PDA

View Full Version : Man Utd in no rush over new coach

wraggster
July 13th, 2008, 21:39
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson says the club are in no rush to appoint a successor to assistant manager Carlos Queiroz.

With less than five weeks to the start of the Premier League season, Queiroz left Old Trafford to take the job of coaching his native Portugal on Friday.

"You take your time with these things," said Ferguson.

"I knew when Portugal came for him that it would be very difficult for us. But we've good staff and we'll carry on."

Current United coaches Mike Phelan, Brian McClair and Rene Meulensteen are among the names said to be in the frame for the post, along with the likes of former Reds defender Laurent Blanc.

"It's always disappointing to lose good men and Carlos was a good man," added Ferguson.

"He was honest, very loyal to me and a good coach, who brought a lot of initiatives that we now carry on.

"He has taken a challenge on that people do, if they have that patriotic passion and the nationalist fervour to go and manage their country. He's got that."

606: DEBATE
Personally, I would LOVE Roy Keane to return to Old Trafford

deafheisnot
Ferguson was speaking following his side's first pre-season run-out, a 2-0 win over his former side Aberdeen in a testimonial for the Dons' European Cup Winners' Cup-winning side of 25 years ago.

The Scot enjoyed the chance to remember his first triumph on the European stage, but made sure the occasion did not overshadow his focus on the team's performance at Pittodrie.

"It was a good day for me, it was emotional driving up to the stadium and seeing people you haven't seen for years," said Ferguson after a first-half Michael Carrick penalty and a Wayne Rooney header gave United a 2-0 win.

"It was our first game and it was quite an open match and easy for both teams.

"They had a couple of chances and we had to defend well at times so it was good.

"Wayne had a couple of chances in the first half and made some nice runs round the shoulders of defenders which could have got us a couple of goals.

"He made the goal and scored the header so he will be happy."

Ferguson refused to answer questions on Fifa president Sepp Blatter's recent comments about Cristiano Ronaldo's future at the club
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7503710.stm