PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Browser v0.2.0

wraggster
July 9th, 2008, 16:37
News/release from teknecal (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Homebrew_Browser)

http://www.youtube.com/v/GomiMbDH63o

The Homebrew Browser allows you to grab the latest homebrew applications and games all through your Wii. No longer will you have to take your SD card out to load the files or transfer the files from your computer to the Wii or even use your computer. Once you install a homebrew application and you no longer want it on your SD card, you can delete it as simple as that!

No more dead links, no more extracting files, no more finding out if there is an icon.png and meta.xml in the homebrew application/game!

Features
Auto updating when your Homebrew Browser version is out of date
One click download and install for each homebrew application
One click deletion of homebrew applications
Able to update your version of a homebrew application once an update comes out
Caching of the homebrew application pictures
Limitations
Currently this application is limited to receiving homebrew applications that only use a single file (boot.dol/elf). E.g. Homebrew applications that load images,etc won't be on the Homebrew Browser list.

Usage
Run the included ELF with your favourite method to boot homebrew . Uses the Wiimote Controller with IR.

A SD card icon under the homebrew application image means that you have the latest version of that homebrew application installed, while a clock icon means you don't have the latest version. You can update your installation of that homebrew application or install new homebrew applications by pressing A. You can delete homebrew applications provided that they have a SD card or clock icon by pressing B.

9 July 2008 (v0.2.0)

Supports applications which load files from the SD card
Added categorisation of homebrew applications
Ability to install HBB via wiiload
Updated tick icons
Updated "Download" image to change to "Update" if you already have the application installed
New icon displays even if you have an older version of the application
Fixed issue when downloading 4 applications HBB would exit
Does not download the icon.png file if you already have that application installed

Download and give feedback via comments.

mcdougall57
July 9th, 2008, 17:42
simplicity, thats what I like to see.

iofthestorm
July 9th, 2008, 19:31
This can autoupdate, correct? I'm gonna go down to my Wii and autoupdate mine, this is awesome!

Dr Eggman
July 9th, 2008, 19:36
Looks good, maybe i will try it.

Direct downloading to the SD would be useful.

agenericperson
July 9th, 2008, 20:56
good release. it reminds me a lot of the wii shop but for homebrew. no emulators though. and the only thing that really bugs me is it tells me the size of what im downloading but not how much room i have left.

domthegod
July 10th, 2008, 16:35
i think ive had a seizure.

dahun
July 10th, 2008, 17:11
i like the new gui.

it needs bgm and sound it just seems pretty erie without it and some homebrew isnt even on their

TechRat
July 10th, 2008, 18:00
teknecal, do you do all of the homebrew maintenance by yourself? If so, that seems like a lot of work for just one person; work that will only increase as the amount of homebrew increases. Have you given any thought to creating some kind of online system where the homebrew coders can upload their own updates? Maybe something where you initially put a new app into the system yourself, but then assign a login/password to the coder so that they can upload future versions?

teknecal
July 11th, 2008, 09:51
At the moment yes I do the maintenance by myself. It doesn't take too long once an application is updated but when new applications are added it takes a little while to make sure the application runs, that the image reflects the correct information, etc.

Maybe in the future (once text is actually printed onto a blank channel image) could developers upload their new applications. At the moment, they would have to a template psd file which they would need to edit and not everyone has Adobe Photoshop 2.

Though I can't really say how far into the future it will be. I need to find a normal font to be used on GRRLIB and things like alignment of text will be important, etc.

levy23
July 27th, 2009, 08:41
can you use this if your wii isnt chipped or unlocked?

djdynamite123
July 27th, 2009, 16:56
can you use this if your wii isnt chipped or unlocked?you just need to have the HBC