PDA

View Full Version : Emulator running from XMB [[No Linux!!]]

wraggster
July 12th, 2008, 01:45
lolittle (http://www.ps3hax.net/other-misc-tutorials/5480-emulator-running-xmb-no-linux.html) posted this tutorial on how to get emulators running on the PS3 in PS2 Mode, basically you need a 20GB/60GB Backward Compatible PS3 and a SwapMagic Disk:

What we need:
Swap Magic Disc (v3.6) - Consolesource (http://www.consolesource.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=209_0_3_11) sell them
USB Memory Stick
A Pc
A Ps3

This method only works on ALL PS3's that are capable of playing PS2 games (20/60gb SKU's), and upto firmware 2.40. This does NOT work with NTSC systems.

[UPDATE]: We have reports that this method does work on 20/60gb NTSC SKU's that are running on firmware 2.10 (Anything above not tested as of now).

UPDATE : Tested and working on PAL 60gb SKU 2.41
UPDATE : Confirmed working on NTSC 60gb SKU Running FW 2.41 by ztkratos

Step 1

Download This .zip file :: Swap Magic Emulator Files (download via Comments)

And extract its contents into the root of your USB Memory Stick.

Thats the easy bit Done

Step 2

Put your new USB Memory Stick with the files on into your ps3

Insert the Swap Magic Disc and click the ps2 disc icon when it appears

Swap Magic Will now load ... you will have to press your PS Button to use control pad again here.

Step 3

Now press R1 + Up on the Dpad simultaneously and a menu should appear.

Press any direction on the Dpad and then Circle Button to enter Config.

Press again at default and then in the new list go down to 'MISC/' and press Circle Button

Go down one to 'FileBrowser' and yes press Circle Button again

Now the old config menu should appear go down to 'Ok' and press Circle Button

Step 4

At this point you have to make sure 'FileBrowser' text is gray by using Dpad directions and pess Circle Buttonwhen it is gray.

Here go down to 'MASS:/' the go down to 'USBD.IRX' and press R1 and then 'Copy' (press) Circle Button

Press Triangle Button to go back

Now go to 'mc0:/' and press Circle Button

Press R1 and then go down to 'New Dir' and press Circle Button

Name the new directory as follows

All American NTSC consoles - BADATA-SYSTEM
All PAL consoles - BEDATA-SYSTEM
All Japanese consoles - BIDATA-SYSTEM
Thanks Aries2k for this info

then press Ok

Enter the BEDATA-SYSTEM directory now and press R1 again then paste the USBD.IRX file there by chosing 'Paste' in the box

Press Triangle Button twice and then the PS Buttonand 'Quite Game'

Thats the hard bit over, its all plain sailing for now

Step 5

Now start Swap Magic Again

This time hold up on the dpad and then press L1

This will bring up the choice of emulators Pgen and Snes Station

Choose the one you want by pressing X Button

There you have it its all done !! :D

All You have to do now is get sume roms for the emulators :D :D

To answer most peoples question :: No you dont have to do the whole proccess each time you want to run the emulators, just connect the USB Memory Stick and go from Step 5

Please Search around the internet for USB SNES STATION, download it and place it in psxloader directory in USB Memory Stick

Mod Edit - changed the machines working on to all Ps2's that are backwards compatible form just PAL

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

trafony
July 12th, 2008, 09:14
No comments on this yet? I thought this was big news.

-Xandu-
July 12th, 2008, 09:24
I sure hope they make one for the non PS2 ones.

lmtlmt
July 12th, 2008, 09:44
well it isnt really big news since its not homebrew capable

trafony
July 12th, 2008, 09:47
Do the files need to be on a USB stick or could it be a memory card or even the hard drive?

Eviltaco64
July 12th, 2008, 09:53
PS2 Homebrew running from XMB would be a much better-suited title.

I thought you were talking about PS3 homebrew for a minute.

Mc_Logical
July 12th, 2008, 15:49
I sure hope they make one for the non PS2 ones.

How? when u need to use the ps2 swap magic disc, the only way it will happen is if sony do ps2 emulation in the firmware, they prob will in future, now if only u could run a ps3 iso loader through swap magic :p

Erban
July 13th, 2008, 02:46
I dont understand why this isn't more popular!?If an emulator can be run why not a buffer overflow exploit?Or what about a TITLE.DB exploit?If the Psp can make .psv files like the Ps3 for saving games why can't we lean how to re-package the .psv save file from the already HACKED Psp?All Im sayin is this needs to be explored more!!I guess you can call me a Noob for asking these questions but as you can see from my post count and my join date I usually dont bother anyone.

