:58
very cool tonight i test it.. now usb storange or DVD drive

catapult37
July 7th, 2008, 16:09
This is great! Add wifi support and I will love you forever.

fcorbier
July 7th, 2008, 18:00
Also are you considering to include the realmedia support?

This is very doubtful it'll ever happen. Real media support is done in Mplayer (and XBMC) by directly calling the Real video DLLs. And since the Wii is PowerPC based, this is not going to happen for a very long time.

fcorbier
July 7th, 2008, 18:03
how does it handle HD video?

lets say it is 1080 or 720, then what happens, does it downscale?

I haven't tried HD video yet. The video should be downscaled but I don't think the current version will be optimized enough to smoothly play 720p or 1080p.

sheridan2000
July 7th, 2008, 21:38
a great start...video a little jerky but plays ok on my pal wii. this is as others have said a start to replace my xbmc.

willwinuk
July 8th, 2008, 02:09
Great so far :)

p.s how do you pause?

____anders____
July 8th, 2008, 17:35
the next thing should be subtitle support imo..

what's a video player without subtitle support?

sheridan2000
July 9th, 2008, 12:26
version 2 a little better but still a bit jerky...also sound now seems to bit a little lower than before almost as if its been muted a little. need to turn up volume more on TV........picture does not quite stretch fully across my wide screen tv about 2Cms black bar on either side.

liquitt
July 9th, 2008, 13:12
i'm getting the "Exception (DSI) occurred" error :(

everything else works fine...just mplayer doesn't

fcorbier
July 9th, 2008, 15:32
i'm getting the "Exception (DSI) occurred" error :(

everything else works fine...just mplayer doesn't

Any particular type of file you're getting this error or all of them?

liquitt
July 9th, 2008, 16:39
right when i'm trying to start the program

fcorbier
July 9th, 2008, 17:21
right when i'm trying to start the program

When you get that exception screen, there's a stack dump displayed on the screen. It looks like 2 lines of "80006df8 --> 8000446c --> 8001a4a4".

Can you copy those lines here so I can see where it crashes?

liquitt
July 9th, 2008, 17:35
i made a photo which is, in my opinion very good to read

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5562/09072008hk1.th.jpg (http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=09072008hk1.jpg)

fcorbier
July 9th, 2008, 18:24
Thanks for the pic. Do you have any USB device attached to the Wii? Can you try removing them?

Even though USB support isn't in MPlayerWii yet, it scans for USB devices at startup and it seems to crash in there.

lost101
July 9th, 2008, 18:56
Great app, thank you so much.

Gawker
July 9th, 2008, 21:12
This is a stupid post because for one thing I'm a lurk most of the time and for another I haven't tried this yet but I HAVE to say kudos man. Keep working on it and thanks for contributing to the homebrew scene.

liquitt
July 9th, 2008, 22:39
that did the trick!!! i had a usb keyboard attached to it

thanks man!

kwijiboWII
July 9th, 2008, 22:55
Great work mate! Works well. Thanks for the hard work!

This might be a very stupid question but I have a widescreen (16:9) TV and the aspect ratio is all out of wack. Is there any way to correct this?

fellipepb07
July 9th, 2008, 23:32
Great Player! it played lost so smoothly!
please improve the design later! use your time to include subtitles!
thx!!!!

Grey Acumen
July 9th, 2008, 23:41
I'd like to start off by thanking you for bringing this to the Wii. It's exactly what I needed and is the perfect compliment to my "slim-PS2-as-a-DVD-player" setup.

Despite the fact that this is only build 0.02, this is working incredibly well and I've had no crashes or anything like that.

Do have a few minor issues though:

.AVI files seem to have issues playing. Either I experience some severe slowdown or the image has about 60% of the screen as random squares of color, and the part that is actually watchable only seems to update for the first minute. The slowdown occurs with AVI files that I recorded using FRAPPS. AVI files that get the pixel blocks were made from FLVs using ZAMZAR to convert them. I don't really have any other AVI files to test out how they play.

.FLV either plays perfectly, or it plays with the image twisted around the screen. It looks like every line starting from the top is offset 1 square to the left of the line above it.(dunno how many pixels this "square" would equate to, but it's fairly uniform the whole way down) whatever part of the line goes offscreen ends up wrapping around to the right side of the screen, so you end up with what looks like three diagonal stripes of video playing that run from top right to bottom left.
This occurs most commonly with FLV files that have had subtitles applied to them. However even though the files end up distorted, the subtitles still show up, though they end up distorted the same way.
Even though this is most common with subtitled FLVs, this isn't true for ALL subtitled FLVs. So it may actually be unrelated to that.

I hope that will help with I'll check what the particular file properties are if someone tells me what to look for and how.

Now for my "most wanted features list"

1) File organization - nothing huge, I just don't like having to put all the videos on the root of my SD card. I'd like to be able to put my music files and video files in separate folders, maybe create folders to allow me to segregate up videos that belong to the same series.
It'd also be nice if you allowed support for cameras so that you could access the folders that cameras store videos in and watch them directly.

2) Subtitle Support: the other's who have posted this are right, subtitles would be nice for this type of thing

3) Internal Volume Control: sure, I can use the TV remote to do this, but I've already got the Wii remote in my hands, just attach volume up and volume down to the - and + buttons. I realize it's not as simple to do as just that, but it'd really be nice. In order to hear any of the videos I run, I have to turn my TV volume way up, and then when I get back to the Wii main menu, it's practically ear splitting.

4) Play videos in series: right now, if you reach the end of the video, it either plays it back over again, or boots you out of the video back to the selection screen. Any chance of having videos in the same folder being counted as a series so it'll play through everything in the folder before starting back at the beginning?
Playlists could also be made easy by providing support for the player to access files via shortcuts. just dump all your videos and music into one folder and then make separate folders with just teh shortcuts to those files in them to create your playlists.

That's all I can think of to improve that. I mean, sure, it'd be nice to update the music player with a little visual support, and maybe have a graphics interface and timer for the player that pops up when you press the 1 or 2 buttons, but that's all gravy.

Hopefully this all didn't come across as being greedy and demanding. I'm just trying to offer some feedback and encouragement on this project. I really like what it's already done, and I really like where it's headed. If I can get those issues I mentioned addressed, it'll pretty much clinch this as THE must have homebrew application for the Wii, for me at least.

EDIT: Oh, and just in case it matters, I'm running this on a standard CRT monitor in NTSC region.

duy64
July 10th, 2008, 05:05
I have over scan problem since my TV is not a LCD so my subtitle for my animes are off the screen is there gonna be an option in the future which solve this problem ?

wichoxp
July 10th, 2008, 06:52
Fantastic media player :thumbup: ! ...

I already tested v0.02 and I got these bugs:

When you play an MPEG-2 file, many "blocks" appears on the screen and the playback is too fast :( ...

Here's an screenshot of the problem:
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3003/blockyye6.jpg

tippern
July 10th, 2008, 08:14
this is AMAZING. great work coder!!!!
divx, h.264 look incredible and smooth.
plus, this blows my mind more than anything, .flac files play great!!!!
flac support on the wii !!! this is insane. show me a donation button, i will gladly donate cuz this sh*t rules.

scognito
July 10th, 2008, 08:52
Didn't tried, but subtitles should work, just rename them to the same name of the video:
* mymovie.avi
* mymovie.srt

m_jay
July 10th, 2008, 09:22
Hey man, haven't you ever thought of bringing the file browsing function to the app? It's just like a mess to put all the media files at the root of the SD card:(

lost101
July 10th, 2008, 14:23
Didn't tried, but subtitles should work, just rename them to the same name of the video:
* mymovie.avi
* mymovie.srt

Does not work for me.

el_senator
July 10th, 2008, 21:34
Thank you very much for working on this fcorbier. I've been waiting for an MPlayer based app for Wii ever since i bought it, so this is really, really good news.

Great job so far. :)

m_jay
July 11th, 2008, 02:34
Hi fcorbier, I've just noticed that your app is the best player on video playback speed (merely few lag/fast seeking) so far. However, the image is not as good as "geexbox" casuse I can see lots of color blocks clearly (sorry if I make you confused since I don't know how to say)...

Well, I'd rather say your app is running at 16bit color but not 32bit??? Also the so-called "debolck" function is not included???

MajinVegeta2
July 11th, 2008, 12:05
Wow, a great app. In early development, but really good so far! Tested a bit:

AVI, XviD, MP3, 24fps: perfect
AVI, WMV9, MP3, 120fps: perfect (what I didn't expect)
MKV, x264, 2x AAC, VFR: crash
MKV, x264, AAC, 30fps: audio plays, video plays a few secs, then stops for a few sec. Starts for a few sec, stops again and then crash
AVI, WMV9, MP3, 24fps, 720p: weird video, crash after a few sec.
FLAC, 2ch, 44,1kHz: displays "4 bytes of audio data lost due to buffer overflow" now and then... but plays fine
AAC, 2ch, 44,1kHz: black screen at all modes (LC-AAC, HE-AAC, HEv2-AAC)
MP3, 2ch, 44,1kHz, VBR: same as FLAC + displays "128 kbps" which is wrong cause its VBR ~140 kbps

Keep up the good work!

Only (not codec related) bug so far: audio is cut off a bit everytime you pause, so the video speeds up to reach the audio.

davidw89
July 11th, 2008, 14:50
So everything is cool except for subtitle support?

qwerty11
July 11th, 2008, 18:15
This is an absolutely AWESOME home brew app.

Thanks for bringing us this, i can now watch full movies, cartoons etc etc just by slappin them straight on my SD card...

no need to spend ages to convert or burn anymore.

Oh and don't listen to those who want a new "GUI" it doesn't need one, i think that's part of its charm. Its a video/mp3 player its not a full blown flashy piece of crap media center that hardly plays any formats.

once again thanks!!!

The only thing I want now is someone to make a MPLAYER channel :-)

fcorbier
July 11th, 2008, 22:45
For those who have a widescreen TV set in 16:9 aspect ratio, could you test the following version and let me know if this fixes your aspect display problems?

I only have a 4:3 TV to test with here =/

Also, make sure the proper aspect ratio is set in the Wii dashboard configuration screen.

kwijiboWII
July 12th, 2008, 00:08
For those who have a widescreen TV set in 16:9 aspect ratio, could you test the following version and let me know if this fixes your aspect display problems?

Also, make sure the proper aspect ratio is set in the Wii dashboard configuration screen.

Ratio is perfect! Thank you very much for releasing this! I can't wait to see this project develop! Videos play very well. Finally we have a working media player for the Wii!

AshTR
July 12th, 2008, 03:23

Will this work on both 16:9 and 4:3 TVs? Because I swap my Wii between them and don't want to mess with it if this doesn't support both.

fcorbier
July 12th, 2008, 06:19
Will this work on both 16:9 and 4:3 TVs? Because I swap my Wii between them and don't want to mess with it if this doesn't support both.

