PDA

View Full Version : [RELEASE]Wolfenstein 3D V4.7 - Game Loader Menu + Sound Fix!

Zack
July 8th, 2008, 01:28
Hey guys.

Today was my last day off work, so I put in extra effort and finished the game loader & "fixed" the sound.

The sound is slightly faster, but 100% clear in the sound fix version. The only problem with it are the guards voices, they sound like they have inhaled helium. Aside from that, it sounds great.

The sound fix is only a test, for the sound to be perfect for everything I need to re-write the sound core, which will take time.

The game loader is 100% complete. I think it is great, however if you guys want it changing just ask ;)

It starts up, and you pick your game, simple as that :) No more having 6 eboots clogging up your xmb game menu ;)

The file structure has completely changed. From now on you have to put the game in this directory for it to work :

PSP/GAME/

The wolf3d layout has also changed :

PSP/GAME/Wolf_3D/Files/"GAME NAME HERE"

There are 6 folders. Each correctly named. You place the game files in as normal into these folders.

Important :

1) I found out why Spears Of Destiny Episode 3 was so unstable. For some reason you have to have savefiles in there to make it stable. I have included 2 save files in that folder . Don't delete them or you will have issues. This game also has to have a CONFIG.SOD file in there. It is the ONLY one that requires it.

2) Spears Of Destiny Episode 3 is the ONLY game that needs the CONFIG file. Make sure you DO NOT have a CONFIG file in the folder of any of the other games or it WILL NOT WORK. This keeps coming up and up, so please heed it this time.

Note For people who want to use the 1992 Wolf3D Full Version CD Files. Please only download the "Wolf3D V4.7 - Normal Sound + For 1992 CD Version" or the "Wolf3D V4.7 - Sound Fix+ For 1992 CD Version" releases.

To try out the version with the sound fix, download the appropriate :"Sound Fix" version below. If you would like the new version with the same sound as the previous release download the appropriate "normal sound" release below.

Next release probably wont be for 1-2 weeks ;)

Thanks and enjoy it :)

Screens :

Game Loader Menu Screenshot :
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk437/Zackpspcoder/screen5-1.jpg

Screenshot from Spears Of Destiny Episode 3 :
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk437/Zackpspcoder/screen7.jpg

Download & Give Feedback Via Comments

da1writer
July 8th, 2008, 02:33
Dude... YOU... ARE... THE MAN! This is the best release of yours so far, thanks for the extra effort in making another release before you head back to work. I know how the work life is (I work 12 to 14 hours a day/ 5 days a week) and I'd rather relax at home and hang with my wife or friends after the work day ends. Thanks for the update, I'll be busy playing around with this during my off time, I'll be sure to report any problems and... suggestions ;)! Can't wait for your next update to this great port of yours :D!

Fr0sTy
July 8th, 2008, 02:41
well i tried the sound fix version and the 1992+sound fix version and neither work for spear part 1 and wolfenstein.... i see the choice menu, then when i select which game i would like to choose, i get the boot and an error @ the xmb.

da1writer
July 8th, 2008, 02:58
well i tried the sound fix version and the 1992+sound fix version and neither work for spear part 1 and wolfenstein.... i see the choice menu, then when i select which game i would like to choose, i get the boot and an error @ the xmb.

Cd Version works, did you remove the config file from sod1 and wolf3d? A config file is only allowed in the sod 3 folder.

Zack, it seems you also fixed the Wolfenstein bug where the game would crash/freeze if you let the game go past the WOlfenstien main scree/play the demos. You got mad skill dude, you truly brought a few tears to my eyes with your newest update! Your really outdid your self and went abovand and beyond in making this the best port of wolfenstein... period! Thanks again, the helium people and dogs are hilarious by the by the way :rofl: !

Crap, I found the first bug, It's not to problematic though. You can even reproduce the bug easily Zack. Put some headphones on and start playing wolf3d. Now open any door... hear that! Crackling of the sound department for a second. In actuality, the crackle in the sound happens anytime you press the triangle button in the game. Strange...

