PDA

View Full Version : Help Eviltaco64 decide

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2008, 03:55
Well, now that my Xbox 360 is broken (AGAIN), I've been contemplating selling it (after fixing it, of course) for another console.

This is where you guys come in. What do you think I should do? I've made a poll...voice your opinion.

I myself am really thinking about just selling it off and buying a PSP...

If I sell my Xbox 360, I wont be missing out on much, as I really havent used it much in the past. I dont know why, but I really am not a Microsoft fan (Lack of games that I want maybe).

I could sell it off for a Wii (and sell my Gamecube while Im at it), I think I'd enjoy Wii myself :), and homebrew is making it even better.

I could sell it off for a PS3, which I'd also enjoy very much (some homebrew, internet, the ability to put your own videos on it, a much more common hard drive standard, etc).

Or I could sell it, and get another Dreamcast, and properly mod my PS2, Gamecube, and Xbox.

But I could keep it, and maybe even mod the case, fans, and the system itself (or sell it off once it is modded for double the price :D)

What do you think?

Thanks for your time,
EviltacoKart64

Shadowblind
July 8th, 2008, 04:00
If you can't see any games you'd want coming out for 360, sell it for a PS3 and MGS4. Can't think of many other reasons to get a PS3 though, but Blu-Ray might be appealing to ya. I really wouldn't bother with a Wii, I haven't touched mine in months.

I'd wait till E3 to make any big decisions, since its only in a few days. After seeing the games I'd say make a decision.

P.S. You talk about modding the 360..if you mean modchip, can we still get banned from XBL for that?...

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2008, 04:05
If you can't see any games you'd want coming out for 360, sell it for a PS3 and MGS4. Can't think of many other reasons to get a PS3 though, but Blu-Ray might be appealing to ya. I really wouldn't bother with a Wii, I haven't touched mine in months.

I'd wait till E3 to make any big decisions, since its only in a few days. After seeing the games I'd say make a decision.

P.S. You talk about modding the 360..if you mean modchip, can we still get banned from XBL for that?...

I remember reading about a modchip that just flashed the DVD firmware and then went into some sleep mode so you could play backups and Live wouldnt detect it, but I wouldnt take any chances playing backups on Live

JKKDARK
July 8th, 2008, 04:16
Keep your 360.

pibs
July 8th, 2008, 04:25
its just flashing of a custom firmware on the 360 dvd drive. real easy to do and its pretty safe if you do it right and get the latest updates for it. As for backing up the games its a bit more difficult. U need a dvd drive you don't want no more, you take off the cover and use a certain program to do a swap trick to get the image. oh and u need dual layer dvds.

theres also a mod that helps you if you get banned ;)

the community is always one step ahead.

Mark30001
July 8th, 2008, 04:32
Sell it & put the money in your savings account.

Shadowblind
July 8th, 2008, 04:42
its just flashing of a custom firmware on the 360 dvd drive. real easy to do and its pretty safe if you do it right and get the latest updates for it. As for backing up the games its a bit more difficult. U need a dvd drive you don't want no more, you take off the cover and use a certain program to do a swap trick to get the image. oh and u need dual layer dvds.

theres also a mod that helps you if you get banned ;)

the community is always one step ahead.

Any chance to be able to backup my games would be worth it. I've went through at least 6 extra games because the da** thing keeps falling over. When its laying down the cat jumps on it and puts too much pressure on it.

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2008, 05:21
Any chance to be able to backup my games would be worth it. I've went through at least 6 extra games because the da** thing keeps falling over. When its laying down the cat jumps on it and puts too much pressure on it.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/256804599_0f129de504.jpg?v=0

Like this?

Napalm-Death
July 8th, 2008, 05:51
If you're an MGS fan, then sell it for MGS4 and a PS3.

splodger15
July 8th, 2008, 08:40
Looks like some evil cat. But go for the PS3 a far better console in the long run

acn010
July 8th, 2008, 10:02
lol... its a cool game man i recommend it

Eviltaco64
July 8th, 2008, 10:53
acn010, long time no see man! whats up?

Gizmo356
July 8th, 2008, 12:53
Sounds like your 360's giving you too much trouble lolz get a PS3........

-Xandu-
July 8th, 2008, 16:38
I'd say get a PS3, don't keep the 360. The PS3 has almost same games and better exclusives plus it's new.

JKKDARK
July 9th, 2008, 15:30
Don't waste your money on commercial failures ;)

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 15:39
Don't waste your money on commercial failures ;)

It's sold just as much 360 had last year. Keep in mind that 360 had a year head start.

JKKDARK
July 9th, 2008, 16:11
Yes, but most of the people bought the PS3 for the Blu-Ray movies.

