PDA

View Full Version : Is It Any Wonder Nintendo Hates Homebrew

wraggster
July 7th, 2008, 02:05
The media sometimes do the Homebrew scene a lot of good by posting the many fantastic releases that have happened so far but then comes the other side when they bring the word Homebrew into the piracy arena --> http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/03/video-goldeneye-007-running-on-wii-homebrew-channel/

Its claimed to be running on the Wii Homebrew channel but a glance at the comments tell you that its a virtual console piracy hack, nothing at all to do with homebrew and especially not the fantastic Homebrew Channel.

Newsposts like this will give Nintendo More encouragement to have a Pop at Homebrewers, but the hacking side (or the piracy side depending on which site you look at) also dont help the scene, the amount of newsposts telling people how to get commercial roms playing on a Wii via a modchip only gives the Big N more emphasis to kick the homebrew scene out too. Some of these scene sites also funnily enough dont post on their front pages such news but in the forums its open house, another win for piracy.

Now to be honest i dont care what others do but the good work done by all the Homebrew coders on any console gets ruined by the piracy on sites and forums.

vicious1988
July 7th, 2008, 02:28
You dirty bastards, get your facts straight!!!! :D

Of course it won't be long before we have goldeneye on the HBC.

Shadowblind
July 7th, 2008, 02:50
You dirty bastards, get your facts straight!!!! :D

Of course it won't be long before we have goldeneye on the HBC.

I guess that really depends on one of three possibilities:

1) A hacker can create a WAD with an expansion pack built in(which would actually end up being warez, and not allowed to be spoken of here :o)

2) Nintendo releases a game like Majoras Mask or something that uses an expansion pack on the Virtual Console. With that users would inject they're own n64 ROMs(also falling under the category of warez.

3) An N64 emulator that actually works is released(The only LEGAL way ;) )

vicious1988
July 7th, 2008, 02:53
Supposedly it is a modded wad for an N64 VC title. I personally don't use those because I don't need my memory filled with all that shit. I like my emulators.

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 02:55
Shadowblind, Goldeneye doesnt use the expansion pack at all.
Perfect dark did though.

Anyway, Ill just wait for Wii64 (in fear of bluecrab finding me)

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 02:57
Supposedly it is a modded wad for an N64 VC title. I personally don't use those because I don't need my memory filled with all that shit. I like my emulators.

Yeah, I read (and saw on youtube) that Paradox hacked the Sin and Punishment emulator/wad and injected Super Smash Bros.

But I will wait for Wii64 to be more functional :)

Eric
July 7th, 2008, 06:52
Well as for homebrew i got only a couple things to say here. While some of it is legal some arent all that legal.

Emulation to me is pretty illegal and to me it would be far more illegal on the Nintendo Wii being that they already have a way for you to play classics and we all know it comes from the Virtual Console.

It doesnt matter if you own the game or not emulation is purely illegal on my mind. Emulation for any system pretty much copies the configuration so you can play all if not most games.

It stops people from buying systems and it stops people from buying games. Millions of people could sit here and say this is pure bull cause i own the game. Most of the people who are saying this are telling a complete lie and are piling up a big huge pile of hot steamin bullcrap.

The reason why is cause they want the homebrew to stay alive well lets put it this way the more and more emulators being made will create stories like the one this whole topic is about. Also when homebrew is created there is always away somebody can make a program to run copied games or isos.

This is the reason why they are stopping the scene it dont matter how much you blab or whine that Sony or other companies want homebrew to stop cause they know exactly what it leads to and you and I both know that and if not you know now. Call me stupid whatever you want but the story is true.

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 08:07
I agree with eric

Baboon
July 7th, 2008, 10:19
Well as for homebrew i got only a couple things to say here. While some of it is legal some arent all that legal.

Emulation to me is pretty illegal and to me it would be far more illegal on the Nintendo Wii being that they already have a way for you to play classics and we all know it comes from the Virtual Console.

It doesnt matter if you own the game or not emulation is purely illegal on my mind. Emulation for any system pretty much copies the configuration so you can play all if not most games.

It stops people from buying systems and it stops people from buying games. Millions of people could sit here and say this is pure bull cause i own the game. Most of the people who are saying this are telling a complete lie and are piling up a big huge pile of hot steamin bullcrap.

The reason why is cause they want the homebrew to stay alive well lets put it this way the more and more emulators being made will create stories like the one this whole topic is about. Also when homebrew is created there is always away somebody can make a program to run copied games or isos.