AshTR
July 8th, 2008, 03:18
Crap, I found the first bug, It's not to problematic though. You can even reproduce the bug easily Zack. Put some headphones on and start playing wolf3d. Now open any door... hear that! Crackling of the sound department for a second. In actuality, the crackle in the sound happens anytime you press the triangle button in the game. Strange...

That's not a bug, dude. Try it on DOSBox on your PC. It does the same thing. It's supposed to be one of those things to let you know you're pushing the Open key. DOS games. :rofl:

EDIT: Tried the non-sound fix version and Shareware didn't give me any video on my PSP. (Fat 4.01 M33-2) As for the sound fixed one, it works nicely. But man, you should have said everything is higher pitched. Because it is. I figured out why though. I'm pretty sure it's because you've got the game going too fast. The soldiers shoot at me a lot faster than they normally would. Doors seem to open faster than usual. Etc etc.

da1writer
July 8th, 2008, 04:02
That's not a bug, dude. Try it on DOSBox on your PC. It does the same thing. It's supposed to be one of those things to let you know you're pushing the Open key. DOS games. :rofl:

EDIT: Tried the non-sound fix version and Shareware didn't give me any video on my PSP. (Fat 4.01 M33-2) As for the sound fixed one, it works nicely. But man, you should have said everything is higher pitched. Because it is. I figured out why though. I'm pretty sure it's because you've got the game going too fast. The soldiers shoot at me a lot faster than they normally would. Doors seem to open faster than usual. Etc etc.

Oh, Nevermind then, I thought it was suppose to be grunting like duke nukem, my bad. I believe you are right again AshTR about maybe the game is moving too fast, I noticed it as well. Maybe it should be slowed down a bit and maybe upping the 222mhz to 333mhz might resolve the crackling issue. What do you think AshTR?

AshTR
July 8th, 2008, 04:15
Oh, Nevermind then, I thought it was suppose to be grunting like duke nukem, my bad. I believe you are right again AshTR about maybe the game is moving too fast, I noticed it as well. Maybe it should be slowed down a bit and maybe upping the 222mhz to 333mhz might resolve the crackling issue. What do you think AshTR?

Sounds good, I guess. Here's a example of what it SHOULD be like: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UQtFhemoRRg

EDIT: You'll also see the crackling noise in there too. It's part of the game.

Fr0sTy
July 8th, 2008, 05:49
no config file in my installs da1writer....

da1writer
July 8th, 2008, 06:24
no config file in my installs da1writer....

Well then... maybe I can help you out ;)! I'll PM you shortly.

First things first though.
AshTR, Can you confirm something for me? Is it just me or does episode 3 crash often? I've gone into a room once, shot a dude and then turned left to shoot the next guy and got booted to the xmb. Does episode 3 crash often for you? I think episode 3 must be very unstable for some reason, hopefully Zack can pinpoint the problem :(...

AshTR
July 8th, 2008, 07:36
AshTR, Can you confirm something for me? Is it just me or does episode 3 crash often? I've gone into a room once, shot a dude and then turned left to shoot the next guy and got booted to the xmb. Does episode 3 crash often for you? I think episode 3 must be very unstable for some reason, hopefully Zack can pinpoint the problem :(...

I've just been trying episode 1, but I guess I can try episode 3. Which version of the files are you using?

Also, I noticed that I occasionally get this problem where right after I select the game version I want, I hear the sound but there's nothing on-screen. Like the video just fails.

da1writer
July 8th, 2008, 07:50
I've just been trying episode 1, but I guess I can try episode 3. Which version of the files are you using?

Also, I noticed that I occasionally get this problem where right after I select the game version I want, I hear the sound but there's nothing on-screen. Like the video just fails.

Version 1.0 (1994) for episode 3 of SoD. Your bug you mentioned happened to me once, I kinda don't know what the heck happens there :confused: ...

Domovoy12
July 8th, 2008, 07:55
Hey guys.

