PDA

View Full Version : PSP News & Lik Sang 30 Day Coding Competition

wraggster
October 8th, 2005, 00:39
http://image.lik-sang.com/shop/top-logo-new.gif

PSP News (http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk) & Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/default.php?lsaid=219793) are proud to announce the first 30 day Coding Competition for the PSP, starting now the 8th of October 2005.

You can submit any software that works on the PSP including apps, emulators, games, demos incuding the likes of Lua. Multiple entries are allowed

Heres the rules:

-The contest will run from October 8th 00:01am 2005 to November 7th, 2005.
-The contest will end at 11.59pm gmt , (the end of November 7th , 2005).
-Submissions for the contest should be sent to [email protected] or messaged to wraggster on the DCEmu UK forums or posted in the Private Developers Forum
-Submissions must be new or updated releases and ones that havent been publically released before the winner of the contest is announced.
-Submissions will be posted over a 2 day period or less if the amount of entries is small starting November 8th.
-Multiple entries are allowed although only the best entry will win prizes.
-Entries must be freeware so that when tournament ends they can be distributed.
-This competition is open to anyone and all software for the PSP.
-The Judging will be done by 5 selected DCEmu Forum Members after a poll decides who the top 5 entries are.
-The winner will be announced on the 12th November 2005.

The Competition has one prize and thats a complete package of essential PSP accessories full details can be found on the competition page here --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp30codingcomp.shtml

Good luck to all :) (Who got it right on the post i made last night?)

vincesecuricor2005
October 8th, 2005, 00:51
so does that mean that nobody will release anything even if its a massive breakthrough til nov 7th or it wont b eligable 4 the comp?

englishrick
October 8th, 2005, 01:12
So was this the big news you were on about wragg?????????

vincesecuricor2005
October 8th, 2005, 01:15
it is a bit dissapointing 4 anyone who cant especially if it means that potential breakthroughs will b held bk til nov 7th but it might get some more great stuff out all told, hmm

Valiant
October 8th, 2005, 02:28
was hoping it as psx emu for psp that works X_X

Insane1
October 8th, 2005, 02:30
If I can recall, there were some coding competitions like this for the GP32. Most of the time, some pretty darn good programs came about because of them. The GP32 got a near-full speed SNES emulator as a contest winner for one. *I believe it was near-full. At least that's what I've heard. I never got the money to actually purchase a GP32 and test it. :( *

Tron_Fan
October 8th, 2005, 02:54
*yawn*

xmodx
October 8th, 2005, 02:56
Pssshhhhh anti climatic

not here anymore
October 8th, 2005, 03:07
So basically lik-sang is having a contest with stuffs that's forbidden to use on the PSP? (you're not supposed/allowed to use homebrew on the PSP from Sony's pov).
Interesting...
Later,

TSR

stormuk
October 8th, 2005, 10:04
You remember well the GP32 did indeed have these, and what everyone is missing with all the moaning is that it gives a fresh influx of software. It attracts people who otherwise wouldnt code for the psp to do so.

Im hoping for stick drum man :)

Though with the attitude of some of the selfish people who want it all for free and now! Im suprised if they will bother. One thing the GP32 scene did have, is a respect for the coders, something missing in the psp scene.

vincesecuricor2005
October 8th, 2005, 14:43
i have nothing but respect for the coders as without them there wouldnt b a homebrew scene to talk about im jus impatient (my right as a brit) to get my hands on all the latest stuff straight away

Psyberjock
October 8th, 2005, 15:59
Maybe this will prompt the Psix team to release something for us. I've been waiting for that peice of software longer than possibly any other piece on the scene. Here's hoping for a Psix Nov 7th release date.

For anyone working on Psix reading this; you've got a real chance!! Don't pass up the chance for some great free stuff!!

Did I mention its great?!

I'll vote for you! Remember the poll??

*Edit: I must agree that this is quite anti-climatic. I was expecting something that included us inept users as well. I can fix bugs based on programming theory but as far as actually sitting down and creating a program from scratch? Forget about it! At least nothing more than a Hello World! program, and from what I hear, that's already been released. (darn!) (*hoping that soft explitive makes it past the censors for comical effect :D )

Sir Crx
October 8th, 2005, 16:14
What are the rules for a "coding"? Can we modify the code for a current program if it makes it 10x better? Or do we HAVE to start from scratch like jock said?

Im just starting to program. I highly doubt ill win anything but I think its a good chance for some nice motivation! Im in!

poison2003
October 8th, 2005, 16:41
so is this the staurday surprise??

Sir Crx
October 8th, 2005, 17:06
so is this the staurday surprise??

Yes.

poison2003
October 8th, 2005, 17:21
thats dissapointing i brought my hopes to high

LloydKansas
October 8th, 2005, 17:42
I have a pretty good idea... How about a Rägnarok Online port for PSP? I've been thinking about it for awhile, but since I have no programming knowledge I wouldn't be able to do it alone, at least without a lot of help. I've already got a pretty nice button layout worked up for it, and the game doesn't require very high specs, so I think its completely doable. The only problem I can see would be getting permission to use the official client and server, but there's a TON of private servers available that I'm sure you could get permission from. I'm not completely sure how far coders are on getting the WiFi working, but I know it's possible too. Even though you would probably need anywhere from a 512mb to a 1gb stick to store the full game, once the Datel HDD and the NeoMS-converter come out I can see it as being fully accessible by everyone. :)

Festizzio
October 8th, 2005, 19:18
Dang, I want to start coding for the PSP sooo bad. I've just been seeing these awesome releases one after another, and I really want to contribute, but I have no idea what to do when it comes to programming or coding anything :(

jimjamjahaa
October 9th, 2005, 00:56
woot. *puts programming hat on*

had an idea for a while, pure pwnage... it will own!

Psychondrius
October 9th, 2005, 01:49
My hat's off to any of ya who win this competition. Id suggest coding something that the PSP can do but nobody has accomplished yet. Maybe server/client homebrew for transferring files PSP2PSP through wifi? Just a thought. GOOD LUCK.

- Psycho

AKB
October 9th, 2005, 02:05
this is sooo cool, form the post yesterday i guessed right! i think its on the 3rd or 2nd page i said it could be a compitition for hombrew or somthing like that! iam so proud its like i knew the way things work! for proof go look on that post, cause i dont even have to look cause i know i wrote it!

PSP_Newbie
October 9th, 2005, 03:43
there are already is a app to transfer PSP-2-PSP, not through WiFi, but through IR
i havent tried it, and i heard its slow tho, a nice, fast, file-sharing prog through WiFi would be cool

Psyberjock
October 9th, 2005, 09:44
I think a port of XBMC from the xbox would be nice. There's all the source code available and even stripped down versions of it. Or you could take the older version that's no longer updated but still kicks butt. Maybe it would be more work than its worth to port it, but it could at least be a good guide for what to do. Streaming video on my network would be great! I could watch movies while cooking or bathing or crapping or whatever! Ahh, good times.