PDA

View Full Version : First PSP Trojan Reported

wraggster
October 6th, 2005, 21:10
Source - Slashdot (http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/06/191253&tid=233&tid=207)

Evangelion writes <i>"PSP hackers beware! According to <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3144414">1up.com</a> today, Symantec has identified <a href="http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.pspbrick.html">the first PSP Trojan</a> in the wild. Known as Trojan.PSPBrick, it turns the PSP into, well, a brick. With buttons. Users have to download and install it themselves, and as a result it effectively breaks the PSP."</i>

Yes we already reported this but could this be the start of the worrying new trend, remember kids stick to reputable sites like this one for releases that wont damage your PSP.

Takean
October 6th, 2005, 22:04
Thats pretty sad. Its pretty pathetic that people will make a virus for something just to destroy someone elses property...a toy even. I mean, computer viruses are common..but at least most can just be fixed or at least reformatting corrects the problem. But no..someone must make something to actually destroy someone elses "toy".

Maybe these people that do this...really need a life. Go on a date or two..and stop being a hermit around your computer thinking of lame ways to piss people off. If your so hell bent on making people mad...go play a pvp game or something.

As I said...this is pretty sad.

10shu
October 6th, 2005, 22:07
sony could secretly release virus to scare people off psp homebrew... what about that theory???

xmodx
October 6th, 2005, 22:08
Is there any chance that the virus' origin is from sony?
Maybe as punishment for running homebrew and maybe as an added incentive that after it bricks you have to buy a new one possibly 2.1

Hahaha oops look like we had the same thought at the same time

10shu
October 6th, 2005, 22:31
:)

xuphorz
October 6th, 2005, 22:43
ok, forget what i said about people not being stupid (and/or bored) enough to make something like this. hopefully it won't be incorperated into any hoembrew/emulator

PSPFR3AK
October 6th, 2005, 22:55
sony could secretly release virus to scare people off psp homebrew... what about that theory???
sustained

Psychondrius
October 6th, 2005, 23:09
It is certainly possible Sony released this virus disguised as homebrew.

- Psycho

Takean
October 7th, 2005, 00:37
It is possible that Sony would..but here is the problem.
First of all, I know I wouldn't buy another psp if mine bricked...because it already cost me an arm and a leg.
Second of all, how would it look for Sony if the virus was discovered to be theirs...not really good buisness on their end..to be seen as a company that try to screw their own customers out of their own brand...not a way to make money.
I really don't think its from Sony. I really think its just some lame retart that gets his kicks from hiding in his mommy's basement and making stuff to ruin other peoples fun. Nothing but some hermit getting off at other people's expense.

wraggster
October 7th, 2005, 00:44
If Sony were to do that and were found out it would be commercial suicide, every country would sue the arse off Sony.

Still worrying though

DraconumPB
October 7th, 2005, 02:01
Cnet had this up earlier today, and I posted a talkback saying that there are many new homebrew users not only due to people that purchased 1.51> PSPs and now have homebrew, or people who never knew about it until all the press came about for the downgrader. People are taking advantage of all the 'n00bs', if you will. I mean, if you really think about it, a good majority of the people who were playing homebrew three months ago were generally in the know, sortof...

I also said that anybody looking for a RELIABLE website should come here before going anywhere else.

I honestly and truly suggest this site to everybody before I suggest anywhere else, if I even do at all. It may be a little lacking on the aesthetics, but the content is always extremely accurate, up-to-date, and unbelievably honest. Wraggster is the 'God of PSP News!" =) And this is where I consider the best collection of all homebrew to be, at least that I've seen. I have this site's RSS on my Google homepage!

Thank you for putting out such a reliable site.

sitexec
October 7th, 2005, 02:45
This was first released on another forum as a psp-downgrader, it could have been released by anyone, because the code to brick a psp is on ps2dev.org forums and has been for awhile, its a simple flash6call and it simply replaces all firmware information. Search ps2dev.org if your interested, yoshihiro posted the code originally.

quzar
October 7th, 2005, 03:48
I don't understand how the hell this is a trojan. It doesn't follow any of the rules of a standard trojan horse. It's like someone renaming Harddriveformatter.exe to Supergame.exe and it being considered a trojan because people are stupid enough to run it.

sitexec
October 7th, 2005, 04:30
they call it a trojan, because stupid-user-virus sounds bad....