Yes, the version I just posted works with both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios.

mandaxxxx
July 12th, 2008, 08:39
Oh and don't listen to those who want a new "GUI" it doesn't need one, i think that's part of its charm. Its a video/mp3 player its not a full blown flashy piece of crap media center that hardly plays any formats.

once again thanks!!!

The only thing I want now is someone to make a MPLAYER channel :-)
I´m with you this application don't need a GUI, it's more important the optimization and the utilization on a folder instead the SD root.

I'm test with this video and just work for a few seconds:

Format : MPEG-4
File size : 230 MiB
Duration : 25mn 0s
Overal bit rate : 1288 Kbps

Video
Format : AVC
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 10 frames
Duration : 24mn 59s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 981 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 6880 Kbps
Width : 848 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.101
Stream size : 175 MiB
Writing library : x264 core 54 svn-614M

Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 25mn 0s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 304 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 391 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 54.4 MiB
Language : Japanese

And thanks this homebrew rocks!!!!!

yeahyeah2002
July 12th, 2008, 08:41
very smooth in playing flv and mp3,good work!
will it be support dvd rom later?
it's great if we can burn some avi or mp3 to the disc

lost101
July 12th, 2008, 21:15
WMV 720p Trailers from gametrailers.com crash the player.

AshTR
July 13th, 2008, 07:27
WMV 720p Trailers from gametrailers.com crash the player.

The Wii only outputs at 480i or 480p. Just use the SD versions and convert to DivX using Dr. DivX (http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX) and you should be good to go. (Not very time-consuming even on a slower machine.)

mop666
July 13th, 2008, 10:21
Hi,

i finally found some time to have a look at your mplayer port (i tried the same thing a few months ago and failed greatly :P). Seems to work like a charm for me except that it seems to crash a lot when you start seeking in the stream but that's ok for now ;) didn't see any crash so far when i omitted seeking. Great job.

But i found that it is currently limited to sd card playing which is NOT acceptable for a lazy person like me. So i had a look at the code and even increased the mess you did :P as a result it seems as if i enabled http streaming \o/

This seems to work ok. For some reason i had to disable caching (didn't dig into that yet). That's why it is probably a bit slow at some points. But anyway it seems to work and i finally could watch movies without moving \o/

The problem: You can't browse your files as it would be possible with CIFS support :| So you need an explicit location. I wondered how to enter a location in your UI without having a keyboard. Thought about libosk but that's C++ and i am not sure if that's a way you want to go.

For testing purposes i hardcoded the location in your tunelist to my linux computer ;)

Attaching files here in this forum is a mess. It keeps telling me that it exceeds my quota.

Patches can be found here:

http://wiibrew.org/w/images/5/5c/Mplayerwii-http-streaming-patches.zip

Beware: My C is far away from being perfect ;) And you will have to modify the Makefile to point to your devkitppc again

The network initialisation was stolen from ftpii. Just copy/paste ;)

fcorbier
July 13th, 2008, 15:59
Hi,

i finally found some time to have a look at your mplayer port (i tried the same thing a few months ago and failed greatly :P). Seems to work like a charm for me except that it seems to crash a lot when you start seeking in the stream but that's ok for now ;) didn't see any crash so far when i omitted seeking. Great job.

But i found that it is currently limited to sd card playing which is NOT acceptable for a lazy person like me. So i had a look at the code and even increased the mess you did :P as a result it seems as if i enabled http streaming \o/

This seems to work ok. For some reason i had to disable caching (didn't dig into that yet). That's why it is probably a bit slow at some points. But anyway it seems to work and i finally could watch movies without moving \o/

The problem: You can't browse your files as it would be possible with CIFS support :| So you need an explicit location. I wondered how to enter a location in your UI without having a keyboard. Thought about libosk but that's C++ and i am not sure if that's a way you want to go.

For testing purposes i hardcoded the location in your tunelist to my linux computer ;)

Attaching files here in this forum is a mess. It keeps telling me that it exceeds my quota.

Patches can be found here:

http://wiibrew.org/w/images/5/5c/Mplayerwii-http-streaming-patches.zip

Beware: My C is far away from being perfect ;) And you will have to modify the Makefile to point to your devkitppc again

The network initialisation was stolen from ftpii. Just copy/paste ;)

Awesome! I was actually looking into adding simple HTTP streaming next. Don't worry about the cleanliness of your changes, I'll look into them and clean that up :)

For the location of the HTTP streams, I think an easy config file on the SD card will do fine.

buvk
July 13th, 2008, 21:03
not sure if this has been reported yet, but i was watching a standard xvid dvdrip last night, and the movie was cut short by about 10 minutes. i checked out the video on my computer, and it was fine.

Monkeyface66
July 14th, 2008, 03:02
i was watching a standard xvid dvdrip last night, and the movie was cut short by about 10 minutes.

This happened to me, too!

I was watching a 115min video file and the player just stopped at minute ~100.

Afterwards, I just played the file again and seeked to the same position -> It stopped again.

Maybe a fragmentation problem :confused:

-------------

Another issue I encountered: (which could be a general issue with homebrew, I don't know..)

I have a PAL standard TV with a PAL Wii.

When I set the Wii into 60 Hz mode, the whole output of MPlayer is stretched vertically! :(

People in videos have "coneheads" and I can hardly read the title "MPlayer 0.02...." in the main menu. (+ the text at the bottom)

In 50 Hz mode, there are no issues at all! Perfectly fine :)

Any explanations?

Gliz9
July 14th, 2008, 03:55
You do realize that PAL is meant to run at 50hz right? NTSC is the one that runs at 60hz

"...The term PAL is often used informally to refer to a 625-line/50 Hz..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

fcorbier
July 14th, 2008, 07:58
Updated to v0.03:
-happy french bastille day!
-added USB storage support (USB reading is dead slow unfortunately, only good for MP3 files)
-added volume controls (Up/Down buttons on the wiimote)
-added wiimote buttons repeat during playback
-longer filename display in the file selection screen
-fix for widescreen aspect ratio (uses the Wii display settings)
-more audio playback fixes

warfab
July 14th, 2008, 08:39
@fcorbier: Great update! Keep up the good work.

rodries
July 14th, 2008, 08:48
hello
I've done a very little change to activate cache on usb. The problem is that you only can activate one cache, it's odd but with mplayer if you activate cache for sd and for usb the system crash, this only happen with mplayer. So the fix it's activate the cache when you select the play device.
I remount the fat partition, so yo can change your sd card or your usb pendrive and reload the files.

With or without cache, usb is slow.

Sorry about my english, I'm spanish.
http://www.mediafire.com/?yztodqpywmn

fcorbier and mop666: Great work!

fcorbier
July 14th, 2008, 09:21
hello
I've done a very little change to activate cache on usb. The problem is that you only can activate one cache, it's odd but with mplayer if you activate cache for sd and for usb the system crash, this only happen with mplayer. So the fix it's activate the cache when you select the play device.
I remount the fat partition, so yo can change your sd card or your usb pendrive and reload the files.

Thanks! I'll apply your patch for the next version.

Flark
July 14th, 2008, 13:07
Hello. I am having display issues with your mplayer port. I have entered a bug report into the wiibrew wiki page for the homebrew channel, since the HBC also exhibits the exact same display problem as your mplayer port.

You can read about the issue here:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel/Bugs#Display_Problems

The problem is present in all 3 versions of mplayerwii.

Thankyou for the time you have put into porting. :thumbup:

WiiCrazy
July 14th, 2008, 22:47
First of all, thanks for the nice port, it's great!

Compilation with the latest devkitpro failed with two errors and I was only able to compile when I commented two lines out.

these two,
if(!fatSetDefaultInterface(PI_USBSTORAGE))

fatEnableReadAhead(PI_INTERNAL_SD, 64, 32768/512);

first line complains with the PI_USBSTORAGE is not defined. and the next line can't find the fatEnableReadAhead function.

Probably I need to change the makefile but how? :)

Anyway, commenting the above lines I was able to change the testing shoutcast server address, compile and run. it plays the shoutcast streaming smoothly :)

I was not lucky with the mms streaming though. What should be the specification of the streamed video? ( I tested using vlc with different formats, no success )

cf2
July 14th, 2008, 23:59
Hi, would just like to say thanks for all your hard work on this piece of homebrew. It's amazing.

Secondly, seeing as the program scans for a USB device at the start...I use an unofficial USB to ethernet connector to connect to the net on my wii. But if this is plugged in the program just gives me the "Exception (DSI) occurred" however if I unplug the connector, load the program then plug it in again. It works fine streaming the audio from the net. Any chance of a fix for this?

If not it's fine, it's not too much hassle having to unplug it to use such a great piece of software.

Also will it be possible in the future to run video from a usb device at full speed? Is it just a matter of getting the coding right?

EDIT: Something to note, if I plug both a USB storage device in at the same time as my ethernet to USB connector the program loads fine and streams audio fine. If that's any help.

fcorbier
July 15th, 2008, 02:03
First of all, thanks for the nice port, it's great!

Compilation with the latest devkitpro failed with two errors and I was only able to compile when I commented two lines out.

these two,
if(!fatSetDefaultInterface(PI_USBSTORAGE))

fatEnableReadAhead(PI_INTERNAL_SD, 64, 32768/512);

Yeah, that's normal. You need the latest CVS version of libogc/libfat with the patches for the read-ahead cache available on the devkitpro sourceforge patches page:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=114505&atid=668553

I was not lucky with the mms streaming though. What should be the specification of the streamed video? ( I tested using vlc with different formats, no success )

mms streaming is very experimental for now. I need to enable the cache in mplayer for it in order to work properly and smoothly.

fcorbier
July 15th, 2008, 02:18
Hi, would just like to say thanks for all your hard work on this piece of homebrew. It's amazing.

Secondly, seeing as the program scans for a USB device at the start...I use an unofficial USB to ethernet connector to connect to the net on my wii. But if this is plugged in the program just gives me the "Exception (DSI) occurred" however if I unplug the connector, load the program then plug it in again. It works fine streaming the audio from the net. Any chance of a fix for this?

If not it's fine, it's not too much hassle having to unplug it to use such a great piece of software.

Yeah, I need to fix the bug in libogc. That should be in the next version.

Also will it be possible in the future to run video from a usb device at full speed? Is it just a matter of getting the coding right?

Not sure, sven (who wrote the usb code in libfat/libogc) said the Wii apparently supports only USB1.1 and that slow reading speed is there to stay.

So it's not a bug in the MPlayerWii code. But maybe eventually someone will provide a faster usb implementation, maybe with the new hacked firmwares, who knows...

cf2
July 15th, 2008, 05:04
Thanks for answering me :). Keep this program going, it's my fave homebrew so far!

wichoxp
July 15th, 2008, 05:11
Fantastic v0.03 Update :thumbup: ! ...

Now, I can play MPEG-2 files @ 3600Kbps perfectly, without the blocky images :D ! ...

By the way, could you add some option for stretch 4:3 videos on a widescreen? ... that would be nice :) !