NoQuarter
July 13th, 2008, 05:18
Cool news,I'm gonna have to try this :)

hibone
July 13th, 2008, 10:55
I'm a little suprised theres only 8 posts to this. This is huge! Sounds complicated to me though. I wonder if someone could post a little rar file with all the file stuff done. Im not the most technical and im sure to fluff the set up.

Its good news though. someone finally got something running on the ps3 that sony didnt release.

Im sure its been asked before but why dont sony just release a genesis or snes emulator?!

Mc_Logical
July 13th, 2008, 14:16
I'm a little suprised theres only 8 posts to this. This is huge! Sounds complicated to me though. I wonder if someone could post a little rar file with all the file stuff done. Im not the most technical and im sure to fluff the set up.

Its good news though. someone finally got something running on the ps3 that sony didnt release.

Im sure its been asked before but why dont sony just release a genesis or snes emulator?!

Because that would prob involve sony having to pay SEGA or Nintendo to compile it actually into ps3 firmware?, and there is a ps2 game which has basically every sonic from master system to mega drive, so get that its prob cheap as chips now lol and in my opinion sonic was the best thing on mega drive, Sonic Mega Collection http://www.imageox.com/image/296278-411P35BWGY.jpeg

mike03$$$
July 13th, 2008, 22:44
i wouldn't consider this as a homebrew running from xmb but this is considered as a ps2 hack and not a ps3 hack really being ps3 actually has a part of the ps2 in it

lmtlmt
July 14th, 2008, 01:34
pal ones dont, only emulation software

trafony
July 14th, 2008, 03:07
PS3 hack or not, if you can run emulators on it, it's good news.

trafony
July 22nd, 2008, 04:16
Can anyone tell me why after I hit UP and R1 it freezes on me? This is driving me crazy.

-Xandu-
July 22nd, 2008, 11:21
Can anyone tell me why after I hit UP and R1 it freezes on me? This is driving me crazy.
This is not something you should be using and playing with... It's still a proof of concept.

tris20
August 1st, 2008, 13:12

dude i know the problem. it happens to me al the time to. do you know a solution on this prob yet or not?
but by the looks of things whe don't need to do that step because the usbd.irx file is already in the rar file. i gonna try it again and let you know about this. if you know already know a solution will you please pm me?

doc holliday
September 12th, 2008, 23:51
does it work and do you download it?

skinn3y
October 2nd, 2008, 17:45
Hey Wraggster, Thanx for an exellent guide really easy to follow, is there any way to get it all to run from my Memory stick Pro or SD Card ?

JonnyTanna
April 10th, 2009, 20:42
Does this only work for ISO's? Can you run PS2 backups that are on dvd already?

Also does it work on firmware past 2.50?

(Thankfully I'm still on 2.42 if it doesn't)

shorty_carnage
July 23rd, 2009, 20:16
works perfect for me

HawkZombie
November 15th, 2009, 09:32
Is there anyone who can confirm if this is still working or not? Also, the question about using memory cards would be awesome if anyone knew of a way to use those.

As it sits, you might be able to use a USB reader that has the card plug directly into the drive and just swap the cards in and out.

jxx2005
November 15th, 2009, 17:33
damn, i have one of the not backwards compatible ps3

HawkZombie
November 18th, 2009, 17:13
Got it working great, only problem is it does not recognize any roms I've got on the drive, or allow me to look through any of the folders. Has anyone figured out how to get it working?

pegasus982002
November 21st, 2009, 23:13
I'm almost done but can anyone tell me in what folder i put the rooms for sega and snes?

HawkZombie
November 24th, 2009, 21:51
You have to select a different type of load from the options menu...took me a while to figure it out.

When you get to the screen where you select the Emulators, hit select over the Emulator you want to adjust the options for. The SNES one only seems to work with C (I think, if it doesn't work I'll load it back up and check what I set mine to)...but note that it isn't a global change, it's PER EMULATOR. Also, PGen didn't seem to work for me so I went and found an updated version. 1.5.1 seems to work great with no adjustments. Then it doesn't matter where you store the ROMs...

I haven't fully tested the SNES one, but PGen works like a dream. the SNES one loaded a game, but I didn't play it.

aka_mikey
February 6th, 2010, 00:25
okay people if you want to get it working for usb you'll have to update both elfs to usb version by downing it and putting it in the psxloader folder.