This is the reason why they are stopping the scene it dont matter how much you blab or whine that Sony or other companies want homebrew to stop cause they know exactly what it leads to and you and I both know that and if not you know now. Call me stupid whatever you want but the story is true.

So your dead against homebrew and emulation? ....Why are you posting on 'dcemu the homebrew, emualtion and gaming site' then? lol

I personaly think emualtion is fantastic! If you look at the psp scene then that console has practicaly no class A titles and so for me the homewbrew and emualtion is the only thing thats kept the console fresh (I would have parted company with the psp a long time ago if it were not for the old classics I am able to play on it now).

Emulation for the nation(s)! :)

Darksaviour69
July 7th, 2008, 11:05
Emulation to me is pretty illegal ....

Just to correct you, you may feel its immoral but its not illegal.

For me emulation is fine if you own the games already. Is it fair to be forced to buy an mp3 of a song if you want to play it on your mp3 player, if you have paid for the CD?

I view games the same way.

DimensionT
July 7th, 2008, 11:17

The emulators aren't illegal. Make a single copy of a game you own isn't illegal. Downloading a ROM of a game you own IS illegal.

Emulators are the same has homebrew. They're coded by independent developers just like hombrew. They give you the ability to perform illegal acts, but them in themselves aren't illegal.

Saying emulators are illegal is almost like saying video players are illegal... Because they open up the opportunity to watch downloaded movies.

Making a single copy of a game you own FROM the game you own for YOURSELF falls under the fair use act, and is therefore completely legal. We all know 90% of the people playing ROMs don't do it this way... But there's really no way to prove it. Which is why nothing has been done to prevent the development of emulators and the such.

Take a look at the legal issues of emulators and ROMs on Nintendo's website:

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

They say nothing about emulators being illegal, and state that copying your own game is in fact legal. Though they do throw in the "We strongly discourage use of emulators because it hurts companies in the long run" claim.

The way this hack is done, is illegal. They're using stolen emulator code produced by Nintendo to play games it wasn't meant to play, which is just the same as downloading a pirated app on the computer for the means of using it in whatever way.

wiggy fuzz
July 7th, 2008, 11:18
if you own the CD shouldn't you be smart enough to rip it as an mp3? (whatever record companies say)

nintendo hates homebrew because homebrewers often make things that make nintendo go "dammit, why didn't we think of that?"

AuroEdge
July 7th, 2008, 11:43
This is the 100th time I've seen insert name hates homebrew. Nintendo makes money in part by selling games. Anything that they can ethically do against that which hinders them from doing so they should do. Every well known solution to allow custom code on the Wii has allowed piracy in one form or another. If Nintendo decides to block those forms, good for them. ANY homebrew that allows piracy in any form shouldn't be made. If Nintendo decides to successfully block against piracy and it just so happens to block homebrew and you gripe, thank you for being an idiot.

Darksaviour69
July 7th, 2008, 11:52
if you own the CD shouldn't you be smart enough to rip it as an mp3? (whatever record companies say)
its about what you are legally/ morally allowed to do, not how hard it is to do it.

AuroEdge, I think you missed to point of the newspost, its not a rant against Nintendo, its about irresponsible reporting by major websites that associate homebrew and piracy together, by posting that the illegally hacked game runs via the Wii Homebrew channel, when it doesn't.

geise69
July 7th, 2008, 12:25
Well it really doesn't matter if these sites post about it or not. Word will eventually get around about WAD files and injecting roms into already made Virtual Console games. Information on WAD files has been posted on the net for months now. It was even talked about here and on the main news pages, not just the forums. The way I see it, it's not that big of a deal. We all know where Nintendo stands on this now. They already tried to block homebrew once and it will continue to be that way. I don't even think it matters about these WAD files either. Even emulation takes away from VC sales. So how the hell is that really any different than running Street Fighter II in SNES9X or injecting it in a WAD file. Either way you're playing the game for free when you have the option to buy and dl the VC one. Just because it's on a homebrew made emulator doesn't really make it any less immoral. BTW I'm really not against anything, I'm just stating how it is.

Eviltaco64
July 7th, 2008, 12:46
In my opinion, pirating old nintendo/super nintendo roms was alright until maybe the early 2000s, when these games started getting re-released on the GBA, GBC, and Gamecube. It was still illegal, yes, but some games (until Virtual Console) were out of the reach of many (including myself) for awhile.