Mini Moose
July 15th, 2008, 08:49
This is amazing! I love watching Sailor Moon on my Wii now!

But do you think that it might be possible to include a feature to adjust the "screen" position? Cause most standard CRT television sets "cut-off" a portion of the sides on the screen. Cause I'm having a difficult time trying to read subtitles on my videos. XD

I know that this is a port of a media player that didn't have this kind of feature. I was just curious to know if that it might be possible to include this...

alkalinetb
July 15th, 2008, 09:49
Great app. It awesome how so many people are colaborating to help fcorbier add these features. Keep it up!

m_jay
July 15th, 2008, 10:17
Hey fcorbier, did you notice my post on the image quality???

Flark
July 15th, 2008, 10:43
do you think that it might be possible to include a feature to adjust the "screen" position? Cause most standard CRT television sets "cut-off" a portion of the sides on the screen. Cause I'm having a difficult time trying to read subtitles on my videos. XD

I know that this is a port of a media player that didn't have this kind of feature. I was just curious to know if that it might be possible to include this...

Oh you mean a 'crop' feature during playback. So that you can crop the video playback to a given aspect ratio that fits better for fullscreen. VLC has this... and yes, mplayer does not have that feature to my knowledge. However, it DOES have the option to set the aspect ratio before playback. It can even be set in the config file, along with most command line options.

Config file support would seem to be the next logical step, particularly when dealing with subtitles and multiple audio tracks.

Also, fcorbier, I would like to know if you missed my previous post or if you read it? That's all. I just want to verify that you are at the very least aware of it if nothing more. Thanks. :)

fcorbier
July 15th, 2008, 14:36
I read most of the posts. If I don't answer, it's probably because I don't know how to fix it.

Since the code is available, you could ask someone who knows better about Wii hardware to take a look at it and/or fix it.

emsef
July 15th, 2008, 14:45
This is awesome! Well done.

How can I go about helping you create a better user interface? I can create all the graphics for you.

Hopefully this is only the beginning? I am currently using SMS to stream movies from my computer to my PS2, but would prefer to use my Wii because of the better video quality.

I've tried it with an MP3, AVI (XviD) and a H.264 M4V that I made for my iPod Touch. It played them all really well, though it ignored the subtitle track on the M4V.

Also, I'd like to see:
embedded and external subtitle support
screen positioning and stretching/zoom
network support (samba?)
file browser/selector

Thanks again

Monkeyface66
July 15th, 2008, 15:33
fcorbier, the aspect ratio issue on SDTVs got worse now with v0.03!

I'm viewing a 624x352 avi file.

In PAL 60 Hz mode (480i), the image is stretched vertically a little bit, so that people have "coneheads, eggheads".

In PAL 50 Hz mode (576i), the image is squezed vertically, so that people have round faces now!

:(:(

fcorbier
July 15th, 2008, 16:33
fcorbier, the aspect ratio issue on SDTVs got worse now with v0.03!

I'm viewing a 624x352 avi file.

In PAL 60 Hz mode (480i), the image is stretched vertically a little bit, so that people have "coneheads, eggheads".

In PAL 50 Hz mode (576i), the image is squezed vertically, so that people have round faces now!

:(:(

Sorry, no idea how to fix your problem. I only have a NTSC SD here and the ratio is fine. Tried with different video files?

Mini Moose
July 15th, 2008, 18:18
Oh you mean a 'crop' feature during playback. So that you can crop the video playback to a given aspect ratio that fits better for fullscreen. VLC has this... and yes, mplayer does not have that feature to my knowledge. However, it DOES have the option to set the aspect ratio before playback. It can even be set in the config file, along with most command line options.

Config file support would seem to be the next logical step, particularly when dealing with subtitles and multiple audio tracks.

Oh!! Okay, I understand. [:

Cause I only need to adjust it a little bit. (about 3/4 of an inch upwards)

mop666
July 15th, 2008, 19:31

Also, fcorbier, I would like to know if you missed my previous post or if you read it? That's all. I just want to verify that you are at the very least aware of it if nothing more. Thanks. :)

erm to my knowledge mplayer should have way more features than vlc ;) mplayer is older than vlc and the devs are concentrating on features instead of useless UIs :D

mplayer has a -vf options to apply video filters (though i never used or at least never had to use them on linux)

the mplayer wii stuff doesn't do much more than executing the "real" mplayer with a fixed argument list so if you know a bit of C you should be able to apply all the video filters (including crop as far as i know) (check http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html). Although i never tested that and you might of course encounter errors on the wii and it might even be unsupported currently. If you know a bit of C just test it ;)

Flark
July 15th, 2008, 22:07
mplayer has a -vf options to apply video filters (though i never used or at least never had to use them on linux)

oh. me neither, obviously. :p

to my knowledge mplayer should have way more features than vlc ;) mplayer is older than vlc and the devs are concentrating on features instead of useless UIs :D

that's one of the reasons I like it so much. have you tried Pymp? It has a simple editor for the mplayer config file combined with a cute minimal playlist style interface (you can drag and drop files into it) which simply launches mplayer. Very useful for both music and video. http://jdolan.dyndns.org/trac/wiki/Pymp

the mplayer wii stuff doesn't do much more than executing the "real" mplayer

yup.

so if you know a bit of C you should be able to apply all the video filters (including crop as far as i know) (check http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/index.html). Although i never tested that and you might of course encounter errors on the wii and it might even be unsupported currently. If you know a bit of C just test it ;)

I might give it a try one of these days. Thanks. But... I hope I won't need to once mplayerwii is matured.

Flark
July 16th, 2008, 06:18
I just wanted to add that if you have a widescreen and you want to change the aspect ratio, you can change it from the wii settings from widescreen to standard. This will make it so that standard def. videos are stretched to fill the display on a widescreen.

It is a silly solution but it does work since as fcorbier pointed out, mplayerwii is now using the wii display settings. Some people might not like it though since it can be an annoyance to see people's heads stretched horizontally. :rofl:

wiinout
July 16th, 2008, 09:49
Hello!

i'm using mplayer since version 001, thank you for this great port!

for me (pal wii, pal tv), aspect ratio in 50hz mode is correct now :-) (coneheads in 002)

my bugreport for version 003 (wad):

- i can't play any videofiles bigger than 600 or 700mb (crashes before playing anything), doesn't matter if avi mp4 mkv or xvid h64 mpg. tried fat 16 and fat32 on sd card. (was the same in 002 for me)
now i use easy video splitter :-D

- i can't quit to system menu (crashes)

Please keep up your great work! can't wait for 004 ;-)

11azrael
July 16th, 2008, 11:47
another bug report from me a little one
If you load a movie plays a little push home button and load again the same movie then crush.

Add Subtitles

regystro
July 16th, 2008, 11:55
Thank you very much for such an amazing piece of code.

My Wii is set to 60Hz (PAL CRT TV), so games run smooth and clear, but I get screen tearing while watching videos. Switching to 50Hz does the trick, but it's kinda tedious to change Wii's config everytime I want to use MplayerWii

Is there any chance to switch to 50Hz when a PAL file is detected? Or make a config file where we could force it to 50-60Hz as needed... (thinking of the same INI file we could use for HTTP settings, hehe)

Thank you, and keep the good work :)

-[ Reg

WiiCrazy
July 16th, 2008, 20:40
Yeah, that's normal. You need the latest CVS version of libogc/libfat with the patches for the read-ahead cache available on the devkitpro sourceforge patches page:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=114505&atid=668553

Did the libfat patch yet failed with the usbstorage patch. I couldn't find the one that patches against the HEAD branch. Anyway, I'll give it another go tonight. On failure I'll be begging for the header files and binaries of patched libogc here :)

wichoxp
July 17th, 2008, 02:11
How about to make an option for switch between the old display settings (v0.02 and v0.01) and the new video settings (v0.03) ?... that would be a solution for stretch the 4:3 videos on a widescreen :cool: !

rodries
July 17th, 2008, 08:02
wiicrazy,
you can find here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=114505&atid=668553 the patches from sven
http://svenpeter.blogspot.com/search/label/USB
mplayer is using this patches
Using libfat from cvs
in libfat root (where Makefile is) this is the rigth order to apply the patches
patch -p1 < 0001-added-the-possibility-to-use-a-readahead-cache-that.patch
patch -p1 < libfat-corruption-fix.patch
patch -p1 < libfat-usbstorage.patch

to install:
make wii-release
make ogc-install

works fine to me

Romano [FR]
July 17th, 2008, 08:30
Salut fCorbier :)

Thanks for the release of the 14 july ! It's really cool to see a USB support. But i have a question, do you use the code of svpe for USB or is your own ? Cause i am scary to use a ntfs hard drive with mplayer...

And, another question (the last): does USB support will become useable with video in the future or does it stay too slow ?

Anyway, thanks and re-thanks for your great homebrew !! :thumbup:

rodries
July 17th, 2008, 09:15
romano,
the libfat-corruption-fix.patch blocks all drives that doesn't use fat16 o fat32.
If you try to use a ntfs drive it's not going to work, but it's safe.

rodries
July 17th, 2008, 17:18
fcorbier

sven has published a patch to fix the coredump problems when you run mplayer with an usb keyboard or usblan connected.

http://svpe.doesntexist.com/~svpe/pub/0001-fixed-some-free-corruption-bugs-in-the-usbstorage.patch

have you meassured the speed of libfat?

when you execute mplayer on console from wii linux on a usb drive the film play fine
The usb speed problem may be on libfat or in your port of mplayer.
The actual speed of usb-wii is about 2Mb/s that is enough to play avi files.
I'll try to test the libfat speed, but I don't have my wii now. I'll do the test the next week.

WiiCrazy
July 17th, 2008, 22:41
wiicrazy,
you can find here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=114505&atid=668553 the patches from sven
http://svenpeter.blogspot.com/search/label/USB
mplayer is using this patches
Using libfat from cvs
in libfat root (where Makefile is) this is the rigth order to apply the patches
patch -p1 < 0001-added-the-possibility-to-use-a-readahead-cache-that.patch
patch -p1 < libfat-corruption-fix.patch
patch -p1 < libfat-usbstorage.patch

to install:
make wii-release
make ogc-install

works fine to me

Thanks a lot, it worked flawlessly :)
I was completely in a wrong route, I was trying to patch the libogc module not the libfat. I was mistaken since there is no libfat folder in libogc\include folder :)

Thanks again!

supercard_lover
July 17th, 2008, 23:16
Thanks a lot, it worked flawlessly

Erm... not for me it didn't... and I've been trying for several hours now.

wiicrazy, since you were able to successfully patch it, do you think you could upload the patched libfat binary?

fcorbier
July 18th, 2008, 01:31
Erm... not for me it didn't... and I've been trying for several hours now.

wiicrazy, since you were able to successfully patch it, do you think you could upload the patched libfat binary?