Big thanks for new version and for the port at all :) Now I have working SOD version! Thanks, Zack :D
One question: when we will have working save/load options? After it all be OK on 100 %

Be3f
July 8th, 2008, 09:15
Great update Zack, loading menu is awesome, already waiting for the next release with save/load game... ;)

69morph19
July 8th, 2008, 09:21
have got latest release but cant get it to work.when loading full version get to main screen but the graphics are all distorted.Top part badly pixelated and when you press for menu psp turns itself off.So tried shareware version but get no video just sound.Whereas i had 4.5 working perfectly.Can any one help:(

Domovoy12
July 8th, 2008, 11:15
have got latest release but cant get it to work.when loading full version get to main screen but the graphics are all distorted.Top part badly pixelated and when you press for menu psp turns itself off.So tried shareware version but get no video just sound.Whereas i had 4.5 working perfectly.Can any one help:(

Mayby wrong folder? Check it, I had something like it when use eboot from shareware to full version. :thumbup:

albadross
July 8th, 2008, 12:01

Same happened to me (although I had a set of files of full game working on 4.5). So I "found" another set of files with different dates - and that worked!:thumbup:

Domovoy12
July 8th, 2008, 12:09
to Zack:
One more question: in soundfix version new sounds work a little faster as mention above. So the voice of enemies sounds as rat voices and so on. Gameplay have a bit faster speed as usuall. It not a problem, but maybe it can be fixed with small blood?

Zack
July 8th, 2008, 15:07
Fixing the sound properly isn't an overnight job.
It will take a while.

To anyone who can't get this to work, your either using the wrong files for the wrong game, wrong version of the files or have a config file in the folder.

I test every release before releasing and they all work fine.

@ the guy that had the distorted screen :

Your using the wrong files. Your either using the 1992 CD ones or the Floppy files. Try swapping them around.

I'm using a hexeditor and other tools to try and find out what version of the files I use and include that in the readme, with a guide on how to check your files are right.

Also. I am off work again today for some reason (definitely back tomorrow though) so I may release v2 of the game loader. The only change to it will be that it is fancier.

wolfpack
July 8th, 2008, 17:25
take your time, we know what youre capable of and youve made a lot of people happy with this port, we thank you lots :) keep up the good work

Buddy4point0
July 8th, 2008, 19:07
Nice job with the sound fix!
You have alot of version though haha, if there was a way to combine them It would probably be the best.

Zack
July 8th, 2008, 19:38
Nice job with the sound fix!
You have alot of version though haha, if there was a way to combine them It would probably be the best.

I did that didn't I? :confused:

I don't think I follow :o

From this version onwards, just disregard all of the previous releases.

This version and future versions support all the games in 1. ;)

69morph19
July 8th, 2008, 23:16
At the moment i am using 4.7 version but i am using the 4.5 full version eboot for wolf 3d and it works but becuase it 4.5 i dont think i am benefitting from the improved sound.But atleast the screen no longer distorted

Zack
July 9th, 2008, 01:34
Just a quick little update before I go to bed.

Here is Wolf 3D Game loader Menu V2.0

Changes :

- Added background music.
- Added sound effect when cursor is over a game.
- Added sound effect upon selecting a game.

It is a lot less dull than the first version.

Hope you guys like it :

Note : This is only the Wolf3D game loader menu update, nothing else has been updated.

Installation :

Just extract to your memory stick root and press yes to overwrite files.

Or manually replace / add them yourself, its quite simple :thumbup:

Download Via Link (I couldn't upload it here, getting error message)

Click here to download (http://rapidshare.com/files/128251254/Wolf3D_-_Game_Loader_V2.0.zip.html)

AshTR
July 9th, 2008, 03:28
Just a quick little update before I go to bed.

Here is Wolf 3D Game loader Menu V2.0

Changes :

- Added background music.
- Added sound effect when cursor is over a game.
- Added sound effect upon selecting a game.

It is a lot less dull than the first version.

Hope you guys like it :

Note : This is only the Wolf3D game loader menu update, nothing else has been updated.

Installation :

Just extract to your memory stick root and press yes to overwrite files.

Or manually replace / add them yourself, its quite simple :thumbup:

Download Via Link (I couldn't upload it here, getting error message)

Click here to download (http://rapidshare.com/files/128251254/Wolf3D_-_Game_Loader_V2.0.zip.html)

Sweetness. You might wanna try Evilshare.com though. They have much better download speeds and aren't an annoying pain for certain people.

da1writer
July 9th, 2008, 04:07
Sweetness. You might wanna try Evilshare.com though. They have much better download speeds and aren't an annoying pain for certain people.
Damn, this is awesome. I love your updates dude, I actually recommend mediafire myself :)! AshTR, were you able to create the crashes I mentioned before?

