PDA

View Full Version : Curfews could be imposed on teenagers to cut knife crime

wraggster
July 13th, 2008, 21:33
Curfews could be imposed for teenagers in troublespots in a bid to curb knife crime.

Ministers believe sweeping under 16s off the streets after 9pm would help tackle the rising toll of stabbings and knife-point muggings among young people.

Police would take the children home or to a safe place, such as a community centre, where mothers and father could collect them.

Parents would then be questioned about why their sons or daughters were hanging around late into the evening.

It is one measure set to be outlined in the Government's new Youth Crime Action Plan, to be unveiled on Tuesday.

MPs on the Commons' influential home affairs committee will this week say a national curfew could reduce violent and anti-social behaviour.

But ministers have rejected this idea. Instead, they will concentrate on trialling it in eight knife 'hotspots' across England.

Even though most knife attacks are committed by people over 16, increasing numbers of young teens are carrying blades. Recent murder victims have been as young as 14.

The plan is based on Merseyside Police's 'Operation Staysafe', which has seen a curfew operating in the notorious Croxteth, Norris Green and Clubmoor areas of Liverpool since last year.

A Home Office source said: 'Young people who are out at night are the ones who are often most exposed to some sort of knife crime.

'Under a curfew, the police would pick up kids under existing child protection laws and take them to a place of safety - either home or their parents will be asked to get them.

'It is also about parental responsibility. If it happens more than once then I suspect the social services would get involved.

'It is a warning shot across the bows for both the child and the parent.'
Police forces would be able to operate curfews in certain areas, or across the whole of their force.

A report from the home affairs committee is expected to say that a national curfew on young teenagers could curb anti-social and violent behaviour.

Keith Vaz, the Labour chairman of the home affairs select committee, said: 'I have sympathy with the view that children should not be out after 9pm.'

Environment minister Phil Woolas admitted that legislation targeting teen violence was failing, and added: 'There are parts of the country where for periods of time, you should be able to introduce curfews. We need a heavy police presence and fines for parents.'

Last week it was revealed that Devon and Cornwall Police were pioneering a curfew in troublespots in Redruth, Cornwall.

Under 'Operation Goodnight', the police can remove anyone under 16 seen on the streets after 9pm and any child under 10 after 8pm during the school summer holidays.

Meanwhile, a poll for the Sunday Times found that nine out of 10 parents wanted legal restrictions on their children going out after dark.

It is the clearest sign yet of the growing fear of violence on Britain's streets.

Some 53 per cent of parents said they would welcome a nationwide 9pm curfew for 10 to 16-year-olds, while another 35 per cent favoured a 10pm ban.

Patrick Mercer, a Conservative member of the home affairs committee, said: 'It is clearly something that has worked in Redruth and something we should consider nationally.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034697/Curfews-imposed-teenagers-cut-knife-crime.html

Buddy4point0
July 13th, 2008, 21:40
HAHAHAHAHA Europe.

Eviltaco64
July 13th, 2008, 21:54
Ministers believe sweeping under 16s off the streets after 9pm would help tackle the rising toll of stabbings and knife-point muggings among young people.

Police would take the children home or to a safe place, such as a community centre, where mothers and father could collect them.

Collect them?
I hope this doesnt happen in the United States anytime soon.

jamotto
July 14th, 2008, 00:30
Collect them?
I hope this doesnt happen in the United States anytime soon.

It already happens in the US.

JKKDARK
July 14th, 2008, 02:46
lol, it is retarded. Luckily it didn't happen years ago :)

Gizmo356
July 14th, 2008, 02:57
They have it were I live (U.S.) but its not really enforced.

splodger15
July 14th, 2008, 09:53
lol Does anyone think this will really happen... I mean common teenagers aint going to obey this I mean I won't obey it but then I aint 16 but my bro wont who's 13

Triv1um
July 14th, 2008, 10:48
They would never be able to enforce anything like this.

splodger15
July 14th, 2008, 20:17
They would never be able to enforce anything like this.

Exactly

Youth of today don't give a damm at pretty much anything how would they enforce something like this. Put more "Community support" officers they can't do nothing at all in some places they'll probaly just chase the community support boys off. I know one thing however the next time they try to stop me on my bike when I am riding on the pavement I aint bloody stopping. :rofl:

Dr._Zoidberg
July 16th, 2008, 16:06
The best way to stop teen knife crimes is to stab the little bastards. That'll learn them.

PX1296
July 17th, 2008, 01:53
They are assuming, by doing this, that all knife crime is caused by under 16s. Almost every murder or act of violence commited by a teen, that I've heard of in Britain is commited by a 16 or 17 year old. Why not make it under 18 instead? Under 21 is a little rediculous in my opinion, but 18 sounds just fine.

Still, there are still adults who commit knife crimes. What about them?

Why not make everyone, regardless of age, have to go home (Or to a shelter or something, for the homeless) at 9pm, then that would wipe out knife crime entirely.

Triv1um
July 17th, 2008, 14:56
They are assuming, by doing this, that all knife crime is caused by under 16s. Almost every murder or act of violence commited by a teen, that I've heard of in Britain is commited by a 16 or 17 year old. Why not make it under 18 instead? Under 21 is a little rediculous in my opinion, but 18 sounds just fine.

Still, there are still adults who commit knife crimes. What about them?

Why not make everyone, regardless of age, have to go home (Or to a shelter or something, for the homeless) at 9pm, then that would wipe out knife crime entirely.

All ages? Seriously?

That would cause mass riots leading to more stabbings.

You cant take people's freedom.

PX1296
July 18th, 2008, 00:06
All ages? Seriously?

That would cause mass riots leading to more stabbings.

You cant take people's freedom.

Yes, I know. I was of course, being sarcastic. I was merely exaggerating England's increasingly tight security.

I still think that if they do this, under 17 or 18 would be a better idea.

Man
July 18th, 2008, 08:09
Lol, good, f**king little punks, i never screwed around like that when i was a kid, two years ago.