Here is my devkitPro/libogc folder so anyone can compile the latest mplayerwii without having to patch libogc/libfat:

http://ronwarez.com/mplayerwii/mplayer-libogc-20080717-bin.zip

This version has the fix for the USB keyboard/lan crash on startup.

Unzip this in your devkitPro folder (make a backup of your libogc beforehand just to be on the safe side)

supercard_lover
July 18th, 2008, 02:37
Thanks so much fcorbier!

rodries
July 19th, 2008, 09:26
I've done a little program to test the speed of libfat

The speed from libfat is 63kb/s => 0.5Mb/s

libfat speed is 4 times slower than the real speed.
There is a problem with usbstorage.c or libfat.

The speed from wiilinux is 250Kb/s => 2Mb/s

I reported to sven, but he doesn't know how to improve to speed. He is going to see usb driver from wiilinux to try to improve the speed, but do not expect it soon.

My little program to test the usb read speed.
http://www.mediafire.com/?nwh3f1ycjx1
Must exist a test.dat file on root on usb device.
With a 1Megabyte file is enough. You can stop the test at any moment.

fcorbier
August 1st, 2008, 02:13
v0.04 released which adds free resizing using the nunchuk and some preliminary windows SMB share support

sanderevers
August 1st, 2008, 14:37
Did you add the widescreen fix as found here: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/MPlayerWii#Unofficial_Versions

emsef
August 1st, 2008, 20:30
Thanks for 0.04

I'll test it with a large 700MB file and see what happens. Previous versions died with files that were that large.

cf2
August 1st, 2008, 23:12
Awesome! Thanks for the USB LAN fix. If you can get rid of the colour banding and make playing videos from a USB device full speed (is possible as shown by geexbox). Then this will be absolutely amazing =D.

I havn't tested playing video back from USB, as my mp3 player it at a friends. How's the speed to anyone that's tried?

Mini Moose
August 1st, 2008, 23:44
Yay! Thanks for the video scaling! I can perfectly see the subtitles now! [:

m_jay
August 2nd, 2008, 02:37
It's good to see progress. Waiting for the file brwsing function...

rodries
August 2nd, 2008, 10:06
Awesome! Thanks for the USB LAN fix. If you can get rid of the colour banding and make playing videos from a USB device full speed (is possible as shown by geexbox). Then this will be absolutely amazing =D.

I havn't tested playing video back from USB, as my mp3 player it at a friends. How's the speed to anyone that's tried?

read my last post (4 above)

There is a problem with libfat, is not a problem from mplayer.
geexbox use wiilinux so the usb speed is 4 times faster than libfat.

stefh
August 2nd, 2008, 10:31
8gb usb stick @ FAT32 doesn't come up. Also LED on the USB stick doesn't switch on when connected.
Anybody knows how this is possible?

Multi card reader with microSDHC 4GB @ FAT32 works but indeed slowly. LED of card reader turns on immediately when I connect it to the Wii.

WiiCrazy
August 2nd, 2008, 10:42
It seems the video quality is better in the last one (0.4) yet this time speed suffered.

And previously working shoutbox stream now doesn't work. It fills the buffer and within some milisecs. of play just crashes.

here is the address :
http://78.159.99.155:80/

emsef
August 2nd, 2008, 11:27
where do I put the conf file? (network options are not showing up for me)

thanks

11azrael
August 2nd, 2008, 12:03
where do I put the conf file? (network options are not showing up for me)

thanks

In Your Root Directory Of Your SDCARD :thumbup:

stefh
August 2nd, 2008, 12:29
now streaming movies from my computer.

Has somebody already managed to get smooth video playback? It seems wmv files stream the best. My computer is connected through LAN 10/100MBPS into my modem/router which sends it wirelessly over 54G to my Wii two rooms further in the appartement.
Too bad I can't get smooth playback. Wireless Signal is strong for the Wii.

Is there a bottleneck other then the program?

PS: I love the player. Runs smooth from SD card. Now waiting for a browsing/exploring function over network and for a solution too connect more GB's of video. It could become a great media center for videos in DVD quality.

emsef
August 2nd, 2008, 15:07
11azreal: thanks!

I have now got network settings, but have yet to play a video over the network. I get the initialisation message, but nothing after that?

Testing from SD card, some videos work some do not, this one does not: http://tinyurl.com/6nbzgg

11azrael
August 2nd, 2008, 17:32
11azreal: thanks!

I have now got network settings, but have yet to play a video over the network. I get the initialisation message, but nothing after that?

Testing from SD card, some videos work some do not, this one does not: http://tinyurl.com/6nbzgg

You Must Config The Conf file that file you copy in the root Directory of your SDCard.

There are two ways one with user and password look like this
stream = smb://user:[email protected]/a.avi

or

stream = smb://192.168.69.131/a.avi

The ip number must be the ip that wii get from your net.

Do not try under WiFi Have some delay and the video isn't smooth.
I don't know if it programming fault or it is the nature of Wifi.

fcorbier
August 2nd, 2008, 18:35

I think there's currently a bug with video files >700mb.

kwijiboWII
August 4th, 2008, 06:02
You Must Config The Conf file that file you copy in the root Directory of your SDCard.

There are two ways one with user and password look like this
stream = smb://user:[email protected]/a.avi

or

The ip number must be the ip that wii get from your net.

Do not try under WiFi Have some delay and the video isn't smooth.
I don't know if it programming fault or it is the nature of Wifi.

I have the same issue. The network initalises but then nothing happens.

I think your missing the share name here?

I have no passwords set to my share and can browse to the same share form any other windows PC. If I copy the path \\ip_address\share_name\file.avi in windows explorer the file opens just fine.

however the config file path smb://ip_address/share_name/file.avi does not work? Am I missing something stupid here?

Also the test mp3 stream works great so I know it's not a connection issue.

11azrael
August 4th, 2008, 06:25
I think your missing the share name here?

You can share the hole disk so the share name is the disk so you don't want share name just the start name of your file.

I Have the same Trouble With Files Larger Than 700 MB.

Hey Please in the Next version add Subtitles :D

Protoss
August 4th, 2008, 06:41
Wow, I was not expecting Wifi support! That was my main irk about all the current media center apps...Great work! Can't wait for SMB browsing support, that's the only thing I'm awaiting, since the interface is simple enough.

PS. Nice sample song :P

kaymyst
August 4th, 2008, 23:45
Hi,
thanks so much for the development of this soft, really looking forward to network support, unfortunately I get an Exception (SID) Occurred! when I move the cursor over the USB drive option, which means I can not reach my network share option.
Here is a screenshot:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/5540/image027gw2.th.jpg (http://img512.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image027gw2.jpg)

I got no USB stuff plugged in.
thanks
ciao

HCK91
August 5th, 2008, 19:30
Hi rOn! The latest 0.04 doesn' t work for me, can' t play MP4 AAC+ files which were nicely played on 0.03, I think you broke something, I just got my PAL Wii to crash with a code dump :\

Keep it up ;-)

fcorbier
August 5th, 2008, 20:53
kaymist: thanks for the crash dump, I think I fixed this issue for the next version.

kaymyst
August 6th, 2008, 00:48
kaymist: thanks for the crash dump, I think I fixed this issue for the next version.

oh nice one man you rock

emsef
August 6th, 2008, 12:02
I think there's currently a bug with video files >700mb.
Yes, there seems to be. I successfully played this video (699.83MB) last night: http://tinyurl.com/6onjjv

Watched using MPlayerWii, to contrast against my usual setup watching over SMS on my PStwo (http://home.casema.nl/eugene_plotnikov/).

MPlayerWii

PROS
- better picture fidelity viewing over component
- list of supported formats is great
- lip sync was correct

CONS
- picture is not filtered, so encoding artifacts are more visible
- minimal user interface/options/interaction
- picture does not extend to full width of screen
- bug with >700MB files

NOTES
- I cannot get SAMBA to work (Mac OS X or Windows XP) so was playing off front-SD

HCK91
August 6th, 2008, 12:15
fcobier are you aware of the AAC+ mp4 problem too? Should I paste the dump code?

fcorbier
August 7th, 2008, 23:10
fcobier are you aware of the AAC+ mp4 problem too? Should I paste the dump code?

Please do, it'll help me pinpoint where the problem is.

willwinuk
August 8th, 2008, 03:05
The only problem I have is that version 0.04 doe's not fit to screen by default.

davidw89
August 8th, 2008, 05:34
delete above spam please

Luciel
August 8th, 2008, 16:52
Hi ^^V

I'm not american...so sorry for my english...

well.. im trying to play a video in geexbox and the video don't run correctly...
this is the specification...

General #0
Complete name : Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_Renewal_01.mp4
Format : MPEG-4 version 1 / MPEG-4
Family : MPEG-4
File size : 69.8 MiB
PlayTime : 23mn 21s
Bit rate : 418 Kbps

Video #0
Codec : H.264
Info : H.264 (3GPP)
PlayTime : 23mn 20s
Bit rate : 2957 Kbps
Width : 720
Height : 528
Aspect ratio : 4/3
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.324
Size : 64255880

Audio #0
Codec : AAC LC
Bit rate : 49 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 24 KHz
StreamSize : 8503073

when i play the video run slooooooowly and then tha audio goes fast and its a mess...

i converted to a new mp4 h264 video with 640x480 size and then the video ran good... can be the size of the video? o.o

'coz it takes at least 1hour to convert, and i watch a 20 minutes video... anything that i can do? o.o

thanx ^^V:D

m1le5
August 10th, 2008, 17:26
kwijiboWII, I am having the same problem with smb support. After trying a few things, I eventually went with http instead as a workaround, and it works great. I haven't done this in a while on windows, but for mac users just turn on web sharing and drop the videos you want into your sites folder. Then you can edit the conf file to have a few entries like this, replacing ip address and username of course:

stream = http://ip-address/~username/movie.avi

It's a workaround, anyway. r0n, great job so far, looking forward to the next release!

folderol4
August 10th, 2008, 18:56
The SD card support is flawless. Couple this with ftpii and this is a decent solution.

The USB hard drive video support is not usable for me. Even with the USB read ahead cache the results seem to be bad. Smaller video files seem to run choppy longer before crashing than larger files. With that being said, all USB video files end up causing a core dump to the screen for me.

For now I will stick for SD card and ftpii, but I'm looking forward improved USB performance and >700MB fix. Keep up the good work!

rodries
August 10th, 2008, 19:22
The SD card support is flawless. Couple this with ftpii and this is a decent solution.

The USB hard drive video support is not usable for me. Even with the USB read ahead cache the results seem to be bad. Smaller video files seem to run choppy longer before crashing than larger files. With that being said, all USB video files end up causing a core dump to the screen for me.

For now I will stick for SD card and ftpii, but I'm looking forward improved USB performance and >700MB fix. Keep up the good work!

