PDA

View Full Version : Sony Knows What Went Wrong With the PS3

Shrygue
July 16th, 2008, 21:59
via Gizmodo US (http://gizmodo.com/5025980/sony-knows-what-went-wrong-with-the-ps3)

In a non-exclusive round table with various outlets like us, Kotaku and Engadget this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment America's CEO Jack Tretton gave us some great looks behind the public curtain of the PlayStation brand. In short, they know what's wrong with the way they made the PS3, and they know how to fix it. In Jack's words, "we know what we're doing," but it's going to take a long time to atone for past missteps.

As everyone knows, Sony is a hardware company. But when making the PlayStation(s), they've become a software company as well. The problem came from the fact that they didn't know whether they're a software company or a hardware company or even both, which influenced the way the PS3 was developed. In this case, the hardware guys developed the console fairly independently then dumped it onto the software guy's lap, effectively saying "do something with it." In essence, as Tretton says, the PS3 was not developed in collaboration between the two teams. As a result of this, the software team has been cleaning up the mess made by the hardware team for years.

This is one of the biggest problems with Sony as a whole. Their UI designs are not as good as they could be because much of the company still sees themselves as a hardware force first and a software firm second. Hopefully with previous boss Ken Kutaragi out and guys like Kaz Hirai and Jack Tretton influencing development on the sure-to-be-upcoming PlayStation 4, things will be better in the next generation.

mcdougall57
July 16th, 2008, 23:53
If thats what the problem is then what the hell are you meant to do about that? It's not like the architecture can be changed now.

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2008, 00:31
They need to retire from the gaming industry

DPyro
July 17th, 2008, 01:08

And you need to retire from posting in this section of the forum.

Napalm-Death
July 17th, 2008, 02:08

How much did M$ pay you to say that?

JKKDARK
July 17th, 2008, 03:00
Having a good time with their stuff is enough.

MicroNut
July 17th, 2008, 08:48
I am surprised that they are even allowed to talk PS4.
The PS3 hasn't even gotten started... ungh.
(All I want is WipeoutHD)

Its odd to me how history seems to repeat itself.
The Sega Saturn died on the hardware trumps software card.

The original Playstation showed how important it was to make a console easy to develop for (as well as make it powerful)

Now it looks like Sony made the hardware trumps software mistake again.

Microsoft took all those lessons in spades with the 360.
Powerful and easy to develop for.

On a positive side note the PS3 is shaping up to be one hell of a secure console.

If MS had not overlooked securing the DVDROM Bios it might still be a secure console as well.

Panini
July 17th, 2008, 09:07
What went wrong??

*Way overpriced
*lack of quality original class A first party games,
*huge delays in game release dates
*removal of ps2 emulation in Pal machines
*recieves regular sloppy ports from xbox
*All devs seem to find the machine impossible to code for
*not very good xmb in-game voice chat
*lack of quality psn titles...

Apart from being an excllent media device and having built in bluray theres not much to big up right now. Xbox has better software where as ps3 has better hardware - games sell gameing machines though! ps3 owners always bring up the rrod thing but would you rather deal with hardware that breaks occasionally, or software that is broken every single day?

ANd now they going to redeem themself sometime in the future and are also talking PS4? :rofl:

I am surprised that they are even allowed to talk PS4.
The PS3 hasn't even gotten started... ungh.
(All I want is WipeoutHD)

Its odd to me how history seems to repeat itself.
The Sega Saturn died on the hardware trumps software card.

The original Playstation showed how important it was to make a console easy to develop for (as well as make it powerful)

Now it looks like Sony made the hardware trumps software mistake again.

Microsoft took all those lessons in spades with the 360.
Powerful and easy to develop for.

On a positive side note the PS3 is shaping up to be one hell of a secure console.

If MS had not overlooked securing the DVDROM Bios it might still be a secure console as well.

Being a secure conosle isnt a great selling point really? :rofl:

Like you say I see pS3 following sega trend and going like the dodo. :eek:

Accordion
July 17th, 2008, 09:27
Lets give people a bit of perspective, the PS3 has done many things very very well.

Completely secure system

Open system in terms of peripherals using consumer standards and non-proprietary products. Any usb/bluetooth navigation device will work, any usb or bluetooth headset will work, any camera will work, any external storage, and any 2.5 inch HDD will work.

Full DivX support

Full Blu-ray support

Capable web browser

Sony is still the only company to fully embrace digital distribution. PS3 is the only console pushing for full games being released on the online store.
While others insist on very harsh size limits and restrict storage possibilities.

As stated before only Sony has such strong first party developers, which incidentally are more than capable of working with the PS3.

Maybe people are not ready for such an open system?

Baboon
July 17th, 2008, 09:54
Apart from being an excllent media device and having built in bluray theres not much to big up right now. Xbox has better software where as ps3 has better hardware - games sell gameing machines though! ps3 owners always bring up the rrod thing but would you rather deal with hardware that breaks occasionally, or software that is broken every single day?

Agreed! :thumbup:

Accordion
July 17th, 2008, 11:15
Agreed! :thumbup:

What PS3 titles are broken?

Perhaps some older ports were of a lower standard, but no games have been sub par since.

jonezybaby
July 17th, 2008, 13:54
i think JKKDARK should be banned for bein a brown tongue t***, every1 knows u hate sony and playstation so give it a ****in rest, WE DONT GIVE A SHIT!!!!

back on topic, its nice 2 see that sony knows wat went wrong and plan 2 improve, mebe microshite will start brickin it soon?

F9zDark
July 17th, 2008, 22:13
This really isn't anything new, in my opinion. Sony's mistakes in the past have been due to lack of communication between the regional corporations.

In all honesty, it seems to me that Sony operates more like an Oligarchy than a real business. Their different corporate "arms" are detached, doing their own thing, yet working towards the "wishes" of the Sony banner.

No company should work like that. Sony's Corporate HQ should know what exactly is going on, at every second of every day at the other Corporate offices, Manufacturing plants, Distribution plants, etc.

For God's sake, why would the Hardware team and Software team work "independently" of each other? Hardware REQUIRES software to run properly and effectively.

If I were in a position of leadership within Sony, I'd fire the managers (Hardware or Software, or both) who were responsible for the incongruence.