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 16:17
Does it matter? People are BUYING it.
And soon even more will since its getting a lot of good games soon.
If people buy something, usually it isnt a commercial failure, no?

JKKDARK
July 9th, 2008, 16:43
It's a commercial failure for video games.

It's a good system for movies, of course.

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 16:51
It has plenty of good games. I dont understand why people still diss the PS3 like it still has the same amount of games it did in November 2006. Same with the PSP.

Shadowblind
July 9th, 2008, 17:12
It has plenty of good games. I dont understand why people still diss the PS3 like it still has the same amount of games it did in November 2006. Same with the PSP.

I've been researching the PS3 because I've been looking to buy one too. So these are my thoughts:

1) Blu-Ray player is great

2) Awesome exclusives include MGS4, LittlBigPlanet, God of War 3, possible KH3, possible Tales game, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Resistance 1 and 2. This includes both that have come out and will come out. Killzone 1 was a joke, so I don't expect Killzone 2 to even be decent. FFXIII- Lost interest after Square announced 4 new 360 titles.

3) Games released on both consoles technically do better on 360, mostly in terms of graphics but sometimes also in gameplay, though its the lesser of the two.

4) I haven't heard anything good about its online service yet :(

5) It doesn't have achievements but it will soon have trophies

6) After looking up what I have on Home, I can whole heartily say I honestly don't care for it.

7) Its Sony, which could be good or bad. ;)

8) 3rd parties aren't making titles due to costs and difficulty of development. While the devs may learn to make games easier on it, development costs will most likely stay the same.

9) Since you don't have a 360 as well, factor in the exclusives for it as well. If you need a list I'm more then happy to share one with you.

All in all I will most likely be getting a PS3 as well, but I wouldn't recommend it till after you have yourself a 360 too. it has some nice exclusives, maybe not as much good ones as the 360 (Honestly what does?) but they still seem fun. The half-assed online is gonna drive me nuts.

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 17:31
I've been researching the PS3 because I've been looking to buy one too. So these are my thoughts:

1) Blu-Ray player is great

2) Awesome exclusives include MGS4, LittlBigPlanet, God of War 3, possible KH3, possible Tales game, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Resistance 1 and 2. This includes both that have come out and will come out. Killzone 1 was a joke, so I don't expect Killzone 2 to even be decent. FFXIII- Lost interest after Square announced 4 new 360 titles.

3) Games released on both consoles technically do better on 360, mostly in terms of graphics but sometimes also in gameplay, though its the lesser of the two.

4) I haven't heard anything good about its online service yet :(

5) It doesn't have achievements but it will soon have trophies

6) After looking up what I have on Home, I can whole heartily say I honestly don't care for it.

7) Its Sony, which could be good or bad. ;)

8) 3rd parties aren't making titles due to costs and difficulty of development. While the devs may learn to make games easier on it, development costs will most likely stay the same.

9) Since you don't have a 360 as well, factor in the exclusives for it as well. If you need a list I'm more then happy to share one with you.

All in all I will most likely be getting a PS3 as well, but I wouldn't recommend it till after you have yourself a 360 too. it has some nice exclusives, maybe not as much good ones as the 360 (Honestly what does?) but they still seem fun. The half-assed online is gonna drive me nuts.

I got 360 :D

And the only reason 360 handles games better is because it's architecture is a lot more PC-based than PS3. If you were to make a game from scratch on the Xbox 360 and the same game from scratch on the PS3, PS3 would blow 360 out of the water.

Darksaviour69
July 9th, 2008, 18:15
I have to agree with ShadowBlind, well thought out list.

And the only reason 360 handles games better is because it's architecture is a lot more PC-based than PS3. If you were to make a game from scratch on the Xbox 360 and the same game from scratch on the PS3, PS3 would blow 360 out of the water.

Thats over simplify things way too much. Basicly the PS3 does have more power if its uses all Cell properly (don't think it will blow the 360 out of the water, no ps3 exclusive ps3 game has done that yet), but the problem is that is far harder to get the "full power" out of the ps3 because of the way the Cell structure works, so more time is spent programing for the ps3 which equals higher costs.

If you look at the saturn, its was as powerfull as the ps1 (have you seen Quake on the sat? )but was far harder to program for.

I don't see developers jumping ship as quickly as they did for that Sat, but its definitely one of the most important factors of this current generation.

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 18:28
I have to agree with ShadowBlind, well thought out list.

Thats over simplify things way too much. Basicly the PS3 does have more power if its uses all Cell properly (don't think it will blow the 360 out of the water, no ps3 exclusive ps3 game has done that yet), but the problem is that is far harder to get the "full power" out of the ps3 because of the way the Cell structure works, so more time is spent programing for the ps3 which equals higher costs.