The USB speed problem is in libfat/libogc, I'm study the sources and I think the problem is in usbstorage.c but is hard to find it, I haven't a usbgecko to debug. I'm measuring the time in functions with gettick to find bottle neck, and seems the problem is in __cycle
Any help is appreciated, svenp is on holidays so I can't get help from him

type_theEND
August 10th, 2008, 19:49
Great program, yay!
Issues I've found:
Matroska (.MKV) files close after a few seconds, and always play in 4:3 even if they're widescreen

If you unplug the nunchuck from the wiimote, video goes a bit off-center

Suggestions for Future Releases:
Include Closed Captions (for formats such as MKV)

Put in some sort of file browser so you can put files wherever you want/make an option in the configuration for where you want your files. Seriously, the root of an SD card will get crowded. Also, when you implement this, you should also make sure it can look in hidden folders for the unlucky people with iPods who want to play their music on their Wii.

And a GUI would be nice too, but I'm fine with the text. You don't see it much anyway.

folderol4
August 11th, 2008, 02:44
I tried downloading the source linked out on the Wiibrew wiki but I only see a usbstorage.h. I don't see usbstorage.c.

I guess the issue is the data rate incoming through the libfat USB connection is not fast enough to properly double buffer the video/audio?

I wanted to add that way way down the line this could be somewhat close to an Apple TV. A fancy Apple TV menu would be outstanding.

rodries
August 11th, 2008, 08:42
I tried downloading the source linked out on the Wiibrew wiki but I only see a usbstorage.h. I don't see usbstorage.c.

I guess the issue is the data rate incoming through the libfat USB connection is not fast enough to properly double buffer the video/audio?

I wanted to add that way way down the line this could be somewhat close to an Apple TV. A fancy Apple TV menu would be outstanding.

usbstorage.c is in libogc/libogc is not in libfat (you must use last cvs from sourceforge)
The actual usb speed in libogc is 60kb/s => 0.5Mb/s but the real speed is 250kb/s => 2Mb/s (USB 1.1), in wiilinux you have 2Mb/s so geexbox works fine fine usb.

rodries
August 12th, 2008, 15:21
Finally I found the problem with USB.

At now I have 7Mb/s with my test.

And I optimized libfat to open the file faster, so mplayer begin to play inmediately, you don't have to wait to begin decompression.

My modifications has been done with my usb device so I recommend only use for reading and not for writting.

fcobier give me a email to send you my compiled vesion of libogc and libfat to do the test with mplayer. My email rodries_at_gmail_dot_com
If all works fine I'll comment to you my changes, but I prefer not to do public until sven come back from holidays, I'd like that sven review my changes, perhaps my changes are dangerous for writting.
Regards.

cf2
August 12th, 2008, 15:32
Sounding good rodries! Nice work.

rorrim
August 13th, 2008, 07:42
many thanx for the great app:D:D

I tried a video with this requirements

Type:MP4 file
Size: 99MB (209628990 bytes)
Media Length: 00:23:39
Video size: 852 x 480
Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 23.98fps
Audio: AAC 24000Hz stereo 768Kbps

and the sound is too grave and too slow

and the video looks like this:

well, not so ugly and with horizontal stripes

(IMG from wichoxp page 4:http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118838&page=4)

video don't run correctly...
this is the specification...
General #0
Complete name : Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_Renewal_01.mp4
Format : MPEG-4 version 1 / MPEG-4
Family : MPEG-4
File size : 69.8 MiB
Bit rate : 418 Kbps

Video #0
Codec : H.264
Info : H.264 (3GPP)
PlayTime : 23mn 20s
Bit rate : 2957 Kbps
Width : 720
Height : 528
Aspect ratio : 4/3
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.324
Size : 64255880

Audio #0
Codec : AAC LC
Bit rate : 49 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 24 KHz
StreamSize : 8503073

when i play the video run slooooooowly and then tha audio goes fast and its a mess...

i converted to a new mp4 h264 video with 640x480 size and then the video ran good... can be the size of the video? o.o

'coz it takes at least 1hour to convert, and i watch a 20 minutes video... anything that i can do? o.o

thanx ^^V:D

Maybe its the size cause mine is big too, and doesnt run

If its the size i suggest that in the new Version make big size video files playable hehe.. :)
Or if not what can i do to play this vid on my wii?:D

sorry for making a long post

Protoss
August 13th, 2008, 16:39
Should we expect libdi to be integrated into the next version of this mplayer? I'm sure since this port has a better foundation it'd be much less buggy.

rodries
August 13th, 2008, 20:08
Mplayer wit USB support
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=IN5DH7QU

DVD support in the next version, I need to relax, find the usb errors was too stress

folderol4
August 14th, 2008, 03:45
Wow very impressive, you deserve lots of rest. This new version of Mplayer with the USB fix works very well for me.

emsef
August 14th, 2008, 11:45
Here (http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/photos/guide-to-watching-dvds-on-wii/974712/) is a version of Mplayer with DVD support, and a nice front end. Not sure if it's as stable as this release

HCK91
August 14th, 2008, 14:15
Please do, it'll help me pinpoint where the problem is.

OK I' ll get the dump ASAP

fcorbier
August 15th, 2008, 06:28
v0.05 released with the USB speed improvements and file folders support. This version has better USB reading speed than the version rodries linked a few posts ago.

http://ronwarez.com/mplayerwii/

type_theEND
August 15th, 2008, 15:28
many thanx for the great app:D:D

I tried a video with this requirements

and the sound is too grave and too slow

and the video looks like this:

well, not so ugly and with horizontal stripes

(IMG from wichoxp page 4:http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118838&page=4)

Maybe its the size cause mine is big too, and doesnt run

If its the size i suggest that in the new Version make big size video files playable hehe.. :)
Or if not what can i do to play this vid on my wii?:D

sorry for making a long post

It can play large files, and 100MB is rather small for a video. I just watched a 700MB XViD of Hancock the other night, and it played quite nicely. However, it may be the video format. People, post if your TV is PAL (Europe) or NTSC (North America, Japan). They may have different glitches. Who knows, maybe this new version will fix it with better PAL support. Also, I'm pretty sure he said there was no mpeg4 video support somewhere in the readme.
Also, lawl, most people with problems are trying to watch anime XD

EDIT
Allright, new version has *gasp* FILE BROWSING! Yay! Anyways, Matroskas still don't work for me, and play in 4:3 regardless of their actual ratio, and only play for a few seconds before mplayer crashes. Now, all the ones I'm using have subtitles in them, which I don't think can be played, so that may be it. The videos are of a range of sizes (25-300MB, but all widescreen) and on an NTSC TV and Wii. So, I'd really love MKV support since then I could watch anime on my Wii without redownloading the xvid D=
But, yeah, file browsing is nice ^-^
Wait, filebrowsing isn't so nice. It won't show me files on my iPod. Am I doing it wrong? I've tried in both USB ports, and files show up fine on my PC. Is USB browsing implemented?

EDIT (Again)
Odd, it works fine with my flash drive, just not my iPod. They both work with standard USB mass storage drivers. Anyone know how to fix this? I'll test with an external hard drive later, when I find mine.

11azrael
August 15th, 2008, 18:00
please add subtitles in the next version :)

fcorbier
August 15th, 2008, 19:28
Odd, it works fine with my flash drive, just not my iPod. They both work with standard USB mass storage drivers. Anyone know how to fix this? I'll test with an external hard drive later, when I find mine.

MPlayerWii only supports FAT16 and FAT32 partitions. Maybe your ipod is formatted with NTFS or with OSX's native partition format?

iofthestorm
August 15th, 2008, 20:14
Grr, so this is separate from the Team Twiizers mplayer? You guys should merge your codebases and work together, that would make things simpler and then we'd get more features in one place.

Eviltaco64
August 15th, 2008, 20:34
Fcorbier, will this or could this run on Gamecube?
I only ask since its in a .dol format.

sanderevers
August 15th, 2008, 20:50

Yes I want that one as well :D Also you should try to add DVD playback for DVD video and DivX/XviD/etc from DVDs.

rodries
August 15th, 2008, 21:07
Yes I want that one as well :D Also you should try to add DVD playback for DVD video and DivX/XviD/etc from DVDs.

I'm working in modify libfat to add support to dvd but I have no much time, but I recommend you that use usb instead dvd. The wii dvd len is expensive and cheap dvd media may force the lens.

type_theEND
August 15th, 2008, 23:54

Lawl, it really does seem everyone wants this to watch anime XD

Remember though, it won't play mkv files very well so it doesn't matter D=

HCK91
August 16th, 2008, 00:07
Are .aac format AAC+ files working? I' ve got almost everything in that format and my slow PC would pack .mp4s in months...

type_theEND
August 16th, 2008, 03:15
iTunes AACs work fine for me, dunno if that's AAC+ though.

HCK91
August 16th, 2008, 12:37
@Eviltaco64: No it' doesn' t work on GC :-( DOL executables don' t belong to GC, even HBC uses "boot.dol" format ;-)

@Type_theEND: AAC+ format is known to work stripped into a .mp4 container, my question was about .aac extension format (no containers)...

type_theEND
August 16th, 2008, 17:02
MPlayerWii only supports FAT16 and FAT32 partitions. Maybe your ipod is formatted with NTFS or with OSX's native partition format?
Nope, FAT32. It just won't show up.

@Type_theEND: AAC+ format is known to work stripped into a .mp4 container, my question was about .aac extension format (no containers)...
Meh, give it a shot. Only takes a few seconds to put mplayer on your SD card along with a single song, right?

madmak55
August 17th, 2008, 05:01
Thanks, this is a great application

tippern
August 17th, 2008, 06:01
.flac files are playing great from my ext. usb, this is one of the things I wanted most, to get flacs to play over my stereo. I love you, thank you.

11azrael
August 17th, 2008, 18:27
Lawl, it really does seem everyone wants this to watch anime XD

Remember though, it won't play mkv files very well so it doesn't matter D=

Yes just make a team to Tell fcorbier how importan this is for us :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Starscream
August 17th, 2008, 22:15
Subtitles support would be good, I'd probaly switch then fromGeexbox to Mplayer. I just did a comparsion today, and this Mplayer port seems faster. On Geexbox the file I tried (h.264 video, res 640x480 and audio converted to mp3) drops frames, and this was notable to me.

PappaSpanx
August 18th, 2008, 08:33
Hello there. Huge fan from Denmark.

I have a problem. I can't "find" my USB Hdd. I can browse files on my SD Card, but when i choose USB it just say: PATH: and if i press the A button again it code dumps and freezes. I normally use GeeXboX, which has no problem detecting my harddrive. Am i doing something wrong?

rodries
August 18th, 2008, 16:43
the problem is in libogc, some usb devices are not detected.
you can test with this application.
http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=OHA6419Q
from sven blog to see if your usb device is supportted. Post the info from this application to see if I can fix it.

PappaSpanx
August 18th, 2008, 17:09
the problem is in libogc, some usb devices are not detected.
you can test with this application.
http://www.megaupload.com/de/?d=OHA6419Q
from sven blog to see if your usb device is supportted. Post the info from this application to see if I can fix it.

