PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew topics banned from GameFAQs PSP Message Board

Darksaviour69
July 7th, 2008, 16:12
Quoted from a post the GameFAQs PSP Message Board (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=918340&topic=44109024)

It does you guys no good to have no warning, so I'll tell you.

GameFAQs is about to update its TOS. The new document will be roughly the same as GameSpot's current TOS. The largest and most noticeable change is the inclusion of homebrew under the Illegal Activities rule. That's why all the stickies have gone - even CJayC's, because it is no longer correct.

When the new TOS hits the site, all of the topics on this board (and the DS and Wii boards, as they each have a good homebrew community) that talk about homebrew will be deleted or closed. If they're deleted, you'll probably get an NKL, and contesting it will do no good.

If you want to complain about this change, here is not the place to do it (as it's considered Off-Topic). In fact, complaining about it at all isn't going to help, as this ruling is never going to be rescinded.

If you need information concerning homebrew, there are plenty of other sites out there that can help you. Because linking to those sites will be a violation of the new TOS, I can't link to them for you, but Google is always your friend

It seems again homebrew and piracy have been painted with the same brush by a "Big" site.

http://digg.com/playstation/Homebrew_topics_banned_from_GameFAQs

Moved to Network News as this implicates all Homebrew Communities, isnt it time the Mainstream didnt put us Homebrewers with the pirates ???

wraggster
July 7th, 2008, 16:32
idiots then again like i said in the article i wrote on the Wii site last night. Scene sites or those that are so upthemselves are the reason piracy is sectioned with Homebrew.

jxx2005
July 7th, 2008, 17:05
its an outrage
but at least DCEMU is still going strong!

JKKDARK
July 7th, 2008, 17:05
Well the good thing is that they will join here maybe :)

goity
July 7th, 2008, 17:20
Ridiculous. Would this even include things like gp2x/pandora homebrew, where there isn't the faintest shadow of anything remotely illegal or bad and wrong?

wraggster
July 7th, 2008, 17:26
just shows you the mainstream media havent a bloody clue

Veskgar
July 7th, 2008, 17:40
just shows you the mainstream media havent a bloody clue

That's correct. No clue. And those who blindly follow are suckers. They tell them to jump and they ask "how high?"

I'm glad I live against the grain..... FREE!

Makes me appreciate DCEMU even more though.

alanparker05
July 7th, 2008, 17:42
There's really nothing to say about psp if you can't talk about homebrew

hacksparrow
July 7th, 2008, 17:44
that fat guy on youtube that was dissin psp hackin seemed to work

JKKDARK
July 7th, 2008, 17:57
Ridiculous. Would this even include things like gp2x/pandora homebrew, where there isn't the faintest shadow of anything remotely illegal or bad and wrong?

Well I don't think they will discuss these systyems because these ones don't have officia lreleases

newb_fo_life
July 7th, 2008, 18:04
Thats quite stupid,I'd say they got payed by sony :l

dazman
July 7th, 2008, 20:23
If left to Sony the PSP would be no more use than a bloody door stop!

Qmark
July 7th, 2008, 21:16
Thats quite stupid,I'd say they got payed by sony :lIt's just an edict from the CNET suits, possibly under threat of being cut off from Sony goodies and advertising.

darkriku2000
July 7th, 2008, 21:30
Thats quite stupid,I'd say they got payed by sony :l

If left to Sony the PSP would be no more use than a bloody door stop!

Actually, believe it or not, companies like good homebrew on their consoles, while sony tries to get people to buy the games that they get the money for (like any other company would), the homebrew still gives people a reason to buy a console, think of it this way:

How many people, including yourself, have bot a console just for the homebrew

I know a lot of people that have, and sony likely know about these people, which means that people still buy there systems and hence sony makes money, I'm sure they'd let people homebrew freely on their consoles if it didn't allow them to acces piracy

fpcreator2000
July 7th, 2008, 21:37
I'm going to be playing the "devil's advocate" over here when I say this:

From an outsider's point of view, it seems that when some people talk about homebrew, they start talking about emulators, which leads to some moron making a rom/iso/bios request when the rules state that such things are not allowed. Which, of course, also leads to some people posting links, or explaining how to get the said rom/iso/bios.

It was wrong of them to put all of homebrew in the same category, but based on what I explained above, it would be a reason as to why they are doing what they are doing.