If you look at the saturn, its was as powerfull as the ps1 (have you seen Quake on the sat? )but was far harder to program for.

I don't see developers jumping ship as quickly as they did for that Sat, but its definitely one of the most important factors of this current generation.

Ok, maybe "Blowing it out of the water" was too much. But it would be superior if it was programmed properly.

Darksaviour69
July 9th, 2008, 18:51
Alot of people are posting things like "the programmers were lazy" etc, but i'm telling you now, that I have never meet a lazy games programmer in my life. They get less pay, and work longer hours etc than programmers in other fields. Basicly at this stage is just harder to program for the ps3, thats not the developers fault. Hopefully with better middleware and more experience with programming with a cell structure, developers will cope better, but thats not going to magically get better over night.

But having said that, developers will keep making games for the ps3 as is still the market lead (ps2), its still a good bet long term.

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 19:04
Alot of people are posting things like "the programmers were lazy" etc, but i'm telling you now, that I have never meet a lazy games programmer in my life. They get less pay, and work longer hours etc than programmers in other fields. Basicly at this stage is just harder to program for the ps3, thats not the developers fault. Hopefully with better middleware and more experience with programming with a cell structure, developers will cope better, but thats not going to magically get better over night.

But having said that, developers will keep making games for the ps3 as is still the market lead (ps2), its still a good bet long term.

I dont think that the devs are lazy either. Im just saying that if PS3 gets ports of PC/360 games it'll get subpar ports most of the time (although not much anymore). But if it was programmed on the PS3 (like MGS4), it would be a lot more efficient is all.

Darksaviour69
July 9th, 2008, 19:13
yeah, i didn't mean to imply that thats what your doing, just that there seems to be alot of those types of comments about these days.

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 21:24
It's cool :)

pibs
July 9th, 2008, 22:14
Only thing I hate about the ps3 is the half assed ports, geesh if they gonna port something over atleast do it right!

oh and the fact I had to buy another damn controller to get dual shock....

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 22:22
What are the half-assed ports?
I know that The Orange Box sucked at first, but they released a patch and now, it works pretty good.
Name some of them so I can avoid them whenever I get PS3.

Shadowblind
July 9th, 2008, 22:32
What are the half-assed ports?
I know that The Orange Box sucked at first, but they released a patch and now, it works pretty good.
Name some of them so I can avoid them whenever I get PS3.

--Overlord
--Watch out for Eternal Sonata, they are having a ton of trouble trying to port it
--Lost Planet
--Rainbow Six Vegas
--Watch out for games released on both consoles. because of Developement issues one the PS3, they usually end up bad on both. This includes Timeshift, Dark Sector and a few others.

Those are just a few. I'll write more when I don't feel so bad because my entire Dynasty Warriors 6 review just got deleted by Firefox.

Eviltaco64
July 9th, 2008, 22:38
That sucks Shadowblind, I actually made an entire retro review for a SNES game earlier, was on my way to the DCEmu Review rules section to get a 4/5 logo in another window, and then that I got that "you got a message" window. I clicked ok and it opened on the window where I was writing my review. Safe to say I was pissed.

Mark30001
July 10th, 2008, 03:05
Yes, but most of the people bought the PS3 for the Blu-Ray movies.

Pffffttt... Everyone knows people bought PS3's just to resell them on eBay! :D /sarcasm

Eviltaco64
August 8th, 2008, 14:08
Well, this thread is a bit old now (technically I'm not violating anything since it's been 30 days since the last post :p), but it's been decided.
Today, I'm selling off my Xbox 360 to a friend who'd do much more with it...
It's an awfully problematic 360, and all I want from a game console is for it to work.
Keep in mind that this is my second Xbox 360 already. I've taken it apart and tried the penny fix, which worked, but made the xbox get a lot hotter. It doesnt overheat, just makes the fans spin more, which I guess can be fixed with a more modern Nyko Intercooler 360.

I'm done with the Xbox 360 for now. Although, I'd definitely buy another one once hardware failure rates dropped below 5% or they came out with a redesigned slim version. If you look at it, Microsoft seems to be doing some good things with the 360, and I dont want to miss out on it for the rest of it's lifespan...

But for now, I have my eyes on a 60GB Playstation 3 down at my local game store. It's used but in box for $430 USD and once I can get enough money, I'll hopefully be able to get ahold of it. I hope to have one within a month, and whenever I get one, I hope I'll see you on Playstation 3 ;)

JKKDARK
August 8th, 2008, 14:34
But for now, I have my eyes on a 60GB Playstation 3 down at my local game store

rip Eviltaco64