I see.

I tried the usbmss3.elf
It said that it would propably erase everything that isn't FAT.. My harddrive is NTFS, so i didn't dare running it.. Could that be why it didn't work?

fcorbier
August 18th, 2008, 17:16
My harddrive is NTFS, so i didn't dare running it.. Could that be why it didn't work?

Yep, MPlayerWii only supports FAT16/FAT32.

I guess it works in Geexbox because their linux kernel has some read support for NTFS.

PappaSpanx
August 18th, 2008, 17:20
Oh.. :(

Do you think it could be fixed in the future versions?

Thanks for sorting things out for me :)

rodries
August 18th, 2008, 19:18
Oh.. :(

Do you think it could be fixed in the future versions?

Thanks for sorting things out for me :)

Not near,
At now we only have libfat, but Erant is working (very slow) in a block device driver, so when he finish this work, dhweg or another master then steal eg. netbsd's code for filesystems
Then we'll have all filesystems that netbsd support, but this is the future.

PappaSpanx
August 18th, 2008, 20:47
I see : ) I'll wait with patience. Thanks again.

HCK91
August 18th, 2008, 20:52
OK I realized that .mp4 aac+ playback is broken as of 0.04 -_-
I got the dump here ASA the server is up again...

alienmind
August 18th, 2008, 21:24
Hi,

This is my first post. I've patched mplayerwii v0.05 to provide youtube support.

The main idea is that you can add mplayerwii.conf something like:

# WiiTube - videos embedded in a youtube link
youtube_cache = 1 # Will download the flv to SD
stream =
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si_2Kupo13c
stream = http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 07C1AE3241
stream = http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... &partner=1

First link is a direct video, second is a video play list and third is a custom example with the result of a search. The parser will follow the page looking for flv video references and calling mplayer to ordered play.

The youtube_cache = 1 will download each video as a temporary file in the SD before playing it, but I'm afraid it is not working properly (libfat rw support?)

This is a first version and has a lot of bugs (I know), but this is my first homebrew application and ... without usbgecko.. I'm waiting your comments!

The source code:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=3LBMOWR0

Binary:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=BOKLMB4J

Thanks!

type_theEND
August 18th, 2008, 21:37
Hi,

This is my first post. I've patched mplayerwii v0.05 to provide youtube support.

The main idea is that you can add mplayerwii.conf something like:

# WiiTube - videos embedded in a youtube link
youtube_cache = 1 # Will download the flv to SD
stream = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si_2Kupo13c
stream = http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 07C1AE3241
stream = http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... &partner=1

First link is a direct video, second is a video play list and third is a custom example with the result of a search. The parser will follow the page looking for flv video references and calling mplayer to ordered play.

The youtube_cache = 1 will download each video as a temporary file in the SD before playing it, but I'm afraid it is not working properly (libfat rw support?)

This is a first version and has a lot of bugs (I know), but this is my first homebrew application and ... without usbgecko.. I'm waiting your comments!

The source code:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=3LBMOWR0

Binary:
http://www.megaupload.com/es/?d=BOKLMB4J

Thanks!

I hate to ask, but what's the point? Internet Channel has youtube support, and while it's not free, near everyone with internet on their Wii has it.
Unless this will stream better, or give better quality, I'd much rather use the internet channel. I don't have to write down all the youtube URLs.

alienmind
August 18th, 2008, 21:43
The only point is that Internet Channel doesn't show the videos really fullscreen (the navigation bar remain), and I hate to prepare each video scrolling up and down, pausing each video, forwarding to the end, pressing "fullscreen". I feel more confortable to prepare my navigation as a playlist and watching all at once.

And of course, it was something funny to code.

type_theEND
August 18th, 2008, 21:45
About that, look in your Internet Channel options.
One word: Autohide.

PappaSpanx
August 18th, 2008, 21:48
The only point is that Internet Channel doesn't show the videos really fullscreen (the navigation bar remain), and I hate to prepare each video scrolling up and down, pausing each video, forwarding to the end, pressing "fullscreen". I feel more confortable to prepare my navigation as a playlist and watching all at once.

And of course, it was something funny to code.

You can set the navigation bar to "auto hide", then it works fine fullscreen.:thumbup:

type_theEND
August 18th, 2008, 22:10
Alien, I have an idea for another "funny" project to code.

Add MKV with subtitle support =D
BEAT THE DEVELOPER TO IT

alienmind
August 18th, 2008, 22:32
You can set the navigation bar to "auto hide", then it works fine fullscreen.:thumbup:

Yes, but the fullscreen video plays on top of the windowed video. I have to pause the windowed one, seek to the end (to stop buffering), press fullscreen, wait... and repeat the procedure for each video. I see some TV programs weekly, splited in 6 parts or more. Youtube sucks a lot when linking one part to the next (does anybody know their criteria?). I really feel more confortable having the posibility to provide a playlist and let mplayer do it for me.

But of course you can continue using Internet Channel for other casual videos.

PappaSpanx
August 18th, 2008, 22:42
I can see your point. The playlist could become quite useful.

Good job by the way.

thebosdj
August 19th, 2008, 09:48
Please add subtitle support :thumbup:

kaymyst
August 19th, 2008, 11:18

Thanks man, that fixed it now ( no problem when I move over USB anymore).

now when I try to watch a DIVX from smb share, it's very choppy and then crashes after a few seconds.
Wonder if it's because of the wifi...
anyway I got the crashdump in case it helps you:

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4538/imgp1152or8.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1152or8.jpg)

keep up the good work ;)

madoxav
August 19th, 2008, 14:40
Great job on this homebrew :) i just tested it.

It works fine with the SD Card. But no way to make it work for usb devices...

I tested it with 1Gb, 2GB and 8Gb usb keys, with FAT, FAT32 & NTFS file systems. No way.

When I enter in the "USB" section, nothing is shown (only 'USB Path', "Press Home to return the menu" etc...)
The USBkey's light is always turned off.

if i press A in the USB section, i get this DSI error :
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/7977/img4882wg3.th.jpg (http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4882wg3.jpg)

Did i do something wrong?

type_theEND
August 19th, 2008, 20:53
Yes, but the fullscreen video plays on top of the windowed video. I have to pause the windowed one, seek to the end (to stop buffering), press fullscreen, wait... and repeat the procedure for each video. I see some TV programs weekly, splited in 6 parts or more. Youtube sucks a lot when linking one part to the next (does anybody know their criteria?). I really feel more confortable having the posibility to provide a playlist and let mplayer do it for me.

But of course you can continue using Internet Channel for other casual videos.
I don't have this problem. Never had. Do you have the second version of the Internet Channel?
Also, srsrly, watch TV on another site, there are plenty of them, or, maybe even *gasp* bittorrent them (It's just as legal) and play in normal mplayer?

Great job on this homebrew :) i just tested it.

It works fine with the SD Card. But no way to make it work for usb devices...

I tested it with 1Gb, 2GB and 8Gb usb keys, with FAT, FAT32 & NTFS file systems. No way.

When I enter in the "USB" section, nothing is shown (only 'USB Path', "Press Home to return the menu" etc...)
The USBkey's light is always turned off.

if i press A in the USB section, i get this DSI error :
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/7977/img4882wg3.th.jpg (http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4882wg3.jpg)

Did i do something wrong?
You may have bad USB keys or something. Try reformatting one to FAT16 (FAT in Windows) and putting your files on. Also, some devices (Like iPods T_T) don't work.

madoxav
August 20th, 2008, 15:21
You were right. I bought a news 2GB UsbKey, Formatted in FAT32, and it works fine :)

Good Job again ;)

HCK91
August 20th, 2008, 17:42
I can' t upload images for some reason, I wanted to upload the mp4 AAC+ crash dump :confused:

type_theEND
August 20th, 2008, 18:12
You were right. I bought a news 2GB UsbKey, Formatted in FAT32, and it works fine :)

Good Job again ;)
I know flash drives are cheap, but reformatting one of the ones you had probably would have worked just as well...Oh well, glad I could be of some use ^^

Also, @HCK91, if it's not supported nobody's gonna be able to do anything with a crash dump. Wait for a new version ^^
Or, if you'd upload something formatted in AAC+ I'd be more than happy to see if it worked for me.

Terrorboy
August 20th, 2008, 20:55
Works like a charm, streaming a selection of files from my computer and its pretty much flawless.

Had a web server set up so i tested a local stream through that and what'cha know, Homer strangling Bart on my Wii. Adding all the stream addresses to the "mplayerwii.conf" with a file structure grabber then editing in the http address.

Now I have an annoyance though, seeing that i have about 300 lines of streams to flip through to get to the end. Any ideas how ideas on how I could fix this? maybe somehow make a structure of the streams through the .conf or a page down function?

Please note that I'm completely blank when it comes to coding... :confused:

type_theEND
August 21st, 2008, 01:43
Couldn't you just put all your stuff in one folder on your computer? I think you can browse through it now...
Or do you mean from computers that aren't yours?

Terrorboy
August 21st, 2008, 15:36
Not sure, haven't seen any network support anywhere in MplayerWii other than the stream function.

HCK91
August 21st, 2008, 16:41
Also, @HCK91, if it's not supported nobody's gonna be able to do anything with a crash dump. Wait for a new version ^^
Or, if you'd upload something formatted in AAC+ I'd be more than happy to see if it worked for me.

AAC+ worked fine on 0.03, and it was fully supported since frequences up to 48KHz were read. 0.04 broke this function and 0.05 didn' t fix it. I' ll get some free audio files and upload one on AAC+ if someone want to test...

type_theEND
August 22nd, 2008, 02:37
AAC+ worked fine on 0.03, and it was fully supported since frequences up to 48KHz were read. 0.04 broke this function and 0.05 didn' t fix it. I' ll get some free audio files and upload one on AAC+ if someone want to test...
I do believe I just said I would D=

folderol4
August 22nd, 2008, 22:29
Between the version rodries uploaded with the USB speed fix and the version 5 that came out with directory support the USB hard drive functionality got broken. It seems that the directory function regressed the ability to read anything from USB drives.

I went back to rodries version and everything works fine. I'm staying with rodries version until it is fixed.

type_theEND
August 22nd, 2008, 22:32
Between the version rodries uploaded with the USB speed fix and the version 5 that came out with directory support the USB hard drive functionality got broken. It seems that the directory function regressed the ability to read anything from USB drives.