Nowadays, people can just buy these games for $5 - $12 apiece on Virtual Console :)
But still, people want (and always will want) more. They cant wait for Nintendo to release [insert game title here] on VC, or Nintendo simply cant put some games on VC (i.e. popular non-Nintendo franchise Rareware games), so, theyll find another way to play it, be it a PC emulator, Console emulator, or a hacked version of a commercial emulator. I can say that I've experimented with the Zelda Collector's Edition Emulators for Gamecube (for testing/compatibility purposes, I have an Xbox , DC, and PC to play emulators on :p). But at least I'm honest, and now I think I'll just wait for Wii64 to improve or just buy a Wii and some VC games.

It's not good for the industry, but even if it is hurting it, it wont stop.

EDIT: I do, however, think that it's unfair to be unable to discuss these commercial emulators. It seems it's only illegal if you have the emulator itself. I mean, I remember trying to discuss the N64 Zelda emulator for Gamecube on DCEmu, and it got locked for being "too warezy", whereas discussion of the **Commercial** PS1 Emulator for PSP is always encouraged. I dont plan to use that emulator mentioned above anymore, but seriously folks, someone using a commercial emulator on the wii for games they want to play is one big thumbs down whereas using a commercial emulator on the psp for something it's not supposed to be used for is one big thumbs up. It just screams "DOUBLE STANDARDS" out loud.

Now I might be wrong, and Im sorry if I am and offended anyone. Maybe PSP gets off on a technicality since the PS1 emulator is acutally built into the firmware... But that's just my 2c. No distrubution but discussion seems ok.

AndrewArsonn
July 7th, 2008, 15:56
haha, emus rule.
http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/40/emu_16633.jpg

Keelhaul
July 7th, 2008, 16:01
Well it really doesn't matter if these sites post about it or not. Word will eventually get around about WAD files and injecting roms into already made Virtual Console games. Information on WAD files has been posted on the net for months now. It was even talked about here and on the main news pages, not just the forums. The way I see it, it's not that big of a deal. We all know where Nintendo stands on this now. They already tried to block homebrew once and it will continue to be that way. I don't even think it matters about these WAD files either. Even emulation takes away from VC sales. So how the hell is that really any different than running Street Fighter II in SNES9X or injecting it in a WAD file. Either way you're playing the game for free when you have the option to buy and dl the VC one. Just because it's on a homebrew made emulator doesn't really make it any less immoral. BTW I'm really not against anything, I'm just stating how it is.

Please top using "morality" and "business interest" interchangably.

grossaffe
July 8th, 2008, 04:37
I guess that really depends on one of three possibilities:

1) A hacker can create a WAD with an expansion pack built in(which would actually end up being warez, and not allowed to be spoken of here :o)

2) Nintendo releases a game like Majoras Mask or something that uses an expansion pack on the Virtual Console. With that users would inject they're own n64 ROMs(also falling under the category of warez.

3) An N64 emulator that actually works is released(The only LEGAL way ;) )
I'm pretty sure Goldeneye didn't require an expansion pack. Perfect Dark did, but I don't think Goldeneye did.

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2008, 05:36
Goldeneye on Wii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5N8ERlkGKc

This is the same emulator they used to inject Super Smash Bros.
Now it's running Goldeneye, and hacking is the only way that it's ever going to be on Wii.

____anders____
July 8th, 2008, 17:31
goldenye is fun;)

but one of the best N64 games ever imo is Vigilante 8 second offense..
i think every *cough*rom*cough* out there are bad dumps, so the only way we can get it on the wii would be the nintendo way...

but i guess it won't happen:(

Auriman1
July 8th, 2008, 18:27
I still think the Virtual Console emulation is a rip-off. Charging people for games that they already have/had, and ones that the company has been recycling for years, almost seems cruel. Original developers of the games probably don't see a cent of that money, either, and it just gets absorbed into the higher-ups' fat pocketbooks.

Also, I understand that only releasing a few games at a time on the Virtual Console is an attempt to boost their sales in the long run, but not offering a complete collection for the console (at least the first-party titles to start, then working off from there) is just asking people to find other ways to access them; most people aren't patient, especially when they aren't given release dates. Another common complaint is lack of space on the console's memory. I know Nintendo's "working on something," but it's a problem at this time.

They could at least try making a subscription service; that way, people could play all the Virtual Console games available for around $20 per month, which seems more reasonable than what they're charging per game. The game could be saved in a sort of cache memory, with the saves still being put onto the Wii; then when they play a new game, the cache is flushed out and the new game is inserted, taking care of the space problem. It could keep the most recent game in the cache after turning off the Wii to save on downloading, too.

WiiWare is a different story, however; developers are receiving a commision for every copy of their game that's sold, and the titles offered have a great deal more effort put into their production. I hope to buy some games off of there once I have the money, to support the industry, if nothing else.