PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto finds Xbox avatars "flattering"

Shrygue
July 16th, 2008, 21:43
via Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=186006)

Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has said he is flattered that Microsoft pinched his Mii idea.

"To see that a company like Microsoft has taken something we've done and kind of looked at it in a way and brought it out on their platform to kind of show that we've done has become the standard, I find quite flattering," Miyamoto told IGN.

Miyamoto is confident that each company will take its avatar system two separate ways for two different audiences, despite Microsoft appearing to be after the casual audience that has been so lucrative for Nintendo and its Wii.

"On the other hand, I think probably the basic ideas behind perhaps those two different systems are different, and because of that I think they will probably develop in different ways," said Miyamoto.

Microsoft unveiled its avatar system during its E3 press conference on Monday evening. It is to be part of a completely redesigned Xbox 360 dashboard that will go live this autumn.

ninja9393
July 16th, 2008, 21:49
well, at least he took it a good way

AndrewArsonn
July 16th, 2008, 21:55
Hm..Well nintendo HAVE been around making consoles before they have.
They only flaw with the mii's is that they have balls for hands, and they can't wear shirts other than something that looks like someone spray painted their torso, and arms.
( I dunno, it just gets me)

ICE
July 16th, 2008, 23:07
I find them as nothing but a ripoff of home and miis.

mcdougall57
July 16th, 2008, 23:41
If its fine with miyamoto then its fine with me.

Dull Blade
July 17th, 2008, 06:37
lol microsoft. that isnt your target audience. Your target is the hardcore audience. If you suddenly go all casual on us, that whole market of hardcore gamers will be sony's. Personally I like MS' settup on the 360, and I'm hoping this frimware change wont be mandatory

AndrewArsonn
July 17th, 2008, 16:10
lol microsoft. that isnt your target audience. Your target is the hardcore audience. If you suddenly go all casual on us, that whole market of hardcore gamers will be sony's. Personally I like MS' settup on the 360, and I'm hoping this frimware change wont be mandatory

Dude, they are already casual,
with those shitty quiz games "for the whole family and for parties" and guitar hero and rock band (I personally got sick of guitar hero fast and rock band)
I just like seeing RPG's with deep gameplay, and that's pretty much it, that and mmorpg's, ps3 needs one i think. Would be nice if the Wii got one but I highly doubt it would happen.

Steely
July 17th, 2008, 18:38
These avatars remind me of the characters in Rock Band for some reason.

It's pretty funny, and I thought it was something too obvious for Microsoft to copy that they wouldn't. I guess I was wrong, but whatever. Miis and avatars are used differently overall, and frankly I prefer the Miis to the generic avatars. :)

And I don't think this will turn Microsoft into some casual system, but it reminds me more of typical online games for PC where you can create your avatar and such. Also, during the Microsoft Press Conference, I really did laugh when they were almost bragging about those quiz games and uno games. lol

wiggy fuzz
July 17th, 2008, 18:54
ok, miyamoto - now pinch microsoft's idea and super charge that wii with some power :rolleyes:

kevenz
July 19th, 2008, 22:41
The only reason I keep my Wii is for the VC/Wiiware, the main games this year are going to be shit...... except maybe Wario Land.