I went back to rodries version and everything works fine. I'm staying with rodries version until it is fixed.

lolwut? There are three variants, the DVD-playing one, the youtube version, and Rodries.
Were you using one other than rodries, or did you go to an old version? Because the new version will read off a USB flash drive just fine, but it won't work with my iPod (Which, has a hard drive). Please clarify D=

rodries
August 23rd, 2008, 09:22
lolwut? There are three variants, the DVD-playing one, the youtube version, and Rodries.
Were you using one other than rodries, or did you go to an old version? Because the new version will read off a USB flash drive just fine, but it won't work with my iPod (Which, has a hard drive). Please clarify D=

This is odd, my version is fcorbier version with a patch in the usb library, I'm using 0.5 version is working fine to me. I've more usb patches, I'm going to send to fcorbier (ron,chris, a lot names :) ) , perhaps there are some diferences, but this is very odd.

type_theEND
August 25th, 2008, 01:45
Oh, whoops, I'm getting my people mixed up. I meant the fcorbier version ><
Oh well.
And fcorbier's works fine for me with USB

Mike_is_mike
August 31st, 2008, 01:02
This one of greatest releases ever, video and good music playback on the Wii, thank you thank you thank you.

It's like christmas all over again.

semkras
September 1st, 2008, 17:33
Love this program , great work , but there is a lot to do.
I have crash problem it happens with some movies and some movies playing good . Today i got crash after 10 min of playing i tried again and got it in same place .
Any idea , do you want me to post any screenshots ?

brosk
September 1st, 2008, 19:01
I have the same problems. Yesterday the movie I was watching stopped at 15 min.

ciarliciarli
September 1st, 2008, 21:29
Hi,
great work, tanks.
I have installed last version (0.05) and on my system crash when play a video with :

[!] AVI: Variable bitrate (VBR) audio detected. VBR audio in AVI is
non-standard and you may encounter sync errors up to 20514ms when
attempting to extract WAV files or playing in some players. If this is a
problem, use Full Processing mode is recommended to decompress or
recompress the audio. (This warning can be disabled in Options,
Preferences, AVI. bitrate: 125.2 ± 16.2 kbps)

I have recompressed audio in mp3, non VBR and now it's play perfectly.
Best regards.

semkras
September 2nd, 2008, 18:40
Here is my screenshot btw http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9471/pict0232vq5.jpg
and the files playing just fine on computer , so there is no corruption of file .

pcartwright81
September 3rd, 2008, 02:40
I also experienced a crash when I tried to play a file. Here is the code dump and stats on the file.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8239/filepropertieskf1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8107/img04961632x1224cs0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

0robbert0
September 4th, 2008, 18:01
I had the same

trouty00
September 12th, 2008, 10:16
My First thing to say is congratulations on all the great work you are doing, this is amazing stuff.

I am running v0.5 and have had success with USB hardrive after i reformatted it to FAT32.

It does have some issues with some filetypes but I'm not too worried about this as I'm sure this will mature in time.

One point for people using external hardrives and they dont see any file structure is that mplayer/wii does not seem to spin up the drive so what i have to do is turn the wii on and then turn the power off then on and listen and feel the drive to ensure that its spinning fine, then launch mplayer and look in the usb. this worked for me.

My question is, I am in the market for buying a NAS and I want it to work with the wii. I am ideally looking at a mybook world which is neither ntfs or Fat ( he WD NetCenter and WD My Book World Edition hard drive uses a proprietary file system and cannot be reformatted as FAT32, NTFS, or a Macintosh File System. The file system on the WD NetCenter and the WD My Book World Edition hard drive supports access from Windows, Macintosh and most Linux based computer systems through a SAMBA network sharing connection.)

Has anyone tried connecting one of these had any joy at all?

any other reccomendations for nas devices, I need to be able to put a torrent client on it which is why i was looking at the mybook.

I've seen the freecom one which maybe a goer but liked the sound of the 3yr guarentee on the mybook.

anyone got any thoughts?

yossi
September 13th, 2008, 02:55
tried to play this:
stream = smb://administrator:[email protected]/olddesktop/2hourlongmovie.avi
got this after about 30 seconds or so:
[img=http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6716/crashlc0.jpg] (http://imageshack.us)

ChaoticanarchyX
September 14th, 2008, 22:46
I know that this is a little out of left field, but Add .DPG files to the list of playablity (somewhat.) They kinda play, but its at like double the speed and no sound.

NikoKun
September 22nd, 2008, 21:43
Does anyone know if it's possible to stream a movie from VLC on my PC to MPlayerWii?

And how exactly does one set that up? (if it is possible)
I can't find any decent instructions for this... =/ (at least nothing that works.)

bufke
September 23rd, 2008, 01:27
Hi, Some friends and I were looking into doing some development in this project. fcorbier and others working on this, have you considered getting a hosting site like source forge, etc? I wouldn't mind setting up and maintaining one if people used it. I think it makes sense to collaborate this way. Let me know what you think.

rodries
October 1st, 2008, 08:53
Hi, Some friends and I were looking into doing some development in this project. fcorbier and others working on this, have you considered getting a hosting site like source forge, etc? I wouldn't mind setting up and maintaining one if people used it. I think it makes sense to collaborate this way. Let me know what you think.

I think is a good idea.

My friend Hermes (Guitafun creator) has improved a lot libfat, now the read/write speed is optimized on fragmented files and the fat table access is optimized.
Also Marcan has told me that libogc from hackmii git has modifications to use bigger mallocs so I can increase mplayer cache to 1024.
I've recompile MPlayerWii and I've tested and now I can watch films smoothly.

Sources:
libfat:
http://mods.elotrolado.net/~hermes/libfat_vs_hermes_v2.rar
You have to replace usbstorage.c from libfat root to /libogc/libogc

template.c from MplayerWii sources
http://www.mediafire.com/?mowzunzmgyh

libogc:
git clone git://hackmii.com/home/ogcgit/libogc

Compiled MPlayerWii
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ty4wmyyclny

Regards

semkras
October 1st, 2008, 12:07
NikoKun
You can download shoutcast server, winamp and winamp plug-in for shoutcast , and easily broadcast music from your computer to WII
http://shoutcast.com/
there is also a lot of free radio station availible on this website , worth a try .

fcorbier
October 3rd, 2008, 14:23
New version 0.06 released that contains rodries USB improvements.

What's new:
-huge speedup on USB devices (thanks to rodries and Hermes)
-added classic controller support to position and scale the video display

http://ronwarez.com/mplayerwii/

fcorbier
October 3rd, 2008, 14:28
Also, I'm going to move the project over to sourceforge or google code so it'll be much easier for developers to submit new code and patches.

fcorbier
October 3rd, 2008, 16:28
There we go: http://code.google.com/p/mplayerwii/

All developers should email me to get SVN write access

sanderevers
October 3rd, 2008, 21:53
I know it has been requested serval times, but please add subtitle support. Thx.

Also loading avi files off DVDs and/or playing DVD-Video would be great too.

cecilyen
October 6th, 2008, 06:03
Is there any plan to add support for playing rmvb files? rmvb is the video format from Real Player. It's quite popular for record TV drama in China. :)

Molokai
October 6th, 2008, 08:28
Playlist support would be extremely appreciated, as well. :thumbup:

Baboon
October 6th, 2008, 09:25
In time a nice GUI would be ideal.

A bug I found... A couple times when I've paused an avi film for a while (about 10 minutes each time) when I resume playback it chucks me out of the film back to the film select?

Overall though the usb playback is now fantastic on this 0.06 release! :)

semkras
October 6th, 2008, 20:17
fcorbier keep up a good work , nice to see u back on forums still developing new versions .
sanderevers ,I think subtitles is in place already, just rename .sub file with same name as avi in same directory .

mr_nick666
October 8th, 2008, 09:39
I am very impressed with this indeed! The first version Ive used is 0.06 and, in my USB tests, it works great! :cool: Ive got an 80gb external on order to test next :p

Baboon
October 8th, 2008, 10:05
I am very impressed with this indeed! The first version Ive used is 0.06 and, in my USB tests, it works great! :cool: Ive got an 80gb external on order to test next :p

It works great on my 160gb usb drive so I'm sure your investment will be worth it too Nick! :thumbup:

Mplayer on wii is starting to rival my XBMC... infact in some instances its better as all the movies sound seems to stay in perfect sync (on the avi's I've tested anyway) while on my xbox1 the sound sometimes slightly goes out.

fcorbier
October 9th, 2008, 00:30
v0.07 released - fixes color depth/banding issues and adds a progress bar durink seeking on videos

sanderevers
October 9th, 2008, 19:58
sanderevers ,I think subtitles is in place already, just rename .sub file with same name as avi in same directory .

Tested that already with both srt and sub files, not working.

Protoss
October 10th, 2008, 11:55
I have a few questions, searching didn't turn up any results...
Firstly, does mplayer-wii support playing from DVDs?
And does it support wifi?

Sektor
October 10th, 2008, 12:26
This version of Mplayer doesn't support DVDs. It does have some wi-fi support.

There is a dvdlib version of Mplayer that can play DVDs
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/MPlayer

I don't think either can play xvid files that are stored on a DVD.

Naguz
October 11th, 2008, 15:44
This app is just great. Finally able to watch my movies on my TV again. Then I don't have to buy Popcorn Hour just yet.

I don't really care that much for a GUI, but samba-browsing would be great. So hard to walk from my wii to my fileserver and back. :P

mr_nick666
October 11th, 2008, 18:48
This app is great! I got carried away and started doodling an on screen display and made a kind of Wii stylised one as an idea...

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/MisterNick666/MplayerOSDmock1.png

I did a mockup too :o

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/MisterNick666/MplayerMOCKosdSCRN.png

Naguz
October 11th, 2008, 22:29
Some issues:
1 Accessing file on a password-protected samba share does not work (followed instructions in configfile). Will try more to morrow, including connecting to a share that is not password protected
2 It has some color/pixel issues on one movie. Diagonal weirdness. Axxo dvdrip, so the file should be OK and correctly encoded.
3 Halfway trough a movie, it just stopped, and went back to the file menu. Same problem is reported previous in the thread, I noticed.
4 Searching does not work. It will be OK for some seconds, then the screen will become empty, and after some seconds annoying noise comes. Have to turn the Wii off manually. Neither is there a search bar or anything.

In my opinion, no3 is the worst bug. I can have some films ready to watch in case a couple does not work, so that is not a really major issue but having a film just stop halfway trough is annoying. Especially when searching does not work.

Keep up the good work, though. I like where this is going. :)

Baboon
October 11th, 2008, 22:43
Well I've literaly just watched an avi movie and an episode of Heroes and it played spot on! :)

I've not had the bug of a movie quit out before while playing like Naguz posted but on the previous release if i paused for too long and restarted it would sometimes quit out? ..I've not replicated the bug again on this latest release yet though but will let you know if it happens again.

In a future release a GUI like nick666 knocked up would be great but I guess ironing out any bugs first is the priority.

So far so good though as this is shaping up to be a fantastic app. :)

Lukeros_Gabriel
October 13th, 2008, 02:09
Well, there doesn't seem to be many problem with avi files, it all works great. couple of files here and there I can understand, but this new update unfortunately makes some files unplayable, one way or another. I've managed to play some of them that play with weird [QUOTE]color/pixel issues...Diagonal weirdness...QUOTE] by resizing the video . Others however are left unplayable since they always result in a code dump immidiately after opening. for me, these problems mostly appeared with wmv files. Oh, and also, mp4's became out of sync, pretty badly actually. I rolled back to version .6 (and it fixed all problems, though some wmvs gradually get out of sync as it plays), though I didn't want to, since the On screen display was something I had been wishing or the very day i both found/instsalled, and un installed .7. I'm very grateful for the work that's been done towards this software, and will be patiently waiting for a newer version that better sees these problems. Good job otherwise though, amazing work.