Another reason is that their website is about commercial gaming topics, such as release dates, cover art, commercial software related to a gaming device, ect. which is not part of their website's "mission". (I can't think of another way of putting this).

---------------------------

This is pretty funny considering that a good number of the strategy guides where made for hacked rom versions of the games they were written for (FFIV for example), or make references that certain features are available in the rom version of the game which of course is referencing homebrew directly.

Jayenkai
July 7th, 2008, 22:00
^ I was pretty much about to type that out..

Now I could be lazy like a DCEmu news poster, and just copy+paste what he typed, but instead I'll write something of my own.

FPCreator's absolutely right. Big sites really have to be careful in what they allow.
As soon as you say "Homebrew = OK!" You're essentially getting 100,000 people popping along to say "How do I get Super Mario World to play?"
That's just not god-damned right!

But it happens, and we all seem to accept it.

It's less a case of needing to seperate Piracy and Homebrew, and more Emulation and Homebrew.

That'd pretty much kill the point of this site, but until it happens, it's just going to keep happening.

It's so much easier for the bigger sites to just say "No Emulation = No Homebrew"

Mc_Logical
July 7th, 2008, 23:07
Will the ps3 ever be hacked though? only if u have a DEV console, id luv to see homebrew on ps3, but yeah! which will lead to eeeek! can I say it? iso loaders (last time I said iso I got banned lol) I just hope sum1 is working on the ps3 aka Dark Alex maybe, and hasn`t revealed yet, and stuff the worrys about homebrew not allowed on other sites, we all know its going to happen, bunch of bitches if u ask me, but yeah! all I want on ps3 is homebrew really, it would be too much hastle to download games

agenericperson
July 8th, 2008, 00:14
I don't what sickens me more: the fact that GameFAQs is going after homebrew or the fact that this perpetuates the idea that it is somehow illegal.

acg12xu
July 8th, 2008, 02:20
So this only pertains to PSP? Do their Wii and DS boards still allow homebrew discussion? Because if so this stinks of hypocrisy.

dark heart
July 8th, 2008, 04:26
it's like kicking someone while they're down :( damn
the psp scene is pretty much all about homebrew, and this is like one of the best sites for psp homebrew.

neo31337
July 8th, 2008, 05:32
While I don't completely understand GameFAQs not wanting any discussion of homebrew on their site, I do respect their choice.

I was probably in the sixth/fifth grade when I found that I site (way back when IGN wasn't a paysite), and loved being able to get codes, and walkthroughs. Finding codes led me to a gameshark, and a gameshark led me to embedded technology. That love, that passion, for programming led me to be interested in the homebrew scene as a hobby (I work inside the software industry during the day... ;) ).

I don't care much to hear the arguments against or for the homebrew scene. People exist on both sides... I've even known plenty of developers who are responsible for their own code being exploited.
I know plenty of individuals who break their own software to test it (I do this a lot). Software piracy exists.

While I haven't developed on the PSP I have benefited from code posted online. Someday I might post something for the PSP... who knows... I'm glad it's there though...

We have better sites now than GameFAQs for people like me. Who knows what kind of developer I could have been if I had sites like this one back when I started getting interested.

People who go to GameFAQs expect Game FAQs, codes, and walkthroughs, and they should get it.

For the rest of the world who want to inquire into the code behind the software... the games... we have people like Dark Alex, and websites like DCEmu to turn to.
There are wonderful individuals out there willing to spread their knowledge to newbies...
Wonderful people who really know what homebrew is about...

Thank you guys for being there...

-Neo

P.S.
For those of you hurt by the recent change of TOS at GameFAQs, stop posting, you're only wasting your time. Instead come here, learn the code, and post something wonderful... who knows... you might be the next Dark Alex...

ab88
July 8th, 2008, 07:49
I'm with Gamefaqs on their decision. Although I've never visited the site to be honest (Perhaps on Google searches but not regularly).

Besides the poster was kind enough to let everyone know (And seemed open on people finding their ways to other sites). Frankly there are tons of sites for homebrew and like Neo pointed out Gamefaqs was not one of them. It's there for other purposes.

oooooomonkeys
July 8th, 2008, 11:10
this is a joke,how can it be wrong to talk about homebrew. just means i'll not be doing there daily poll anymore so nuurrrrr who's the loser now gamefaqs eh