PDA

View Full Version : Sony: No plans for PS3 price drop

Shrygue
July 11th, 2008, 19:01
via Games Industry (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-no-plans-for-ps3-price-drop)

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has said that there are no plans to drop the current price of the PlayStation 3.

Speaking to investors, chief financial officer Nobuyuki Oneda said the company remains focused on profitability for its games division.

"Our strategy is not to sell more quantity for PS3 but to concentrate on profitability," said Oneda, reports smartmoney.com (http://www.smartmoney.com/breaking-news/ON/index.cfm?story=ON-20080711-000002-0000)

"Our plan is to not reduce the price."

The comments come ahead of an expected announcement by rival console manufacturer Microsoft that it will cut the price of its Xbox 360 Premium SKU by USD 50, to USD 299 this weekend.

JKKDARK
July 11th, 2008, 19:53
Ok, then enjoy the crappy sales.

Shadowblind
July 11th, 2008, 20:13
Too bad. I was looking in to getting one if they lowered the price. I can wait though, after watching some MGS4 gameplay videos of the levels I haven't played I really don't care about the game anymore.

Accordion
July 11th, 2008, 20:41
Too bad. I was looking in to getting one if they lowered the price. I can wait though, after watching some MGS4 gameplay videos of the levels I haven't played I really don't care about the game anymore.

Blasphemer!

MGS4's gameplay is amazing, so many ways to play with the enemy. Having certain acts represent previous games is brilliance.
The only thing wrong with the game is the story, massive disappointment compared with previous efforts.

On-topic, absorbing more losses than your competitors is not good business. The PS3 sells for a loss, a price cut is not good idea.

Shadowblind
July 11th, 2008, 20:47
Blasphemer!

MGS4's gameplay is amazing, so many ways to play with the enemy. Having certain acts represent previous games is brilliance.
The only thing wrong with the game is the story, massive disappointment compared with previous efforts.

I guess it really just isn't my type of game. the gameplay just looked too similar to FPS like Dark Sector, and the stealth didn't appeal to me in the slightest. I'll stick to NG2 if i want hundreds of ways to kill the enemy :o

The storyline is actually the part I thought I'd miss the most, but....

Accordion
July 11th, 2008, 21:24
I guess it really just isn't my type of game. the gameplay just looked too similar to FPS like Dark Sector, and the stealth didn't appeal to me in the slightest. I'll stick to NG2 if i want hundreds of ways to kill the enemy :o

The storyline is actually the part I thought I'd miss the most, but....

eh.

This is MGS not FPS! [ Dark Sector in third person but Plays nothing like it.]

If you don't like stealth you don't like metal gear, but dont compare it to NG2. I didn't say i liked that there are hundreds of ways to kill. A blade is a blade. If you liked Metal Gear you would know the fun is from playing with the enemy.

Shadowblind
July 11th, 2008, 21:37
eh.

This is MGS not FPS! [ Dark Sector in third person but Plays nothing like it.]

Thats not what my time with the game and gameplay videos told me. And Assassin's Creed felt alot more stealthy.

indeed a blade is a blade. Ninja Gaiden doesn't only have blades to kill enemies with.

Napalm-Death
July 11th, 2008, 21:42
Thats not what my time with the game and gameplay videos told me. And Assassin's Creed felt alot more stealthy.

indeed a blade is a blade. Ninja Gaiden doesn't only have blades to kill enemies with.

My time with the game (5 completed playthroughs!!) has told me that this game requires a lot of stealth. Have you tried the higher difficulties? o_O

pibs
July 11th, 2008, 22:21
Its a shame there isn't a price cut, there should be some sort of rebate (would be nice). I want to buy one for my brother 2 givem on his bday.