Baboon
October 13th, 2008, 10:49
I tested another avi movie last night and it didn't play so good. I had a light green bar on the bottom of the screen plus many purple colored pixel lines in the middle of the screen. I stopped the movie (the film 'Heat') as it wasn't worth watching in this state.

I tried the same movie on my modded xbox and also my pc and it plays fine on them?

Naguz
October 14th, 2008, 21:16
Tried to watch another Axxo release tody (Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull[2008]DvDrip-aXXo), with the same result: strange colours diagonally on the screen, and a green field at the bottom. Even though I have only tested two axxo-releases yet, I would guess the result would be the same with them all - they are encoded oretty much the same way.

v0.07 released - fixes color depth/banding issues and adds a progress bar durink seeking on videosAnyone seen this progress bar?I haven't seen it.

Baboon
October 15th, 2008, 17:00
2 It has some color/pixel issues on one movie. Diagonal weirdness. Axxo dvdrip, so the file should be OK and correctly encoded.

Yeah I've noticed this on quite a few of my movies and tv-shows now too.

3 Halfway trough a movie, it just stopped, and went back to the file menu. Same problem is reported previous in the thread, I noticed.

My girlfriend tried watching a movie (also another axxo avi file) and this happened for the first time today. It was half way through playing the film then made a funny noise and quit back to the file menu?? Most annoying.

mackem
October 15th, 2008, 20:41

The shoutcast video streaming is working great. I can watch all the live sports streams using the wii now, I'm very impressed. Well, there's a list of errors that happen for a few seconds before the stream starts but once it starts streaming the shoutcast video it's a great picture. It's mainly the same error repeating it self, some existing pps referenced error. They only happen on shoutcast streams, not the tv channel you supplied with the program.

I normally stream shoutcast videos in winamp and it has a repeat button which reconnects if your connection drops, is there a chance of adding this as it goes back to the list of urls instead of trying to reconnect, you have to scroll down again and do it manually.

Keep up the great work.

bufke
October 21st, 2008, 03:56
I made a gui for the menu. It's incomplete but you can try it out if you want from the svn branch gui. http://code.google.com/p/mplayerwii/source/checkout Here's a screen shot too.

squeakypants
October 22nd, 2008, 03:31
SMB streaming was unplayable when I tried it. It would repeat a few frames (including audio) for 5-10 seconds, then do the next few frames, etc etc. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also, are you working on SMB Browsing? I saw the functions in smb.h. I tried messing with it, but your code is a bit messy (and I couldn't find any docs for the smb functions). I'll keep trying if you aren't going to, though.

brosk
October 22nd, 2008, 19:42
looks great bufke - hopefully they will implement it into the next release.

mr_nick666
October 23rd, 2008, 14:29
Nice art :)

We were watching a HEFTY .avi last night and the playback just stopped about 25 mins in (it went back to the film list menu)

bufke
October 24th, 2008, 02:54
fcorbier or anyone with knowledge of wii graphics. I'm having an issue with the gui menu. I got it so one can view the menu and play a video fine. But when going back to the gui menu, then back to playing a video, the video in blank although sound works. Anyone know why this might be and how to fix it?

hahacherio
October 24th, 2008, 20:05
SMB streaming was unplayable when I tried it. It would repeat a few frames (including audio) for 5-10 seconds, then do the next few frames, etc etc. Does this happen to anyone else?
Yeah SMB streaming was broken for me, it wouldn't buffer properly and I got audio with a jerky video stream, then nothing at all, then that repeated.

zingaster
October 25th, 2008, 20:11
I tried to implement stream = http://192.x.x.x/playlist.pls, and the playlist contains links to other videos on the internet, and locally, but it does not load any of them. What am I missing? I hope not something too stupid!

squeakypants
October 27th, 2008, 02:47
I made a gui for the menu. It's incomplete but you can try it out if you want from the svn branch gui. http://code.google.com/p/mplayerwii/source/checkout Here's a screen shot too.

It works great! Definitely a big step for MPlayerWii :) Soon it'll be at the same level as GeeXbox!

I compiled it and uploaded it here (http://www.mediafire.com/?tm25dnfijmm) for anyone who wants it. Just put it in the apps folder of your SD card and launch with the HBC.

(bufke or fcorbier: If you want me to take it down, just ask.)

mr_nick666
October 27th, 2008, 08:47
Will have a look squeakypants :)

brosk
October 28th, 2008, 17:48
Looks very promising - great work

add:
- subtitle support
- complete GUI
- bug fixes

and it's everything you could ask for.

deshwasi
October 28th, 2008, 19:08
very nice work guys. is it easy enough to make this into a channel?

zingaster
October 28th, 2008, 19:28
Very disappointing!

Qualith
October 28th, 2008, 19:39
Is yet implemented the sequencial play?
Can be implemented a random play?

I like the philosophy of DMP, but the sound quality of Mplayerwii is much better.
The problem is that using Mplayer only for mp3 listening is no way because of the return to main menu.

bufke
October 29th, 2008, 03:43
I like the idea of random/sequential play. Perhaps after i get the basic menu system done I could work on that. It doesn't sound like it would be hard to implement something like that.

Still haven't figured out why video won't play twice with the gui menu. Need to get that straighten out before putting the gui in a release.

Qualith
October 29th, 2008, 17:24
I like the idea of random/sequential play. Perhaps after i get the basic menu system done I could work on that. It doesn't sound like it would be hard to implement something like that.

It would be nice! Thanks in advance!

Naguz
October 30th, 2008, 17:40
I have to admit, i would rather have the bugs ironed out, than have a gui. Seeing as it can't play some mobvies (diagonal colour mess), and will on some movies just go back to the menu, makes it less temtping to use it to play a movie. Especially if you are watching it with someone. "Ooops, shit happens. Want to watch another one?"

Tested with a H264-file the other day. As expected, it didn't really go smooth. Is the Wii hardware not good enough, or can it be done eventually?

sanderevers
November 1st, 2008, 13:38
Since the Homebrew Channel 9 supports SDHC, can you please add it (SDHC) to MplayerWii?

rodries
November 1st, 2008, 17:59
You only have to recompile using lastest libogc.
Use libogc from hackmii git, it has less bugs and you can use big mallocs :
git clone git://hackmii.com/home/ogcgit/libogc

sanderevers
November 2nd, 2008, 16:26
Oké i've compiled it, tested it, and uploaded it:
http://rapidshare.com/files/159983593/mplayerwii_sdhc.7z.html

NeoNight
November 2nd, 2008, 21:24
Hey does this work with dvds? and is there a channel version with the current(or newer) version? The reason why I wanted a channel is because my parents are using this app on my wii as a dvd player since the dvd player they usually use broke. I didn't want them going into the HBC as I feared they would go into the wrong app and somehow brick the wii accidentally.

edit: I forgot to mention that I was using the dvdlib version of mplayer that was released by the folks who did the HBC channel.

Tyr
November 3rd, 2008, 12:59
My kingdom for a good gui , it doesn't have to be xbmc with all the whistles and bells but just the basic stuff like options to calibrate the screen.

tipolosko
November 4th, 2008, 13:22
I've developed a patch as devoptab "plugin" to enable reading files
directly from wii DVD drive. It uses libdi library to read raw sectors.
Then it map to "dvd:/" path. For now it reads filenames as iso9660:1999
standard (long filenames but all uppercase and space->underscore
translation). Maybe in the future i'll add joilet/rr support.
I've also added a menu entry to access DVD files. I've tested it with a few
DVD containing video material and all worked fine.

See here: http://code.google.com/p/mplayerwii/issues/detail?id=32

rodries
November 4th, 2008, 17:48
I've developed a patch as devoptab "plugin" to enable reading files
directly from wii DVD drive. It uses libdi library to read raw sectors.
Then it map to "dvd:/" path. For now it reads filenames as iso9660:1999
standard (long filenames but all uppercase and space->underscore
translation). Maybe in the future i'll add joilet/rr support.
I've also added a menu entry to access DVD files. I've tested it with a few
DVD containing video material and all worked fine.

See here: http://code.google.com/p/mplayerwii/issues/detail?id=32
That's great
Can you send to Marcan or publish in www.entuwii.net forum?
So marcan can add to libdi
A question,
do you know if is needed any extra installation (DVDX)
to use your dvd library?
Thanks a lot.

Edit: Marcan has told me that you need DVDX if you don't have a modchip.

tipolosko
November 5th, 2008, 08:25
Yes, i confirm you need DVDX, because this library uses libdi, and all libdi requirements must be satisfied.
I'm using PAL WII (italian version) with self-built YAOSM mod

Noticed you've already posted in www.entuwii.net, i'll also follow that thread :)

Can someone test my patch? Just to see if work correctly for everyone :thumbup:

rodries
November 5th, 2008, 15:18
Noticed you've already posted in www.entuwii.net, i'll also follow that thread :)

Can someone test my patch? Just to see if work correctly for everyone :thumbup:

Perfect www.entuwii.net is marcan's forum
He has passed your code to Erant so probably they are going to integrate with libdi.

I haven't my wii at now, but
can you upload a compiled version for other people?
So they can test your improvement.

I hope that you continue improving your code and implement Joliet.

Thanks for your code.

tipolosko
November 5th, 2008, 17:38
I haven't my wii at now, but
can you upload a compiled version for other people?
So they can test your improvement.

Sure! Here is it! :)
Once unzipped, you'll find .dol file.
Is also possible to rename it to boot.dol and substitute to the original mplayerwii version (while waiting for integration :p)

rodries
November 5th, 2008, 18:47
Hello tipolosko

I was studing your code and I think that you can improve your file reading using a cache.

You always read only 1 sector
retval=WIIDVD_ReadDVD(filestate->localsectbuf, 1, sectorneeded);

I'm not sure (I haven't my wii for test) but I think that if you read more sectors in one call (perhaps 32) and save in memory (cache) probably the next sector will be in cache so you needn't to read again. This is how libfat cache works more or less, and improve a lot the file access, because 1 call to read 32 sectors spend less time that 32 call to read 1 sector.
I'll try to do some test using a very simple cache system.
I prefer to have this conversation on www.entuwii.net because is a more technical forum, so if you want we can continue this conversation there, and we have marcan and hermes that are great programmers.

tipolosko
November 5th, 2008, 19:22
Thanks rodries,
the current code reads sector by sector.
The great suprise is that seems to work without problems as-is!
I know there is a lot of space for improvements, but i prefer to have a "stable" code before beginning optimizations.
Sure, we can continue on www.entuwii.net, in the already open thread? :)

Thanks for your interest!