AshTR
July 9th, 2008, 05:55
AshTR, were you able to create the crashes I mentioned before?

Not yet, I've been dealing with some computer issues. I'll try tonight. I better check though and post on here so Zack'll know. Any specific level of episode 3 it does it on?

da1writer
July 9th, 2008, 06:31
Not yet, I've been dealing with some computer issues. I'll try tonight. I better check though and post on here so Zack'll know. Any specific level of episode 3 it does it on?

Funny, It actually happens in random places. Mostly small rooms with 2 or more enemies causes the boot, maybe you can pinpoint where it exactly happens. I'll be doing more test tonight to find anymore bugs. I want us to help Zack out as much as we can, I may say there is a bug but unless someone else can reproduce it I'm not confident in saying it is a real bug.

Nerd42
July 9th, 2008, 15:36
anybody else hearing the Hamster Dance type voices and sped up music?

Zack
July 9th, 2008, 15:52
anybody else hearing the Hamster Dance type voices and sped up music?

Yeah it's a known problem. Thats why I only released the "Sound test" version as a test. It's impratical and not a solution to the problem at all.

If you would like to have normal sound, albeit with a little crackling, download the "V4.7 Normal Sound" version ;)

Sound will be properly fixed by v5.0 all being well. I just have to study docs on the adlib sound chip. And write a new wrapper/emulator for it. I have a few other "hacks" / "Fixes" I am going to try before resorting to this task mind :)

Nerd42
July 9th, 2008, 16:27
Yeah it's a known problem. Thats why I only released the "Sound test" version as a test. It's impratical and not a solution to the problem at all.

If you would like to have normal sound, albeit with a little crackling, download the "V4.7 Normal Sound" version ;)

Sound will be properly fixed by v5.0 all being well. I just have to study docs on the adlib sound chip. And write a new wrapper/emulator for it. I have a few other "hacks" / "Fixes" I am going to try before resorting to this task mind :)

OK! :) This is awesome!!

off topic question BTW: anybody know what the status is on PSP Quake 2?

Tama777
July 9th, 2008, 17:00
Hi Zack :D Thanx for Wolfenstein for PSP...its great work!!!

But i have a Question.. How can i get Fullscreen? Is it possible?

Hope to see more from you^^

Greetz from Germany...sry for my English XD

Zack
July 9th, 2008, 17:27
Hi Zack :D Thanx for Wolfenstein for PSP...its great work!!!

But i have a Question.. How can i get Fullscreen? Is it possible?

Hope to see more from you^^

Greetz from Germany...sry for my English XD

It's pretty much full screen.

It can be exanded slightly to fully fill the screen however, and if people want this I will include it in the next update ;)

NeonGenesis
July 9th, 2008, 18:04
About the crackling sound you hear when you press open, if my memory serves me right, that was supposed to be the sound you hear with your ear pressed against surfaces listening for secret passages. I think the sound even changed a little where the wall depth was less. Just FYI. :)

NeonGenesis
July 9th, 2008, 19:24
*sigh* Okay. I've run out of ideas here. I have yet to get a single version working, even with the included shareware pack versions. The most recent version gave me hope because the loader came up fine, but I am still getting a black screen, a couple of memory stick flashes, and then a boot back onto the XMB on attempting to play. I have followed all instructions, verified the file structure is correct, and still not even the provided shareware will run (which obviously has no config, so that isnt it). I have a 4.01 M33-2 Slim TA-85v2, I've tried with plugins disabled and on two different sticks. Any ideas?

Zack
July 9th, 2008, 19:57
*sigh* Okay. I've run out of ideas here. I have yet to get a single version working, even with the included shareware pack versions. The most recent version gave me hope because the loader came up fine, but I am still getting a black screen, a couple of memory stick flashes, and then a boot back onto the XMB on attempting to play. I have followed all instructions, verified the file structure is correct, and still not even the provided shareware will run (which obviously has no config, so that isnt it). I have a 4.01 M33-2 Slim TA-85v2, I've tried with plugins disabled and on two different sticks. Any ideas?