AKB
October 7th, 2005, 04:35
people like to see things go wrong, ofcurse when they created it. almost every electronic that can share transfer and store data is targeted because it is known to be well used by people and easy to full people downloading there virus's. Plus it could of bin made by accentant. some random code that triggers somthing in the psp to screw up.

Chrone
October 7th, 2005, 05:34
Plus it could of bin made by accentant. some random code that triggers somthing in the psp to screw up.

Yeah then he "accidently" released it as a real program...

The sony conspiracy stuff is so BS, like wraggster said that not only would bring countless lawsuits, it would have to be illegal and would dig Sony into a massive hole in the ground from which they would never get out of.

I'm sure a worldwide conglomerate like Sony would shoot themselves in the foot like that just to get back at the >1% of their customers that try and run homebrew...seriously now ;)

AKB
October 7th, 2005, 05:41
it could be a code that has bin used for somthing lets say a basic code for a emu, the code was wrote wrong and it is the cause of the psp blacking. then some dumb coder decideds to be lazy and borrows" the first part of the code so he can work less.

hey i just thinking of ways that it could be a accdent, like the thing is really called psptrojon.exe

DraconumPB
October 7th, 2005, 06:07
I doubt it's an accident, because it re-writes specific files that are known to destroy the PSP's firmware.

Think about it: somebody jsut made a simple PSP killing program and now Symantec considers it the first 'trojan' for the PSP! It's incredible! They must be REAL proud of themselves. Honestly, it's getting WAY too much press - I've seen it on practically every tech news site around.

Xarius
October 7th, 2005, 06:39
Honestly, it's getting WAY too much press - I've seen it on practically every tech news site around.

What bugs me is knowing that's exactly why it was created. Someone wanted to get publicity.

Regardless of who made it, the creator is in serious need of a cockpunch

RedKing14CA
October 7th, 2005, 08:05
SMITE IT INTO THE DUST!!!

psp virus, ew, that sounds horrible, it makes me gag...

well, my psp still hasnt come in the mail :(

Plude220
October 7th, 2005, 15:57
I have a fellin the culprit is among us in this very forums posing as one of us gathering information for his next big strike!!!!!!!

Scary HUH :confused:

colindecon
October 7th, 2005, 16:46
all the big companys make there own virus thats how thay make more money. microsoft made the 1min shutdown one so people had to upgrade to sp1 , also norton and mcafee make virus to keep them selfs in bussiness. and what about all them crap/fake files on kazza network the mp3 and videos the companys relese the bad ones to catch u out, hows that,, sounds good to me i think sony would do that sort of this to try and protect there little baby

RedKing14CA
October 7th, 2005, 16:56
~DAMN SONY TO HELL~

yeah i think sony made it too, i dont KNOW i just THINK

chrisvenn
October 7th, 2005, 18:38
Cant belive someone would do this sort of thing just to destroy peoples psp's and cost them loads of money. They need to get a life

RedKing14CA
October 7th, 2005, 18:50
exactly!

Spastic:
October 7th, 2005, 19:34
Do you think we can be assured that everything on this site has been scanned and is safe for downloading and running and will continue to be? This is the only place I go for news and homebrew, so as long as I'm safe here, I'm good to go.

Omoikane
October 8th, 2005, 03:08
no you cannot be assured. i just ran my antivirus program and got this. "The compressed file overflow.tif within C:\files.etc\downloads\[MPH_SXT] Downgrader1.0.zip is infected with the
Trojan.PSPBrick virus."

im not sure if its part of the program or what. but the virus is in there. its also in the other downgrader. so i have no idea.

DDD
October 8th, 2005, 14:16
Yep i second that i have just downloaded the downgrader from this site and another psp website and upon scanning the zip file it says its infected with the pspbrick trojan, This could be an false detection because the downgrader is supposed to replace the files in the firmware.

Anyway i dont have a clue im just guessing, But im glad ive got a 1.5 anyway i wouldnt want to risk it after all this.

Predator
October 8th, 2005, 20:56
All I can say is DONT PISS OFF any homebrew developers.
This was not an accident. Him/Her/They put this code in there on purpose.
Just watch out what you download.

That PSafeP even reconizes the Version Changer, and others. Because they read/write to the Flash.
I bet if we could decrypt the Sony Updates, they would be reconized as harmfull too.