PDA

View Full Version : HackMii News - PatchMii (_core)

wraggster
July 12th, 2008, 00:44
News from Bushing:

Note: This is not a standalone, ready-to-use program — hence the name. If you need to ask how to use this, you’re doing it wrong.

We’ve been pretty bad about releasing source code lately, so this is my attempt to atone. I’ve been sitting on this code for a couple of months now — I wrote most of it a day or two after IOS37 was released — but I’ve been waiting for the mythical “right time” to release it in a useful form, and that hasn’t happened. So, I’m releasing it as-is, because I think that many people will find this code useful in its current form, and it can be used as a building block for more sophisticated hacks.

The idea behind PatchMii is that we should be able to replace Nintendo’s update process with one of own. The most straightforward way to do this would be to set up a “shadow” update server that would vend patched versions of Nintendo’s updates, and then patch the System Menu to talk to it instead of the official servers. However, there are some serious copyright issues with doing this, so this is the next best thing. This code should work with anything available on the Nintendo update server — IOS and channels (at least, the ones for which you can freely download a ticket).

In the example configuration provided, patchmii-core will do the following things:

Download the ticket and TMD for IOS37 from the Nintendo Update Server
Use the built-in key-management functions of IOS to decode the title key (no common key required!)
Using the TMD, download all of the encrypted contents from NUS
Verify the integrity of each content against the hashes contained in the TMD
Decrypt each content individually, look for versioning tags inside the binaries and display them
Look for the signature check, and patch it out. (I have included code that will handle all versions of IOS.)
Re-encrypt the contents. If necessary, recompute the hashes, modify the TMD.
Modify the title ID in the TMD and ticket to IOS5.
Fakesign the TMD and ticket.
Install this patched IOS37 as IOS5.

http://hackmii.com/2008/07/patchmii/#more-60

dahun
July 12th, 2008, 19:55
so trucha can be used again because i never got to use it

splodger15
July 12th, 2008, 20:44
"Serious copyright issues" I don't understand wasn't the same thing done with the PSP

dahun
July 12th, 2008, 23:09
hmmm..... there wasnt a problem with this with ps1, ps2, xbox, psp.

so y not wii?

so would an iso loader have the same prob?

BlueCrab
July 13th, 2008, 01:39
An ISO Loader serves no purpose to homebrew, and the only thing that it does is makes warez easier. Do not try to make the discussion go any further toward talking about ISO loaders, as illegal activities are not supported by this site.

I'd wager to say that the whole reason that Nintendo took action against the Twilight Hack (and to a lesser extent to the signing bug, the fix was aimed at Datel, porting the fix to IOS30 was most likely aimed at what I'm getting at) in the first place is because of the fact that you can combine Twilight Hack and the signing bug to warez Virtual Console games and WiiWare. If it weren't for this, Nintendo probably wouldn't have wasted their time.

dahun
July 13th, 2008, 17:16
i was just wondering
id done free mc boot to my ps2 becuase both of my gh dint work and i was sad and wanted to play.
same thing with the wii. if i scratch one of my disks (or gc) i dont want to have to do some complicated sodderring (i might if i dint have to pay like $50)
so if i ever learn to code and this hasnt been made yet ill start work on it

pulproute
July 13th, 2008, 17:25
I'd wager to say that the whole reason that Nintendo took action against the Twilight Hack (and to a lesser extent to the signing bug, the fix was aimed at Datel, porting the fix to IOS30 was most likely aimed at what I'm getting at) in the first place is because of the fact that you can combine Twilight Hack and the signing bug to warez Virtual Console games and WiiWare. If it weren't for this, Nintendo probably wouldn't have wasted their time.

I though that Bushing had said that he found the date of this update, its the 6 march 2008. And at this date the hacking of the virtual console haven't started yet. I think that Nintendo will always try to block homebrew if they can do it.

BlueCrab
July 13th, 2008, 22:46
File modification times can easily be faked. I really doubt they were "testing" it for all of that time.

Put simply, Nintendo wouldn't have bothered with it if the Twilight Hack wasn't costing them money in some way (which it was: enabling piracy). It doesn't make financial sense to do so.