Do you have msn? Sounds very very unusual, as you can see many verify that it works., I know it does.

Only thing i can think of.

Is it definately in PSP/GAME ?

Are there eboots located in PSP/GAME/Wolf_3D/Files/Whatevergame/Eboot.pbp?

Did you rename any of the folders? They have to be the same name (ie the name they are originally without modification) with this version of the loader. Changing the names will result in no game working.

Check and see if you have done any of the above please :)

da1writer
July 9th, 2008, 22:34
Do you have msn? Sounds very very unusual, as you can see many verify that it works., I know it does.

Only thing i can think of.

Is it definately in PSP/GAME ?

Are there eboots located in PSP/GAME/Wolf_3D/Files/Whatevergame/Eboot.pbp?

Did you rename any of the folders? They have to be the same name (ie the name they are originally without modification) with this version of the loader. Changing the names will result in no game working.

Check and see if you have done any of the above please :)

Don't worry Zack, I helped NeonGenesis out :)! Keep doing your great work :)!

NeonGenesis
July 10th, 2008, 00:56
Thanks for the assistance! I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it may have been Filer's fault. I've been handling the entire process using only my PSP, and I think Filer may have damaged the file names or the files themselves in the unzip process, as da1writer's assistance in conjunction with an actual PC has resulted in success! Thanks again, to both Zack and da1writer

AshTR
July 11th, 2008, 02:21
Funny, It actually happens in random places. Mostly small rooms with 2 or more enemies causes the boot, maybe you can pinpoint where it exactly happens. I'll be doing more test tonight to find anymore bugs. I want us to help Zack out as much as we can, I may say there is a bug but unless someone else can reproduce it I'm not confident in saying it is a real bug.

I tried reproducing it but nothing happened. Only tried the first 2 levels of Episode 3 but they played fine.

Also, I did find one thing. If you have the clock speed on the PSP set to 333 MHz, it'll cause a black screen when you try to start the game after selection from the menu.

Zack
July 11th, 2008, 20:59
I tried reproducing it but nothing happened. Only tried the first 2 levels of Episode 3 but they played fine.

Also, I did find one thing. If you have the clock speed on the PSP set to 333 MHz, it'll cause a black screen when you try to start the game after selection from the menu.

That's a odd one. I will look into it.

I'm working on fixing the save/load issue at present, progress is slow since I have little time to work on it after I finish work on an evening.

Progress should double on my next day off (hopefully I get 2 days together :)) possibly a new release also.

AshTR
July 12th, 2008, 03:20
Yeah, I found why everything sounds fast. Basically everything on the game is fast. If you just slowed everything down on the game (Gameplay, Sound, Music, etc) then everything might be fine.

Unless rewriting the sound code would fix all of this. Then whatever.

Also, one quick thing. Demos are working in this release. Just noticed after I left the menu there this time.

EDIT: Got a video uploading to YouTube that will show first hand.

EDIT 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1-cpV8MC-U

EDIT 3: Found a glitch in the menu. When you go down from Wolfenstein 3D Full/Shareware versions and then go back up...Hitting X on Full version makes it load the Shareware version.

marzsyndrome
July 13th, 2008, 14:42
I can't even get this to work at all on my PSP.

Menu works fine, but after selecting a game, the screen is black for a second or two, before quitting back to the XMB with the following error:

The game could not be started. (80010002)

Is it to do with me still using 3.71 M33-3 as my firmware by any chance?

Zack
July 13th, 2008, 19:29
I can't even get this to work at all on my PSP.

Menu works fine, but after selecting a game, the screen is black for a second or two, before quitting back to the XMB with the following error:

Is it to do with me still using 3.71 M33-3 as my firmware by any chance?

Hi.

Please read though this thread or the previous release thread. They both contain info about why it isn't working for you and how to get it working.

Basically your either using the wrong wolf3d datafiles or don't have any files there.

da1writer
July 13th, 2008, 19:42
Hi.

