PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew going down the hill - An article by Kojote

wraggster
October 8th, 2005, 21:02
The recent Brick inducing PSP/DS Software has claimed many victims, more DS than PSP, heres an article from the respected Kojote of PDRoms (http://www.pdroms.de/index.php)

just can't hold myself back but there are a few things which have to be said right now.

Recently the PSP and now the DS are affected by malicious programs, which are able to break your handhelds. The sense of this action is just right beyond my understanding and the understanding of most developers I know. People who are new to homebrew might be tricked to run a program, which will destroy their hard paid off system. Not everyone can afford a new one - and it's not clever to trick new people into running code which is really doing bad things. Many people will get a wrong opinion about homebrew software and this is what i don't want.

The PSP is affected in two ways:

There is a FAKE downgrader which ****s up your bios, the chance of getting it back to work is almost zero
Recently Symantec also figured out the first VIRUS for the PSP. It doesn't spread it self, but it ****s up the bios as well.

The NDS is affected in this way:

The DS bricker will overwrite some regions of the bios and it will be extremly hard to recover anything.

All that stuff might have been developed to show skills, but never forget there are kids who don't understand anything about it and they forward those things to their friends to fool them. More and more system will be bricked - Is this what we need? Things will spread over Bittorrent and E-Mule and reach hundrets of people - hundrets of people who are now in potential danger to brick their system.

Exactly such a behaviour shows companies as Sony that they are right with upgrading their firmware again and again, and finaly eleminate EVERY SINGLE EXPLOIT which is found. If there are no exploits left, you can't run any homebrew. This could be the dead of everything people were supporting for years.

Until further notice:
* NO NEWS ON PDROMS

Homebrew over - at least for the next days.

I hope my words will ring a bell in some people head. A general warning to everyone who is new to homebrew, please only get things for a serious source and avoid warez, as playing commercial games for "free" might be a bigger target. You shouldn't play warez at all anyway.

Thanks for everyone who keeps on destroying the homebrew scene - Thanks for destroying the hard work of many people - Thanks for destroying the effort people used to get everything working.

Stew2000
October 8th, 2005, 21:35
Sad Sad news, If I found out who is responsible, I would go round their house and kick em' in the nuts!

SchmuckofNI
October 9th, 2005, 01:57
It sounds like someone needs to create a program to scan homebrewn psp apps/games for psp viruses/trojans before you install it on your psp. Then again this isn't the first time something like this has happened, I believe someone created a virus for the dreamcast as well. Still sad nevertheless..

AKB
October 9th, 2005, 02:00
if there is a kpliot for the psp version 2.0, it should automaticly detect these problems, or even make a new pliot for the 1.5? it would not take anytime nad keep everything safe!

AKB
October 9th, 2005, 02:07
so there will be nothing new for a while?

colindecon
October 9th, 2005, 09:43
well people should come to this site first for conformation on what home brew works. try to spread the word that dcemu.co.uk is the safe place to be. maybe wraggster can start a campaine to inform of homebrew makers to come to this site to cheack and download the software.

Stew2000
October 9th, 2005, 10:03
Hmmm... I think i'll make a small sig for all the forums that I goto.

shadowprophet
October 9th, 2005, 19:38
Most usualy any really nice D/L here is checked out before its even posted.
We can thank wraggster for watching out for us here in the dcemu family :D