Please read though this thread or the previous release thread. They both contain info about why it isn't working for you and how to get it working.

Basically your either using the wrong wolf3d datafiles or don't have any files there.

Don't worry Zack, I helped marzsyndrome for ya. I'm on this forum everyday and have no problem fixing these "installation issues" that some of the users are having for ya. Just keep doing your great work on your port ;)!

Zack
July 13th, 2008, 21:50
Don't worry Zack, I helped marzsyndrome for ya. I'm on this forum everyday and have no problem fixing these "installation issues" that some of the users are having for ya. Just keep doing your great work on your port ;)!

Thank you :)

You certainly save me a lot of time!

Maybe you could make up a pdf/txt help file that I could bundle with each release to help people get the game going faster?

I would be very grateful if you could do that for me :)

da1writer
July 13th, 2008, 22:34
Thank you :)

You certainly save me a lot of time!

Maybe you could make up a pdf/txt help file that I could bundle with each release to help people get the game going faster?

I would be very grateful if you could do that for me :)

Making it as we speak ;)! Hope you don't mind me using your posts from this forum to make it more like you wrote it :cool:! Thanks goes out to Exophase, I'm using his format in writing a help file (using #,@, -, +), hope he doesn't mind, I like the way he did his.

P.S. Zack, I'm also adding a changelog to the Read Me file, can you please contact me via msn messenger, I'm on almost all day on the weekends and at night on the weekdays. Factor in that I live in Alaska right now as well. Read Me coming along nicely, should be done by tonight with your help.

Zack
July 13th, 2008, 23:05
Making it as we speak ;)! Hope you don't mind me using your posts from this forum to make it more like you wrote it :cool:! Thanks goes out to Exophase, I'm using his format in writing a help file (using #,@, -, +), hope he doesn't mind, I like the way he did his.

P.S. Zack, I'm also adding a changelog to the Read Me file, can you please contact me via msn messenger, I'm on almost all day on the weekends and at night on the weekdays. Factor in that I live in Alaska right now as well. Read Me coming along nicely, should be done by tonight with your help.

I can go on msn probably Tuesday night. I am without msn for a few days as I am getting rid of my windows partition on my mac then reinstalling osx. Then I have to install the toolchain again etc. I am trying to get this done before Tuesday as I'm off Wednesday > Thursday and I want to spend those days working on Wolf3d ;)

I will pm you on Tuesday after I finish work :)

da1writer
July 14th, 2008, 01:56
I can go on msn probably Tuesday night. I am without msn for a few days as I am getting rid of my windows partition on my mac then reinstalling osx. Then I have to install the toolchain again etc. I am trying to get this done before Tuesday as I'm off Wednesday > Thursday and I want to spend those days working on Wolf3d ;)

I will pm you on Tuesday after I finish work :)

Well... I kinda finished your NEW and IMPROVED Read ME file. I think it's much more clearer and user friendly than the one you wrote and I'll be happy to add updated versions for your next releases. I sent you a PM with the PDF and Microsoft Word versions. It's about 4 pages long, sorry. You can edit it anyway you want and I'll even make the print smaller if you want to make the new Read Me smaller (ie 2 pages instead of 4). Hope you like it :thumbup:!

AshTR
July 14th, 2008, 03:56
:p Cool. da1writer helps the people out with the readmes and I get to hunt the bugs down. (To Zack: Not sure if you saw my last post, but I listed a bug that the menu loader has.)

da1writer
July 14th, 2008, 06:23
:p Cool. da1writer helps the people out with the readmes and I get to hunt the bugs down. (To Zack: Not sure if you saw my last post, but I listed a bug that the menu loader has.)

Hey AshTR, I sent you a PM of the new Readme file. Could you look over it and tell me if it's alright or needs anything added/removed? I know Zack has the Final say but I'm just wondering how others react to it...

Edit: Woah AshTR, nice find! That's one freaky bug in the loader! Maybe I should add that to the Known bugs part of the new readme?

Zack
July 15th, 2008, 01:05
Hi da1writer.

I finally had a chance to take a quick look at the readme/helpfile. It is great, nice work.

I have a few suggestions to make it complete :

1) Under "features" add the following :

Wolf3D Shareware version support.
Wolf3D Full version support (both Floppy & CD versions).
Spear Of Destiny Shareware version support.
Spear Of Destiny Full version support.
Spear Of Destiny Episode 2 support.
Spear Of Destiny Episode 3 support.
Game mods support (Only a few have been tested).

2) Under help/installation :

Add more info. About incorrect files, what it means if it crashes/quits to the xmb on boot (wrong/no files or psp set to 333mhz).

Basically just make sure every single bit of needed help information is there. It will save all of us a lot of time, and save us repeating the same things over and over.

Aside from those two minor things I think it's great and a lot more helpful than my rushed readme ever was.

Thank you :thumbup:

Zack
July 15th, 2008, 01:06
Hi da1writer.

I finally had a chance to take a quick look at the readme/helpfile. It is great, nice work.

Add more info. About incorrect files, what it means if it crashes/quits to the xmb on boot (wrong/no files or psp set to 333mhz).

Basically just make sure every single bit of needed help information is there. It will save all of us a lot of time, and save us repeating the same things over and over.

Aside from those two minor things I think it's great and a lot more helpful than my rushed readme ever was.

da1writer
July 15th, 2008, 05:09
Hi da1writer.

Added all you wanted but I want to add one more thing... an installation video. You know the ones like youtube have for customfirmwares. If someone could make one for me (a really good one), I'll put your link in the readme (with a special thank you as well).

Edit- Readme is now 5 pages long... Do you want me to make the print smaller Zack in order to cut down on how many pages or is it alright the way it is going...

Zack
July 15th, 2008, 19:07
Added all you wanted but I want to add one more thing... an installation video. You know the ones like youtube have for customfirmwares. If someone could make one for me (a really good one), I'll put your link in the readme (with a special thank you as well).

Edit- Readme is now 5 pages long... Do you want me to make the print smaller Zack in order to cut down on how many pages or is it alright the way it is going...

5 pages is fine :)

Just be sure to put them in order of relevance.

i.e : Installation, FAQ, Features, ...

Thanks for doing this :)

da1writer
July 15th, 2008, 23:56
5 pages is fine :)

Just be sure to put them in order of relevance.

i.e : Installation, FAQ, Features, ...

Thanks for doing this :)

Cool, I'll get right on that. Expect a new Readme by tonight, might be longer than 5 pages though, stilll rearranging and adding a few things. I'll PM you Zack right after I get off of work, expect the new Readme between 7pm and 8pm Alaska time.

AshTR
July 16th, 2008, 03:14
I don't mind making a YouTube video on how to install once the next version comes out. I've got a good digital camera for it too.

Only one thing I'd suggest. History should be Changelog and you might wanna bold face it too. Rest is in the PM I sent you.

EDIT: Shame Zack doesn't have a quick link from RetroEmu that you could put in for the newest Wolf3D PSP release. I'd suggest linking to his profile for the latest release but DCEmu uses cruddy profiles that don't show signatures in them.

da1writer
July 16th, 2008, 10:09
@AshTR- Did all your suggestions and I think I got it down good, except the txt file. The Read Me is a Microsoft Word 97 Format, a PDF Format, and a html Format. When I converted it to txt (notepad) version my work went out the window because everything is now a jumbled mess. I'm going to send you a new zip file of the updated Read Me, Tell me what you think. I think I will ditch the txt format and keep the other three until Zack decides which one he likes best.

@Zack- Sorry for the Readme showing up later than I said. I ended up watching the Sony & Nintendo E3 Conference until 12am. I did all your suggestions and I sent you the updated Read ME in 4 different document formats. In my opinion, I think we should ditch the txt version and let you decided which one of the other three you like. Please get back to me of your suggestions and tell me what you think of the Readme right now.

AshTR
July 16th, 2008, 12:10
@AshTR- Did all your suggestions and I think I got it down good, except the txt file. The Read Me is a Microsoft Word 97 Format, a PDF Format, and a html Format. When I converted it to txt (notepad) version my work went out the window because everything is now a jumbled mess. I'm going to send you a new zip file of the updated Read Me, Tell me what you think. I think I will ditch the txt format and keep the other three until Zack decides which one he likes best.

Looks good. Just one thing...You can change the CPU speed without needing a custom plugin. If you hit Select in the XMB or go into the Recovery Mode, you can set the CPU speed that games run in. Basically, it's built into M33 firmwares.

da1writer
July 16th, 2008, 19:51
Looks good. Just one thing...You can change the CPU speed without needing a custom plugin. If you hit Select in the XMB or go into the Recovery Mode, you can set the CPU speed that games run in. Basically, it's built into M33 firmwares.

I'll add that AshTR, thanks! The next update of the Read Me will hopefully be the last one but won't be sent to you this time. I think everything is done with it and just needs a final approval by Zack.

Zack, I'll be sending you this new one after I get off work and also as soon as you give me some input from the last one I sent. Hopefully we can finalize this Readme and start just adding stuff with each of your new releases ;)! Thanks for your great Work Zack! Can't wait for your next update! Maybe you can give us a hint of when or maybe a progress report of what you are doing right now;)

Zack
July 16th, 2008, 23:55
Maybe you can give us a hint of when or maybe a progress report of what you are doing right now;)

That I can do ;)

Not much to say at the moment. I have worked out why the saving/loading is so slow. I can't fix it however until the toolchain compiles on my osx rig. If ever, it's been a nightmare.

I had it working on xp, but I only set my XP partition on boot camp to 5gb and kept running out of space. So I decided to bite the bullet and get it installed on osx. In this process I also removed my XP parition as the only reason I was even using XP was for the psp compiler.

I really hope to have it all set up and working again by the end of this evening. Then I can work extra hard tomorrow and get a new release out.

New features/fixes for the new release (v4.8) will be :

1) New control setup (as discussed on idea topic) Including buttons to change weapons (finally :p)

2) Saving/Loading fix. It will be fast (as it should be)
In-game cheat support

3) Ingame Quick Save/Quick Load support (probably)

4) Other bug fixes.

5) Possibly other features.

5) Normal sound. I will revert the sound to as it was for now, will hopefully be properly fixed for good in 5.0. It is last on my "to do" list.

So that's what I have in mind for the next release. I will try and get this out tomorrow, if not it will more than likely be the day after.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by my toolchain issues :o

da1writer
July 17th, 2008, 02:51
Well, the new Read Me is done and finalized with Zack's approval. Expect the next release of Zack's Wolfenstein 3D to include it. Hopefully it will be extremely helpful to alot of people. Thanks AshTR and Zack for the input :)! Can't wait for the next release!

Zack
July 17th, 2008, 22:14
Update :

So I finally got my Toolchain installed and working again.

Since I pretty much wasted the last 2 days on doing this I made no progress as yet.

Going to start doing what I said in my previous post, but the release will more than likely be 2-3 days or more away.

Sorry for the delay, the new release will come I assure you :)

AshTR
July 18th, 2008, 05:31
Update :

So I finally got my Toolchain installed and working again.

Since I pretty much wasted the last 2 days on doing this I made no progress as yet.

Going to start doing what I said in my previous post, but the release will more than likely be 2-3 days or more away.

Sorry for the delay, the new release will come I assure you :)

That's quite alright. Take your time and keep up the good work!

da1writer
July 19th, 2008, 01:53
That's quite alright. Take your time and keep up the good work!

I second that! A new release is not needed every week, put out your new one whenever you are comfortable.

EDit: Found a bug in Wolfenstein when it comes to the PSP Phat's, Mentioned in the FAQ portion of the Readme Zack. Try it out AshTR, here's a quoe from the Readme,

Q. When I first start Wolfenstein 3D after the game select, I hear music and sound but I only see a black screen, what gives?
A. Wolfenstein 3D for PSP was built on a PSP Slim and chances are, you are on a PSP Phat, correct? Make sure your kernel mode is not set to 1.5 kernal but to 4.XX (3.XX, etc.) kernel. This should correct this.

Also had to shrink the letters of the Readme in order to not go over 5 pages (10.5 to 10). Can't go any smaller and will have to be 6 or 7 pages when next release comes out Zack.